Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Oh yeah, a palm nailer is also useful to have, especially if you need to drive a nail somewhere where you don't have room for swinging a hammer or the full-size nailer. I found mine a little tricky to work with; it required a very specific "approach" to drive the nail effectively, so I stuck with swinging a hammer for most nails. But you do want a palm nailer handy when doing construction IMO.

I didn't get up to the Larry Huan level of "drive a 16d nail with a single swing", but with a little practice it's not too hard to drive the nail with only a few swings.

What sold me on palm nailers was joist hangers and hurricane ties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Motronic posted:

That's what I initially was using it for. But it proved to be useful in general. Wouldnt want to frame a full house with one, but they come in handy for general use when you're not putting in 500 of the same nail.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Motronic posted:

Oh god drat EVERY loving YES. You haven't experienced life until you have to nail ~15 pounds of Tico nails into appox 400 strongtie hangers of various flavors, and wedged into ever increasing terrible positions. A palm nailer is loud, and sucks air, but it's about a billion times easier to attach a hanger with ~6 inches between the studs.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Oh god drat EVERY loving YES. You haven't experienced life until you have to nail ~15 pounds of Tico nails into appox 400 strongtie hangers of various flavors, and wedged into ever increasing terrible positions. A palm nailer is loud, and sucks air, but it's about a billion times easier to attach a hanger with ~6 inches between the studs.

You're giving me flashbacks

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Thanks for the replies, cabin will be approx 4*3m, 2*4” frame, 2x6 roof, OSB outside the frame, cladding outside that, insulated and boarded inside.

I'm going through step by step what I need to learn and do and if a nailer will do both frame and sheathing jobs I'll get one, otherwise I'll glue and/or screw everything instead. I need to start a thread.

TheBananaKing
Jul 16, 2004

Until you realize the importance of the banana king, you will know absolutely nothing about the human-interest things of the world.
Smellrose

cakesmith handyman posted:

Thanks for the replies, cabin will be approx 4*3m, 2*4” frame, 2x6 roof, OSB outside the frame, cladding outside that, insulated and boarded inside.

I'm going through step by step what I need to learn and do and if a nailer will do both frame and sheathing jobs I'll get one, otherwise I'll glue and/or screw everything instead. I need to start a thread.

I thought nails were somewhat strongly preferred in framing applications? Something something shearing strength.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

Bob Mundon posted:

My Japanese style Irwin Marples saw is officially pissing me off. It's actually possible it cuts more on the push stroke than pull, about ready to toss it.

Isn't it supposed to do that?

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Japanese saws are supposed to be pull saws.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

gah, I knew I was going to get that wrong. I knew japanese saws were opposite but I couldn't remember which way.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

TheBananaKing posted:

I thought nails were somewhat strongly preferred in framing applications? Something something shearing strength.

If nothing else, someday someone is gonna need to replace studs/sheathing and/or tear down that building, and they'll hate you if you used glue to hold everything together.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Glue is NOT recommended. No one does this and there's a reason. A framing nailer will shoot different lengths and do everything you need for the frame and cornice (exterior trim).

Ghostnuke posted:

gah, I knew I was going to get that wrong. I knew japanese saws were opposite but I couldn't remember which way.

Have you bought a northbound saw for a southbound job then?

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.
Personally I love screws. Specifically McFeely's pro-max screws which are specifically designed to join dimensional lumber. For example they have a 2 7/8th inch screw with 1.5" un-threaded which perfectly joins 2" (1.5") lumber. All the threads end up in one board cranking it tight to the other one.

And the're self-drilling and countersinking. An impact driver plus the screws is a poor mans framing nailer in my opinion but with the advantage that it's just as easy to undo something.

Granted I don't build houses or even sheds but I did improvise a decent swingset/play structure with screws and 2x4's.

https://www.mcfeelys.com/mcfeelys-10-x-2-7-8-promax-wood-deck-screws-nocorode-plus-flat-head-square-drive-qty-100.html

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Screws are for making stuff tight, nails are for making stuff strong. There are specialty framing screws with bigger shanks (and Mcfeeley's sells good screws but a bit expensive. Square drive crew 4 lyfe) but generally nails are what you frame with because they bend instead of snapping and have a much much higher shear strength, not to mention being way faster to install and cheaper to buy than screws.

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
breakdancin the night away
comedy scrail option

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
I've never hear about nails being better in any way other than cost and tooling.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

SEKCobra posted:

I've never hear about nails being better in any way other than cost and tooling.

Most things you nail together uses the nails in shear, where they're basically the same per cross sectional area as a screw. But you can put nails in with a gun as fast as you can bounce it along the wall, whereas a screw, even with a nice impact gun, takes 5+ seconds.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Mr. Mambold posted:

Glue is NOT recommended. No one does this and there's a reason. A framing nailer will shoot different lengths and do everything you need for the frame and cornice (exterior trim).

