Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

bewilderment posted:

My group of people just starting playing this as Mindthief (me), Brute, Scoundrel and Spellweaver!

And we did pretty well in our first scenario and won, and I felt pretty confident we followed all the rules with the help of the app!

... Until I realised I hadn't been using monster modifiers at all. :negative:

I'll call it a wash; it means all the Muddled we applied and any disadvantage on the archers wasn't worth anything so we still deserved the win.

Yeah for every bad outcome like a crit hit or +2, there's an equal and opposite better outcome like miss or -2, so it probably all balances. Although this begs the question: what did you think muddle did?

Also it's probably still worth it to take a second read through the rules to make sure there wasn't other stuff you missed. It took us awhile to figure out we had made mistakes, although they were also fairly minor (not healing Wounds correctly, and awarding disadvantaged people with their rolling modifiers).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Don't worry you probably got more than just that wrong

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Guy A. Person posted:

Yeah for every bad outcome like a crit hit or +2, there's an equal and opposite better outcome like miss or -2, so it probably all balances. Although this begs the question: what did you think muddle did?

I thought that the app automatically factored monster modifiers in when you hit Draw and just figured that one modifier applied to each monster. We did get confused on how Disadvantage got applied but figured we should just play on for now.

We also didn't do a first road event, but other than that I think we mostly followed the rules. Room 3 archers might have moved slightly weirdly, and we did have one or card play take-backs at a new initiative after realising a card didn't work how we thought it did.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Did you figure out the Focus rules? That third room in the first scenario is a great test-case for them since it's very easy to wind up with a traffic jam, and that tests whether you understand AI focus and movement: if a monster isn't able to trace a path to a hex from which it could attack something, even with infinite movement, then it can't find a focus, so it simply doesn't move. In our first playthrough we just kept crowding monsters toward the door regardless

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

QuarkJets posted:

Did you figure out the Focus rules? That third room in the first scenario is a great test-case for them since it's very easy to wind up with a traffic jam, and that tests whether you understand AI focus and movement: if a monster isn't able to trace a path to a hex from which it could attack something, even with infinite movement, then it can't find a focus, so it simply doesn't move. In our first playthrough we just kept crowding monsters toward the door regardless

Yeah, I knew that was a thing so I tried to follow them but I think I messed up slightly in that even when archers were in range, I had them move closer than they needed to; I didn't realise they just stopped once they were sufficiently in range.
It didn't affect the scenario too much - one round at most and then thanks to some well-timed jumps some characterised managed to bypass the traffic jam and I grabbed the loot chest.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

bewilderment posted:

Yeah, I knew that was a thing so I tried to follow them but I think I messed up slightly in that even when archers were in range, I had them move closer than they needed to; I didn't realise they just stopped once they were sufficiently in range.
It didn't affect the scenario too much - one round at most and then thanks to some well-timed jumps some characterised managed to bypass the traffic jam and I grabbed the loot chest.

Nice

Another neat gotcha: ranged attacks are disadvantaged against targets adjacent to the attacker, so the AI will normally try to move away from their targets so as to lose disadvantage, nominally just moving back a space. But if they can't lose disadvantage, because they're muddled or they simply can't move far enough to increase distance between themselves and their focus, then they won't move at all

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

My first impressions on Music Note! For context I played with a team of Circles and Brute. and I'm level 4. Honestly, it was more cumbersome than I thought it was going to be. I brought a bunch of songs, because I thought I would switch them out a lot. But the Shield 1 Song was SO good, I had no reason to switch. So I often had a bunch of turns where I would use the bottom of one card, and then basically do nothing for the top because that would switch my song. I think need to take less songs, at the very least the +1 Attack song doesn't seem worth it. And I REALLY need more top actions honestly. I also thought the Disarm and the Curse Enemies/Bless Allies card would be more useful than they way. Don't get me wrong, they WERE very useful, but I often found myself pretty far behind my allies and the current enemies so the range of my stuff couldn't quite hit who I wanted. It WAS cool blessing bunch of summons and giving Circles a ton of bless cards. Overall, I'm still excited but I think maybe I'm doing it wrong. Any tips?

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
So after months of trying to get a group together, I've just said "screw it" and am going to try to play solo.

What would be a good starting three-character team for solo play? Cragheart/Brute/Spellweaver?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

CobiWann posted:

So after months of trying to get a group together, I've just said "screw it" and am going to try to play solo.

