Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Is that one of those things like how The Bodyguard was supposed to star Steve McQueen and Diana Ross?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Halloween Jack posted:

Is that one of those things like how The Bodyguard was supposed to star Steve McQueen and Diana Ross?

Yeah Gemini Man has been floating around so long it was meant to be a Harrison Ford vehicle at one point.

Also Mel Gibson, Nicolas Cage, Brad Pitt, Tom Cruise, Clint Eastwood, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Sylvester Stallone, Sean Connery, Jon Voight and Chris O’Donnell (!)

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Chris O'Donnell would've been pretty good actually, because he was a really good looking dude and now he's bloated as hell and is barely recognizable. Still making big $$$ on network t.v. though.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Basebf555 posted:

Chris O'Donnell would've been pretty good actually, because he was a really good looking dude and now he's bloated as hell and is barely recognizable. Still making big $$$ on network t.v. though.

I honestly think a Schwarzenegger version could have worked really well. Current Schwarzenegger against Terminator Schwarzenegger.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Blast Fantasto posted:

I honestly think a Schwarzenegger version could have worked really well. Current Schwarzenegger against Terminator Schwarzenegger.

You're describing the hit film Terminator Ginseng.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I will catch Gemini Man on streaming but their marketing didn't do the movie any favors at all. Will Smith has aged well so the visual isn't as shocking as it could be (against someone like Brendan Frasier, who I still like and who still looks like "himself" but who has obviously aged quite a bit) and the action looks very "comic book", which is fine - but without the context of familiar comic book characters performing it, the impact is significantly muted. The marketing really really leaned on the whole "it's young Will against old Will!" but that's just not compelling to me, at all.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
It’s a premise that probably would have killed in the 90s but feels wrong for this era.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Just found out that there is now a TV show based on the Bourne universe. It is called Treadstone and so far, one episode in, it is pretty cool.

Has some juicy fights (three major fight scenes in this first episode) in it and while the editing is fast you can still see what is going on. Lots of countering and bone breaking and just general cool close quarters stuff.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

MrBling posted:

Just found out that there is now a TV show based on the Bourne universe. It is called Treadstone and so far, one episode in, it is pretty cool.

Has some juicy fights (three major fight scenes in this first episode) in it and while the editing is fast you can still see what is going on. Lots of countering and bone breaking and just general cool close quarters stuff.

Not that it matters, but are there any actors/characters from the movies in it?

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Jose Oquendo posted:

Not so far.

The first episode has two timelines. 1973 in East Germany with what I assume is (one of) the first Treadstone operatives and then in present day where someone is waking up operatives around the world (Alaska and North Korea so far) and CIA only finds out because a North Korean general is in London as a possible defector and he specifically brings up Treadstone.

Anyone involved in the movie storylines are presumably either very dead, incredibly fired/imprisoned or Jason Bourne so other than maybe a little Bourne cameo I wouldn't expect to see anything.
The events in the movies gets some vague mentions about rogue assets, but they are very clear in the intro to put up a text saying it is based on Ludlum's books.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Jose Oquendo posted:

It’s so weakly connected to the Bourne stuff that Robert Ludlum’s credit in the opening credits is this

https://twitter.com/realdaveimboden/status/1184348402760466432?s=21

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I really liked that first Bourne movie, but every other one was painful. I don't even know why I watched them all.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
I really appreciate in John wick 3 when he's fighting the guys in the antique weapon storage there's a point where things are chaotic and close range enough that they can't throw their knives at each other properly.

Like they're just throwing things as opposed to trying to throw the knife to end up blade in.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
I still don't get why he was makeshifting a revolver for one bullet, I get the reference to Leone but, I dunno.. :shrug:

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Honest Thief posted:

I still don't get why he was makeshifting a revolver for one bullet, I get the reference to Leone but, I dunno.. :shrug:

Yea it irks me every time. I've seen it 3 times now and it's the only part in maybe all three movies where I'm like "huh, why did he do that?"

Maybe it was a case that only had one bullet of each caliber for display purposes?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
It was because the writers wanted him to do something cool and over the top. I can't remember other specific examples but Wick 3 was rammed full of really funny, dumb kills. Actually double tap horse is one of many.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

I think he grabbed one bullet to make sure the gun would work and was planning on loading it up after he checked the cylinder. He ran out of time.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

ilmucche posted:

I think he grabbed one bullet to make sure the gun would work and was planning on loading it up after he checked the cylinder. He ran out of time.