This is why I'm asking rather than forging ahead and wasting my time and money. I've seen 18ga and 16ga nail guns sold as framing nailers, if one of those will save me hours of driving screws and it's the right tool and method I'll get one, otherwise I'll screw everything. I can't justify a £600 paslode for this job but I can justify a £180 nail gun

Re: glue I've seen many recommendations to glue down the underfloor OSB as well as screws or nails, is that incorrect?

cakesmith handyman fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Oct 23, 2019

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Buy a used pneumatic framing nail gun and resell it when you're done?

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Buy a used framing nailer. Trim nailers are not sufficient. Also, subfloor install!=framing

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

This is why I'm asking rather than forging ahead and wasting my time and money. I've seen 18ga and 16ga nail guns sold as framing nailers, if one of those will save me hours of driving screws and it's the right tool and method I'll get one, otherwise I'll screw everything. I can't justify a £600 paslode for this job but I can justify a £180 nail gun

Re: glue I've seen many recommendations to glue down the underfloor OSB as well as screws or nails, is that incorrect?

Sounds like it's your own thread time!! :getin:

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Whoever said 18 or 16 gauge for framing were lying fools. You don't need a new Paslode. Like the other guys mentioned, get a used chinesium special off Craigslist- if you go after one, just make sure the seller lets you demo it is all. Framing guns are not intricate builds.

I reckon gluing down a subfloor is way overkill, if you screw it down that's more than plenty. Frankly, using your slightly used but new-to-you bang-bang framing gun on that is way more satisfying and it's not going to pull up. You know the framing nails are glue coated? The friction of driving them melts it right in. (so don't nail your kneecap like Doyle did)
Run and gun, baby.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Running a bead down your joists is fine and will help avoid potential squeaking in the future, don't use a tube a sheet though. All the glueing you do now is throwing up 2 big middle fingers to you or someone else later though thats for sure

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Interesting video on holding power / shear strength of some fasteners. I don't know enough to comment on the testing processes but it makes me feel better about building non-load bearing walls with screws.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmajKElnwfE

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Most things you nail together uses the nails in shear, where they're basically the same per cross sectional area as a screw. But you can put nails in with a gun as fast as you can bounce it along the wall, whereas a screw, even with a nice impact gun, takes 5+ seconds.

wait what? No.

e: Maybe I am misunderstanding what you are saying, but my point is below

dreesemonkey posted:

Interesting video on holding power / shear strength of some fasteners. I don't know enough to comment on the testing processes but it makes me feel better about building non-load bearing walls with screws.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmajKElnwfE

I skimmed the video so maybe he explains it, but I'm scratching my head at his decision to screw/nail into end-grain. :confused:

The last third of the video is what it's all about, though -- a nail will deform under the same shear load that would snap a normal screw.

Nails or Bolts for shear, screws for pull-out or non-load bearing.

Hubis fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Oct 23, 2019

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Mr. Mambold posted:

Whoever said 18 or 16 gauge for framing were lying fools. You don't need a new Paslode. Like the other guys mentioned, get a used chinesium special off Craigslist- if you go after one, just make sure the seller lets you demo it is all. Framing guns are not intricate builds.

I reckon gluing down a subfloor is way overkill, if you screw it down that's more than plenty. Frankly, using your slightly used but new-to-you bang-bang framing gun on that is way more satisfying and it's not going to pull up. You know the framing nails are glue coated? The friction of driving them melts it right in. (so don't nail your kneecap like Doyle did)
Run and gun, baby.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/dewalt-dpn64c-xj-64mm-first-fix-air-nail-gun/5489f
https://www.screwfix.com/p/dewalt-dcn692n-xj-90mm-18v-li-ion-xr-brushless-first-fix-cordless-nail-gun-bare/1710g

18ga 1st fix nail guns, you understand my confusion.
Also I didn't know that, today I have learned something.

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Sounds like it's your own thread time!! :getin:

Sounds like it!

Myrmidongs
Oct 26, 2010

Ridgid?

Closing on my first home in a week, trying to decide on a tool lineup and there's a deal right now for $350 on the Ridgid Octane lineup: Hammer Drill, Impact Driver, Sawzall, Circular Saw, Charger, 6ah battery, 3ah battery. Seems like a steal to me, unless I'm missing something.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Myrmidongs posted:

Ridgid?

Closing on my first home in a week, trying to decide on a tool lineup and there's a deal right now for $350 on the Ridgid Octane lineup: Hammer Drill, Impact Driver, Sawzall, Circular Saw, Charger, 6ah battery, 3ah battery. Seems like a steal to me, unless I'm missing something.

Color doesn't matter especially as a homeowner. Does it have the stuff you need right now at the right price? Is the battery system compatible with things you think you might want or need in the near future? If yes, go for it.

My personal opinion: I think the Ridgid stuff is fine. I wouldn't buy it as a main tool if I was a contractor. If you are using this for homeowner stuff you don't have that constraint. As long as you have a Home Depot.....and I think Walmart? that sell them nearby you're all set for batteries and warranty.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Oct 24, 2019

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
I noticed in receiving we had this 9 piece Ryobi set for $299 that'd probably be perfect for a light user

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Myrmidongs posted:

Ridgid?

Ridgid has a great warranty on paper, and mostly is good. Just register immediately, and save the documentation. However, if you read the fine print, they can demand that you send back everything... Batteries, charger, and all tools.

