Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!
My pepper harvest was bountiful, now what the hell do I do with all of these, especially the unripe ones? I have chocolate habanero, peach scorpion, Carolina reaper, cherry pepper, ufo pepper, Brazilian starfish, and Bishop's crown. I'm thinking of making a jelly or two and trying my hand at pickling, what else should I make? Not shown are a bunch of unripe Bishop's crown and Brazilian starfish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
I made my own horseradish sauce for the first time from one of the plants I grew this year. The roots were actually pretty easy to get up and had thickened considerably compared to when I pulled one a month or two ago. I got two cups of shredded material from one even with a lot of cut off cleaning it. I followed a recipe online that said to wait a while to add the vinegar as this will make it stronger, anyone know how long I can wait to really max it out? Next time I'll definitely be using a microplane to get it more fine; I got it pretty small this time using a mandolin with a shredding/cutting attachment and then food processor but it still isn't as smooth as I'd like. I'm super excited to keep messing with this, very promising first try. Any tips are greatly appreciated I want to really feel it. I'm also pulling my wasabi soon :getin:

Tremors posted:

My pepper harvest was bountiful, now what the hell do I do with all of these, especially the unripe ones? I have chocolate habanero, peach scorpion, Carolina reaper, cherry pepper, ufo pepper, Brazilian starfish, and Bishop's crown. I'm thinking of making a jelly or two and trying my hand at pickling, what else should I make? Not shown are a bunch of unripe Bishop's crown and Brazilian starfish.

drat your colors are beautiful! I almost bought the starfish last year, how do you like them? The Bishops Crown are also really cool. Any particular standouts? Can you dehydrate and grind up any pepper? I've always wondered that

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Tremors posted:

Those are absolutely beautiful.

I'd make a bunch of hot sauce and fermented hot sauce, and pickled peppers. You could also do pepper flakes, but some of those would be happier drying in a dehydrator.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
I want to grow some herbs for cooking through out the year. Unfortunately Seattle is cursed with clouds, fog, and rain. Much Mordor. Anyone have a recommendation on one of those indoor gardening setups like the AeroGarden? Is it "don't get one"?

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

captkirk posted:

I want to grow some herbs for cooking through out the year. Unfortunately Seattle is cursed with clouds, fog, and rain. Much Mordor. Anyone have a recommendation on one of those indoor gardening setups like the AeroGarden? Is it "don't get one"?

I never had any issues growing herbs there nearly year round. The plants only seemed to just slow down in November-January. By February they were starting up again outdoors. Indoors you should be fine, but they won't grow super quickly. I could just take a walk and get rosemary cuttings from all over too.

An aerogarden should work fine, and you can set up your own system if that one doesn't suit your needs. Or just get a couple grow lamps for over your regularly planted herbs. There's a lot of ways to go about it.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Jhet posted:

I never had any issues growing herbs there nearly year round. The plants only seemed to just slow down in November-January. By February they were starting up again outdoors. Indoors you should be fine, but they won't grow super quickly. I could just take a walk and get rosemary cuttings from all over too.

An aerogarden should work fine, and you can set up your own system if that one doesn't suit your needs. Or just get a couple grow lamps for over your regularly planted herbs. There's a lot of ways to go about it.

I'm a little worried I won't have enough light to grow outside because my patio opens to the area between to apartments and it only gets light for part of the morning.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

captkirk posted:

Actually, since Mordor is covered in post-volcanic soil and has several large bodies of water within it available for irrigation it should be incredibly fertile if properly managed!

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Hubis posted:

Actually, since Mordor is covered in post-volcanic soil and has several large bodies of water within it available for irrigation it should be incredibly fertile if properly managed!

It is, just not the patios.

captkirk posted:

I'm a little worried I won't have enough light to grow outside because my patio opens to the area between to apartments and it only gets light for part of the morning.

Adding lights is reasonable if you're not usually getting enough. Aerogarden is fine and fun, but can get easily crowded by the plants. You could easily do small planters that can be moved around under a small bank of T5 grow lamps.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Has anyone here ever cultivated boniatos? (For those who haven't: it's basically a sweet potato but a little less sweet.) I tried it and it didn't work out too well. My mother-in-law has had good results, and she gave us one that had been in water for a little while and was sprouting, ready to plant. And then I also planted another one that we had left over and was sprouting as well. Basically just put 'em in the ground. This was about 3 months ago.

They got extremely leafy and spread out really well, so I was optimistic. I've read that they generally get harvested at the end of October, so I pulled them. But they barely did anything. Despite the leaves/vines spreading out a lot, I mostly just found the originally planted tuber plus roots that just looked like... roots. There were maybe 2 tiny new tubers per plant, nothing worth eating.

