Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I want that GM Sniper II/RX-79(G) mashup.

E: because it was a reverse snipe:

Gripweed posted:

And a wave of P-Bandai releases

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

Gripweed posted:

Trailer for the glasses case

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ine3pb1jlEM

400 bucks

Can't see how you'll ever lose your glasses again though. Can't put a price on that.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth
Ooh, is that a new Efreet? I hope that one becomes available from Bluefin.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Finished my ZZ Ver.Ka. I'm pleasantly surprised: for being a build with a complex transformation gimmick, it's sturdier than I would have thought.

I want a Nu Ver.Ka now.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

iospace posted:

Finished my ZZ Ver.Ka. I'm pleasantly surprised: for being a build with a complex transformation gimmick, it's sturdier than I would have thought.

I want a Nu Ver.Ka now.

:hfive: fellow ZZ ver. ka builder! The transformation isn't very fun, is it?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Droyer posted:

:hfive: fellow ZZ ver. ka builder! The transformation isn't very fun, is it?

The v-fin drives me nuts, but beyond that it's great

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky
This weekend, I built one of my favorite suits, and decided that a good HG is a great way to spend the day. Work in progress thread: https://twitter.com/Gen_Ironicus/status/1184264791159902208

Finished pics start here: https://twitter.com/Gen_Ironicus/status/1188498197804716032
https://twitter.com/Gen_Ironicus/status/1188543825242927106

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Ok, so question: I'm going to be building the RG Nu Gundam, and I want to panel line wash everything. So, the question is:

If I apply sufficient amount of lacquer clear coat to the underframe, would it be safe to put a wash on? Or should I not bother and use a marker?

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

loled at this

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Paper Kaiju posted:

Ooh, is that a new Efreet? I hope that one becomes available from Bluefin.

It's the Doug Schneid Efreet from Missing Link. Which is somehow not the Efreet Schneid.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

RillAkBea posted:

It's the Doug Schneid Efreet from Missing Link. Which is somehow not the Efreet Schneid.

Weird, but as long as we get more Efreets I don't care.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

iospace posted:

Ok, so question: I'm going to be building the RG Nu Gundam, and I want to panel line wash everything. So, the question is:

If I apply sufficient amount of lacquer clear coat to the underframe, would it be safe to put a wash on? Or should I not bother and use a marker?

I would advise testing out laquer on the runner that the frame pieces come off first. Laquer can cause bare plastic to crumble.

But you definitely want some top coat on, cause clean up of enamel wash also eats bare plastic.

Puddin fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Oct 30, 2019

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Puddin posted:

I would advise testing out laquer on the runner that the frame pieces come off first. Laquer can cause bare plastic to crumble.

But you definitely want some top coat on, cause clean up of enamel wash also eats bare plastic.

Alright. I didn't seem to have problems with clear coating an HGUC RX-78NT-1, but I'm guessing different models can have different results for plastic comp?

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

Lacquer clear coat should be fine as long as you're not slathering it on. The Tamiya & Mr. Hobby primers/surfacers are lacquer based after all.

Enamel thinner can cause bare plastic to become brittle and crumble if you leave it on too long. However, it's important to note that "too long" = "a remarkably short amount of time".
For this reason it's recommended not to use enamel washes on an assembled kit even if painted as the same process which draws the wash into the panel lines will draw it into the seams between the parts where it will work its evil magic (ask me how I know this).

You can get pretty good results with the fine tip panel line markers and an eraser if the above seems like too much hassle. This is generally what I've been doing on my RGs since the small size and good colour separation means that you can get a very good result with just water slides, panel lining and clear coat.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Alright. I love the RX-93 and want to sort of go all out on this kit (not going to do a paint job on it though, mind you).

Seriously, I think it's the funnel "curtain" on the back that takes it from "relatively plain" to "epic badass"

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

iospace posted:

Alright. I didn't seem to have problems with clear coating an HGUC RX-78NT-1, but I'm guessing different models can have different results for plastic comp?

Different plastics react differently to differ t solvents. I can't remember them off the top of my head but I think it's polystyrene you have to look out for. The runners should say what their composition is on the tag.

PS for Polystyrene.
PP for Polypropylene.
ABS for Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene.

Generally the softer the material, the more it could react.

Like Bill Posters said you can use it as long as you go light and let it dry, which with painting is the way to go anyway.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Yeah, I find it much easier to wash the feet as opposed to marker.

Then I remembered that it's a super dark blue in which it doesn't show up at all on.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
https://twitter.com/M9mii13zH/status/1188814590223642624?s=19

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
Went to Gundam Base yesterday, bought too much stuff yet again.

Man all the F90 P-Bandai stuff looks so loving awesome in person. Wish they had a regular release.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

It's good when Mobile Suits have fist things

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib

Puddin posted:

Man all the F90 P-Bandai stuff looks so loving awesome in person. Wish they had a regular release.

Okay yeah, that looks pretty awesome

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
The HIRM God gundam also looks so goddamn good, going to check out bic/yodobashi on its prices.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Marx Headroom posted:

Oh gently caress, that is :krad:

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

I had a little bonus at work so I decided to buy my first ever Perfect Grade. I wanted something fairly classic with all the PG gimmicks so I went for Gundam Mk. II (AEUG) haven't had a chance to open it up yet but the box at least is pleasingly heavy.

Also I went to pre-order Hyzanthley Rah, because it looks freaking amazing and the first wave is already sold out. drat that was quick.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
The only problem with the F90s is the expansion packs are extremely sticker heavy

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Marx Headroom posted:

I know I've seen another Gundam with those flip out fist-blades, but for the life of me I can't remember what it was and it's driving me nuts now :bang:. I think it was a Build kit, maybe?

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I know I've seen another Gundam with those flip out fist-blades, but for the life of me I can't remember what it was and it's driving me nuts now :bang:. I think it was a Build kit, maybe?

Red Beret Grimoire has fold out knee claws.

There's a heap of others that have fold out appendices. Like The-O's crotch arms.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Crossbone has the beam knuckles where the beam makes a cross

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The Crossbone had them

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009
Scheruzum Gallas (sp?) has regular knuckles and the Seravee has hands in the beam cannons that pull out beam sabers.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Yawgmoft posted:

The only problem with the F90s is the expansion packs are extremely sticker heavy

So far at least. I mean I don't honestly expect M&F to be much better than round 1, but I can at least hope :ohdear:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Phy posted:

Crossbone has the beam knuckles where the beam makes a cross

Yeah, it's totally the Crossbone I was thinking of :doh:. Thank you.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
The Hyakuri from IBO also has punch-shields as its main melee weapons.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Were they selling the F90 at Gundam Base?

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
Nope, just a stand showing like 20 kits you can't buy in person.

It was torture.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Azubah posted:

Were they selling the F90 at Gundam Base?

I wouldn't think so. They just display a lot of upcoming releases PB or not.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib

Darth Walrus posted:

The Hyakuri from IBO also has punch-shields as its main melee weapons.

Yeah it rules

Now I'm super thirsty for a proper Gundam Maxter kit

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I hate it

https://twitter.com/HobbySite/status/1189815606855389185?s=20

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
It's a G-Self with a moustache, claw feet and laser beam toes, what's not yo love about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queadlunn
Dec 10, 2005

Yak Deculture!
Fallen Rib

I managed to find a bunch of the Advance of Zeta kits in Taipei on a trip! Gonna start putting stuff together tomorrow.