Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

TerminalRaptor posted:

What bothers me is if they were going to go this route, why introduce these characters at all? It's a long time ago in a galaxy far far away. They could have had the events a hundred years after ROTJ and story wise it would have made more sense. You could even still have Luke appear as a force ghost if you were so insistent on tying the trilogies together..

Although it wouldn't have been what I wanted to see, I'm pretty sure that this idea would've been better than what we got as it would've forced everyone to become an actual character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Prince Myshkin posted:

These are, of course, the only options.

So far, yes.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

AndyElusive posted:

One of the main problems with the SW franchise is that it started with movies and then grew to encompass a plethora of media into its official canon. Which when you step back and think about it, is loving stupid and was in no way a sustainable or logical method to contribute to the franchise lore when something that happens in a dinky handheld game could add or alter as much to the universe as a comic book series. Disney HAD to loving axe all that bullshit because it would have been goddamn tedious to sift through it all and decide what counts.

That's not how it worked, but "it's real, all of it" is how Disney has marketed their new canon by pretending there is a story group that checks everything for internal consistency, even though there is clearly no such thing. They did that so fans would be willing to re-waste their lives reading all the new stuff, safe in the knowledge Disney would never again wipe the slate clean.
People used to say (ironically?) that certain Star Wars movies made no sense and were clearly made to sell supplementary EU material, but Lucas never gave a poo poo about the books; everything you need to know about those movies are in the movies. It is however the case now, where if you want to know what the hell is going on even on a basic level, you're supposed to read some dumbass comic book. The destruction of a confusingly portrayed galactic capital planet in TFA is probably the funniest example as it doesn't make any sense in the movie, even visually, and only makes less sense the more supplementary material you read. C3PO showing up talking about his new red arm read like a meta joke, like "ha ha don't you remember how awful it was when we had books explaining every stupid little detail like this", except we all knew Disney had likely already put out 40 comics about that arm (which is gone in the last scene anyway, after 3PO goes "welp time to put on my regular arm" in the background).

Thankfully, canon is for religious fanatics and should be ignored.

Mooey Cow fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Oct 30, 2019

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Jerkface posted:

Cuz everyone wants to know what becomes of the OT characters, and no one can fall back on George Lucas smugly saying "they died" because that mfer made a movie about a baby boba fett.
Except he actually had a plan for those characters in his ST treatments. It's inconceivable to me that he didn't put more effort into when happened to them than JJ or Kasden. Even if the end result was "they died', I can't believe it would be tied with "everything they did in the OT was pointless" which is what we have now.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I'm hyped for Star Wars Episode IX - The Many Moons of Endor

Featuring:
- The Forest Moon of Endor
- The Desert Moon of Endor
- The Ocean Moon of Endor
- The Snow Moon of Endor
- The Lava Moon of Endor

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

Cheesus posted:

Except he actually had a plan for those characters in his ST treatments. It's inconceivable to me that he didn't put more effort into when happened to them than JJ or Kasden. Even if the end result was "they died', I can't believe it would be tied with "everything they did in the OT was pointless" which is what we have now.

For all their talk about "hope" and whatnot, it really is pretty remarkable how bleak they managed to make their new movies. Even if they blow up Palpatine again, why should anyone believe these new characters won't turn out to have been total failures in 20 years as well?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

https://twitter.com/starwars/status/1189573143829962752

I do like seeing Hayden making a bit of a comeback to Star Wars lately. Makes me think we really will see a cameo from him in TROS.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

thrawn527 posted:

I do like seeing Hayden making a bit of a comeback to Star Wars lately. Makes me think we really will see a cameo from him in TROS.

There's no way that girl knows who the gently caress this dude is lol

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Papercut posted:

She might. Kids like the prequels.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

thrawn527 posted:

She might. Kids like the prequels.

My kids watch the prequels all the time, but the Hayden Christensen pictured just looks like some guy, they would never recognize him.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Papercut posted:

It’s her dad lol

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

AndyElusive posted:

if there's one thing Star Wars fans apparently loved is creatures with a multitude of sexual organs. :shrug:

Okay I’m only passingly familiar with the EU; is this a figure of speech of some sort or was it seriously populated with multidick aliens

I’d imagine the former but I’ve seen that guy with the lightsabers on his knees so I don’t know.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Honestly the old EU was pretty much prudish to a fault other than some mild human-furry dabbling. It was a huge kerfuffle in the mid 2000s when they first attempted to have a gay character in a book. On the fandom side all bets were off of course, same as it ever was

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

thrawn527 posted:

Okay that is pretty awesome. I like Hayden and he was one of the few good things about the prequels.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Angry Salami posted:

It just chooses not to.

Killing Han, Luke and (presumably) Leia while the EU chose not to on multiple occasions is apparently not out of the box enough for this all ages science fiction saga connoisseur.

Boxman posted:

Okay I’m only passingly familiar with the EU; is this a figure of speech of some sort or was it seriously populated with multidick aliens

I’d imagine the former but I’ve seen that guy with the lightsabers on his knees so I don’t know.

Ya, I was using it as a figure of speech. But the galaxy is a large place and the likelihood of there being multi dicked aliens can't and really shouldn't be ruled out.

