Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

Xenomrph posted:

I'll get caught up on reviews probably tomorrow after work, but here's a bingo card I made for myself for Spooky Movie Month:

I want you to know that I watched 2 extra movies I probably wouldnt have so that I could fill out a complete card.

The House on Haunted Hill (50s movie) and Trollhunter (Found Footage)

I also surpassed my goal of 31 total movies and all that remains for me is to finish the Samhain challenges. I have not completed #12 but I have the perfect movie lined up for tonight after trick or treating with the kids.

edit - This is a great snipe and I aint even mad.

TheBizzness fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Oct 31, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

:siren: SUPER SAMHAIN CHALLENGE #12: Cavalcade of Creepiness :siren:

31. From a Whisper to a Scream (1987)

I don’t watch many anthologies, maybe because they tend to be so inconsistent in terms of the style or quality of the shorts. I’m also a little tired of the “person makes a bad choice and then dies” formula, which is all that most anthology segments have time for. That style of story does show up in From a Whisper to a Scream, but there’s more to each short than that so I found it surprisingly fun. It’s also really grisly and dark for an anthology movie, which was a nice change of pace. The frame story, which introduces the tormented town of Oldfield, went to a surprising place right at the start, even before Vincent Price starts telling tales about the twisted history of the town.

The first story is about the kind of “nice” guy whose neighbors would call him quiet and polite once the world found out about his dark side, and it manages to be thoroughly creepy even before its out-there ending. The second story, about a guy so mean and selfish that he can’t show gratitude to someone who helped him, finishes on a nasty scene that I think works even if you saw it coming. The carnival story that comes next may be the most mean-spirited of the bunch, making it clear that Oldfield is dangerous even if you’re doing something as seemingly harmless as falling in love. Then there’s a civil war story that connects the horrors of war to depraved children in a much more direct way than Who Can Kill a Child did. That last section has a moment that managed to be gross enough to be shocking even after all the necrophilia, burning alive, and being torn apart from the inside of the earlier stories.

I liked this one a lot, and I'd have a hard time picking a favorite from among the stories. Highly recommended, but it may be a little too dark to watch with a group unless they're all solid horror fans.

32. The She-Creature (1956)

I had a little extra time yesterday but didn’t want to watch my last challenge movie until Halloween, so I put on the first random thing on Prime that caught my eye. This is one of those cases where it might have paid to be more selective.

The idea of a hypnotist pushing his past-life regression “research” so far back in time that his subject isn’t human any more is an interesting idea for a monster movie, but The She-Creature doesn’t bother developing the pre-historical stuff or any of its other potential themes. Instead the characters just drag us slowly through the plot until the creature appears again. There’s also a lot of talking about money and staring down a chunky old dog. The time frame is pretty difficult to pin down because they’re publishing books and declaring that one of the characters is a national sensation when all we see him do is repeat his sideshow act in a rich guy’s living room for the same group of people a few times. I also don't get the point of having a romance arc that involves five people, only two of which seem to genuinely like each other at any point during the movie.

The creature itself is confusing. It has boobs so you know it’s a lady monster, but it also looks pretty lizardy, which would make the breasts biologically pointless. Maybe it’s some kind of armored aquatic mammal that can feed its young with breasts that have no nipples? All I know is that if I’m spending this much time trying to figure out the science of the monster, then the rest of your movie is boring.

Watched: 1. Burn, Witch, Burn (1962); 2. TerrorVision (1986); 3. Evilspeak (1981) - Challenge #1; 4. Blood on Satan’s Claw (1971); 5. The City of the Dead (1960); 6. The Witches (1966); 7. The Crimson Cult (1968); 8. A Return to Salem’s Lot (1987) - Challenge #2; 9. Next of Kin (1982); 10. The Ritual (2017); 11. Def by Temptation (1990) - Challenge #3; 12. Halloween III (1982); 13. House by the Cemetery (1981); 14. The Dorm That Dripped Blood (1982); 15. Phenomena (1985); 16. Color Me Blood Red (1965) - Challenge #4; 17. Girls With Balls (2018); 18. Tarot (2009) - Challenge #5; 19. Jug Face (2013); 20. Wake Wood (2009); 21. Happy Death Day (2017); 22. Poltergeist II (1986) - Challenge #6; 23. Wolfman’s Got Nards (2018); 24. Spookies (1986); 25. The Midnight Hour (1985) - Challenge #7; 26. P2 (2007) Challenge #8; 27. Dan Curtis’s Dracula (1973); 28. Interface (1985) - Challenge #9; 29. Occult (2009) - Challenge #10; 30. Pet Sematary (2019) - Challenge #11; 31. From a Whisper to a Scream (1987) - Challenge #12; 32. The She-Creature (1956);

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

:spooky: My Ironman Final Numbers. :spooky:

Goal was to sit through as many franchises as possible with Fran Challenges being the only exceptions, and daily target being two films minimum per day. No repeats from previous Ironmans.

Ended up watching a total of 122 movies. Watched at least two per day. All Fran Challenges completed.

Franchises watched were:

Silent Night, Deadly Night
Lost Boys
Prom Night
Children of the Corn
Leprechaun
Critters
Night of the Demons
Scanners
The Howling
Blair Witch
Piranha
Friday the 13th
Halloween
Amityville Horror

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
SAMHAIN CHALLENGE: MONSTER MASH

Frankenstein Meets The Wolfman

This movie seems to get a lot of poo poo, and I can see why, but I did enjoy it because it was at least another chance to see Chaney Jr. as Lawrence Talbot. And this is actually a big missing piece in his story for me, I'd seen House of Frankenstein where he wakes up and he already knows about his unfortunate immortality. But this is the movie where he figures all that out for the first time. You see him come to the realization that he can't die, and what that means for the people around him.

Glen Strange is a pretty solid monster, at least visually. Shame that he never really seemed to get the same level of material as Karloff, although I guess there was never any chance anyone was going to supplant Karloff there. Overall I still enjoyed this, I mean it's got all the trappings of Universal Horror that I love(it opens on a spooky graveyard, so what's to complain about?)so I find it hard to complain about the lackluster story too much.

Bram Stoker's Dracula

Now that we're in the home stretch, and I've completed all the Challenges, the last few days are all about my all time favorites. Maybe this would've been a solid choice for "guilty pleasure"? I dunno, it's hard to gauge opinion on this film because there will always be those who saw it years ago and the only thing they remember is Keanu Reeves doing an over the top accent. There's also some Dracula fans who don't particularly like the whole "love never dies" angle that Coppola took with the film.

But for pure atmosphere, old school monsters, and excellent gothic visuals, it's hard to beat it. The combination of stagey sets with ultra detailed costumes makes for a unique aesthetic and I can't really think of anything quite like it. I'm certainly biased though, because is the first Dracula adaptation I saw as a kid. The film was a major hit and made 200+ million(that was a lot in 1992!), so Gary Oldman's ridiculous hairdo was everywhere that year, including it's own Treehouse of Horror segment. So this is an absolutely essential yearly rewatch for me.