Their selection isn't great outside of what you have. Both Milwaukee and Makita have far far bigger selections of specialty tools. I'm a Makita 18V guy, and Milwaukee M12. Once you buy into a battery system, it's best to stick with it. My vote would be to start with Makita/Milwaukee if you're a pro. There will likely be great deals on Black Friday for starter kits, so if you can wait a month, you'll get more for your money. Check ToolGuyd and garage journal for deals.

If you're not going to be really beating on them, Ryobi actually makes decent stuff. The color is awful, but who cares?

\/\/ That Ryobi kit looks great, aside from only 2 2Ah batteries. Add a couple 4Ah, and your good to go.

sharkytm fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Oct 24, 2019

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

I noticed in receiving we had this 9 piece Ryobi set for $299 that'd probably be perfect for a light user

$300??????

That covers most everything. That looks like a good deal if even 3/4 of the tools are decent.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Motronic posted:

$300??????

That covers most everything. That looks like a good deal if even 3/4 of the tools are decent.

Yeah I've never noticed a deal like that. What stood out was the sander and weed eater, those are actually useful inclusions

Edit: I think we're gearing up for a pre Black Friday event, which would explain it

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Yeah I've never noticed a deal like that. What stood out was the sander and weed eater, those are actually useful inclusions

Edit: I think we're gearing up for a pre Black Friday event, which would explain it

Seriously...the $300 deals are like....a couple batteries with a single charger, drill, a little circ saw and a recip saw. And a flashlight.

This one seems legit.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Yeah I think I bought the $300 kit a year ago and it was missing both at a minimum. Ryobi is seriously the best single kit to own in my opinion because the value and selection basically kills everyone else (a couple compete on selection but less on homeowner stuff like cordless glue guns and soldering irons).

Nails vs Screws:

The video shows screws winning for shear strength but losing for being more brittle under repeated bending. Though I agree the end grain testing was weird. The nails all actually failed by pulling out.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it
the dust buster is what sells it.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I got the 7 tool ryobi kit a couple of years ago which had:
Drill
Sander
Circular saw
Dust buster
Light
Hot Glue gun
Reciprocating saw
2 smallish batteries - 1.5Ah, charger, bag, drill bits, couple of glue sticks, sanding pads, saw blades, etc.

It was $159 and I haven't seen it again since, but it was a great deal because even though all of the tools aren't the top of the line they all work fine for light duty. The hot glue gun and the dust buster are really nice and I'd buy them again (I think there four non-working dust busters in the house because their batteries all crapped out). I also cut up a lot of branches with the reciprocating saw and some brush cutting blades and it's been convenient for the price. I think the sander is the only thing I haven't used yet.

I did later buy a ryobi brushless hammer drill with a 4Ah battery so I could drill some cinderblocks and that battery has been a lot better than the little ones that came with the kit but it was still a great buy for the price.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

I'd think the sander would be the only weak tool in the lot. I've gathered most of the others except the multi tool and all essential dustbuster, and I know I've paid way more than that overall. What sours it for me is the tiny 2.0Amp batteries. Bump it by $50 Ryobi and make those 4.0 or even 3.0.

JEEVES420 posted:

the dust buster is what sells it.

lamo

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Last year I bought the 2 x 3ah HP+ batter deal that came with a free tool, and it's served me well. I picked the P214 hammer drill. I'm just joe-homeowner though so I use my drill like once a month or so. I actually bought the low pressure inflator and use that more than anything with my Ryobi batteries. I throw it in the pool bag and use it to inflate and deflate pool toys. Works pretty well actually. The HP+ batteries are pretty solid, though when I was hanging blinds in my house it did get a little heavy. I sort of wish I had a smaller/lighter battery and drill for that particular job.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I was gifted Ryobi stuff when I graduated college so I've just stayed with it and accumulated tools and batteries over the years and they're all still working great. I am a homeowner/tinkerer/auto person who uses their tools on a weekly basis. My drill is probably the most used tool and its still chugging away after 8? years. I have several batteries (2x2ah, 2x4ah, 2x5ah) and the smaller batteries are nice to keep the weight down on certain tools. Other tools are nice to have the larger batteries like my impact wrench or leaf blower. The inflators are probably next on my list because they're pretty handy when dirt biking and changing pressure where you're riding. The small little circular saw has been surprisingly useful. The batteries have also lasted forever without any noticeable degradation.

Honestly Ryobi has been surprisingly good in my experience. I own a few Makita corded tools but rarely need to use them. My only complaint was the original Ryobi impact wrench which didn't have multiple speeds/power and didn't have enough torque to break a lot of auto fasteners. The new tri speed one is great though. The brushless impact driver is sweet. I pretty much use that for everything other than making holes now.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

My corded and pneumatic tools are all great. All of them are probably older than me except a miter saw and a drill, and my batteries have never died

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Bloody posted:

My corded and pneumatic tools are all great. All of them are probably older than me except a miter saw and a drill, and my batteries have never died
:same:
A tank of compressed air is basically a battery that stores energy and makes it portable so you can pretend your pneumatic tools are battery powered for as long as a 3 gal tank of compressed air will run them!