Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Caught between two worlds...

Sham bam bamina! posted:

For you drudges hard of memory:
i've found the love that was always waiting in my heart

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

wonderful personal growth. glad to see it.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Sham bam bamina! posted:

For you drudges hard of memory:

way better writing than Rothuss in this post

the LOTR series will be successful because there are legions of LOTR fans who will love it. including the many many people who are exclusively Jackson movie fans, the ones who still make "poh-ta-toes" jokes when they see potatoes.

unless they really really gently caress it up which is possible

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

my bony fealty posted:

way better writing than Rothuss in this post

the LOTR series will be successful because there are legions of LOTR fans who will love it. including the many many people who are exclusively Jackson movie fans, the ones who still make "poh-ta-toes" jokes when they see potatoes.

unless they really really gently caress it up which is possible

I gotta wonder how much The Hobbit films poisoned that well.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

i would be all in on a silmarillion series that really kicked at the walls and played around in the space but if i see *one legolas* i'm out

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Legolas was born early on in the 3rd age so as long as they stick to stuff like the fall of Gondolin or Numenor we're safe from him.

They'd almost certainly try to show Galadriel though. Especially if they covered the kinslaying.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Evil Fluffy posted:

Legolas was born early on in the 3rd age so as long as they stick to stuff like the fall of Gondolin or Numenor we're safe from him.

They'd almost certainly try to show Galadriel though. Especially if they covered the kinslaying.

That wouldn't be a big problem. She was one of the oldest elves in Middle Earth. If the series focuses on Numenor, it wouldn't cover the things where Galadriel was the most involved in (Feanor's creation of the Silmarils, the Kinslaying, Elu Thingol closing his realm to most of the Noldor, overthrowing the Witch King, etc.), but I personally wouldn't mind a cameo.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

galadriel loving owns though

galadriel/elrond/saruman vs ringwraiths was the only scene out of the whole hobbit trilogy i still think about positively

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

what was the kinslaying, i never got into lotr lore but deeply admired galadriel blanchett as a child, did she kill anybody

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
This is the best adaptation of The Silmarillion we're going to get:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pG3u2TEdENQ

Pacho
Jun 9, 2010

fauna posted:

what was the kinslaying, i never got into lotr lore but deeply admired galadriel blanchett as a child, did she kill anybody

It's the Cain vs Abel "original murder" for the elves. Big Bad Morgoth stole the Silmarils and fled to Middle Earth. Feanor's people (including Galadriel) wanted to chase him but the Sea Elves didn't want to give them their boats so they just murdered them and took them by force

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

they murdered the loving sea elves! drat

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

i ran over a sea elf once. i felt so bad

Apparatchik Magnet
Sep 25, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

fauna posted:

i ran over a sea elf once. i felt so bad

He should have moved out of the swim lane.

Nerdburger_Jansen
Jan 1, 2019

Torrannor posted:

LOTR has a lot of material to be mined for more stories. The Silmarillion alone probably has enough content to make a dozen films or a lot of series. And there are a lot of Tolkien fans out there, or even just fans who enjoyed the LOTR and The Hobbit films. And one positive aspect of the Silmarillion is that it's basically just a summary of all the poo poo that happened, showrunners would have a lot of freedom how they want to tell those stories. I think they're going with Numenor IIRC, and all that the Silmarillion had to say about it was basically "it was founded by one of the two half-elves, was a bastion of the forces of good, until Sauron came and corrupted them, then the Valar sank the island, and the last pure Numenorans founded Gondor (and Arnor)".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83etthnOEUk

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

i'm a sea jew

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Seeing Rothfuss' writing being vigorously defended on Reddit reminded me of this thread and how I missed it.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

I'm confused, what defense are these people making other than "well I like it?"

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

I'm confused, what defense are these people making other than "well I like it?"

quote:

Wise Man's Fear is such an unfortunate sequel to Name of the Wind. When I recommend Rothfuss, I say to keep to the first book because I believe that he really lost touch with what made Kvothe such a special character. Wise Man's Fear has him go his arrogant but yet understandible position as a hero to swordmaster (whose sparring teacher offers to bang him multiple times because of course) to sex god because he gets stuck in a time dilation with the Rothfuss equivalent of Aphrodite. To those of you interested in this series, please don't let what you see here keep you from reading Name of the Wind. It is a fantastic book in its own right and a staple in the genre for a reason.

quote:

You just don't understand love or music if you don't like him. Totally valid though.

quote:

This is ironically an example of one of the best "menwritingwomen" of our time. Don't take quotes out of context, that was a beautiful scene.

quote:

well, this is completely taken ou of context though. Rothfuss is actually great at character development and the female characters are really well written.
The context is that the protagonist got "poisoned" by his rival so he´d fail some kind of "tribunal exam". The poison made him him feel no sense of social boundaries.

I don't want to c&p anymore, my time wasted on Reddit as a white noise machine is bad enough as it is.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

...are you sure that second isn't sarcasm?

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

...are you sure that second isn't sarcasm?