Trick 'R Treat

You just don't find anthologies like this anymore, with the absolutely perfect tone and a coherence between the stories that makes it feel like one big celebration of Halloween. Too many anthologies these days go the disconnected route(Nightmare Cinema comes to mind, although there were practical circumstances that caused that). Not that every anthology needs to literally have interconnected stories but I enjoy when there's consistent theme, like the original Tales From the Crypt, or Tales From the Hood.

My clear favorite story in this has always been the kids bullying Rhonda, and how that ends up connecting to the story featuring Brian Cox. But the movie never really stops moving, and so if you're not enthusiastic about one particular story it never lingers too long. This and Krampus mean I will always be interested in whatever Michael Dougherty is up to, although I'd be almost worried if he went back and made a long-awaited Trick 'R Treat sequel because it could never be quite as good.

Well, that wraps up all the Fran Challenges! They've been such a great addition this yearly tradition and I hope Fran continues it in the future. I have at least 3 or 4 more movies to watch tonight(From Beyond anyone?), but unfortunately I won't be making it to a personal best total. 50+ ain't bad though!

Watched: 1. Child's Play(1988) 2. Child's Play(2019) 3. VHS: Viral 4. Tales From the Crypt 5. (SAMHAIN CHALLENGE #1)Viy 6. House of Frankenstein 7. Van Helsing 8. The Shining 9. Salem's Lot 10. Poltergeist 2: The Other Side 11. Pumpkinhead 2: Blood Wings 12. The Ravenous 13. Alucarda 14. Horror of Dracula 15. Dracula: Prince of Darkness 16. Midsommar 17. Candyman 18. Hellraiser 19. An American Werewolf in London 20. Bad Moon 21. Prince of Darkness 22. The Fog 23. (SAMHAIN CHALLENGE #2)House of 1000 Corpses 24. The Devil's Rejects 25. 3 From Hell 26. (SAMHAIN CHALLENGE #4)Crawl 27. (SAMHAIN CHALLENGE# 3) Ganja & Hess 28. Aenigma 29. City of the Living Dead 30. Halloween 31. Halloween II 32. Halloween III 33. Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers 34. Halloween 5: The Revenge of Michael Myers 35. (SAMHAIN CHALLENGE #6)Halloween 6: The Curse of Michael Myers(Producer's Cut) 36. Halloween: H2O 37. Halloween: Resurrection 38. Halloween(2007) 39. Halloween II(2009) 40. (SAMHAIN CHALLENGE #8) Santa's Slay 41. (SAMHAIN CHALLENGE #9)The Lawnmower Man 42. (SAMHAIN CHALLENGE #10)The Mutilator 43. (SAMHAIN CHALLENGE #5) Pizza 44.(SAMHAIN CHALLENGE #11) The Mangler 45. (SAMHAIN CHALLENGE #13)The Mummy(1999) 46. (SAMHAIN CHALLENGE #12)Nightmare Cinema 47. Frankenstein 48. Bride of Frankenstein 49. (SAMHAIN CHALLENGE #7)Frankenstein Meets The Wolfman 50. Bram Stoker's Dracula 51. Trick 'R Treat

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Oct 31, 2019

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
33. The Brood

A psychiatrist uses a strange technique on survivors of horrific trauma. A husband believes his wife is responding to this treatment poorly and endangering their daughter. Then... the killing starts.

This was a great late 70s nasty horror film. Everything is intense from the scenes of the therapy sessions to the bizarre killings. It's one of those great horror movies too where even the quiet in-between "lore" scenes feature unsettling characters and situations. The whole thing escalates at a nice pace to a truly buckwild finale.

Whoever recommended this a couple days ago, thanks, this was a treat!

4 out of 5 questionable therapies

Dr. Puppykicker
Oct 16, 2012

Meanwhile

36. Re-Animator (1985)
:spooky:Challenge #13: Maniac:spooky:

Goopy, icky, spooky, leery, silly, and oh so much fun. Benefits enormously from Combs' totally straight-faced performance as Herbert West, far funnier for his never cracking. And the special effects of course are kind of a miracle of gore, with pretty much every one of the goofier forms of dismemberment on display in the totally nuts finale. I feel a bit silly reviewing this in a horror thread because you all know this one and why it's good. Still giving this one the guilty pleasure category because...well, ew. But yeah, undeniable if you're open to the pleasures of juvenile transgression.

4.5/5 :zombie:

And that's Challenge Complete! Tonight is my annual re-watch of Night of the Living Dead, my favorite horror movie and the reason I became the kind of person to join in something like this. Happy Halloween all! :spooky:

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
32)Doctor Sleep
theatres

Loved it. It was going to be hard to thread the needle of adapting a novel that's a sequel to a book that is very different from the film that Kubrick made. But Flanagan nailed it. I have some minor quibbles, but overall I'm really happy with it and only regret I didn't have time to throw on the shining again before I saw it

:spooky::spooky::spooky::spooky:.5/5

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

Happy Halloween, Challenge Thread! Last SS Challenges for me incoming.

Franchescanado posted:

SUPER SAMHAIN CHALLENGE #13: Maniac
Thanks to M_Sinastri for this torture device

:ohdear: Watch your “guilty pleasure” horror film.

#38. Child's Play 3 (iTunes)

10 years after his last rampage, Chucky is rebuilt and resurrected again. He chases after Andy Barclay, now a teenager and enrolled in a military academy, and soon sets his sights on stealing the body of Tyler, a young student at the school.

There's just something about pairing this movie, which both is and isn't all good, with greasy Chinese food, which also both is and isn't good. That's my guilty please scenario.

Child's Play 3 isn't very well regarded by fans of the Chucky series, and I never totally understood the hatred this movie got. It's fine, especially compared to a lot of other middling slasher sequels of the late 80s and early 90s, even if it's not as outstanding as either of its predecessors. It's decently well paced, looks okay, has pretty good set design and okay gore scenes... it ends up feeling adequate all around, even if it rarely feels like it steps above basic adequacy.

I think the hatred the fandom has stems from a severe feeling of disappointment - the film has a lot of good setup that never quite gels or gets paid off in a satisfying way. The beginning scenes are a fairly interesting parody of the business side of children's toys, culminating in the rear end in a top hat CEO getting killed by Chucky... but that element gets dropped immediately thereafter. Then, an interesting character angle for Andy is introduced, with him seemingly revisiting his past traumas when the Good Guys commercials start up again... but this aspect largely disappears once Chucky syncs up with Tyler, his new prey. On top of all of that, the basic idea of Chucky being an incongruous figure in the military school never feels like it gets well paid off - the school is never treated as its own character and only a bare handful of characters get set up at all, so everything feels very small and insular and Chucky never stands out as a menace to anyone in particular.

I dunno... I like this movie more than it probably deserves, and a lot of that feels tied to a particular scenario and personal history than anything the film itself does. It's fine as a perfectly adequate slasher sequel, even if it never seems to rise above bare mediocrity (the opening is good and the end scene in the carnival is a lot of fun, even if it feels out of place compared to the rest of the film). But, on the other hand, Brad Dourif is always great and you also get Andrew Robinson having a bit of fun with a throwaway character, so it also has that going for it.