AndyElusive fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Oct 30, 2019

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I said come in! posted:

Okay that is pretty awesome. I like Hayden and he was one of the few good things about the prequels.

I like Hayden too. I was hard on him in my youth when the prequels were coming out (like many others), and it took me while, but in like the last year or two I've come around and like him as Anakin. I just wish the PT started with him in Episode I.

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!
Yeah, but on the other hand, Jumper.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Mooey Cow posted:

For all their talk about "hope" and whatnot, it really is pretty remarkable how bleak they managed to make their new movies. Even if they blow up Palpatine again, why should anyone believe these new characters won't turn out to have been total failures in 20 years as well?

At this point the galaxy has been in a state of near constant war and lawlessness for half a century in-universe. At this point the Galaxy should be so economically exhausted and politically compromised that it should be heading into an equivalent of the European Dark Ages. actually Late Antiquity is a good metaphor for the whole franchise at this point. The Clone Wars were the Crisis of the Third Century, Palpatine was Aurelian and the New Republic was Constantine.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

There's pretty much no reason to believe you can actually kill palpatine at this point considering it's failed at least twice already. He is simply a constant in this universe and apparently the political factors underlying millions of people being willing to be ruled by him haven't really changed. Having come into being, he will be chewing the galaxy's scenery forever

No Mods No Masters fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Oct 30, 2019

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

No Mods No Masters posted:

Honestly the old EU was pretty much prudish to a fault other than some mild human-furry dabbling. It was a huge kerfuffle in the mid 2000s when they first attempted to have a gay character in a book. On the fandom side all bets were off of course, same as it ever was
Someone never read Shadows of the Empire

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

I honestly keep forgetting is this supposed to ultimately be a small scale conflict with everyone just bowing over so they can do their usual poo poo or was the first order like actively invading planets after blowing up the New Republic or what

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I did, that book was pretty horned up by old EU standards yes. But all it really amounted to was a creeper lizard dude who had pheromone powers trying and failing to seduce leia IIRC.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

thrawn527 posted:

"I don't like starwarsland. It's rough and irritating and it takes forever to get anywhere"

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
I assumed the C3PO arm thing was a weird Metal Gear reference because it’s JJ Abrams and he’s a nerd

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

ChaseSP posted:

I honestly keep forgetting is this supposed to ultimately be a small scale conflict with everyone just bowing over so they can do their usual poo poo or was the first order like actively invading planets after blowing up the New Republic or what

I feel like it was the former until Starkiller Base, then it became the latter. But I wish it stayed the former.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

SolarFire2 posted:

I like Jumper lol.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

ChaseSP posted:

It was in a quantum state between the two in TFA since JJ wanted to keep all options open. Then rian randomly decided it was the latter and in fact the entire new republic had been conquered and ceased to exist off camera. Thanks JJ, thanks rian

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I read Dark Empire and my favorite thing about it was the acid trip artstyle

"I'm okay Leia. I haven't fallen to the Dark Side." Luke says while looking like he's just eaten a room full of children

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

No Mods No Masters posted:

I did, that book was pretty horned up by old EU standards yes. But all it really amounted to was a creeper lizard dude who had pheromone powers trying and failing to seduce leia IIRC.

are we just going to pretend Dark Nest didn’t happen now

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Mandrel posted:

are we just going to pretend Dark Nest didn’t happen now

Can we please?

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I skipped those books because of their terrible reputation and then checked out completely after the legacy series because it was so godawful. So fair point but I'm also going to pretend they don't exist

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

thrawn527 posted:

Can we please?

no. bug orgy is canon as far as I’m concerned.

disney are cowards until rey and kylo have tantric group sex with a bunch of bugs

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

SolarFire2 posted:

Great concept, terrible execution. There are some really fun sequences in there and I think had they cut the stupid teen romance you could've had something way better. The cast had Michael Rooker, Diane Lane and Sam Jackson to anchor the younger actors and Liman is reliable in turning in entertaining movies. Really curious what the hell went on behind the scenes there.

Mat Cauthon fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Oct 30, 2019

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

SleepCousinDeath posted:

I assumed the C3PO arm thing was a weird Metal Gear reference because it’s JJ Abrams and he’s a nerd

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!

Mat Cauthon posted:

Great concept, terrible execution. There are some really fun sequences in there and I think had they cut the stupid teen romance you could've had something way better. The cast had Michael Roomer, Diane Lane and Sam Jackson to anchor the younger actors and Liman is reliable in turning in entertaining movies. Really curious what the hell went on behind the scenes there.

I can agree with that. Although it was always laughable to me that the concept was that these two sides have been fighting for centuries, but for some reason have a treaty 'No guns guys, seriously.'

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
hayden is just really photogenic and tall and handsome. no homo :gay:

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

hes old and busted now

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Be nice to hayden. He's suffered enough

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

People say he’s had his career tanked but it seems like he’s retired to a ranch and works sporadically. Seems like a great outcome IMO. I’m sure he’s a little sad he didn’t end up being Leo or whatever but still, blessed life.

My fave Ep3 details are his mullet evoking Vader’s helmet and when he gets mad he does a JEJ impression that’s honestly not the worst.

well why not fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Oct 31, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Wild Horses posted:

hayden is just really photogenic and tall and handsome. no homo :gay:

depends on the photo