What would be a good starting three-character team for solo play? Cragheart/Brute/Spellweaver?
That is a really good team, yep.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

My first impressions on Music Note! For context I played with a team of Circles and Brute. and I'm level 4. Honestly, it was more cumbersome than I thought it was going to be. I brought a bunch of songs, because I thought I would switch them out a lot. But the Shield 1 Song was SO good, I had no reason to switch. So I often had a bunch of turns where I would use the bottom of one card, and then basically do nothing for the top because that would switch my song. I think need to take less songs, at the very least the +1 Attack song doesn't seem worth it. And I REALLY need more top actions honestly. I also thought the Disarm and the Curse Enemies/Bless Allies card would be more useful than they way. Don't get me wrong, they WERE very useful, but I often found myself pretty far behind my allies and the current enemies so the range of my stuff couldn't quite hit who I wanted. It WAS cool blessing bunch of summons and giving Circles a ton of bless cards. Overall, I'm still excited but I think maybe I'm doing it wrong. Any tips?

Wait until you see the solo scenario reward.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Tell me about the solo scenarios. That the 22lb game gets plopped down at someones house makes it awkward for individual players to go solo or am I missing something

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
Practicalities are going to vary between groups, naturally. If you don't want to move the game around people who want to play their solo scenarios without it can always use Tabletop Simulator or something.

Alternatively the set of things you'll need for any given solo scenario is going to be tiny so if the game owner approves you could just toss them in a small box and take it away with you.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

CommonShore posted:

Tell me about the solo scenarios. That the 22lb game gets plopped down at someones house makes it awkward for individual players to go solo or am I missing something
Yeah, I have been the only one who's played them in my home group despite a standing offer to let people take the box home with them. :)

It does get awkward, yeah.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

NRVNQSR posted:

Practicalities are going to vary between groups, naturally. If you don't want to move the game around people who want to play their solo scenarios without it can always use Tabletop Simulator or something.

Alternatively the set of things you'll need for any given solo scenario is going to be tiny so if the game owner approves you could just toss them in a small box and take it away with you.

Ah TTS is a good idea. Is gloomhaven free on there?

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

CommonShore posted:

Like almost every game there are unlicensed free versions in the Steam Workshop. They're a bit fiddly, but usable.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

CommonShore posted:

The best one is called Gloomhaven Fantasy Setup. It has a lot of automation but there's no tutorial for it so check YouTube for that.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

CobiWann posted:

our starting setup that worked very well was spellweaver/cragheart/mindthief

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga

You should be picking up your songs whenever you rest, so you don't shortchange yourself. You can replay it again the turn after if need be. Cursing and disarming is incredibly good, so that should be the main other thing you do. There are other good songs, but a lot of them are situational - you're probably just going to toggle through one or two most of the time.
Your modifier deck is amazing, but you'll never use it.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

NRVNQSR posted:

Like almost every game there are unlicensed free versions in the Steam Workshop. They're a bit fiddly, but usable.

In this case everything is actually sanctioned by Isaac. THe has released all the digital content for the game on BGG and even released some introductory scenarios before the game launch on TTS himself.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

My first impressions on Music Note!

The attack song is often far better than the shield song if your group is playing aggressively. Dead monsters do no damage. This is especially true because of the raw amount of curses you can put into the monster deck, towards the end of a fight monsters will be missing constantly. Now, if you are heading into a room and think that you're going to be hit a ton, or maybe have a dedicated tank that already has a ton of shield that can take the attacks, the shield song CAN be useful. But the songs can easily be swapped between, so you want to take advantage of that. Something like the movespeed+range song can be a huge boon on certain scenarios.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

I don't remember what level it is, but The song that give monsters Disadvantage is by far the best, because it's the only one that affects you and you get a ton of value out of those curses you can stuff the deck with.

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Before I do anything, I think, well what hasn't been seen. Sometimes, that turns out to be something ghastly and not fit for society. And sometimes that inspiration becomes something that's really worthwhile.
It's level 4. Both halves of that card are fantastic.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

So for Music Note, you would say you should switch songs a lot? That does make sense, if you're just keeping one up then a lot of tops of the cards you have can't do anything which is what I ran into. And yeah, that level 4 card is great. It looks like you're supposed to use the bottom a few times to stack the monster deck with curses, then use the top to give them disadvantage and draw them all, then repeat. I think the issue I fell into was for the scenario we did the monsters happened to be a bit too far away so I could never hit a good clump of them. I think on different scenarios this card will be much more useful. I also wanted to try going into rooms first and use my ranged disarm on a couple of enemies, but often I found myself lagging behind my friends so I couldn't really do that.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Music Note's Solo Scenario reward is worth looking at by the way, unless you are doing the damage build.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I looked at triforce's solo reward and :confused: The only way I can move 5 hexes in a turn with my current hand is by using my boots!

