Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

for all people give Pat poo poo about it Matt was totally checked-out mentally near the end

if it wasn't about 90s cartoons he really didn't care like at all

e: though his mom's circumstance explains that :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Pat is streaming Disco elysium right now and he's hosed up getting the tie.

https://www.twitch.tv/angriestpat

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Stairmaster posted:

Pat is streaming Disco elysium right now and he's hosed up getting the tie.

https://www.twitch.tv/angriestpat

...is he planning on reading the entire game out loud?

I honestly don't get why people LP (and watch people who LP) text-heavy games. When I watched SBF stuff it was for the commentary and bizarre goofy tangents, not to hear sleep-addled Pat mumbling something I could just play and read myself.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Because a lot of people use the Best Friends' content as podcasts, so they've gotten into the habit of reading aloud from text-heavy games.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Omi no Kami posted:

I honestly don't get why people LP (and watch people who LP) text-heavy games. When I watched SBF stuff it was for the commentary and bizarre goofy tangents, not to hear sleep-addled Pat mumbling something I could just play and read myself.

There's actual, financial math that reading out the texts is better than trying to put the audience on a hope-you-can-keep up babysitting. A ton more people don't focus on the stream than you think.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Yeah, I get why they read out loud, but I seriously don't get why there's a market for it- I'm obviously not the target demographic, so I might just be oblivious, but I would've assumed that they would intentionally pick games that worked as audio-only things without requiring them to record an entire audiobook.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
If Pat doesn't read text outloud he's basically quiet for half of the stream

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I don't get how there's a market for pat's solo streams in general. They are dull as poo poo.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Yeah, I think I've probably watched a grand total of 50-60 minutes of Pat over the last year. The bit where he goes off on a bizarre tangent and ends up screaming for 20 minutes about people stealing his food are great, but live stuff in general just doesn't feel like content to me.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

people read everything because like half of their audience only watch streams in the background

pat doesn't usually stream anything i want to watch but even if he did i couldn't take him spending 2 hours reading donation comments every time

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I've only watched clips of his lootbox madness.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

the only reason the stream was good was becasue it was Disco Elysium and there was a constant stream of people in the chat going "Holy poo poo what is this game" and being proselytized.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
Play Disco Elysium

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

lets hang out posted:

people read everything because like half of their audience only watch streams in the background

pat doesn't usually stream anything i want to watch but even if he did i couldn't take him spending 2 hours reading donation comments every time

That's why I watch the vods on youtube if I watch Pat's stuff and skip the beginning bit. Sometimes he doesn't burn an hour on that and it throws me off though. Most of the time I pass on his stuff it's because his mind goblins ruin it and he ends up ignoring whole systems in a game. Also sometimes he just fucks up too much in general and it gets painful, like in Outer Worlds he keeps selling to vending machines and missing out on the merchant skill and faction bonus, he's thrown away thousands at this point.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

imo 2 golden rules of lps:

1) don't read all the text out loud
2) don't hum/sing to fill silence

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Yinlock posted:

You should probably react to the text and rephrase it for the benefit of the audience, don't try to "voice act" it unless you're translating on the spot.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Yinlock posted:

Who the gently caress does #2 that is the worst poo poo ever.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Neo_Crimson posted:

<points to woolie, reggie and minh singing random megaman themes during one of their quick looks>

that was kinda funny tho, but you have to commit

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Neo_Crimson posted:

Game Grumps used to do a lot of random beatboxing very frequently. Actually, maybe they still do that.

Blorknorg
Jul 19, 2003
Crush me like a Blorknorg!

Big Scary Owl posted:

Game Grumps used to do a lot of random beatboxing very frequently. Actually, maybe they still do that.

To be fair aren't both of the "game grumps" musicians? One of the videos that gets recommended to me sometimes is them spoofing that "hero" song from spiderman while playing something and I thought it was pretty funny.

I do agree that people reading text in 'funny voices' can make for some cringe-inducing stream content. I briefly tried some of the extended Totalbiscuit people when Matt finally left, and Jessie Cox and Dodger both seem to do the text out loud thing.

I really do miss the full 2016 cast SBF, they were the one crew I enjoyed almost all the time. Also helped that I'd been following them since the Kirby video so it was a neat surprise to find out they were Canadian.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Hat Films regularly do musical bits, and it's consistently a comedic highpoint of their videos. But they're all amateur musicians and it's usually inventively profane.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
i think we all know that there is only one way to make unprofessional singing funny

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
Praise be to Elmo on this, the day of his birth :kimchi:

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Big Scary Owl posted:

The Game Grumps beatboxing thing is a little different, cuz beatboxing weird phrases was just one of Arin's weird habits. He doesn't do it much anymore now that it became a joke to the point where they have a "Days since Arin beatboxed" sign up.