:ghost::ghost::ghost:/5

Franchescanado posted:

SUPER SAMHAIN CHALLENGE #8: Happy Holidays!
Thanks to FancyMike for designing this torture device

:ohdearsass: Watch a horror film that you haven't seen that takes place on a holiday that isn't Halloween, All Hallow's Eve, Samhain, (edit) Dia De Los Muertos, etc.

#39. Silent Night, Deadly Night 3: Better Watch Out! (Vudu)

Ricky Caldwell, the Santa Claus killer from the last movie, is still alive after being shot repeatedly. A reckless doctor has replaced the top of his skull with a transparent dome... and is trying to psychically link him with a blind woman, Laura. On Christmas Eve, Ricky wakes from his coma and begins pursuing Laura to her grandmother's house, killing everyone in his way.

Lord, what a disappointment. It's one thing to bring back Ricky, the villain from the last film, from the dead... it's another thing to never put him in a Santa Claus suit in a Christmas-themed horror movie series! Especially since that would allow them to hide the doofy transparent brain dome prop that Ricky has throughout the movie. It's like the filmmakers were more proud of that one fake-looking costume piece than they were the idea of a Christmas killer, so they never bothered doing the ONE THING that the Silent Night, Deadly Night series was famous for (to this point). (Like, say what you will about SN,DN 2 - it's a terrible movie, half a clip show, has the greatest line reading of all time... but it at least has the good sense to stick the villain in a Santa Claus suit for the last 15 minutes.)

I wanna say it's cool to see young Bill Moseley in this thing, but the film never gives him anything to do except wander around like a Dollar Store Michael Myers and occasionally stab people with a letter opener. (They can't even have interesting Christmas-themed kills to offset anything in this worthless piece of garbage! Hell, I think most of the kills happen offscreen in that bog-standard "POV camera advances into victim's face" nonsense.)

There is absolutely nothing to recommend here. Avoid like the plague.

:ghost:/5

Watched so far: The Curse of Frankenstein, Villains, Horror of Dracula, You're Next, House on Haunted Hill (1959), Halloween 4, Army of Darkness, A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984), The Fly (1986), Joker, The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms, The Creature from the Black Lagoon, Beyond the Gates, The First Purge, Rodan, Killer Klowns from Outer Space, Halloween II (1981), The Addams Family (2019), The Mummy (1932), Jason X, It Stains the Sands Red, The Invisible Man (1933), Zombieland, Terrified, A Nightmare on Elm Street 3, Chopping Mall, Halloween 6, Thirteen Ghosts (2001), The Wolf Man (1941), Brainscan, The Rocky Horror Picture Show (1975), Pet Sematary (2019), Insidious, Wounds, Body Bags, House of Dracula, The Seventh Curse, Child's Play 3, Silent Night, Deadly Night 3

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Class3KillStorm posted:

Happy Halloween, Challenge Thread! Last SS Challenges for me incoming.

#38. Child's Play 3 (iTunes)

the end scene in the carnival is a lot of fun, even if it feels out of place compared to the rest of the film

yeah it's great. how can you not love Chucky performing a voodoo ritual on top of a mountain of skulls?

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
20. Hell House LLC

When found footage horror movies started appearing, there were a lot of duds, and I and probably many others got sick of them. "Found footage horror" was a punchline. I never expected the medium to evolve, but it did. REC/Quarantine, The Bay, the V/H/S series, The Taking Of Deborah Logan, etc., all good to great and didn't really abuse the genre to hide flaws in the film. This was not one of those. The camera is shaky at all times, even during normal conversations when the camera has no reason to wave around violently. Rather than show anything at all interesting happening, the camera swings away from it and shows static, or a closeup of someone's face, or someone's shoes. It's hard to tell if the filmmakers are doing it to mask the low budget or if it's because they believe it's what found footage horror is "supposed" to do to raise suspense.

Behind Maslow
Apr 11, 2008

#23. Halloween (1978)
(Rewatch)

A masked psychopath stalks and kills a girl and her friends.

What better way to start Halloween out than with Halloween. This and three are my favoites. I really wish they would have stuck with independent Halloween based movies for this series, but poo poo happens. Everything about this is outstanding. The score is classic and alone invokes feelings of Halloween.

Behind Maslow
Apr 11, 2008

#24. A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors (1987)
(Rewatch)

Freddy Kruger picks off teens at a psychiatric hospital.

I often go between 1 and 3 as my favorite of the series. 2 also, but only because there is such a lack of gay horror and 2 is incredibly gay, but thats a whole different topic. Here the series hits prime special effects and begins an story that continues for two more sequels. Too bad Freddy's Dead throws it all out the window.

Also, Dream Warriors by Dokken loving rules.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

If we're including the stuff I watched for Hooptober, I watched almost 60 movies, almost all of them new to me.

My top 10 for the month are The Lighthouse, Cure, Candyman, The Addiction, Viy, The Vanishing, Knife + Heart, The Driller Killer, One Cut of the Dead, All The Colors of the Dark, and Hagazussa. Full rankings on my letterboxd.

Worst film I saw this month was probably the Nightmare on Elm Street remake. Stay Alive is a close second, but that movie's at least redeemed by being unintentionally funny as hell.

Some extra awards:

Wildest Movie: Viy
Sleaziest Movie: Lady Terminator
Cringiest Movie: Stay Alive
Oldest Movie: Phantom of the Opera
Newest Movie: The Lighthouse
Most Vaporwave Movie: Aenigma
Bleakest Movie: Man Bites Dog/The Vanishing
Most Metal Movie: Hagazussa
Most Surprising Movie: One Cut of the Dead
Most Disappointing Movie: The Hills Have Eyes

What I watched for the Samhain challenge:
SAMHAIN CHALLENGE #1: Viy
SAMHAIN CHALLENGE #2: Spider Baby
SAMHAIN CHALLENGE #3: Tales From The Hood
SAMHAIN CHALLENGE #4: Color Me Blood Red
SAMHAIN CHALLENGE #5: Errementari: The Devil and the Blacksmith
SAMHAIN CHALLENGE #6: A Nightmare On Elm Street (2010)
SAMHAIN CHALLENGE #7: Neon Maniacs
SAMHAIN CHALLENGE #8: Blood Rage
SAMHAIN CHALLENGE #9: The Lawnmower Man
SAMHAIN CHALLENGE #10: The Last Wave
SAMHAIN CHALLENGE #11: Dagon
SAMHAIN CHALLENGE #12: Body Bags
SAMHAIN CHALLENGE #13: Hellraiser III: Hell on Earth

Watched: 1. Candyman 2. The Wailing 3. Spookies 4. One Cut of the Dead 5. Viy 6. The Driller Killer 7. Tammy and the T-Rex 8. Friday the 13th Pt VI: Jason Lives 9. Scary Movie 10. Ice Cream Man 11. Freaks 12.The Hills Have Eyes 13. Spider Baby 14. Lady Terminator 15. All The Colors of the Dark 16.Tales From The Hood 17. Man Bites Dog 18. Prime Evil 19. Bride of Re-Animator 20. The Phantom Carriage 21. Thinner 22. Robot Monster 23. Color Me Blood Red 24. A Bay of Blood 25. Errementari: The Devil and the Blacksmith 26. The Lighthouse 27. TerrorVision 28. Phantom of the Opera (1925) 29. Stay Alive 30. Hobgoblins 31. Knife + Heart 32. Rats: Night of Terror 33. Dog Soldiers 34. A Nightmare on Elm Street (2010) 35. Neon Maniacs 36. Hagazussa 37. Aenigma 38. Cure 39. The Lawnmower Man 40. The Last Wave 41. Body Bags 42. Blood Rage 43. Hellraiser III: Hell on Earth 44. Carnival of Sinners 45. Dagon 46. Popcorn 47. The Addiction 48. The Vanishing

I need to watch more foreign (or non-Western, at least) horror next year. This year felt a bit America-heavy for me.

