Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Cicero posted:

Worth the Candle updated with five new chapters.
Has the author ever said why they update that way?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
He posts a decent amount on r/rational, so at some point probably yeah.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Has the author ever said why they update that way?

tbf "I write/edit a shitload when I can be assed" is probably a healthy model

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

GreyjoyBastard posted:

tbf "I write/edit a shitload when I can be assed" is probably a healthy model

It works for AW (I think he plinks away at WtC in his free time while maintaining an adult job), but some authors turn this into crazytime. WB posted a thing recently where he walks through his schedule, and it appears to basically be "Sit down with a vague idea of where the chapter should go, grope for words in the dark for 48 hours, post whatever I end up with, then try to return my sleep schedule to normalcy for 2-3 days until a chapter is due and I need another marathon." And goodness only knows what the gestalt that does TWI puts themselves through.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
pirateaba basically spends 8-11 hours writing literally nonstop for 2 days to get each chapter finished most of the time.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
if writing is as tiring as normal work (im sure it is) then with split days off pirateaba has pretty much blown past 'overworked' and 'diagnosed workaholic' into 'literal crazy person' territory

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
I appreciate chunks of chapters more then 1 every week or whatever the other option would be. I do sorta wish there was a schedule but thats only for my own convenience.

I also appreciate pirateabas crazy big chapters for some reason but holy poo poo girl you need to tone it down or you will die.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
pirateaba is the 27th pirate, pirateaaa through pirateaaz died from writing too much and pirateaba is just a weird outlier. pirateabb was due a year ago.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

...so I just realized, I had my He Who Fights With Monsters characters mixed up this whole time- I thought that Cassandra was Humphrey's mom, not jerk guy's 20-something sister. That makes her relationship with Jason simultaneously less unconventional, and a lot less funny. (Because yeah, I'm fairly sure that Jason would happily bang someone's mom if it set up a funny punchline down the road.)

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
He Who Fights With Monsters keeps being good.

Latest patreon spoiler (20 chapters ahead of you other plebes oh god why am I paying 10bux to read one chapter at a time anyways? Such a great loving moneymaking scheme because now I can't even stop paying because then it'd be a month until I could actually read something new again)
Farrah just unceremoniously dies in a clusterfuck operation that the guildmistress of the adventurers guild almost certainly set up for some reason. And just before that she fucks over Jason because he thought he could trust her re: Sophia.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Affi posted:

Latest patreon spoiler (20 chapters ahead of you other plebes oh god why am I paying 10bux to read one chapter at a time anyways? Such a great loving moneymaking scheme because now I can't even stop paying because then it'd be a month until I could actually read something new again)

Why indeed.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
non-patreon, though: jesus christ jason what the gently caress

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

90s Cringe Rock posted:

non-patreon, though: jesus christ jason what the gently caress

Yeah, isn’t “only mean to people who deserve it” one of his big defining character traits? That wasn’t being a comically evil heel in a simulation to get in people’s heads, that was straight up intimidating a records clerk into silence by giving her a lengthy description of how he would painfully erase her from existence.

There is something crucially wrong with Jason, and I hope the author is aware of it.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
That entire scene just flat out confused me. It felt so out of character for him unless he actually is the murderous psychopath he was "pretending" to be be in the VR fight. It both was uncomfortable to read, but also came out of nowhere and with no reason and was then brushed off and left with no explanation.

We better get something that clears that scene up very very soon or I am going to be pissed.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the video of him being an insane murderer has been seen by pretty much anyone connected to essence users in town, so hes playing off that rep to ensure the almost-certainly-corrupt clerk cant just be bribed to say he was there

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Still pretty fucky, though.

BadMedic
Jul 22, 2007

I've never actually seen him heal anybody.
Pillbug
The scene in the simulator I can get. The author wanted to go through a bunch of horror movie tropes with Jason as the antagonist.

