Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Pass basic and don't get dishonorably discharged and you too can earn a brand new Veteran's Service Card *crowd cheering noises*

redeemable for 40% off an adult admission to Medieval Times

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

My Spirit Otter posted:

I've already got one. Thankfully, I don't have to repeat basic, either

Yeah but the new one is, like, better?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Canuck-Errant posted:

redeemable for 40% off an adult admission to Medieval Times

I steer clear of any and all establishments that let Randy Pitchford attend.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 21 days!

My Spirit Otter posted:

Its official. I'm fuckin stupid and I'm swearing back in on the 2nd of dec.

For your completion, allow me to email you your ECN, SDB, FCP, NOK, Memorial Cross Form, Will, Will Affidavit, TBS-330-23E... :suicide:

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

looks like my medical was completed today, seems like I will be enrolled in a couple of weeks and doing weekend bmq in january

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

For your completion, allow me to email you your ECN, SDB, FCP, NOK, Memorial Cross Form, Will, Will Affidavit, TBS-330-23E... :suicide:

:v:

my morning jackass posted:

looks like my medical was completed today, seems like I will be enrolled in a couple of weeks and doing weekend bmq in january

Congrats, what trade?

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

My Spirit Otter posted:

Congrats, what trade?

SigO

completely different career than my civilian one, looking forward to something different.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Congrats, you'll be hard at work restraining yourself from murdering the idiot combat arms trades that accidentally dump their radio's crypto every five minutes

My Spirit Otter fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Oct 30, 2019

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Or dump it once and leave the radio on zeroize, leaving you when you discover it with a radio that can't hold crypto because the set uses a separate, non-user-replaceable battery that can only be changed out by a radio tech in Kingston or some poo poo

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

right now that sounds not too bad cause I have absolutely zero comp sci background and I’m guessing it is much worse than I imagine.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

I have an easier time loading crypto than open dasco safes tbh.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

It's not about the difficulty of the task, it's about the idiots causing the work lol

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Anybody know anything about offer letters? Mine didn't mention anything about seniority or previous service and definitely didnt look like a message like my first one did.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

my morning jackass posted:

right now that sounds not too bad cause I have absolutely zero comp sci background and I’m guessing it is much worse than I imagine.

Not 'bad' so much as 'a pain in the rear end' because without the crypto battery working the radio can't store encryption/decryption keys, so it can only broadcast 'in the clear' - i.e. anyone with a normal radio can listen in; likewise, it can only listen to unencrypted radio transmissions.

So if Bloggins dumps crypto he won't be able to hear anyone broadcasting encrypted; if the battery dies, you also have to find a spare radio for Bloggins.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

What's life in Comms like? I've been getting the itch recently, been considering going back into the reserves.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

I've got a former sig op cousin I can ask questions to if you have specific ones

Primus
May 14, 2007

Greater than the sum of his parts.

MA-Horus posted:

What's life in Comms like? I've been getting the itch recently, been considering going back into the reserves.

As someone currently in Comms: don't. It's great at combining Army bullshit with tech support bullshit into a perfect, spiteful melange of pure-strain weapons-grade hyper bullshit.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Primus posted:

As someone currently in Comms: don't. It's great at combining Army bullshit with tech support bullshit into a perfect, spiteful melange of pure-strain weapons-grade hyper bullshit.

Comms Reg Force or Comms Res, though? My res unit was mostly linesmen who worked for Ledcor the rest of the week and sigops who were Comp Sys Tech students. And our senior NCMs all seemed to be city cops...

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.

Generation Internet fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Apr 7, 2023

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

see this is why I ask, it helps to scratch the itch and push down the "ARMY WAS FUN RIGHT?" nostalgia.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

MA-Horus posted:

Why not cyber op?

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I seriously don't know at this point. All I know is I don't want infantry, artillery. Engineer looks neat.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CE? Because I've heard nothing but horror stories about engies.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

I remember we had a CE goon a long time ago and he kept getting hosed around before getting stuck on some heavy equipment to ride out his contract iirc

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

MA-Horus posted:

Engineer looks neat.