Friends Are Evil fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Nov 2, 2019

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Everyone's posting their run-downs a day early like they aren't gonna be marathoning spooky stuff tonight?

You spooky peeps is crazy.

It's gonna be nice not having to only watch horror movies, but October always seems to prime the well. By the time the month's over, I still have dozens of horror movies I want to watch. Really the whole 4th quarter of every year is Horror Movie Time in ol' Fran's house.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Franchescanado posted:

Everyone's posting their run-downs a day early like they aren't gonna be marathoning spooky stuff tonight?

My movie night ends at about six since I'm going into the city to do bad things so there's probably some of that. That said I have to do like 10 reviews in four hours, I'm the worst.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

weekly font posted:

My movie night ends at about six since I'm going into the city to do bad things so there's probably some of that. That said I have to do like 10 reviews in four hours, I'm the worst.

Like I said, the deadline for posting reviews isn't until 1PM tomorrow, so hopefully that helps ease the burden.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

10) The House That Dripped Blood (1971)

A surprisingly tame movie in spite of the fantastic title. Overall a decent anthology that is largely carried by having a good cast in each short.
Brief thoughts on each segment:

Segment 1: Probably my least favorite since very little happens. If the villain did a bit more besides stand around menacingly until the last five minutes I think it would have created a better sense of tension.

Segment 2: This was much better and I could watch Peter Cushing wander around a small English town while classical music plays for the length of a full feature. I like that you never get a complete explanation of the girl in Cushing's photograph, it gives a sense of melancholy to the first half of the segment.

Segment 3: Lee is perfect as a tyrannical and cold father. I had to laugh a bit at the end when the real estate agent says that everything was caused by the house when it seemed pretty obvious that Lee's character created the situation by being such an rear end in a top hat.

Segment 4: A very silly way to end this movie. It doesn't match the tone of the previous segments at all but I think I actually liked it the best. I've never seen Jon Pertwee in anything but Doctor Who and considering his wardrobe here I think this only partially counts as seeing him play a different role.

Framing Story: I don't actually have anything to say about this other than the fact that when the credits hit it was weird seeing that all three actors in this part of the movie were named John.

And with that I've hit the 10 movie goal I set for myself! I'll save any brief final thoughts for tomorrow in case I squeeze in one more today.

blood_dot_biz
Feb 24, 2013
#30 Anguish (1987)

Kicking off Halloween morning right!

Another treat! Two movies for the price of one!

Zelda Rubinstein and Michael Lerner are extremely fun to watch here, and it's hard to showcase through screenshots but all their dialogue is super good as well. I loved their segments so much that I nearly want to complain that the entire movie wasn't just about them, but there was so much good stuff done with the movie within a movie angle that I can't actually be disappointed about that. I've seen that sort of thing done in other movies but I'm not sure I've ever seen it done as well or explored as deeply as it was here. What's on the screen and what's happening in reality seems initially so distinct, but it gets more and more disorienting as things go on, and the lines become blurred not only to the characters but also to us.

Maybe not the best movie to watch if you can't handle eye stuff, but this is a great time and a deliciously inviting way to start off my Halloween viewing since it invites its characters to leave the confines of their own world and walk among whichever reality they so choose.

Watched (30/31): #1 Gozu (2003), #2 Spider Baby or, the Maddest Story Ever Told (1967), #3 Viy (1967), #4 Mondo Cane (1962), #5 Dark Water (2002), #6 Blood and Black Lace (1964), #7 Daughters of Darkness (1971), #8 Sliders of Ghost Town: Origins (2016), #9 One Cut of the Dead (2017), #10 Possum (2018), #11 EGG. (2005), #12 Adventures of Electric Rod Boy (1987), #13 House of 1000 Corpses (2003), #14 Ganja and Hess (1973), #15 Q (1982), #16 Hungry Stones (1960), #17 The Ruins (2008), #18 The Lighthouse (2019), #19 Pulgasari (1985), #20 Halloween (2018), #21 Freddy vs. Jason (2003), #22 The Phantom Carriage (1921), #23 Resident Evil (2002), #24 The Legend of the Seven Golden Vampires (1974), #25 It (2017), #26 Tales from the Hood (1995), #26b Tokyo Gore Police (2008), #27 The Oily Maniac (1976), #28 The Boxer's Omen (1983), #29 Cremator (1969), #30 Anguish (1987)
Challenges (13/13): #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7, #8, #9, #10, #11, #12, #13

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
33)Room 237

While some of these theories are more out there than others, It's a nice deep dive and way of looking at the film that you might not have considered.

:spooky::spooky::spooky:/5

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
21. Trick 'r Treat

This is a "new classic", but I somehow avoided seeing it. I think I got it confused with Tales of Halloween. This was good, but I didn't like all the violence against children, so I don't think this is going to be a yearly rewatch for me. I loved how all the segments intertwined though.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Franchescanado posted:

You spooky peeps is crazy.

I'm still going to be watching horror movies, just not doing counts or write ups.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

M_Sinistrari posted:

I'm still going to be watching horror movies, just not doing counts or write ups.

:yeah:

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Ambitious Spider posted:

33)Room 237

While some of these theories are more out there than others, It's a nice deep dive and way of looking at the film that you might not have considered.

:spooky::spooky::spooky:/5

I like that legal disclaimer that takes up a quarter of the poster.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

duz posted:

I like that legal disclaimer that takes up a quarter of the poster.

not exactly the same thing, but this reminded me of how much I love when old posters had fake disclaimers on them:

:ssh: there are no demons in the movie

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

Hit 30 (25 new, 5 rewatches). Just one more to go!

24 - The Autopsy of Jane Doe - This was really pretty good. The mystery really drew me in, unexplained things going on one after another, piecing together some mystery but not one that makes sense. It maintained a high tension and none of the scares really felt cheap. The one thing I didn't like was the final resolution: It seemed like the father had finally cracked the code, understood her, and taken the suffering from her, transferring the pain from one innocent to another, but then nothing happened? What was the point?.
:spooky: 3.5/5

25 - Repo! The Genetic Opera - Kinda surprised I hadn't seen this one earlier. It's definitely a memorable movie. It often feels like it's trying to be edgy, but its so different that its not a fault. It's not really my sort of movie, but I definitely can't hate it, it's knows exactly what it is and goes all in on whatever that is, and its the sort of thing that has a lot of rewatch value.
:spooky: it'd be like a 3/5, but it has a certain quality that's not really rateable.