This massive threat is hosed up though. Out of nowhere against a minor clerk for no reason.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

it's funny watching the poors that aren't 20 chapters ahead fussing and fretting and wringing their hands over every little atrocity Jason commits

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
TWI: another incredible goddamned chapter. i loved the parts with Orjin. also here's hoping Remi Canada doesn't get Khashoggi'd :smith:

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

pirateaba figured out how to do a flos chapter without it being boring! just add erin

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Lone Goat posted:

it's funny watching the poors that aren't 20 chapters ahead fussing and fretting and wringing their hands over every little atrocity Jason commits

I am on team become the monster, but unwilling to pay 10 dollars a month to read 1 chapter at a time slightly further ahead. I also feel like the story sort of glossed over how many people he killed in that whole pirate thing.

Also people should consider reading Apocalypse Born. It's a system apocalypse story with the gimmick that the MC is in the first generation born after the system takes over earth. So the apocalypse is over now, just the system and occasional monsters. It's really slice of life/chill so far, but I'm only about half-way through the first book.

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

I found Chrysalis a surprisingly enjoyable read. It's very much inspired by a certain murderous spider story but does rather go it's own way.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
I've been sifting through a lot of mediocre web serials looking for anything decent, and just ran into a promising looking one. Hell's Kitchen Sink seems to be a long running web serial website that I'm surprised I haven't even seen anywhere before considering how much they've written and of above-average quality for four-ish years now. Instead of it being a single story, she's written six books in the same universe plus one new one being written with each one having a beginning, middle and end and new main characters and plot in each one (though the later ones apparently have some overlap), so it avoids some of the neverending story bloat some serials get.

The setting is almost Fables/American Gods-esque, so mythological figures are real because humans believe they are real, with it going further and legendary figures and characters in stories being reborn when they die to live through the same story or tragedy again and again (Like a Cassandra born with the ability to foresee disaster but being unable to convince anyone else of it).

I've read through about half of book one, A Serpent in Zion, and am enjoying it so far.

Wolpertinger fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Oct 30, 2019

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
“I wouldn’t say a riot. Look, there was a jerk. He was all about stealing people’s money and charging ‘travel fees’ and stuff. Like [Bandits]. I…helped get rid of him.”

“She organized a coup.”

“Well, not really—”

yes, good

Edit: elephants :allears:

90s Cringe Rock fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Oct 30, 2019

Oo Koo
Nov 19, 2012
In practical guide news, Kairos Theodosian keeps being Kairos Theodosian and backstabs Malicia from beyond the grave.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
That was for sure the first good chandrar chapter. I liked the way everything was presented and i appreciate the way piratraba is tying in Erin to other events. Both in this chapter and the previous.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Oo Koo posted:

In practical guide news, Kairos Theodosian keeps being Kairos Theodosian and backstabs Malicia from beyond the grave.

Just Kairos doing Kairos things, not even death can stop him.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The people who read these web serials are some of the dumbest fuckers on the planet. The comments section of the latest PracGuide chapter has people like "I can't wait until Catherine takes off the gloves and kicks the dead king's rear end with her massive power!"

Like are these people just somehow completely missing the point of her entire character arc. Even the part of the chapter they were referring to is just her talking about how she could overpower these people because they have no Named on their side to counteract her; she couldn't do that poo poo against the Dead King, even if you ignore the other reasons it'd be dumb.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Truth is, those commenters are probably of average intelligence at worst.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
Someone who thinks Cat is going to go explode the dead king has clearly misunderstood both the arc of the story and the in-universe power levels, but all that really means is that they've read a YA story which is intended to be enjoyable when read at a very superficial level at that very superficial level.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

M. Night Skymall posted:

Also people should consider reading Apocalypse Born. It's a system apocalypse story with the gimmick that the MC is in the first generation born after the system takes over earth. So the apocalypse is over now, just the system and occasional monsters. It's really slice of life/chill so far, but I'm only about half-way through the first book.

I’m enjoying it too, but I’m hoping it picks up soon. I’m on chapter 10 at the moment and there hasn’t really been any real challenge to the main character. The couple of times he’s been in danger so far he handled easily, and all the adversity he’s been through has been as part of his training, to show that he’s bad at something now so that he can be good at it later. There’s been quite a few moments of introspection, though, so perhaps it’s less about struggling against adversity and more about a contemplative exploration of finding one’s place in a magical post-apocalyptic world?

