Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

DJExile posted:

Oly lenses I will not shut up about, in no particular order:

60mm f/2.8 macro - As GEMorris said, it's just an awesome macro lens. Has a focus limiter and can quickly send it to 1:1 focus. You can find it dirt cheap these days as there's a ton of them and I'm sure a ton of used ones are on the market. Weather sealed.

40-150mm f/2.8 Pro - Can focus really close for its size. Built like a tank. I've posted mine like 10 times here just covered in water and mud and other fluids best not described.

I have so many David Thorpe videos to watch now- he seems like the best guy to have looked at every MFT lens ever

The Oly 40-150 f/2.8 is really standing out to me on this lineup, same with the 60mm macro; thanks to GEMorris also.

My YT trawling introduced me to the Meike 50mm f/2 which goes for $75 new on amazon, and which seems like a perfectly good cheap portraiture lens.

https://youtu.be/-ZhyKuHdja0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
The olympus 45mm is less than $150 used, and not much more refurbished from olympus. Probably worth the price difference.

Or for a similar price you could get a vintage 50mm 1.4 and adapter, or any number of vintage ~50mm f2 lenses for pretty much nothing.

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

oh I dunno
the form factor and simplicity are appealing enough to me already

an adapter is ultimately more clutter if I end up not liking whatever legacy nifty 50 I’d get

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Sneeze Party posted:

The Fuji XT-3 has really great face/eye detection. It's not quite as fast as Sony's, but it's still quite good.

Yep. But it’s definitely something of a pro body. The X-T30 will do most of that (and still be smaller) with the same sensor, and the X-T20 will get close while still providing good shots for cheaper.

For our gentle goon looking to get a camera, I’d start with the X-T20 cheap plus the 18-55 2.8-4 and a prime of your choice — the pancake 27 is surprisingly good and makes for a tiny package.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

harperdc posted:

Yep. But it’s definitely something of a pro body. The X-T30 will do most of that (and still be smaller) with the same sensor, and the X-T20 will get close while still providing good shots for cheaper.

For our gentle goon looking to get a camera, I’d start with the X-T20 cheap plus the 18-55 2.8-4 and a prime of your choice — the pancake 27 is surprisingly good and makes for a tiny package.

Heh. I bought an X-T3 because I have an acquisition disorder and holy poo poo is it a lot of camera. The only reason I went with it over the X-T30 was feel in hand. But it’s also insanely fun to shoot with. As someone who bought a nice camera ostensibly to take photos of my kids, vacations, and the outdoors, I’ll agree that an X-T20 with the 18-55 f/2.8-4 would be an excellent choice and would serve op for some time to come.

Also, some advice: don’t just get mired in specs. Yes, the best camera is the one you have with you, so make sure it’s one you want to have with you because you like using it.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
I loved my Fuji’s except for the grip.

Or lack thereof.

Get an add on grip for comfort. Also, the X-T2/3 are worth it for the huge viewfinder alone.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

has anyone tried the Sigma fp?

SuicidalSmurf
Feb 12, 2002

Thanks all, appreciate the advice. I'm gravitating towards the XT20, I suspect I'll be more than happy with the advancements in camera tech over my 10 year old Nikon, and won't know what I'm missing between the 20 and 30, and likely a much higher percentage of keepers. Although if the right Black Friday deal comes along I might be compelled to grab the 30.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Get the XT2, bigger viewfinder.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

qirex posted:

Fujirumors just posted that the X-Pro 3 "articulated screen [but not the way you wanted]" is strictly an X-Pro feature and will not carry through to the X100 or other X cameras. THere's also rumors that they might weather seal the X100.

Damnit I'm a sentimental idiot and wouldn't want to give up my X100F but upgrading to a weather sealed version... I'd have to do it.

I'm really enjoying my X-T3, especially since I got my 50mm lens even though I haven't had a ton of time to go out and use it. But god drat the X-Pro3 is pulling at my nostalgia strings.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Is the Fuji 60mm macro any good? I’m curious about the fact that it’s only 0.5x. I’m teaching my son to tie flies, so I need a lens for taking detailed pictures of horribly tied monstrosities. I’ll take pictures of his flies as well.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

whatever7 posted:

Get the XT2, bigger viewfinder.