It is actually, I mixed up the usernames in a comment tree.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I love the "you don't understand music" stuff because it's the one thing that I can get my friends that like him to admit is stupid. They're all musicians, so pointing out how silly it is was actually really easy.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Solice Kirsk posted:

I love the "you don't understand music" stuff because it's the one thing that I can get my friends that like him to admit is stupid. They're all musicians, so pointing out how silly it is was actually really easy.

I’m pretty sure it’s always people who know nothing about music that say he’s great at writing about music. It’s like Dan Brown (or Rothfuss really) writing about smart people. They just have 0 experience of it.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

In response to posting Rothfuss' Madonna/Whore "The Hobbit" screed posted:

Wow, this is an amazing passage. I was captivated and had no idea where you were going with it. I'm still unsure on your stance, because I loved the analogy but your tone seems possibly sarcastic in the end?
In response to the added info:
Felurian says lovely things like that to Kvothe not because he's a great lover, but because she is. Flattering each other in kind ways can be a subtle part of intimacy. Raw truth could ruin the illusion two lovers build for each other and for themselves.
The reproduction issue with the Adem is both infuriating and funny. It's a very unlikely yet still plausible result of the open sex culture he designed. It's incongruous with the well structured world, and I believe something is hidden there because of that. Other than the obvious message that people may be very well educated in some areas but not in others.
And the kidnapping, rape, and robbery were the reasons Kvothe killed those impersonators... His anger at the further defamation of his people was the emotion focused on in the scene, but he would never just go murder people for that. At least he hasn't before.
Also remember that this is a tradgedy, not a heroic story. Kvothe lives on to somehow become a near world ruining villain. His Folly destroys those he loves, seals his sympathy (and maybe everyone's), and releases fae into the mortal world.
Thinking about how that may happen keeps wonder in my life and adds anticipation for another book. If Rothfuss never writes again, I'll finish the story for myself. I'm thinking Kvothe actually loves Ari, and Denna is a slight of hand distraction, but we'll see. It breaks my heart though, that I can't write like he does. There's a rythm to it, a cadance I've never found in other words.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
A link or two would be appreciated.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Sham bam bamina! posted:

A link or two would be appreciated.

Here ya go Sham Bam, the last C&P is from somewhere in here

https://www.reddit.com/r/menwritingwomen/comments/e007p2/ah_yes_the_words_that_every_female_friend_loves/

Don't have the other threads accessible (I make and delete accounts if I ever feel like engaging with Reddit) but basically if Rothfuss' shows up on Reddit expect a lot of fawning.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

quote:

Wow dude you read things with a really bad tone. Out of curiosity, what kind of things DO you like?
:yeshaha:

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

pseudanonymous posted:

I’m pretty sure it’s always people who know nothing about music that say he’s great at writing about music. It’s like Dan Brown (or Rothfuss really) writing about smart people. They just have 0 experience of it.

It's really something how little Rothfuss knows about music despite making it literally the supposed centerpiece of the protagonist's character.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Aw man didn't see he responded before I scrapped the account. Shame I didn't read that Hobbit blog post in the proper light I guess.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

pseudanonymous posted:

This approach works for the GOP and its base of idiots. No reason these kinds of people wouldn’t exist in literature communities.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

the venn diagram of Young Republicans and Rothfuss fans is a circle

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Kchama posted:

It's really something how little Rothfuss knows about music despite making it literally the supposed centerpiece of the protagonist's character.

What's there to get? It's just like sex. All you gotta do is beat a DC20 check modified by your DEX and CHA bonuses

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

They love the self made man ideology...

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

a chord that said sad

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

Kchama posted:

This is not entirely true, my dad is the person who recommended the novels to me. Admittedly he did not then go on about the music being well written in particular, but he is a semi professional musician who actually gets paid to play the lute and he was at the very least not sufficiently offended by the music bits to be turned off the books.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Probably not a large number of fantasy novels available that focus on a lute virtuoso as the main character. Your dad may just have been tickled by the novelty of it.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
Rothfuss's way of writing about music isn't overtly bad but it is overtly baffling. It's another victim of his over wrought prose and the deeper he tries to go into it the more apparent it becomes that he's never picked up an instrument and has never been moved by playing an instrument.

However his description does make more sense when you realize that his interaction with music is solely as a consumor. Imagine Kovtje's reaction coming from losing his iPod - he no longer has access to his music, he can't take listening to music anymore from others because it reminds him too much of losing the iPod which was a valuable gift from his dead parents. Then it makes a lot more sense.

I think a musician would accept Rothfuss's ham fisted foolishness if they read the books purely on a surface level and don't stop to go "wait what?" at certain passages.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

HIJK posted:

I think a musician would accept Rothfuss's ham fisted foolishness if they read the books purely on a surface level and don't stop to go "wait what?" at certain passages.
That seems to be the trick to enjoying Rothfuss generally.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Just let the torrent of words ease over your glazed eyes...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Just shut off your brain completely and you'll enjoy the books..?