I've had a surprisingly difficult time finding helpful information on exactly how you're supposed to dig these up. Like, where do I stop? What am I looking for? The roots go on and on, am I expecting to find something eventually by following a tiny little root, or is it all supposed to be close to the main plant?

Since I live in a pretty warm climate (NC) it's definitely possible I pulled them too early, but my mother-in-law seemed to think it was time and she's been doing this for a while. So I dunno.

Sir Lemming fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Nov 1, 2019

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

I grow cat grass for my dog so she doesn't eat random plants outside, and it's finally getting cold enough that I'll have to move it inside. Trouble is there's nowhere in the house that gets enough sun that my dog can also reach. Anyone have a recommendation on a dirt cheap grow light I could get off of Amazon for this?

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

I have had dogs for almost 39 years and never had to grow them grass.

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

mischief posted:

I have had dogs for almost 39 years and never had to grow them grass.

Well, this little dog has a taste for anything green she can get to, be it houseplant or whatever she finds outside. If I keep cat grass around she goes for that instead. So I just need a light to keep some grass growing during the cold months.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
My dog's tummy was upset last night and she tried to go for the spider plant. Don't eat my fancy not-grass, dog.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Double post because the forums farted or something

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Nov 3, 2019

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Ape Has Killed Ape posted:

Well, this little dog has a taste for anything green she can get to, be it houseplant or whatever she finds outside. If I keep cat grass around she goes for that instead. So I just need a light to keep some grass growing during the cold months.

I've got one of these for seed starting and an orchid. I'm not a plant expert but it seems to be really bright and the plants like it. Been using it a couple of years:
https://smile.amazon.com/Shengsite-Hydroponics-Germination-Succulents-Vegetative/dp/B072HNNSFZ/

I have it hooked up to one of these timers so it comes on for 14-16 hours a day:
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B005WQIDHY/

The only annoying thing is getting it a couple to a few feet above what you're growing. I keep mine under the ironing board and the plants are on the floor, I only have to adjust things when the plants get too tall. If you don't like bright purpley light there may be more full spectrum options. I'm not really a plant guy but I've grown a bunch with that one so all I can say is it works for me.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Is there a lawn maintenance thread? Having troubles with grass turning yellow, but not sure if it fits this thread as grass isn't a herb or a veggie!

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Qubee posted:

Is there a lawn maintenance thread? Having troubles with grass turning yellow, but not sure if it fits this thread as grass isn't a herb or a veggie!

Plants thread or homespergin' thread. I've been thinking about starting a "landscaping" thread, but I'm not really an expert and there's already a couple plant threads and :effort:

Anyways, you are in the UK? Pics plz, close up if you can.

Is it large areas turning yellow, or a few individual blades?

When you examine the grass, are you noticing any brown spots in addition to the general chlorosis (yellowing)? Or is it just a general loss of green color?

Have you been getting a lot of rain?

If you take a stiff take and kind of comb up the soil so you get a lot of dead grass/thatch?

How often do you fertilize it, and with what? When was the last time?.

My suspicions are:

A) some kind of fungus (which you may need to treat, but may be able to just outgrow and prevent in this future with better management)

B) some kind of nutrient deficiency, either macro (N, maybe K), pseudo-micro (Fe or S) or true micro

C) A soil pH problem (which is essentially a nutrient problem since it affects nutrient uptake and can be fixed by a pH affecting nutrient asdition)

D) a soil oxygen problem caused by either heavy thatch layer, excessive water/poor drainage, or some combination of the two

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

There is a landscaping thread!
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3892694

It needs some good effortposts!

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Tear out entire lawn, replace with asparagus for you and local wildflowers for your bees.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Gang tag contest!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3903115

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

ISRAEL DOESN'T HAVE CIVILIANS THEY'RE ALL VALID TARGETS
I'm a huge dickbag ignore me

Grand Fromage posted:

Tear out entire lawn, replace with asparagus for you and local wildflowers for your bees.

Lawns are a bourgeoisie affectation. Grow something practical!

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Sunflowers are also fun and attract pollinators and birds like crazy. If you want something more interesting than giant stalks with a single flower (though they can be fun as well!), cultivars like "Autumn Beauty", "Velvet Queen" and "Evening Sun" grow around 7'-10' tall, have several to dozens of blooms per stalk and vary significantly in color from stalk to stalk. Anywhere from the typical bright yellow to orange, red and almost black with combinations as well.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Solkanar512 posted:

Sunflowers are also fun and attract pollinators and birds like crazy. If you want something more interesting than giant stalks with a single flower (though they can be fun as well!), cultivars like "Autumn Beauty", "Velvet Queen" and "Evening Sun" grow around 7'-10' tall, have several to dozens of blooms per stalk and vary significantly in color from stalk to stalk. Anywhere from the typical bright yellow to orange, red and almost black with combinations as well.