MaxDuo
Aug 13, 2010
Woolie advertising Manscaped this week seemed very "Oh gently caress this is what the loving ads are having us push now?"

I remember there was the occasional survey in the past to help them aim ads at the podcast audience.... Haven't heard one in a while..... But now we're at ads for socks, fancy outfits, underwear, and ball shaving on our video games podcast.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

MaxDuo posted:

Woolie advertising Manscaped this week seemed very "Oh gently caress this is what the loving ads are having us push now?"

I remember there was the occasional survey in the past to help them aim ads at the podcast audience.... Haven't heard one in a while..... But now we're at ads for socks, fancy outfits, underwear, and ball shaving on our video games podcast.

Ball shaving ads are way better than that loving student loan poo poo that they had advertise while back.

Not as good as the times they had shill Inhumans through gritted teeth though.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
The fact that Woolie gave the manscape ad and not Pat The Ball Chat Boivin is a tragedy

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

When they were still SBFP their sponsorship service gave them a sports betting thing even though they'd apparently requested no gambling/sleazy BS, so Pat just read it as sarcastically as he possibly could. Somehow, that line read ended up on the sponsor's site for months as an example of what you'd get if your company commissioned ads through SBFP.

MaxDuo
Aug 13, 2010

Omi no Kami posted:

requested no gambling/sleazy BS, so Pat just read it as sarcastically as he possibly could.

I seem to recall some people tweeting angrily at him for daring to advertise some kind of sports gambling thing, as though he had personally decided to advertise the company and was all for it.

I'd forgotten that, despite being really confused at the time and thinking surely it was some kind of bit. And holy poo poo I completely forgot the student loan thing.

Did Lootcrate stop advertising? I feel like when it first showed up on SBFP I thought it sounded like an interesting thing that I gave 0 fucks about. And then I started to hate the poo poo out of it as it started showing up on every YT channel for a while. I remember at some point skipping like 99% of the videos that Little Kuriboh put out because he also started putting out weekly LootCrate ads, unboxing by himself, unboxing with someone else, unboxing with an old guy..... Lootcrate went from seeming interesting but not giving a poo poo about it, to actively hating it.

Also reminds me of how I always thought it was funny that they advertised Dollar Shave Club, despite the fact that the most of them don't seem to shave more than the occasional trim on rare occasion.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

MaxDuo posted:

Did Lootcrate stop advertising?

Yeah, probably about the time they went bankrupt and shut down.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
I wonder if Woolie still uses Dr. Carver's Shave Butter and the One Wipe Charlies. :pervert:

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Didn't they get ads for Fallout 76 at one point?

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

Rhonne posted:

Didn't they get ads for Fallout 76 at one point?

Pretty sure they did cause it was really hilarious to hear those followed by the news section about how the game was on fire.

Also I bought the socks....they really good socks, but like, I tried wearing one of them and one of the regular Hanes or whatever the gently caress socks I have, and it was only a noticeable difference if I made the effort to pay attention, like by the end of the day I had forgotten and was surprised that I had on mismatched socks. Too pricey to get without a sale, giving a pair to charity for each pair bought is cool, but still, you could just buy two packs of socks and donate one for half the price of these I bet.

Their chat about Disco Elysium has sold me on the game but I don't know when I'll get a chance to play it since so much is coming out right now and I haven't even had time to finish The Outer Worlds yet.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

MaxDuo posted:

The wrestling podcasts I listen to also have the ball shave ads

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

ball shaving ads are extremely on-brand for people constantly exposing theirs

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

"Keep your balls CRISP, SPOTLESS for the next time they get exposed on stream."

It writes itself.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
Finally got towards the end of the podcast, and hearing Woolie correct Pat on SonicFox's prounouns made my day. :3:

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

umalt posted:

Finally got towards the end of the podcast, and hearing Woolie correct Pat on SonicFox's prounouns made my day. :3:

Good to hear, they got them wrong a few podcasts ago - it seemed pretty clearly just not being up to date rather then an intentional, but I was thinking about sending in a correction. (But then forgot, so its good to hear word got around either way.)

It was a bit funny considering they were talking about on SonicFox wearing the trans pride flag as a cape.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!

Yardbomb posted:

"Keep your balls CRISP, SPOTLESS for the next time they get exposed on stream."

It writes itself.

Be sure to get your CRISP AND SPOTLESS BALLS a good night's sleep with the Casper Crotch Cradle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

umalt posted:

As long as SonicFox's style is impetuous and their defense is impregnable, then all is right with the world.