Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

my rear end has no weakness

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

dudermcbrohan posted:

is it really random when the whole plot has been the road to obtaining a mcguffin that gives the main character the ability the metaphorical opposite of the villain's "unbeatable" power

I mean no, it makes sense in the way that it connects to the greater arc of part 5 and Diavolo specifically, it's just that I don't connect to that arc very much at all and I think Diavolo sucks poo poo and is easily the least interesting villain in the series

I like part 5 a lot, it's one of my favorite parts, largely off the strength of its fights and the arcs of the protagonists, but I just don't feel like anything with Diavolo ever lands even if I've grown to really appreciate the Silver Chariot Requiem encounter at this point

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Requiem Stands being walking divine powers was cool to see in action with an old favorite, followed by anticipating who’d be Requiem next and now insane it’d be

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Pootybutt posted:

Well, maybe give Trish a lil more to do in the lead-up. Eh.

Trish calls Diavolo a little bitch which is how he ended up rushing headfirst into GER.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

dudermcbrohan posted:

is it really random when the whole plot has been the road to obtaining a mcguffin that gives the main character the ability the metaphorical opposite of the villain's "unbeatable" power

The whole plot had been the gang trying to find out the boss's identity. When that turns out to have been a complete waste of time Polnareff just emails them out of the blue at the 11th hour and tells them to come use the arrow instead.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Funky Valentine posted:

Trish calls Diavolo a little bitch which is how he ended up rushing headfirst into GER.

I mean in the fights before Requiem Plays Quietly. I think Requiem makes p good use of all the different players involved.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Kind of funny to see the escalation of Stand power each arc, from A-Rank super Stands, to getting a second arrow hit, to giving your Stand the second arrow hit, to ending with a literal Heaven ritual

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Black August posted:

Kind of funny to see the escalation of Stand power each arc, from A-Rank super Stands, to getting a second arrow hit, to giving your Stand the second arrow hit, to ending with a literal Heaven ritual

And then for the creation of the ultimate Stand that trumps every other power - riding your horse real good.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
they did my boy polnareff dirty in part 5. easily my favorite crusader

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

he got to cheat death and live on as a mafia turtle, what’s the downside?

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
There’s no toilet in the turtle

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

hatty posted:

That's not a downside for Polnareff

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

hatty posted:

His final, and greatest wish.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
We saw from Polneraff that paying attention and attacking at the right time was enough to get a hit in on Diavolo and Bucciarati also outsmarted him in their very first encounter. King Crimson felt far from invincible.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

King Crimson's biggest weakness is that its user is a moron.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Ah yes, the same principle as The Hand

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Momomo posted:

We saw from Polneraff that paying attention and attacking at the right time was enough to get a hit in on Diavolo and Bucciarati also outsmarted him in their very first encounter. King Crimson felt far from invincible.

bruno died and would've lost entirely if he hadn't met a second jesus earlier that week

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Aurora posted:

my rear end has no weakness

Until you bottom

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Momomo posted:

Yeah, they kept saying that King Crimson was untouchable and invincible and could never be fought (if it was just Diavolo it'd be less annoying, since villain hubris and all but it was like everyone so you were meant to believe it), but showed that it was... very possible and actually kinda relatively easy. Even during the Requiem battle, Giorno was able to outsmart and outmaneuver him before making GER to boot.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Dragonatrix posted:

Yeah, they kept saying that King Crimson was untouchable and invincible and could never be fought (if it was just Diavolo it'd be less annoying, since villain hubris and all but it was like everyone so you were meant to believe it), but showed that it was... very possible and actually kinda relatively easy. Even during the Requiem battle, Giorno was able to outsmart and outmaneuver him before making GER to boot.

"Relatively easy" is a funny way of putting a pair of encounters where one guy nearly died and only came up w a counterattack after nearly 20 years of hiding, and the other actually died(But Bruno is Bruno and tbf his power was also stupid broken in a lotta ways.) Figuring out what KC even just did to you requires enduring tremendous sacrifice.

dudermcbrohan
May 14, 2013
not only 20 years, but also multiple limbs

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

king crimson casually mulched three people, all of whom were extremely effective fighters, one of which was a legit stand nonsense veteran

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
You have to give Diavolo some credit in that King Crimson wouldn't nearly be as deadly if he wasn't so focused on murdering everyone who looked at him funny. I feel like Dio would be less dangerous just by virtue of wanting to toy with opponents. Diavolo didn't gently caress around with killing people, and when you combine that with skipping time...

edit: Like I think Polnareff, they guy who stabbed DIO in the face after getting messed up by Ice, you know, the one who isn't very good about self-preservation and tried to be the Hero all the time, I think him going into hiding after barely surviving Diavolo, waiting for other people to show up AND using the Arrow to be even a little confident about winning, and then being so scared of the idea of Diavolo getting that arrow, that he used it himself when he knew only a little of what would happen, that says a lot about the stakes.