25 New Movies - 1: K-12 2: Gozu 3: The Wailing 4: Phantom of the Paradise 5: Viy (SC1) 6: One Cut of the Dead 7: Happiness of the Katakuris 8: Little Monsters 9: Shadow of the Vampire 10: Bone Tomahawk (SC2) 11: Ichi the Killer 12: The Witch 13: Hereditary 14: Tammy and the T-Rex (SC4) 15: The Purge: Anarchy (SC6) 16: Boa vs. Python (SC7) 17: Black Christmas (SC8) 18: Lawnmower Man (SC9) 19: Demon Knight (SC3) 20: Tales From The Darkside: The Movie (SC12) 21: Children of the Corn (SC11) 22: Occult (SC10) 23:Naani (SC5) 24: The Autopsy of Jane Doe 25: Repo! The Genetic Opera
5 Rewatches - Event Horizon, In the Mouth of Madness, The Cell, Cabin in the Woods (SC13), One Cut of the Dead

StormOfDarkness
Oct 16, 2012

We know how to sing but we don't know how to handle money or women. Do-wap. do do wop.

31. Halloween (1978)
The town of Haddonfield has a Halloween problem. The parents, instead of taking their children trick or treating, go out and leave their young children with babysitters. The babysitters don’t take them out, the most they do is show the kids some scary movies. No one has their lights on, no one is handing out candy. No one has Jack’O’Lanterns out.
Then Micheal Myers appears. He’s insane, a psychotic killer, but he has one thing the rest of the town doesn’t. Halloween spirit. His first order of business is stealing a costume, a mask and some VERY sharp knives. The cops think it was some kid, but in this town, no cares about halloween.
Except one escaped convict, Michael Myers. Even during his killing spree, he dressed up as a ghost, presumably to make the killings more fun. Halloween is supposed to be spooky, fun, and festive. Yet Myers is the only one trying, so he has to do all the work himself. And if it takes a killing spree, he’ll do it. He’s committed.
What I’m saying is Haddonfield created this monster themselves. So this Halloween eat candy, carve a pumpkin, watch a scary movie, dress up, party, drink, be festive, write 31 horror reviews. And if you don’t, well, if Micheal Myers comes to your town, well you have no one but yourself to blame. And definitely sleep with one eye open...

qwewq
Aug 16, 2017
#30: Alien (1979)
Watched on Blu Ray

Perfection. Distinctive visual style, an instant classic creature design, excellent performances from high caliber actors, scares that continue to thrill and chill at least two decades since I saw it for the first time, I can never get enough of this. Many movies get by on a wisp of the imagination and vision that is blowing in gale force in Alien, and it has the control to not linger; we get astounding glimpses into a terrifying universe, then are pulled away to the next bit of dark creation. Giger seems to get the lions share of the design accolades, but really, the entire art direction for the film is inspired and groundbreaking, the space trucker vibe is sensational and classic. Telling people to watch this feels like a foregone conclusion, Alien is a must for fans of all film, let alone horror.

:spooky::spooky::spooky::spooky::spooky:/5

Watched: 1. From Beyond 2. Evil Dead 3. Phantasm 4. Candyman 5. Phenomena 6. Boar 7. Mandy 8. A Quiet Place 9. The Crazies 10. Friday the 13th 11. Ginger Snaps 12. The Collector 13. Body Bags 14. The Lost Boys 15. The Devil's Rejects 16. Slugs 17. The Midnight Meat Train 18. House of 1000 Corpses 19. Final Prayer/The Borderlands 20. Lake Mungo 21. High Tension 22. Castle Freak 23. Suspiria 24. Suspiria 25. Chopping Mall 26. The Lighthouse 27. The VVitch 28. Tigers Are Not Afraid 29. Evil Bong 30. Alien

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
21. The Dead Don't Die

How in the world did this manage to be boring? I think it tried to go for a specific tone and turned the dial way too high. If I didn't just find out my step-daughter is running a fever, this movie would be the most disappointing way to end my Halloween marathon. Waiting for the Tylenol to kick in and letting her walk down at least one block.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Welp that's it, I don't think I could've done much more and since it's 11pm when I'm starting my last movie, this is going to be the final tally. I did exceed my goal of 15 new movies but couldn't get all the Fran challenges due to the scheduling and occasionally sub-optimal planning on my end:

1. One Cut of the Dead
2. Memory: the Origins of Alien
3. Crawl
4. Harpoon
5. Midsommar
6. The Vanishing (Tourist Trap)
7. Peeping Tom (The Best Month)
8. The Haunt
9. Exorcist
10. Prince of Darkness
11. Dead Zone (All Hail the King)
12. Lawnmower Man (Hackers)
13. Don't Look Now (Dead & Buried)
14. What we do in the Shadows (Inktober)
15. Tales from the Hood (Horror Noir )
16. Exorcist III (Sometimes They Come Back)
17. The Seventh Curse (Navel Gazing)

Failed challenges:
#?. Cavalcade of Creepiness
#7. Monster Mash-up
#8 Happy Holidays!
#13 Maniac

Gonna do all the reviews tomorrow (while at work :pervert:)

E: Note for next year, try to track down The Boxer's Omen

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Nov 1, 2019

Behind Maslow
Apr 11, 2008

#25. Legend of Hell House (1973)
(Rewatch)

A mental medium, a physical medium, a physicist and his wife spend a week in the "Mount Everest" of haunted houses to prove that life exists after death.

I watch this yearly. I love me a good haunted house flick and this delivers fully. I always foind a neat aspect of it that a character points out that the house isn't entirely malicious. It's when it feels attacked that it goes on the offensive. And of course the characters attack it.

blood_dot_biz
Feb 24, 2013
:siren:
I did it! 31 new-to-me movies watched and all the challenges completed, plus I'm still gonna get in at least one more by the end of the day! A bunch of you have put my numbers to shame, but I'm still happy to have followed through, especially after only hitting 15 last year. Happy Halloween!

#31 Lake Mungo (2008)

Way different than I was expecting. For some reason, probably the poster to be honest, I thought this was going to go way harder than it did. It was actually very low-key. I dug it, but I think I need to revisit it some time when I'm in a different mood.

I do really appreciate the movie's commitment to staying grounded. Lots of times it feels like no one can resist the urge to fly off the rails, especially with found footage. That said, the creepy stuff didn't hit for me as much as I wanted it to. Maybe I'm just too desensitized at this point. I think I would've enjoyed it a lot more if I'd gone in either without genre knowledge or with the expectation that this was more of a somber ghost story than anything. Despite that, I thought the performances were great, I do think some of the footage and photographs were very well done, and I really really liked the cellphone scenario and footage near the end.