Burpee even had a nice, easy "sunflower forest" mix I was tempted to pick up this year.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Grand Fromage posted:

I've mentioned it elsewhere, but I saw an interesting study of polinator populations that showed native species seemed to thrive in grassy lawns that were mowed at roughly two week intervals when compared to garden beds and greater/lesser mowing frequency. The working theory was that the longer grass provided hiding spaces to protect ground dwelling bees, but letting it grow too long led to some kind of problem with either disease, navigation, or harboring predators.

Anecdotal, but I gave it a try (I let my grass go long from June-August anyways) and I feel like I saw a noticable increase in bee activity.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Hubis posted:

Burpee even had a nice, easy "sunflower forest" mix I was tempted to pick up this year.

I seriously looked at that but decided that I didn’t have the room for FIFTEEN FOOT TALL sunflowers holy poo poo. That would be so cool just to plant in my front yard or something.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Solkanar512 posted:

I seriously looked at that but decided that I didn’t have the room for FIFTEEN FOOT TALL sunflowers holy poo poo. That would be so cool just to plant in my front yard or something.

Cuius est solum, eius est usque ad coelum et ad inferos.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Hubis posted:

Plants thread or homespergin' thread. I've been thinking about starting a "landscaping" thread, but I'm not really an expert and there's already a couple plant threads and :effort:

Anyways, you are in the UK? Pics plz, close up if you can.

Is it large areas turning yellow, or a few individual blades?

When you examine the grass, are you noticing any brown spots in addition to the general chlorosis (yellowing)? Or is it just a general loss of green color?

Have you been getting a lot of rain?

If you take a stiff take and kind of comb up the soil so you get a lot of dead grass/thatch?

How often do you fertilize it, and with what? When was the last time?.

Yes, UK. Large areas are turning yellow. Yes, lots of rain, though it's like this year round in Manchester. I haven't raked it yet but I will once it stops raining. I've never fertilized it, and I moved here in July. I think it may be down to the fact I've let it grow unhampered from July and have only just cut it now. Even on the highest setting (6.5cm), I feel like I'm cutting far too much off, but I can't cut it any higher.

I've yet to mow the front lawn, as I have no idea what is causing this yellowing, and I would rather leave it long, uncut and green, rather than mow it down to a horrible woody yellow when all my neighbours have lovely green lawns. Definitely feeling like a monumental fuckup on my part, I shouldn't have left it to grow this long. Front lawn in pic below. It's long and unkempt, but at least it's green! Definitely worried if I mow the front lawn and it's equally yellow / brown, estate agents might get annoyed at me.

Think I might just call it quits and hire a professional to tackle the front garden, and just keep the lawn mower and properly manage it once it starts growing again in the Spring. gently caress.

Qubee fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Nov 6, 2019

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Grand Fromage posted:

Tried to grow asparagus but apparently it takes 3 years??

Platystemon posted:

Cuius est solum, eius est usque ad coelum et ad inferos.

raeda in fossa est and also I want to grow 100' tall sunflowers now

Harry Potter on Ice fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Nov 6, 2019

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Lawns are evil and must be punished. Do not allow the green monoculture of your neighbors shame you

oh no computer
May 27, 2003

I tried sunflowers this summer. I planted 6, only two germinated, one was eaten by slugs as a seedling, and the other only grew to a paltry 7 feet. 2/10.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Suspect Bucket posted:

Lawns are evil and must be punished. Do not allow the green monoculture of your neighbors shame you

My lawn is clover, thyme, and fescue. And some people need space to play outdoors with their children and pets and things.

People who have only grass lawns are confounding and balance should be achieved between the two.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Jhet posted:

My lawn is clover, thyme, and fescue. And some people need space to play outdoors with their children and pets and things.

People who have only grass lawns are confounding and balance should be achieved between the two.

Ahh, let me graze in your lovely pastures, friend.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Hubis posted:

I'm going to look for that mix next year. I got a similar effect this year by planting four different varieties together. (Velvet Queen rocks!) I'd planned to plant the dwarf varieties in the front and Russian Mammoth in the back but somehow got things scrambled. Worked out o.k. though even with the smaller plants shaded a bit.

Hubis posted:

I've mentioned it elsewhere, but I saw an interesting study of polinator populations that showed native species seemed to thrive in grassy lawns that were mowed at roughly two week intervals when compared to garden beds and greater/lesser mowing frequency. The working theory was that the longer grass provided hiding spaces to protect ground dwelling bees, but letting it grow too long led to some kind of problem with either disease, navigation, or harboring predators.

Anecdotal, but I gave it a try (I let my grass go long from June-August anyways) and I feel like I saw a noticeable increase in bee activity.

