Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

I made a robot!
https://imgur.com/a/HmsiVEk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Nice.

I built that one too. A lot of stickers, and Thunder Gridman was kind of unstable, but overall they're pretty neat.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Still waiting for someone to make a version of Full-Powered Gridman that isn't a fiddly mess.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

The Hello Kitty kit is pretty boring but my god that sprue

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Gripweed posted:

The Hello Kitty kit is pretty boring but my god that sprue

Someone clearly had a LOT of fun designing that one.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Ignimbrite posted:

*heavy breathing*

You Can(not) pre-order fast enough.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

Nice.

I built that one too. A lot of stickers, and Thunder Gridman was kind of unstable, but overall they're pretty neat.

There's no form of this robot called thunder gridman though?

BadMedic
Jul 22, 2007

I've never actually seen him heal anybody.
Pillbug

How do you pre-order it? I'm not familiar with the site, and I don't see a purchase button.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

Nice.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

Nice.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Thanks SA

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

BadMedic posted:

How do you pre-order it? I'm not familiar with the site, and I don't see a purchase button.

You can't purchase direct from the bandai site, you just have to wait until it comes up for preorder on retail sites.

Some sites are already sold out on preorders though.

RillAkBea fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Nov 2, 2019

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Droyer posted:

I'm guessing he doesn't know any better and thinks Full Powered = Thunder with new design.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

TaurusOxford posted:

I'm guessing he doesn't know any better and thinks Full Powered = Thunder with new design.

Less doesn't know better, more "Was tired and not remembering combination names right", but yeah. I meant Full Powered.

JoeGlassJAw
Apr 9, 2010

BadMedic posted:

RillAkBea posted:

You can't purchase direct from the bandai site, you just have to wait until it comes up for preorder on retail sites.

Some sites are already sold out on preorders though.

HLJ's still got em https://www.hlj.com/rg-all-purpose-humanoid-decisive-battle-weapon-artificial-human-evangelion-unit-01-dx-transporter-set-bans59015

maninthesuit
Jul 13, 2017
It still amuses me that Full-powered Gridman never actually was full-powered, or even the full-powered version of full-powered Gridman.

I made a Sarah this week. She's cute, even if she has trouble manhandling a slightly heavy mace and I had to drop her down so I could use the back of the dress as a third leg.

Accessories are sparse. Two sets of hands, 1 for holding and 1 with open palms for bird-flapping poses. Two sets of frontal hair, 1 hairy and 1 that has a camera and antenna. Two faces, 1 fleshy and 1 robot. 2 sets of shoulders and matching armpits. Like the face, 1 fleshy and 1 that's white for robot-mode. It also comes with a very basic stand that plugs into the back of her dress, but it's too tall for standing poses.

Converting Sarah from doll to full robot is easy enough. Just pop off the forward hair pieces to swap out the face, and slap in the other set of shoulders. To get the armpits replaced however, you need to dismantle the entire torso and screw that. It's not hard, but it's the kind of thing that makes it far too easy to damage the model. So I just keep it in full-robot form. It's the cuter one anyway.

The focal point of the model I'd say would be the dress. Without it, Sarah is very thin. She's taller than most 1/144 kits of say RX78 or GMs, but there is no bulk whatsoever without the help of the big dress. Ironically however, I think that the dress is also the weakest part of the kit. The way it plugs into the body is all through non-standard rectangular ports for front and back (so good-bye easy customization), and the side-pieces aren't even stuck in a proper socket, so much as squeezed into a bowl-shaped indentation in the waist with the help of the pelvis section. What I'm saying is, it all falls off too easily. Which is double bad because with the stand plugging into the back-part of the dress instead of the body, it's completely reliant on that one port to keep it from just falling off. And while I'm on the subject of falling off, the head keeps popping off when I try to turn it and the hands aren't as tight in the wrists as I'd like either.

The dress is made of two layers, a purple under-layer and a white upper-layer. The white layer can hinge outward which looks nice but again, there are no ports hidden underneath so the white pieces don't have anything to securely connect with the purple pieces and just kind of lay on top. It also destroyed my plans of adding wings.

The specs in the manual are amazing by the way. In a stupid way. There are little flowers scattered throughout the pages for one, but it's the page that usually describes the weapons etc. that really gave me a chuckle.
- Her arms can handle the Unicorn's beam magnum. (unlike that chunky big gundam recently with a full set of spare arms.) However, Sarah is afraid of guns so she doesn't use them.
- Her sensors can detect any sign of hesitation! (in case she ever gets over her fear of guns, I suppose)
- Her dress may or may not be capable of releasing a Moonlight Butterfly. But if it does, it would literally break the game (again), so this hypothetical Moonlight Butterfly is tuned down if it hypothetically exists.
- The secret behind her ability to move. (Story-wise, Sarah is a 1/1 scale tiny robot.) Is it tiny servos? Nope, it's the attraction and repulsion of air molecules around her. Don't ask me how that works cause I don't even know what I'm supposed to imagine with that explanation. Something like Magnets repelling each other?

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

I'm pretty sure Sarah is that compulsive liar kind of friend everybody has at some point.

"I can totally handle the beam magnum. What? Right now? Er, I can't, I'm uh.. afraid of guns, yeah that's it."

"Oh yeah I could release the moonlight butterfly right now if I wanted to but I can't because it would break everything."

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

RillAkBea posted:

I'm pretty sure Sarah is that compulsive liar kind of friend everybody has at some point.

"I can totally handle the beam magnum. What? Right now? Er, I can't, I'm uh.. afraid of guns, yeah that's it."

