Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
Leave monitoring software open on it, 1FPS don't matter if you just keeping a visual on uptime

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

ChubbyThePhat posted:

Completely unrelated to his situation, I have seen this happen with incredibly contrived routing policies that require some, not all, internet access to go through the hub (as in hub and spoke).

Okay, I guess this makes sense in that, yes, I guess you could route some sites one way and other sites another. I'm not sure why you would do this, but presumably in some cases maybe this makes sense. I can definitely see it for specific sites, but not sure why "two subdomains" or whatever would be important.

But devil's in the details, so alright.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

klosterdev posted:

Leave monitoring software open on it, 1FPS don't matter if you just keeping a visual on uptime

I put e-mail there for now. The resolution is too low for monitoring software. I have a poo poo ton of monitoring open. If anything, I'll double up and put the lesser used boards up there and dedicate two monitors to monitoring.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

larchesdanrew posted:

The only thing I can come up with is something screwy going on with redirects. Our web filter kinda shits the bed if there are too many redirects. But the web filter and firewall aren't even showing traffic being passed when these pages are accessed. They just don't exist as far as our network is concerned. But you can open them on your phone. But if you use your phone as a hotspot and try to use one of our computers, they don't exist again. It's the weirdest fuckin thing.

This is suspect #2

That absolutely sounds like DNS.

totalnewbie posted:

Okay, I guess this makes sense in that, yes, I guess you could route some sites one way and other sites another. I'm not sure why you would do this, but presumably in some cases maybe this makes sense. I can definitely see it for specific sites, but not sure why "two subdomains" or whatever would be important.

But devil's in the details, so alright.

You would very likely never do this; you are correct. It was an absolute garbage fire that I was responsible for during less enthralling times of my life.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

RFC2324 posted:

You missed the fact that they are refusing to let IT address it as a tech issue

It's not a tech issue, it's a policy issue. And I assume IT didn't implement the policy.

I mean by all means get mad at them because that's what everybody at my job does because of some policy that the Systems or Security people implemented without telling anybody (including us, the helpdesk.)

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
The fix for the policy issue is "use OneDrive" too. I would put money on it being accessible to both.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

klosterdev posted:

Is gonna be DNS

Its all DNS, including the rain

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Someone post the DNS haiku.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!

iospace posted:

Are you even an admin if you don't have it on a t-shirt

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
Really,
DNS?
:argh:
Again?

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

iospace posted:

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

iospace posted:

It's not DNS.
There's no way it's DNS.
It was DNS.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Inspector_666 posted:

It's not a tech issue, it's a policy issue. And I assume IT didn't implement the policy.

I mean by all means get mad at them because that's what everybody at my job does because of some policy that the Systems or Security people implemented without telling anybody (including us, the helpdesk.)

It's even better when they don't tell the client endpoint teams what they've done :v:

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

InfoSec, the most useless group in our entire company posted:

Hey, I see your request to open the firewall to connect to Satellite. Why does it need all these ports?

Because that's what Satellite needs. If you have questions on the 'why' for that, I suppose you should talk to loving RedHat. Otherwise, I'm not going to spend time justifying the operation of one of our core systems to an intern that walked in knowing gently caress-all about our environment.

xsf, apologies for the barrage of loving stupid questions you're going to get hit with.

AlexDeGruven fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Oct 30, 2019

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Fuuuuck that is bad SecOps. If you've got your source, dest, ports and "because Satellite" then that should be good enough to rubberstamp it.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

AlexDeGruven posted:

Because that's what Satellite needs. If you have questions on the 'why' for that, I suppose you should talk to loving RedHat. Otherwise, I'm not going to spend time justifying the operation of one of our core systems to an intern that walked in knowing gently caress-all about our environment.

xsf, apologies for the barrage of loving stupid questions you're going to get hit with.

I don’t own any on-prem resources, so I just don’t ask infosec before I do anything. It’s a great relationship.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

xsf421 posted:

I don’t own any on-prem resources, so I just don’t ask infosec before I do anything. It’s a great relationship.