Viewfinder aside, this is the correct advice. I can't see a significant enough jump between the X-T2 and X-T3 (unless you're a video fiend or want a touchscreen) to justify the current difference in price, especially if you buy your cameras pre-owned. Even new, there's a $500 difference.

SuicidalSmurf
Feb 12, 2002

XBenedict posted:

Viewfinder aside, this is the correct advice. I can't see a significant enough jump between the X-T2 and X-T3 (unless you're a video fiend or want a touchscreen) to justify the current difference in price, especially if you buy your cameras pre-owned. Even new, there's a $500 difference.

My biggest worry comparing the 2 vs 20 is not being happy with the compactness. Unfortunately I don't think there's any place near me where I could compare the different bodies. I like the idea of a bigger viewfinder and weather sealing, but don't know if I want to trade for compactness and $$$. I don't have any frame of reference because I'm coming from a DSLR and haven't played around with EVFs, so don't know how important the bigger viewfinder is or how it compares against the optical viewfinder of the D5100.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

I got the T2 following the recommendations in this thread, after shooting on a DSLR (a D40) for years. I don't know what you consider compact, but It's so much thinner and lighter than the DSLR that I'm a lot more comfortable having it on me and pulling it out casually than I ever was before. (Edit: I just checked, it's actually not lighter! But it's so much less bulky that it sort of feels like it.) It's actually a bit wider than the D40 but the overall form factor is still very compact. Nobody's going to mistake it for a point and shoot, but it's not big by any means, just comfortable to handle.

Cognac McCarthy fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Nov 6, 2019

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

The XT20/30 EVF is considerably smaller than the XT2/3. My first mirrorless was an a6000, which had what's considered a small and kinda crappy EVF, but I was pretty impressed at the time by its ability to provide an accurate representation of exposure and WB without having to review images on the LCD, as well as the focus peaking, which seemed like such a cool feature at first. Over time you start to realize the drawbacks like pixelisation, lag and detail loss in low light. The larger, higher-performance EVF of the XT2 and 3 mitigate these issues somewhat, so yeah, you can function just fine with the little viewfinder on the smaller Fuji models, but the big ones are way better and more immersive.

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
If your in the US then best buy has fuji display models (and olympus, canon, nikon). At least the ones in this area do.

Otherwise here they are on camera size comparison, with the 27mm and 18-55mm.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
T20 is like a V6 Mustang. You can live with its viewfinder and be happy with it as long as you never try the V8 Mustang. But the size difference is minimum.

ugh whatever jeez
Mar 19, 2009

Buglord
Big is nice. Well, unless you overdo it like G9 ... Honestly, I've used loads of different EVF cameras and they all work, it's not like you're going to edit photos on that, it's just for framing. More important is eye point (esp for those who wear glasses), colors, high refresh rate and NOT dropping into single digit FPS the moment light levels get a bit low! And, after using Pen-F - the fact that eye sensor should be located inside the goddamn eyecup to shade it from sun.
The only really sucky EVFs are of the sequential field type Panasonic likes to use.

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

I've had my Xpro2 for 3 years now. I absolutely love it. I don't really have a desire to upgrade to the Pro 3 anytime soon, but an X100V with weather sealing would be a day 1 purchase for me.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

SuicidalSmurf posted:

My biggest worry comparing the 2 vs 20 is not being happy with the compactness. Unfortunately I don't think there's any place near me where I could compare the different bodies. I like the idea of a bigger viewfinder and weather sealing, but don't know if I want to trade for compactness and $$$. I don't have any frame of reference because I'm coming from a DSLR and haven't played around with EVFs, so don't know how important the bigger viewfinder is or how it compares against the optical viewfinder of the D5100.

I owned an X-T2 and X-T10 at the same time. I wound up selling the X-T10 because it wasn't significantly smaller...also because they were similar enough that having both was dumb.

If you look at the size comparisons on this page, you can see that we're talking about differences in size down to single digit mm in some directions.

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.
Get the X-T2

SuicidalSmurf
Feb 12, 2002

Alright, sold. Thanks everyone.

sildargod
Oct 25, 2010

Dangerllama posted:

Is the Fuji 60mm macro any good? I’m curious about the fact that it’s only 0.5x. I’m teaching my son to tie flies, so I need a lens for taking detailed pictures of horribly tied monstrosities. I’ll take pictures of his flies as well.