If you happen to run into that study again I'd be interested in reading it.

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Tried to grow asparagus but apparently it takes 3 years??

Totally worth it. If you start from crowns you can take a limited harvest the second year after planting. Oddly enough the Martha Washington we started from seeds are some of our best producers four years on. The Guelph Millennium and Jersey varieties aren't slouches either.

We screwed up our first attempt at an asparagus bed by not keeping it weeded - they don't like competition. The current bed is always under mulch. Just added a layer of shredded maple leaves and once we have a couple of good winter storms I'll go down to the beach and collect some seaweed mulch (their favourite).

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Suspect Bucket posted:

Ahh, let me graze in your lovely pastures, friend.

Most weeks in the summer there are usually a hundred or more honey bees in my modest garden. Just depends on what’s blooming. Last year I counted 8 different species of bee/wasp in about a 5’ square section of the yard.

And who doesn’t love the smell of thyme while walking across the lawn? Seriously though, the thyme gets mown with everything else, so it’s short and soft almost all year. It also flowers where it doesn’t get mown, so it’s pretty too. The clover I don’t know if I could get rid of it I wanted to, and I don’t. It’s softer than the grass that does grow and requires less water. Also, I do not fertilize it, because that’s crazy talk. I just mulch it with the clippings the four times a year it gets cut.

We also use our yard more than most of the neighbors, so their opinions are not that useful.

OP looks like there are plenty of other plants in the area, so just take it clean and leave it to do it’s thing. And hope it’s a variety that likes Manchester and not some sun loving, nutrient starved one. You’re better off putting in something else if it isn’t native.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Jhet posted:

Most weeks in the summer there are usually a hundred or more honey bees in my modest garden. Just depends on what’s blooming. Last year I counted 8 different species of bee/wasp in about a 5’ square section of the yard.

And who doesn’t love the smell of thyme while walking across the lawn? Seriously though, the thyme gets mown with everything else, so it’s short and soft almost all year. It also flowers where it doesn’t get mown, so it’s pretty too. The clover I don’t know if I could get rid of it I wanted to, and I don’t. It’s softer than the grass that does grow and requires less water. Also, I do not fertilize it, because that’s crazy talk. I just mulch it with the clippings the four times a year it gets cut.

We also use our yard more than most of the neighbors, so their opinions are not that useful.

OP looks like there are plenty of other plants in the area, so just take it clean and leave it to do it’s thing. And hope it’s a variety that likes Manchester and not some sun loving, nutrient starved one. You’re better off putting in something else if it isn’t native.

Did you convert your lawn, or start it out new like this?

Also, how deep are the root systems? I have a drain field to worry about, but this really sounds way more fun than loving grass.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
Not deep at all. If I don’t want the thyme someplace I just pull it out by hand. It’s a creeping and flowering thyme variety and shouldn’t bother your drain field.

The former owner is a gardener, but the best way I can describe it is “throw in a bunch of tuberous and invasive plants and hope for the best”. So the thyme is all over because I expect it was used as ground cover in places. She bragged about 100 tulips, but they are literally all over the place.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Waited through a couple weeks of frosts to pull the remaining stuff in the garden.

A helper came from next door.

The carrots I planted back in like, May. All the subsequent carrots didn't grow beyond bite size, at least I got a few.

Always get plenty of peppers, going to dry these once I figure out how.

One reasonably sized daikon. It looks like there are two more potential big bois in the daikon box, I'm leaving them for now.

The amount of work to get this bountiful harvest is hilarious. I could've driven to the giant pan-Asian grocery in the neighboring city every weekend and spent less time/money overall, plus gotten way more food.

Oh well. Hopefully they taste good.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Your chiles seen to be lacking in polygons.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I usually snack on them over a few weeks, but I had to harvest all my satsumas ahead of this very early hard freeze. I just planted it 5 years ago, and it's now 8-10' tall and it produced ~10 gallons this year. Not bad for being completely neglected. I was worried the green ones weren't ripe yet, but all the ones I've tried so far have been good, if not super super sweet. I definitely should have thinned out the crop sometime after it had set fruit for quality, but they're still pretty good.

uh....anyone know what to do with 10 gallons of satsumas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I usually snack on them over a few weeks, but I had to harvest all my satsumas ahead of this very early hard freeze. I just planted it 5 years ago, and it's now 8-10' tall and it produced ~10 gallons this year. Not bad for being completely neglected. I was worried the green ones weren't ripe yet, but all the ones I've tried so far have been good, if not super super sweet. I definitely should have thinned out the crop sometime after it had set fruit for quality, but they're still pretty good.

uh....anyone know what to do with 10 gallons of satsumas?

The juice is delicious and it takes freezing well.