"Oh yeah I could release the moonlight butterfly right now if I wanted to but I can't because it would break everything."

Pictured:

Sarah

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

RillAkBea posted:

To be fair, she breaks the game just by being in it because she eats ever scrap of active memory in the game's cloud hardware.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
I totally forgot this was out, but my wife spotted it whilst out the other day.

Hopefully someone will do a translation.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
I wonder if it's any good

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
Who knows! Not me that's for sure!

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth
Finally started work on my RG Sazabi, and I've got to say I'm really liking not have the premolded inner frames. It's making the build much more enjoyable than previous RGs, and it actually feels more sturdy. I can't wait to see this old girl when she's finished.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Paper Kaiju posted:

Finally started work on my RG Sazabi, and I've got to say I'm really liking not have the premolded inner frames. It's making the build much more enjoyable than previous RGs, and it actually feels more sturdy. I can't wait to see this old girl when she's finished.

I had that same thought with the RX-93. It really feels like a 1/144 MG now in that aspect, with a few key joints premade, like the funnels for the Nu.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

iospace posted:

I had that same thought with the RX-93. It really feels like a 1/144 MG now in that aspect, with a few key joints premade, like the funnels for the Nu.

Well I've got that one in my queue, so I'll be looking forward to that!

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
I'm sorry, what? I've never built a RG before- are you saying the whole kit was like the PG hands or something?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Yawgmoft posted:

I'm sorry, what? I've never built a RG before- are you saying the whole kit was like the PG hands or something?

Sort of.

There's a runner with the skeleton for most of them, and the parts for that are mostly built from the start, with minimal assembly required.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

chiasaur11 posted:

Sort of.

There's a runner with the skeleton for most of them, and the parts for that are mostly built from the start, with minimal assembly required.

To expand on this, the B runner in an RG kit is the "Advanced MS Joint" runner.

Here's the runner for the RX-78-2:

I believe it's:
legs - chest* - arms
<blank> - hips - <blank>
no clue - hands** - feet

*Subs for the core fighter
**The hands suck, by the way.

The moving joints are pre-assembled, and will slide, causing the armor to slide with it. If you just put those pieces together, you get this:

A very skeletal underframe, but no PC joints.

Compare to the B runner from the RX-93:

Which are only for the funnels.

For what it's worth, here's the underframe of the RG RX-93

Definitely more analogous to an MG's underframe as opposed to the more skeletal underframe from the RX-78-2. They also ditched the crappy rear end hands, thank the gods.

(All images from dalong.net)

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
Yeah the advance joints are an excellent definition of being an amazingly detailed manufacturing process, but ultimately limits the model to being very finicky and fragile.

Not to say that they are incredible the first time you build them.

I was laughing at how incredibly complex it was and fun to build, but theres just no strength in the joints if you a posing without a stand.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
So far I've enjoyed the few RGs I've done, but yeah, those joints are finicky as gently caress. Especially trying to figure out which parts you should and shouldn't clip, and which thing rotates which direction.. It was kind of fun to do stupid poo poo like this with my Zero, though..

Not that you can't do that with an MG kit or anything else with a decent frame, but it just looks so derpy with that skinny-rear end skeleton there. :3:

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
Huh. That's really interesting, I had no idea.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

the fact that rg's are more like mini mg's now is even more terrifying to me, since I'm terrible at losing parts to begin with and I'm having nightmares about me constantly looking for a part that flew away or something.

Monaghan fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Nov 5, 2019

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
It's a little too rich for my tastes ($270 USD), but apparently Bluefin has some Metal Build (Soul Blue ver.) Strike Freedoms available:

https://www.bluefinbrands.com/strike-freedom-gundam-soul-blue-ver-gundam-seed-destiny-bandai-metal-build-bas55162.html

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Monaghan posted:

the fact that rg's are more like mini mg's now is even more terrifying to me, since I'm terrible at losing parts to begin with and I'm having nightmares about me constantly looking for a part that flew away or something.

Yep. I'm missing the forehead gem for the Sazabi Ver Ka, one of the backpack covers on the HG Barbatos and the V fin off the MG qan-t.

Although I think I know where the latter is, it's just moving stuff to get to it.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Did anyone get any of those 30 Minute Mission kits? It looks like they've finally started putting out slightly more interesting designs:

I still hate the overall Bionicle aesthetic of the line, though. I wish they'd put more effort into designing the torso so the models didn't look like toys.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
I picked up an Alto, with the expansion kits they look super nice, just a shame that all the flight extension kits weren't released at launch, not due til 2020.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Lemon-Lime posted:

Did anyone get any of those 30 Minute Mission kits? It looks like they've finally started putting out slightly more interesting designs:

I still hate the overall Bionicle aesthetic of the line, though. I wish they'd put more effort into designing the torso so the models didn't look like toys.

They announced a bunch of modified ones like that. Same core kits, but with unique add-ons included rather than sold separately.

Basically, the cores aren't meant to be all that interesting, since they're designed for modularity. If the base kit has too strong a style, it's harder to make it into something new.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

That aquatic add on set will revolutionize aquatic MS kitbashes

Gripweed fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Nov 6, 2019

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
I think the only piece I've lost so far is one of the clear blue RG Build Strike shoulder inserts.

Now, pieces that I've accidentally destroyed.... several more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Lupine
Feb 18, 2011

all the things you said
running through my head
I don't remember losing pieces but I've lost sticker sheets. Since I don't use most of my decals, especially sticker decals, I don't much care. However, losing the foil sheet for the MG Turn X really sucks. Still haven't found a way to buy a replacement.