It's spectacular, if you can come to terms with precisely that 1:2 macro. It's more than adequate for me, and even though it focuses slowly, it's fast enough most of the time.

It's magic for portraits too, I prefer it to the 56.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

sildargod posted:

It's spectacular, if you can come to terms with precisely that 1:2 macro. It's more than adequate for me, and even though it focuses slowly, it's fast enough most of the time.

It's magic for portraits too, I prefer it to the 56.

I often forget that I have the 60mm macro. Magnification is good enough for my needs. Here's a sooc jgp I grabbed of a tiny (pinkynail-sized) spider on my balcony door. The orange orb is a street light across the road.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
I really want to rent the Sony 200-600 but I don't want to then buy it like an idiot because I can't afford it.

Relate to me how awful that lens is.

accipter
Sep 12, 2003
For macro photography, I got the 16 mm extension tube and I have been quite happy with it. This caterpillar was taken with the 35 mm lens and the 16 mm extension.

It also shortens the minimum distance nicely on the 100-400mm.

Both are SOOC.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

mAlfunkti0n posted:

I really want to rent the Sony 200-600 but I don't want to then buy it like an idiot because I can't afford it.

Relate to me how awful that lens is.

It's awful...ly good at image quality and for a supertele reasonably affordable in its class?

It is considerably heavier than a 100-400 type zoom, but the fixed size zoom makes it much easier to follow and track subjects at long distances while reframing.

SuicidalSmurf
Feb 12, 2002

Still a bit out of my price range, but saw that Abe's of Maine has XT-3's on sale now $1,109. Holding my breath that Amazon will closeout the 2's below the $799 it's at now. Amazon seems to be the only place I can find with new X-T2's in inventory still, so hoping I don't get screwed for waiting.

[Edit]
And the 2.8-4 18-55 is on sale for $339 which I probably will grab, as it was what I was eyeing anyway for whatever body I end up with.

[Edit 2]
I thought I had heard this place come up before, but it looks like they have a reputation for Gray Market without advertising as such? Would explain the lens being so significantly less than elsewhere.

SuicidalSmurf fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Nov 10, 2019

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

SuicidalSmurf posted:

Still a bit out of my price range, but saw that Abe's of Maine has XT-3's on sale now $1,109. Holding my breath that Amazon will closeout the 2's below the $799 it's at now. Amazon seems to be the only place I can find with new X-T2's in inventory still, so hoping I don't get screwed for waiting.

[Edit]
And the 2.8-4 18-55 is on sale for $339 which I probably will grab, as it was what I was eyeing anyway for whatever body I end up with.

[Edit 2]
I thought I had heard this place come up before, but it looks like they have a reputation for Gray Market without advertising as such? Would explain the lens being so significantly less than elsewhere.

I called them once and they confirmed that it’s gray market.

SuicidalSmurf
Feb 12, 2002

Animal posted:

I called them once and they confirmed that it’s gray market.

What a lovely way of doing business. It's not like there's any shortage of people willing to buy gray-market, but there is zero indication that is the case on their site. They're not on Fuji's authorized reseller list either, now that I looked.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Turns out the MCEX-11 is perfect for macro photography of extremely stationary objects. It's going to take some time to get proficient with it, but this'll definitely do for now. As a bonus, I think I'm also finally figuring out how best to make use of this Litra Pro that Santa brought me last Christmas.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

someone hurry up buy a Sigma fp and give us the scoop

ugh whatever jeez
Mar 19, 2009

Buglord
Used my new E-M1 II to shoot first bigger event. Some random thoughts:

12-40 Pro is good but 45 1.2 is something to die for I think it was pricing error but I got mine for 450 EUR new :) I think I need 17 mm as well ...

AF is nuts. S-AF still has contrast detect wobble so I'm not sure if it uses PDAF in that mode or not but thankfully C-AF is so good I just left it on all the time. Only a few missed focus shots I would have wanted to use.

Battery life is decent but not A7 III level awesome. Gonna need second battery, ran out of juice after almost 4 hours and ~1200 photos.

Used auto-ISO almost always, wanted to check how ISO 6400 looks like but going through the photos the highest I needed was 4000 and it's just fine. Color is fine too.