I liked this but didn't love it, and I think I owe it another watch at some point.

Watched (31/31): #1 Gozu (2003), #2 Spider Baby or, the Maddest Story Ever Told (1967), #3 Viy (1967), #4 Mondo Cane (1962), #5 Dark Water (2002), #6 Blood and Black Lace (1964), #7 Daughters of Darkness (1971), #8 Sliders of Ghost Town: Origins (2016), #9 One Cut of the Dead (2017), #10 Possum (2018), #11 EGG. (2005), #12 Adventures of Electric Rod Boy (1987), #13 House of 1000 Corpses (2003), #14 Ganja and Hess (1973), #15 Q (1982), #16 Hungry Stones (1960), #17 The Ruins (2008), #18 The Lighthouse (2019), #19 Pulgasari (1985), #20 Halloween (2018), #21 Freddy vs. Jason (2003), #22 The Phantom Carriage (1921), #23 Resident Evil (2002), #24 The Legend of the Seven Golden Vampires (1974), #25 It (2017), #26 Tales from the Hood (1995), #26b Tokyo Gore Police (2008), #27 The Oily Maniac (1976), #28 The Boxer's Omen (1983), #29 Cremator (1969), #30 Anguish (1987), #31 Lake Mungo (2008)
Challenges (13/13): #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7, #8, #9, #10, #11, #12, #13

Wet Tie Affair
May 8, 2008

P-I-Z-Z-A

It's crunch time, so some of these reviews may be a little light on content.

17. A Nightmare on Elm Street 4: The Dream Master (1988) - Rewatch (DVD)

"You shouldn't have buried me. I'm not dead." - Freddy Krueger

I'm fairly certain this was the first Nightmare movie I saw as a kid (I have a vivid memory of the beginning with the dog pissing fire).

Freddy's back, going after the survivors of the last movie and some new teens trying to stop him. This is another solid entry and has its own kickin' rad theme song.

3.5/5

18. One Cut of the Dead (2017) (Shudder)

"Pom!" - Harumi Higurashi

Like everyone recommended I went in blind.

I was ready to turn it off after about 15 minutes (I really hate anything related to zombies) but I'm glad I finished watching. It's also cool that the first segment really was one take.

3.5/5

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Just a throwing anthology to fill part of my day.

- (75). Southbound (2015)
Watched on Amazon Prime, available on Hulu

5 creepy tales of people on the road who find themselves lost in loosely connected horrific situations while being stalked by reaper-esque creatures - from many of the same creative minds from the V/H/S series and XX)

I vaguely remembered hating this anthology but its really not half bad. The stories don’t necessarily makes sense. They all kind of go out of their way to not fully explain themselves and while they all share a loose theme of the highway, “hell” and guilt you have to kind of fill in blanks if you want to get a story or moral out of them. But that’s ok because they’re all pretty decently unsettling in their own ways. I’m not sure there’s really any standouts in the bunch but I don’t think there’s a clear dud either. Everything moves fast enough to keep the lack of explanations from becoming annoying and the creature CGI and effects are solid enough to make something interesting to look at. I wish I had more to say about it but really, its not that good or interesting. The more I think about any one segment the more holes kind of pop up. Or the more I try to find a coherent thread between them the less it necessarily makes sense. But again, that’s ok, and in the end it was just a solid moody watch.

Its also unseasonably warm so a horror set during much of the day on the hot road felt appropriate despite the very un Halloween feel of it.

Ok, so time to get down to business. I did 3 big Challenges this year. 100 Years, Super Samhain, and Halloween and ended up leaving it so that I would finish all three Halloween night. First up was Super Samhain but the “guilty pleasure” challenge that was clearly supposed to be a freebie has somehow turned into a huge hassle. First I was gonna watch Bride of Boogedy, a Disney Sunday Movie from my childhood that probably isn’t that good but holds a lot of sentimental value for me as one of my first exposures to Horror. But I ended up not being able to borrow that from Hoopla. I guess Disney+ locked it down. Then I thought I’d watch Dreamcatcher because it had come up and I had started watching it yesterday and even though I know its a bad movie its super weird Stephen King movie and I love super weird Stephen King stuff. But weirdly THAT disappeared off Prime today even though I was watching it yesterday. Fate messing with me.

But then the Dreamcatcher thing and my last anthology watch made me decide I have some other guilty pleasures - Bad 90s Stephen King adaptions and Mick Garris, especially together. King we all know. He has his flaws, he’s got so much content that its inevitable there’s tons of bad and some good. But I just love the bad for some reason. I grew up on those bad 90s miniseries and reading his books. And Mick Garris is a guy I’ve always loved but I have no idea why. He hasn’t really done anything besides a personal favorite of Critters 2 and then a lot of those bad 90s King miniseries. His whole thing is failed or short run horror anthologies seemingly born off all his connections in horror and his start on Amazing Stories. Other than that its a bunch of bad King adaptions, documentaries, and anthology episodes and failed pilots. Garris is less of a Master of Horror as he is a huge fanboy who has worked his way into the inner circle with the likes of King, Carpenter, Dante, and Spielberg.

So screw it, lets watch a Garris/King 90s collaboration I haven’t seen instead of some movie I love that I have no shame about. That’s what I feel like doing and its my “guilty pleasure” as I see right now.

Franchescanado posted:

SUPER SAMHAIN CHALLENGE #13: Maniac
Thanks to M_Sinastri for this torture device

:ohdear: Watch your “guilty pleasure” horror film.

- (76). Quicksilver Highway (1997)
Watched on Youtube.

Yet another failed anthology tv pilot by Mick Garris about Aaron Quicksillver (Christopher Lloyd) a kind of goth traveling sideshow storyteller who shares his bizarre stories with people unlucky who come across him on their travels - with stories adapted from Stephen King and Clive Barker.

This is made just a couple of years after Garris’ The Stand tv adaption and it really shows to someone super familiar with the former. I swear Garris is using the same score as used in The Stand. Christopher Lloyd’s odd host character even kind of feels like he’s got some vague Randall Flagg/Man in Black inspirations, although I’m probably reaching. Maybe. Its a weird concept and character and it had to come from somewhere.

Since this is converted tv pilot we end up with just 2 extended 40+ minute “episodes” instead of the usual 4+ shorter stories. That’s not great because the King story isn’t all that great. I mean, its ok but definitely stretched out a bit. A King story stretched out too long and maybe having a bit too much? I never… There’s some ok elements of it and as a 15 minute piece I think it might have worked, but at 40 minutes it kind of wears out its welcome.

Now the Barker story was much better, and once I started watching it I realized I’ve seen this before. Its just such a nuts and crazy story. Lloyd really chews scenery more than he does in the first one. Matt Frewer is great and he gets to do some crazy stuff. Its really really great and totally worth the price of admission.

Fun, goofy, definitely flawed but in a way I love, a fun time. King, Garris, Barker. Guilty Pleasure achieved, I think. Definitely worth watching for the Frewer segment.

”Taste the freedom! Join me and be free! Escape the tyranny of the body!”