For the 12 minutes at a time you actually get to blow stuff on exercise, maybe.

The rest of the contract will be spent doing some asinine plumbing/construction/environmental impact job because the CAF has just about no integrated combat focus on any meaningful scale. Which might not be a bad thing if you're trying to pad a resume and get a clearance for follow-on employment, but can pretty soul-crushing if you fancy yourself a warfighter or joined to do military things beyond getting the cock.

Guest2553 fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Nov 2, 2019

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Yea, that pretty much what I've heard as well.

All the bullshit of a regular construction job, with all the extra bullshit that comes from being combat arms.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

flakeloaf posted:

Why not cyber op?

I want to know more about this but can't find anyone that has first hand experience.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Just join the air force, goddamn. Get that spec pay, wear your comfy relish jammies all day long, and no living in a tent in the mud for six months of the year.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Just join the air force, goddamn. Get that spec pay, wear your comfy relish jammies all day long, and no living in a tent in the mud for six months of the year.

More like 'dirt with relish on it' jammies soon

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 21 days!

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Potential recruits: if you take back anything from this thread, it's this.

Has the Navy spec pay freeze even been lifted yet?

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Veterans is 2 weeks late on my payment. I called them up and they told me it would be another 2 weeks.

Aside from planting a bomb, how do I deal with this bullshit?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Post a photo of you threatening to cut your Veteran's Service Card in half. Bonus points if they are pink scissors.

Edit: Serious answer - Send a letter to the ombudsman?

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

I needed the money 2 weeks ago, I'm doubly hosed in 2 weeks time and the ombudsman said everything was a-ok.

I think it's time to plant a bomb.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
:( Please don't blow up my building or a building I may or may not be associated with.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Jobbo_Fett posted:

:( Please don't blow up my building or a building I may or may not be associated with.

Please pay me on time, and not 4 weeks late :bahgawd:

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

I'd trade the entirety of veterans affairs for one dead soldier

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

I'm not even sure what I'd do with a corpse. But I'm the corpse would prove more useful

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

My Spirit Otter posted:

Veterans is 2 weeks late on my payment. I called them up and they told me it would be another 2 weeks.

Aside from planting a bomb, how do I deal with this bullshit?

Veterans Emergency Fund, or Legion Poppy Fund. Ombudsman's office for getting things expedited since that whole mess with the ombudsman not being looped in went public. Also, contact your MP, because inquiries from MPs get white-glove treatment.

(I'm on secondment from VAC so I can't do poo poo, but at least I can point you at ways to a) get money quick and b) expedite delivery of money owed)

e: comedy option: write a letter to the editor of the Ottawa Citizen, they haven't published any angry screeds about VAC in months! MONTHS!

E2: okay more information:
https://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/services/financial/veterans-emergency-fund/vef-faq

Also also, I kind of forgot the first time around, but possibly talk to the Bureau of Pensions Advocates. (https://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/veterans-rights/how-to-appeal/bureau-pensions-advocates)
They're the big guns to pull when you feel like you're getting jerked around because they're lawyers and legally mandated to represent veterans against the department

Canuck-Errant fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Nov 6, 2019

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

If I use the veterans emergency fund, that's just gonna pump up the success story numbers and I'm not gonna allow veterans affairs to pretend like they helped, and receive credit for it via statistics, when they are in fact the cause

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

My Spirit Otter posted:

If I use the veterans emergency fund, that's just gonna pump up the success story numbers and I'm not gonna allow veterans affairs to pretend like they helped, and receive credit for it via statistics, when they are in fact the cause

A reminder that the VEF funding is also budget numbers and if it doesn't get spent it gets cut next year

VAC is also chronically understaffed for the "planned" caseload vs the actual caseload of the area offices so I'm not surprised poo poo's delayed for you.

I mean, poo poo, my office was still recovering from staffing cuts made in 2008