AWB is awesome, I could have just shot JPG and not worry about poo poo AT ALL. Flashing LED lights and stage lighting no problem. Also least amount of post-processing I've had to do compared to 80D, A7, A7 II and X-T2 RAW files.

Handling is so good, only complaint I have is lack of joystick and power/drive/metering buttons on the left. Have to do some reshuffling of button assignments.

So yeah, would def recommend 3 year old camera!

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
So last fall I posted about wanting to upgrade from my Fuji XT20 with 18-55mm kit lens to something better. Then I didn't actually upgrade and kept shooting with the XT20. Now I'm thinking it really is time to upgrade. I want better autofocus and high-speed performance, the pictures I most care about being action shots of LARP nerds fighting (basically sports photography). I don't want to deal with post-processing, I plan to shoot jpgs only and do nothing to them other than trimming. I'm thinking either the Fuji XH1, which is currently being offered at a bargain price with the battery grip and the 16-55mm lens, or the Sony A7iii with the 24-70mm G-Master lens. I can afford the Sony and would gladly pay the extra money if it results in commensurately better pictures, since ~~~full frame~~~ and all that, but since it is a significant price difference, if I'm only going to see a 10% improvement in image quality or something, I'd probably go with the cheaper option. Opinions, please?

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
Sigma is coming out with a 24-70mm for mirrorless that should be a lot more affordable. The Tamron equivalent is a very compact option, but starts at 28mm. Sony has improved their jpgs but you might find it a step back coming from Fuji.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Kylaer posted:

So last fall I posted about wanting to upgrade from my Fuji XT20 with 18-55mm kit lens to something better. Then I didn't actually upgrade and kept shooting with the XT20. Now I'm thinking it really is time to upgrade. I want better autofocus and high-speed performance, the pictures I most care about being action shots of LARP nerds fighting (basically sports photography). I don't want to deal with post-processing, I plan to shoot jpgs only and do nothing to them other than trimming. I'm thinking either the Fuji XH1, which is currently being offered at a bargain price with the battery grip and the 16-55mm lens, or the Sony A7iii with the 24-70mm G-Master lens. I can afford the Sony and would gladly pay the extra money if it results in commensurately better pictures, since ~~~full frame~~~ and all that, but since it is a significant price difference, if I'm only going to see a 10% improvement in image quality or something, I'd probably go with the cheaper option. Opinions, please?

Don’t know much about Fuji, but their film simulations do sound like a neat concept.

I’ve never been terribly thrilled with the jpegs out of my a7ii—the reds typically seem overcooked and the white balance is often off—but I pretty much always post process from raws anyway. :shrug:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Kylaer posted:

Are you unhappy with the lenses or (for lack of a better term) ecosystem surrounding Fuji? That would be the reason to change away. It sounds like you want the workflow (JPEG oriented) that Fuji has, so seems like upgrading to a X-H1 or X-T2/X-T3 might be a better idea.

Also look into a telephoto lens too.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
The big concern I have with Fuji is that it's got a smaller, less capable sensor than the Sony and that this will ultimately limit the image quality, regardless of lens quality. I don't intend to buy multiple lenses - I'm always standing right next to the action so a short to medium range one is fine, a telephoto would be too much.

I do like the Fuji jpgs, they seem very appropriate. I don't have any interest in simulating film, I want things to look as true to life as possible. I want to capture reality, not create art.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Kylaer posted:

The big concern I have with Fuji is that it's got a smaller, less capable sensor than the Sony and

Gotta stop you here.

Buy as much camera as you need. Full frame is useful, but it’s not an automatic improvement. Technique and skill will always win out, and that could be with a 15-year-old cropped-frame camera or a brand new pro full frame one.

If you’re happy with the images you get, and happy with the quality, it’s fine. Unless you’re printing billboards it’ll be good enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Kylaer posted:

The big concern I have with Fuji is that it's got a smaller, less capable sensor than the Sony and that this will ultimately limit the image quality, regardless of lens quality.
Why would you go with a tiny 35mm sensor then? I wouldn't put on my chainmail for anything smaller than medium format.

quote:

I do like the Fuji jpgs, they seem very appropriate. I don't have any interest in simulating film, I want things to look as true to life as possible. I want to capture reality, not create art.
For Fuji, the Provia sim is what you'd want for a natural look.