The writing’s solid, moreso than I was expecting from a random web serial, and I really like the character interactions. I especially like how the act of thinking about things is being handled. Quick reactions to things are done inline as italicized words interjected into sentences. Longer thoughts are done in descriptive paragraphs, but the author is careful to do reasonable amounts of thinking between beats. (Unlike, say, PGtE, where Catherine plays an entire game of 5D chess in her head between sentences.)

It’s definitely leaving a strong impression so far, probably my favorite series I’ve started reading in the last few months.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Cicero posted:

Truth is, those commenters are probably of average intelligence at worst.

I'll take "Why are all these politics and diplomatic maneuvering in my Catherine-oriented power fantasy" over "The last 2 million words have only been terrible as a setup for Taylor to come back and fix all of the problems with WB's writing" any day, though. :)

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

blastron posted:

I’m enjoying it too, but I’m hoping it picks up soon. I’m on chapter 10 at the moment and there hasn’t really been any real challenge to the main character. The couple of times he’s been in danger so far he handled easily, and all the adversity he’s been through has been as part of his training, to show that he’s bad at something now so that he can be good at it later. There’s been quite a few moments of introspection, though, so perhaps it’s less about struggling against adversity and more about a contemplative exploration of finding one’s place in a magical post-apocalyptic world?

The writing’s solid, moreso than I was expecting from a random web serial, and I really like the character interactions. I especially like how the act of thinking about things is being handled. Quick reactions to things are done inline as italicized words interjected into sentences. Longer thoughts are done in descriptive paragraphs, but the author is careful to do reasonable amounts of thinking between beats. (Unlike, say, PGtE, where Catherine plays an entire game of 5D chess in her head between sentences.)

It’s definitely leaving a strong impression so far, probably my favorite series I’ve started reading in the last few months.

I was actually on chapter 10 when I wrote that recommendation, but things really pick up not long after that. I agree the writing's really well done for a web serial, and it actually tries for coming of age themes and not just generic power fantasy. I thought it was going to treat the whole act of being an adventurer more like a modern day alpinist. Like sure it's dangerous, but most of the time you don't actually die scaling Everest or whatever, especially if you're prepared. It uh, didn't exactly go that route though. It definitely gets a lot more serious in the later chapters of book 1. It's really good though and I'm sad I have to wait for chapters now.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.

Omi no Kami posted:

I'll take "Why are all these politics and diplomatic maneuvering in my Catherine-oriented power fantasy" over "The last 2 million words have only been terrible as a setup for Taylor to come back and fix all of the problems with WB's writing" any day, though. :)

People think Taylor is going to show up in Ward? Dear God why would they think that? Why would they want that?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
pracguide ended a couple chapters ago though, with the victory of the actual protagonist?

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

GreyjoyBastard posted:

pracguide ended a couple chapters ago though, with the victory of the actual protagonist?

I like how he can betray people even beyond the grave.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

tithin posted:

anaraxes is not dead

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Wittgen posted:

People think Taylor is going to show up in Ward? Dear God why would they think that? Why would they want that?

That's what really weirds me out. Like, even with as many criticisms as I have with Ward's writing and the direction the story takes I can appreciate how other people look at it and find stuff that resonates with them. But there have straight-up been, like, I think four or five points in the story to date where fans jumped on the theory that whatever was currently happening was a setup for Taylor to show up. Cloning factory? Taylor's gonna be cloned. Taylor's kid shows up? They can use his brain to make a Taylor. Amy is in the story? She could grow another Taylor. Contessa is in the story? She has Taylor in a glass box labelled "Break in case of emergency". They're on a planet full of shards? Taylor's shard must be there, maybe it grew another Taylor and she'll appear to save the day! It just goes on and on, and I genuinely can't figure out how people keep getting there from the actual text of the story.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Because if you really liked worm and the magic of wildbow has worn off but you are still reading hoping for redemption then Taylor must be in here somewhere.

It takes a long time for people to get over wildbow and move on, and one stage of that process seems to be “Taylor will save this”

I honestly skim most posts talking about WB these days because all of my friends have finally moved on, but for a while they too looked for Taylor and that’s my best explanation for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

GreyjoyBastard posted:

tithin posted:

violent sex idiot posted:

anaraxes is not dead

anaxares is not dead