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

CommonShore posted:

I looked at triforce's solo reward and :confused: The only way I can move 5 hexes in a turn with my current hand is by using my boots!

That’s not entirely true: you have several moves that consume an element for 5+ movement. So effectively you’re trading a specific element to generate any element, as well as giving yourself the excuse to use your big movement cards and gain extra mobility.

But yea it is still one of the weaker solo scenario items by far. I understand the intent but it’s hard to justify on a class that already requires you to set up and stall for big payoff.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
You can also enhance the bottom of your level 2 card.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

CommonShore posted:

Oh it's simple! You just use your boots of striding and ... um ... wait a second ...

Yeah it's really weird. My advice is to either sell them, or enhance at least one of those Move 4's you got with +1 Moves if you want to use them.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Doctor Spaceman posted:

You can also enhance the bottom of your level 2 card.

But then I'm not using the top!

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

CommonShore posted:

But then I'm not using the top!
Yeah but in the long run, the bottoms of those cards are really good for you and will end up seeing more use because you are a slow rock person without many good moves. And this goes double if you're using the solo scenario reward.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

dwarf74 posted:

Yeah but in the long run, the bottoms of those cards are really good for you and will end up seeing more use because you are a slow rock person without many good moves. And this goes double if you're using the solo scenario reward.

Yeah, at high levels the top stops being quite as useful as you gain other ways to generate elements, while a move 5 is huge for this otherwise slow class. This all depends on what prosperity level and random items you've unlocked as well tho

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
We beat 51 last night. That was hectic. On to Forgotten Circles!

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

dwarf74 posted:

Yeah, I have been the only one who's played them in my home group despite a standing offer to let people take the box home with them. :)

It does get awkward, yeah.

In our three-person group we'll save solo scenarios for when one person can't attend. Whoever isn't playing runs the monsters and advises.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Narsham posted:

In our three-person group we'll save solo scenarios for when one person can't attend. Whoever isn't playing runs the monsters and advises.
We have a 4-person group and always have 3+, with occasional guests playing a non-retired Scoundrel to push it back to 4.

So yeah, it doesn't work out.

Oh wait! Our Brute player played his solo scenario, that's right. My Sun kinda wanted his reward item.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

How difficult would you say is Music Notes solo scenario? What level should you be before trying it?

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

How difficult would you say is Music Notes solo scenario? What level should you be before trying it?

I did it first try but I had some good RNG and accidentally picked all the right cards. Hint: pick all cards that say "all allies" on them.

It's not considered one of the hard ones.

I would say level 6 is ideal.

Elephant Ambush fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Nov 5, 2019

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Man, Gloomhaven Youtube is a vast wasteland of horrible rules mistakes, and it angers me each and every time.

The doofuses I'm watching are handling ooze 'splitting' wrong and steamrolling tough scenarios. (You see it's a split, so after the original ooze takes damage of course the new one would have half the originals, despite never saying that on the action card.)

They are also manually directing Summons.

Urgh.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

dwarf74 posted:

Youtube is a vast wasteland

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
Tell me if this correct:

Me: Attack 5, Pierce 2
Enemy: Shield 3
Result: Enemy takes 4 damage. Two is piercing armor and then two makes it past the remaining 1 shield.

Me: Attack 3, Pierce 2
Enemy: Shield 4
Result: Enemy takes 2 damage. Two is piercing armor and the rest is blocked by remaining shield.

poemdexter fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Nov 5, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

poemdexter posted:

Tell me if this correct:

Me: Attack 5, Pierce 2
Enemy: Shield 3
Result: Enemy takes 4 damage. Two is piercing armor and then two makes it past the remaining 1 shield.

correct but worded badly, which I'll explain with the next one:

quote:

Me: Attack 3, Pierce 2
Enemy: Shield 4
Result: Enemy takes 2 damage. Two is piercing armor and the rest is blocked by remaining shield.

incorrect

Pierce reduces the enemy's shield value, it doesn't provide guaranteed damage through shield. In this cause the Pierce 2 reduced the "Shield 4" to "Shield 2" and the Attack 3 lets one damage through.