Arise! The revolution is at hand!

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Nov 1, 2019

Behind Maslow
Apr 11, 2008

#26. Cemetery Man (1994)
(Rewatch)

A groundskeeper has to deal with the dead coming back to life within 7 days of dying.

This is a wild ride from start to finish. Calling it a zombie movie is a huge mischaracterization. The zombie problem is only a small portion of this surreal nightmare. Michelle Sovai gets props for many of his flicks, but this is by far is his most bizarre. I mean that as a compliment.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

ALL HALLOWS EVE - Horror Rises from the Tomb

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRFQfnnJRHw

How do I end a month of horror? Probably with a whimper. I've been rotating through these box sets and the Cult Horror box was in the third slot. That also gave it the final day. So far the cult horror box set has been not so good. Even setting aside the cheap VHS transfers, they're not what I'd call top tier movies (in other words, exactly what you'd expect from one of those boxes that give you a bunch of movies for $5).

A witch and warlock executed in 16th century France swear vengeance upon the descendants of the people who killed him. Then in the modern days of fifty years ago, some of those descendants find out where he head was buried and decide to go dig it up. You know, for fun. Turns out a lot of dead rise from the tomb.

So this is a movie with a shitton of rough edges. And despite that, I think it was okay. What worked here is that this is a fast paced movie with a ton of things happening. I mean a ton of things. The plot switches gears about every five or six minutes. Horror Rises from the Tomb is never boring. There's zombies attacking a house, possessed people trying to kill their friends while their friends are oblivious to what's going on, demonic ceremonies, some bandits who just show up for no good reason, and more. You'd think the movie would be overstuffed, but it works by just running through everything.

This is originally a Spanish films, despite being set in France, and it has the lowest of the low budget 1970's dubs. There's so many mispronounced words that I'd swear they learned their lines phonetically. I wouldn't mind seeing this in its original language just to see if it's better without the dub.

Unfortunately, director Carlos Aured is not very interesting. He's very much a "let me just plop this camera down here and run it" kind of director. In fact, I'd say that the best visuals in the movie work on the editing rather than the visual styling.

Horror Rises from the Tomb is really not a great movie and I can't say that it's off the wall enough to be really fun, but it has a low rent charm to it. It was followed by two sequels where the warlock continues to rampage across Europe and I kind of want to see them now. Perhaps I'll keep them in mind for next year.

Wet Tie Affair
May 8, 2008

P-I-Z-Z-A

19. A Nightmare on Elm Street 5: The Dream Child (1989) - Rewatch (DVD)

"It's a boy!" - Freddy Krueger

This Freddy guy has a problem staying dead. While killing more teens he attempts to come back to life again through an unborn child.

Not much more to say, there are entertaining dream sequences and visuals again in this installment.

3.5/5

20. In the Tall Grass (2019) (Netflix Streaming) :spooky: Super Samhain Challenge #11 - All Hail the King :spooky:

Another King adaptation that is just pretty good. Patrick Wilson is the standout here, especially his speech about the rock. There are some decent ideas in this movie, they just don't hold up to scrutiny.

2.5/5

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Aw screw it. I'm done. I pledged to watch 31 movies. I watched 72 movies. 7 of them were rewatches, so that's 65 new to me movies in October

I completed all 13 Samhain Challenges

SUPER SAMHAIN CHALLENGE #1: The Best Month - Punishment Park
SUPER SAMHAIN CHALLENGE #2: Dead & Buried - The Devil's Rejects
SUPER SAMHAIN CHALLENGE #3: Horror Noire - The Midnight Meat Train
SUPER SAMHAIN CHALLENGE #4: Inktober - Bones
SUPER SAMHAIN CHALLENGE #5: Tourist Trap - Train of the Dead
SUPER SAMHAIN CHALLENGE #6: Sometimes They Come Back - Godzilla: City at the Edge of Battle
SUPER SAMHAIN CHALLENGE #7: Monster Mash-up - Godzilla: The Planet Eater
SUPER SAMHAIN CHALLENGE #8: Happy Holidays! - Red Christmas
SUPER SAMHAIN CHALLENGE #9: Hackers - Nightmare Weekend
SUPER SAMHAIN CHALLENGE #10: Navel Gazing - Haunted Ween
SUPER SAMHAIN CHALLENGE #11: All Hail The King - Children of the Corn
SUPER SAMHAIN CHALLENGE #12: Cavalcade of Creepiness - The House That Dripped Blood
SUPER SAMHAIN CHALLENGE #13: Maniac - Ichi The Killer

Out of the new to me movies, here are the ones I liked
A Quiet Place
Punishment Park
Resident Evil Vendetta
Little Shop of Horrors
The Dead Zone
Resident Evil Degeneration
Dementia 13
Silver Bullet
Occult
The Uninvited
Venom
Kwaidan
The Midnight Meat Train
Bones
Puppet Master 2
Puppet Master 3 Toulon's Revenge
Puppet Master 4
Puppet Master Axis Termination
Godzilla City on the Edge of Battle
Godzilla the Planet Eater
Legend of the Witches
The House That Dripped Blood
The Curse
Home Movie
Rubber's Lover
Cult
Stephen King's Quicksilver HIghway

That's 27 movies, or 38 percent of all new to me movies viewed. Not great

Here are the movies I'm not going to say I liked, but I don't want to be mean to them for whatever reason
Foes
The Hills Have Eyes
Graveyard Shift
Resident Evil Damnation
The Crazies
Chernobyl Diaries
Hocus Pocus
The Devil's Rejects
Puppet Master
Curse of the Puppet Master
Nightmare Weekend
Children of the Corn
The Nun
The Ghost and Mr. Chicken
Eyes in the Dark

15 movies. 21 percent of new movies.

Here's the ones I actively did not enjoy
Piranha 3D
Ouija
Species
The Hills Have Eyes 2
Silent House
The Initiation of Sarah
The Mummy
Train of the Dead
Puppet Master 5
Demonic Toys
Retro Puppet Master
Puppet Master the Legacy
Puppet Master vs Demonic Toys
Puppet Master: Axis of Evil
Puppet Master X: Axis Rising
Puppet Master The Littlest Reich
Red Christmas
Haunted Ween
Annabelle
The Predator
St. Francisville Experiment
Unaware
Death of a Ghost Hunter

23 movies, or 32 percent of all the new movies viewed

Do not doublecheck my math.

OK, movies I liked definitely has the plurality. But way too much of my viewing this month was dogshit. I've learned two things for next year.
First off, 72 movies is too many movies. I thought If I started off watching two or three a day, I would have a buffer so I could take some days off later. But instead I just kept watching two or three movies every day. And it burned me right out. I had three movies left I was planning to watch, but I just couldn't bear to think about sitting down for another movie. So, pace myself better next time.
The second thing I learned was that I need to vet these movies better. I gotta do something to avoid another Red Christmas situation. Maybe I'll sign up for that pen pal thing you guys were talking about.