Well, you're not who I thought you were, then, lol.

This poo poo is just loving stupid, though.

I'm at the point in my career that I have no fucks to give, so I threw down the gauntlet of "This is what I need, this is what they told me to request. If you can't get the approval by the end of the day, let me know so I can escalate. (unsaid: Because gently caress you if you hold up progress on our core business system)"

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

As a security puke himself, just email back with this link (with no explanation) and escalate if they don't agree: https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-us/red_hat_satellite/5.6/html/installation_guide/sect-installation_guide-additional_requirements

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
What ports are the CDN urls connecting on? That's the only thing I can think he'd push back on if he wants to dig in.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Here's my thing to InfoSec:

Satellite does thing.

I have servers on a DMZ that need thing Satellite does. Satellite has a capsule specifically for servicing DMZs.

Make work pls.

I don't give a gently caress WHY Satellite needs those ports. That's for people to yell at RedHat about. The fact that they're yelling "security!" while blocking the main thing I need for additional security is pretty par for the course.

I just said gently caress it and looped in my TL to escalate because I ran out of fucks years ago.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

AlexDeGruven posted:

Here's my thing to InfoSec:

Satellite does thing.

I have servers on a DMZ that need thing Satellite does. Satellite has a capsule specifically for servicing DMZs.

Make work pls.

I don't give a gently caress WHY Satellite needs those ports. That's for people to yell at RedHat about. The fact that they're yelling "security!" while blocking the main thing I need for additional security is pretty par for the course.

I just said gently caress it and looped in my TL to escalate because I ran out of fucks years ago.

Set up netcat to bind to all those ports and dump the traffic into a socks proxy, which is wrapped by stunnel, to shuttle the traffic from a jump box on a random VPS. Do it right and he will only see 443 traffic on his network going to your jump box.

Methanar fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Oct 30, 2019

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
"We're decomming Tel Aviv site 1 in December, so we need to make sure Tel Aviv site 2 is able to image now, because we're about to also open Tel Aviv site 3 about the same time as we decomm site 1."
"Okay, put a server up in the site 2 data center and let me know when I can configure it."

It's now been 3 days of getting on a call at 8am my time (the first call, on Monday, lasted until 12:30pm), only to find out someone has turbofucked the network or the server config on some level and nothing boots. Today's fresh, hot fuckery: I asked them to clone site 1's known-good server to site 2's data center. I then found out that the file transfer stalled at 46%, so the guy doing the cloning...decided to just clone it onto the site 1 data center to save time.

He's currently moving it to site 2, and I just had to take a walk because I was halfway to the window with my laptop before my better judgement kicked in and told me, no dude, don't huck your Surface down 5 stories onto the pavement, that's not gonna help things.

When my colleague tried to talk the on-site analyst thru using an offline imaging via USB method, on-site analyst basically responded with this:

(Which, incidentally, is also printed out on my boss's cube wall, next to a stuffed KC Green dog.)

Oh, and site 1 tried to image today. Turns out the network guy failed to turn their server back on after he took it down to clone it.

They did the same thing a couple weeks ago when they had to clone Singapore over to Banagalore. Bangaluru? Is that officially changed yet?

Also got 3 hours of overtime last week when a guy in Sydney frantically called me about a laptop that wouldn't PXE boot. Turns out he forgot to do the part of his job where he makes sure it's whitelisted to connect to the network before imaging.

Send help, I'm within a few more headaches of emptying my apartment's contents onto the lawn and moving to Montana to raise sheep in the mountains.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
e; drat empyquote button :argh:

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

An email came in from one of my colleagues, asking for help deleting a computer object from AD. We told him to run ADUC as admin; the error he was getting was because he'd opened ADUC with his normal account

He replied that to do that, he has to reboot his computer (what), and then log in as his admin account (WHAT).