BaDandy fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Oct 25, 2019

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

The stakes and the ideas were all perfectly sound, it was just subpar execution of those ideas to make them as threatening and entertaining as the dialogue and tone promised

King Crimson WAS scary, Diavolo was literally the Devil possessing some weird kid and then getting Stand powers, erasing time is a pretty scary sounding ability, but none of what happened felt quite clean or coherent enough to make you fully buy into the whole Italian Horror/Mafia Double Feature feel it was gunning for

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

And yeah one sale was that Polnareff, a Stardust Crusader, a dude who NEARLY killed Dio and survived the war, someone very experienced with time powers, still got auto-hosed by Crimson and mutilated horribly. If he had been in the story from the start as a constant mystery figure helping guide the group, I think it would have felt a lot more satisfactory.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Not sure which of the two threads to post this in so I'm posting it in both

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxAtjRA2Vm4

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

My roommate found this on Google Maps earlier today while planning out an upcoming trip to Florida

There are reviews but only one of them is good

quote:

It's cool but why is everything sideways here

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.
There's also these:

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjwYHHB1Zxs

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

jesus gently caress

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
As someone who hasn't read part 7 yet, I really enjoy this and will probably go back to play it between volumes and try to see what new things I recognize just like when I was watching the show

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
a slowed down version of the battle hymn of the republic is an insanely good valentine theme

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

e: oh this is the manga thread, that explains a couple things lol

Son of Thunderbeast fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Nov 10, 2019

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I am happy that disco ballad agrees that "vaguely like Paul St. Peter" is the proper voice for President Valentine.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
Man, do you ever just remember that Rohan killed or severely maimed a god in self-defense and that this was in a side-story.

I feel like this and Araki's comment about the series being a "celebration of humanity" without needing gods or other stuff plays into how Jesus was dealt with him SBR, but mostly I was just sitting here and thinking "Wow, Rohan really did kill an actual god, huh?"

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
So, I've started SBR.
Started is a wrong term, perhaps, since I read all the way to Green Tombstone (part 2)
It's really cool so far! Gyro and Johnny are both fantastic, although I don't get why Gyro isn't a JoJo, since he's basically the main character. I'm also really into the main story, which feels far more coherent and tense than previous parts.

I will say, not a fan of stand battles so far. They're not bad, and I've enjoyed them, but after Part 6 they feel a bit lacking. Takes me a while to remember all of them, and there weren't even that many! Hope things improve on that front, because even stand users were pretty drat great! Well, maybe not Boom Booms.

It's also weird seeing Araki embracing androgyny way more. Feels like it should've happened a long while ago. Mrs. Robinson is the biggest example of that, so far. It's neat! Glad to see gay energy is present in this part too, especially in some covers!

Also, what's the deal with The Corpse? I mean, unless there's a twist, it's just Jesus, right? Is there a reason for why it's never said and characters act so dumb? It's really different from other parts, because Jojo usually doesn't do "obviouls to reader, but characters aren't aware of it" type of thing.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
people weren't educated well in 1890, nor well versed in obvious tropes of fiction

johnny doesn't know what dinosaurs are here when gyro tries to explain them because he's a hick from kentucky. other people like valentine just aren't saying it out loud

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Dinosaurs are also a relatively new concept at the time. The first true scientific description of a dinosaur came between 1815 and 1824.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
I think characters do know that it's Jesus but they don't want to admit it because the implications that it's Jesus is way too much to comprehend. Remember that his body was supposed to ascend to Heaven, so what does it mean that his body is actually here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
Guess it makes sense.
Speaking of dinosaurs, I'm very surprised at how normal Dio is in this part. Aside from dinosaur shenanigans (which wasn't even his fault) the only outright lovely thing he's done was throwing some rocks at Gyro's horse. I really like Araki playing with readers' expectations like that. Compared to Dio from Part 1 this dude's a saint. Hell, he even jokes and wanted to drink some coffee. Pretty sure original Dio hasn't done anything remotely human-like. Still, I'm certain that he's a giant piece of poo poo, even if not DIO-caliber. Waiting for it to become completely obvious.

I hope Scary Monsters isn't his Stand (or at least his only ability) because it kinda sucks. Don't get me wrong, Dio is a loving dinosaur and it's hilarious, but when the heroes fought the omnipresent bomb and a time-rewinding rear end in a top hat, so one raptor (or even a bunch of them) pales in comparison.

Also the biggest mystery of this part for me is Valentine himself. I mean, I've seen him. I know how he's supposed to look like, so what the gently caress is that.
Also I wonder if his stand can control time somehow. On one hand I kinda want the tradition to continue, on the other, we've already seen one, and I want to see what new overpowered thing Araki can come up with.