But overall this was a positive month. You gotta take the good with the bad, and while the bad could be pretty loving bad, the good was pretty fantastic. Discovering Koji Shiraishi by itself made it all worth it. Occult is my new favorite horror movie, and honestly it's deffo in my top ten favorite movies of all genres. And even though I didn't put it in the movies I liked, because it is boring as sin, Foes is gonna stick with me. That was a really unique weird little thing.

And most importantly, I now have strong opinions on the Puppet Master franchise. My local comic shop is having a sale this weekend, and as much as I hate to say I will be checking to see if they have any of the Puppet Master comics.

So yeah, good times, Puppet Master may have broken my brain, and I'll be back for next year!

Shankel Magnus
Jul 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

17. Ginger Snaps

Ah yes, the age old question of puberty or werewolves. With the title and the box art, it could be easy to mistake this for a PG-13 teen “horror” movie in the same vein as Twilight. Thankfully, I decided to check it out based on a recommendation earlier in the thread.

It sort of reminded me of The Lost Boys. A character is slowly seduced by the powers associated with becoming a supernatural creature, mixed with the horrific realization of the monster she becomes. Along with that, there was a lot more gore in this movie then I was expecting. I enjoyed the relationship between Brigette and Ginger and how they had an “us against everyone else” mentality. I’ve definitely known my fair share of girls who fit into this same angsty mold. At parts, I couldn’t help but think of the goth kids from South Park. It even includes a “get out of my room, Mom” scene.

Russian Guyovitch
Apr 22, 2008

Some little mice sat in the barn to spin. Pussy came by and popped her head in. What are you doing my little men?

Russian Guyovitch posted:

1. Dude Bro Party Massacre III
2. One Cut of the Dead
3. Hereditary
4. SUPER SAMHAIN CHALLENGE #1:THE BEST MONTH - VIY
5. The Ranger
6. Phantom of the Paradise
7. The Perfection
8. SUPER SAMHAIN CHALLENGE #3: HORROR NOIRE - THE FIRST PURGE
9. Body Bags
10. SUPER SAMHAIN CHALLENGE #2: DEAD AND BURIED - NEW YEAR'S EVIL
11. Child's Play (1988)
12. Dethgasm
13. The Ruins
14. Forbidden World
15. Howling III: The Marsupials
16. In the Tall Grass
17. Errementari: The Blacksmith and the Devil
18. Happy Death Day 2U
19. Cast A Deadly Spell
20. SUPER SAMHAIN CHALLENGE #5: TOURIST TRAP - ANGST
21. SUPER SAMHAIN CHALLENGE #7: MONSTER MASHUP - TRANSYLVANIA 6-5000
22. SUPER SAMHAIN CHALLENGE #6: SOMETIMES THEY COME BACK: THE HAUNTING (1999)
23. SUPER SAMHAIN CHALLENGE #8: HAPPY HOLIDAYS - MY BLOODY VALENTINE
24. SUPER SAMHAIN CHALLENGE #12: CAVALCADE OF CREEPINESS - THE MONSTER CLUB
25. SUPER SAMHAIN CHALLENGE #10: NAVEL GAZING - THE SEVENTH CURSE
26. The Amityville Horror (1979)
*Bonus Film* SUPER SAMHAIN CHALLENGE #13: MANIAC - THIRTEEN GHOSTS (2001)
27. Prison
28. Hello Mary Lou: Prom Night 2

29. SUPER SAMHAIN CHALLENGE #4: INKTOBER - SUSPIRIA (2018) - I'd heard mixed reviews on this one, with some absolutely loving it, while others felt that it strayed too far from Argento's original. Personally, I fall in the camp of loving it. The muted color palette of cold war era West Berlin made for a great contrast when Sarah starts exploring the hidden areas of the school and discovers all of the various bizarre pieces of art kept by the coven, which all incorporated the pinks and purples of the lighting and set design of the original. I also felt like the remake made better use of its setting to add more emotional weight to the story being told and to also give more context to the motivations of the coven. As the month winds down, I have to say that I think that this might have been my favorite film of this year's challenge.

30. SUPER SAMHAIN CHALLENGE #9: HACKERS - A.M.I. - A young woman gets a new phone that allows her to customize the a.i. voice assistant's voice, and she manages to make it sound just like her recently deceased mother, who was killed in a car accident while the protagonist was driving. This leads to the a.i. researching information about mothers and the role of motherhood, turning it into an overprotective and manipulative devil on her shoulder that guides her to kill the people in her life who are disloyal to her. Clocking in at just over an hour and fifteen minutes, this feels less like an originally produced film and more like an episode of Black Mirror that didn't make the cut, but Netflix decided to throw the producers a bone and put it up to stream anyway. There are definitely better ways to kill an hour of your day.

31. SUPER SAMHAIN CHALLENGE #11: HAIL TO THE KING - CARRIE (1976) - I had been planning to finally watch this one before the challenge started, so I'm glad I didn't rush it and watch it before this challenge was posted. While I'd never actually watched this, it's fairly difficult to be a fan of horror films and not have at least some level of knowledge of the plot beats of the film: Carrie is teased at school, Carrie goes to the prom, gets drenched in blood, then develops psychic powers and goes on a rampage. Having now finally seen the film, there are several things that struck me in how those beats are all put together.

For starters, I had always assumed that the telekenisis didn't really start fully manifesting until the prom scene, with maybe some hints here and there, but instead Carrie is aware of and has fairly decent control over her powers. Also, while I knew the basic plot beats, I always kind of assumed that there was a little more to the movie, but it felt sort of empty. The movie jumps from Carrie being humiliated by her classmates, to getting invited to prom, to going on her rampage in short order, and very little time is spent on any real character development so all of these plot points felt fairly disjointed to me. While the direction is great and Sissy Spacek is fantastic, I guess by the time I finished I was a little confused as to how this film wound up having such a prominent place in American pop culture. I should probably check out the novel one of these days, because I feel like there's just a lot missing from this film that keeps the characters from really being brought to life.

And with that, I've finished my personal challenge of 31 first time viewings and all of the Fran challenges as well, and unlike last year I've actually managed to get my write-ups in on time, despite life doing its best to prevent that. All in all, this is always my favorite undertaking of the year, even if trying to fill the Fran challenges with what I've got available to stream leads to the occasional clunker (I'm looking at you Transylvania 6-5000!). I can't wait to see what challenges get thrown at us next year. Thanks for organizing this, Fran!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shankel Magnus
Jul 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

18. The VVitch – More proof that Puritans and having a vagina don’t mix. Beautiful looking movie and I really appreciated how the characters all started out “good” or at least well intentioned. After a series of unfortunate events and slowly they start a witch hunt without even really realizing it. Well intentioned people are trying to weed out evil in the name of a greater good. Innocent people get caught in the crossfire. People are forced to do extraordinary things to prove their faith and loyalty. If anyone dares to raise their voice to call for moderation, or to reconsider the groups actions then they are labeled as evil as well. There are parallels to the events in this story even today.

One last thought: So nowadays, instead of asking someone to sign a book does the devil ask you to like, link, and subscribe? #hailsatanlol