I guess he rightly assumed that the guy he shot wasn't alone, and that he didn't have time to reload the gun before more of them came through the door.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
One of the things the Wick movies do really well is show Wick himself making decisions. The scenes, while really intricately performed, still make an effort to make it feel like a dude actually making decisions, rather than acting out dance steps. Sure, maybe he had time to load the gun more after the first guy, but he couldn't know how far the guy behind him was, and he'd be in the open with a limited ammo supply against a guy with cover. It's nice since it's a decision that makes perfect sense based on the information that the character has at the time.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

One thing I don't like is how many times I've sent John wick take a guy down, shoot two guys who run through a doorway then shoot the guy on the ground with him. He does it so much

Saganlives
Jul 6, 2005

ilmucche posted:

One thing I don't like is how many times I've sent John wick take a guy down, shoot two guys who run through a doorway then shoot the guy on the ground with him. He does it so much

What's your guys favorite Wick kill? I like Eye Contact from the first one.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Double tap horse kick made me laugh like a fool, that was the best one.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Speaking of John Wick 3 I'm watching Dacascos in Drive. I've not seen it in years but I remember at the time wondering if he was ever going to get big because this film was pretty cool and he could act decently and could clearly kick rear end.

Mad to also realise this is Crank's daddy.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
Dacascos is definitely underappreciated. Dude can wail. Not the greatest actor of all time, but he's passable .

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Speaking of John Wick 3 I'm watching Dacascos in Drive. I've not seen it in years but I remember at the time wondering if he was ever going to get big because this film was pretty cool and he could act decently and could clearly kick rear end.

Mad to also realise this is Crank's daddy.

Dacascos is awesome, but unfortunately came along just as the bubble for martial arts films starring martial artists burst. He was in Kickboxer 5, which they made after Sasha Mitchell, who'd been in 2-4, turned them down.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Cody from Step by step?

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

hiddenriverninja posted:

Cody from Step by step?

yep

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Snowman_McK posted:

Dacascos is awesome, but unfortunately came along just as the bubble for martial arts films starring martial artists burst. He was in Kickboxer 5, which they made after Sasha Mitchell, who'd been in 2-4, turned them down.

It took me a while to remember he was also in that really bad Crow TV series that was shot 99% in the day, the opposite of every other Crow themed piece of media ever. (I watched the first one the other night with a friend, it still kinda rules tbh...)

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Apparently shooting at night is very expensive, or used to be. Fox managed to make a Vampire: the Masquerade series that was mostly shot during the day.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Yeah, it's an expensive pain in the rear end.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Only the Strong is what everyone should be talking about re: Dacascos and I dont understand why it hasn't been mentioned.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Halloween Jack posted:

Apparently shooting at night is very expensive, or used to be. Fox managed to make a Vampire: the Masquerade series that was mostly shot during the day.

They never heard of a day for night shot?

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Crying Freeman is what everyone should be talking about re: Dacascos and I dont understand why it hasn't been mentioned.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

SimonCat posted:

They never heard of a day for night shot?
This was 1996, when everything on TV was filmed like a commercial for towels.

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Brotherhood of the Wolf is what everyone should be talking about re: Dacascos and I dont understand why it hasn't been mentioned.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

I've never seen Brotherhood of the Wolf nor Only the Strong, thank you! Not seen Crying Freeman for a looooooong time either, might check that out again.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Brotherhood of the Wolf is so good. It was my go-to "obscure" recommendation in high school.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Only the Strong was my Dacascos jam, especially since my cousins were into Capoeira.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Basebf555 posted:

Yea it irks me every time. I've seen it 3 times now and it's the only part in maybe all three movies where I'm like "huh, why did he do that?"

Maybe it was a case that only had one bullet of each caliber for display purposes?

It's just a long gag. We get this intricate scene of him constructing the gun and then...BAM he shoots it once, lmao nevermind time for knife fight! It's clearly the setup to a joke and the single headshot is the punchline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I've been watching through the films featured on The Action Boyz podcast (which is hilarious, by the way).

The most recent one was the slightly-hard-to-find-on-streaming Passenger 57 with Wesley Snipes, aka Die Hard on a Plane. And lemme tell you, that movie fuckin' slaps.