I told him to hold CTRL+SHIFT when clicking on the icon for ADUC, or right-click and run as admin. He asked if he had to do that all the time...yes. Yes you do.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

dragonshardz posted:

An email came in from one of my colleagues, asking for help deleting a computer object from AD. We told him to run ADUC as admin; the error he was getting was because he'd opened ADUC with his normal account

He replied that to do that, he has to reboot his computer (what), and then log in as his admin account (WHAT).

I told him to hold CTRL+SHIFT when clicking on the icon for ADUC, or right-click and run as admin. He asked if he had to do that all the time...yes. Yes you do.

No, you can change the shortcut properties to always elevate.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read

The Fool posted:

No, you can change the shortcut properties to always elevate.

Are we talking a separate privileged account? Because then your’d need to do the ‘run as other user’ option.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Or just select 'Switch User' from the Start Menu, admin login, run ADUC then switch back without interruption to whatever he has open.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

Are we talking a separate privileged account? Because then your’d need to do the ‘run as other user’ option.

Having it run as admin will prompt to enter admin creds, or another user that has admin creds.

I do the exact thing opening up AD apps every day. Our department has 2 domain accounts, one being an admin but lol at having to switch users to just use AD

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

I am, and you don’t.

If you are running as an unprivileged account you will get prompted for a username and password for a privileged account.

cage-free egghead posted:

lol at having to switch users to just use AD

This

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I can think of multiple workarounds that don't involve just giving his normal account the permissionsof the adming account and they are all varying levels of stupid. The least stupid is probably having a VM somewhere that you login to as an admin via RDP session which everyone uses for AD admin tasks.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Arquinsiel posted:

I can think of multiple workarounds that don't involve just giving his normal account the permissionsof the adming account and they are all varying levels of stupid. The least stupid is probably having a VM somewhere that you login to as an admin via RDP session which everyone uses for AD admin tasks.
Being in the first job where I've used jumpboxes, this is the correct answer.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Arquinsiel posted:

Or you can just use your domain admin credentials because it's not ridiculous to have both a user account and admin account for each IT staff.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
I set up our service desk with the proper delegated access to our employee OU, and they run-as mmc with their admin accounts to do what they need to do. After talking to some of the ignite tech people, I’m very interested in switching their processes to use the window admin center gateway, there is definitely some opportunity there to streamline their work.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

lol at having to switch users to just use AD

I have a separate account and card just for logging in to Solarwinds and Ansible Tower. It's beyond dumb.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

We have a domain admin account for each tech in addition to our normal non-admin accounts.

I'm telling him to launch ADUC with elevation, which lets him gently caress about in AD without swapping accounts or apparently loving rebooting every time he's switched accounts today.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Or you can just use your domain admin credentials because it's not ridiculous to have both a user account and admin account for each IT staff.
But then he'll have to turn off the computer to check his email!

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Ugh, technology solutions for policy problems piss me off to no end.

Especially because most of the time, those technology solutions require policies.

Ex: We all have 5 accounts. Our main one, three others that are variations, and the old standard elevation account. There's one for non-prod, prod, read-only, and prod.

Prod has essentially admin everywhere we need to log in, so outside of our normal login, guess which one everyone uses everywhere (whether it's prod or non-prod)?

The read-only one is the one that cracks me up the most. The person who created it literally said "You can log in to see what's going on with that account. And if you need to fix something, you can log out and back in with your elevated privileges".

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Someone e-mailed me a screenshot of an expired SSL cert. I sat there clicking the "close" button in the screenshot and wondered why it wasn't closing.

It's me. I'm the idiot user.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Renegret posted:

Someone e-mailed me a screenshot of an expired SSL cert. I sat there clicking the "close" button in the screenshot and wondered why it wasn't closing.

It's me. I'm the idiot user.

I've caught myself watching LPs of games I've played personally and trying to change the camera angle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

iospace posted:

I've caught myself watching LPs of games I've played personally and trying to change the camera angle.

My most embarrassing LP moment was a video game that used a stock alarm sound that happened to be the same sound effect for some poo poo rear end MMO I was playing at the time.

It made me jump up and slam the self heal button on my keyboard before I could register what happened.