Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

If you want zero wind you'll have to get the granddad screen I'm afraid, the standard ones are more about styling than anything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Slavvy posted:

If you want zero wind you'll have to get the granddad screen I'm afraid, the standard ones are more about styling than anything else.

I thought that might be the case, and I'm okay with going full king-of-the-road space shuttle bike with lower fairings and a bubble screen when I go long distances, I just figured based on others' reviews that the front fairing would be more of a cowcatcher for wind.

Man that's just a whole look right there.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Strife posted:

I thought that might be the case, and I'm okay with going full king-of-the-road space shuttle bike with lower fairings and a bubble screen when I go long distances, I just figured based on others' reviews that the front fairing would be more of a cowcatcher for wind.

Eh, I don't think tall fixed screens make a noticeable difference to handling, at least not compared to similarly sized handlebar mounted ones.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

They do add approximately 3 decades to your age though, it'll push you right out of the dad zone and straight into retiree-with-an-rv territory.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?
I'm already walking with a cane, I might as well just embrace grandpa-ism.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I hear Samsung are selling full body exoskeletons that'll let you walk even if your legs completely don't work, for the low low price of a brand new goldwing.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Renaissance Robot posted:

I hear Samsung are selling full body exoskeletons that'll let you walk even if your legs completely don't work, for the low low price of a brand new goldwing.

Granddad can't walk back from the shops because a firmware update bricked his legs.

Nana burst into flame from a faulty battery pack.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

All steps (heh) on the road to the 6 million dollar man. Bring on the cyberpunk future. Better than the climate apocalypse future we're looking at.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

dema
Aug 13, 2006

MomJeans420 posted:

Granted I don't have a touring bike, but even raising my clip-ons 1.5", I pretty much have to take a break at 100 miles. Around 300 miles per day is the max for what I'll do, and I'm pretty beat up after that. Although usually that 300 miles is LA to San Diego and back, so figure you're splitting lanes in horrible traffic for huge portions of that. Probably a lot easier on empty roads in the middle of nowhere.

Yeah, traffic makes a big difference.

I've got Helibars on my CBR1000RR and have done just under 500 miles in a day without issue. Though, butt was getting pretty tired. Had an audio book and it was super scenic, two lane rural highways.

dema fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Oct 17, 2019

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I used a tall screen exactly once, on the Wee. Bought it and put it on in the parking lot. Went and saw a movie after work. When I got out, it was drizzling rain. Found out that while I can wipe the rain off my faceshield without stopping, it's a lot harder to do that to a windscreen. Swapped it back out and held onto it until I sold the bike.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
You're supposed to be able to peek over a tall windshield. If you can't you're meant to remount or cut it lower.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Phy posted:

I used a tall screen exactly once, on the Wee. Bought it and put it on in the parking lot. Went and saw a movie after work. When I got out, it was drizzling rain. Found out that while I can wipe the rain off my faceshield without stopping, it's a lot harder to do that to a windscreen. Swapped it back out and held onto it until I sold the bike.

What if you just, like, Rain-X the absolute poo poo out of it?

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Looking at the weather report, probably end of season. At least as far as riding in the mountains on a sport bike goes.

mulligan
Jul 4, 2008

I typed random avatar and this happened.

dema posted:

Looking at the weather report, probably end of season. At least as far as riding in the mountains on a sport bike goes.

What crisp picture? Camera or phone?

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost

dema posted:

I can’t remember exactly where you moved to in CO but I think it was Denver. There are going to be plenty of dry sunny days all through winter, but the cold makes it a chore sometimes. I definitely don’t go into the mountains though, until mid spring. Take it easy and watch for sand when you do ride.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Yeah, I'm not too into riding around town though. I work downtown and it's easier and just as fast to ride my bicycle.

Not being able to split lanes makes me sad.

mulligan posted:

What crisp picture? Camera or phone?

New iPhone in 2x mode. Guess that's like 50mm equiv. I've actually been using the new WA camera a bunch. It's fun.

And a dog picture:

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

:siren::siren::siren: OH MY GOD I'M A MOTORCYCLIST AGAIN :siren::siren::siren:

The dealer took it out of the crate this morning, I rode it home after lunch. Ten and a half years since my '99 GS500 got wrecked and six days after re-taking the MSF course. Apologies in advance for making GBS threads up CA with inane questions for the next month or so.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

You have chosen extremely wisely.

DearSirXNORMadam
Aug 1, 2009
i will literally fite u

I tapped my nose into someone's bumper, and it turns out the hanger for the front fairing is really weak on these bikes, so my side fairings broke because the little sheetmetal ear that was holding everything together bent, sorry mr kia. :(

(and yes, the turn signals are taped on)

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Mirconium posted:

i will literally fite u

I tapped my nose into someone's bumper, and it turns out the hanger for the front fairing is really weak on these bikes, so my side fairings broke because the little sheetmetal ear that was holding everything together bent, sorry mr kia. :(

(and yes, the turn signals are taped on)

This poo poo right here this is real, this is street, this speaks to me. It's like I've met you a thousand times.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Bought from an archaeologist 👌

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

That's loving clean. I've still got a couple dozen N500 pictures on my hard drive from ten yeras ago and they all look way worse than that.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

:wow:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

:drat:

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
That is a well-preserved fossil 👍

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
That's insanely mint. How's the mechanicals after sitting for so long?

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Rode it home. Needs a carb clean and tires (otw). Blinker’s punched thru, but otherwise fuckin mint. I don’t even know what to do with it, but it was mad cheap and I have no self control.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

How old are the tyres? Oil change and basic service would probably be a good idea at least.

Edit: nm misread your post.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

I’m a mechanic so no worries on the wrenching to do list👌just trying to thinkof what to do with it. Could flip it in spring, but it’s mad quiet so I can also use it to commute for my 3am shift without waking the whole hood up 🤔🤔 it’s too nice to be a ratbike or chopped up...

M42 fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Nov 6, 2019

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Man that's clean! Nice find M42.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
What kind of mechanic works at 3:00 a.m. shift?

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Sorry, was* a powersports mechanic for a few years till just recently. I’d rather take the 2am wakeup than work at a shop again 😂

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

http://imgur.com/gallery/T4R2kEK

So my old 2001 XVS650 V Star kicked the bucket last week after 7 years and almost 35k miles. So since I just turned 40, my brother decided to sell me his 2014 Honda NC700 at a loss. All I had to do was take a bus from southern Louisiana to western Missouri. I figured it was time to stop playing Mad Max and get a bike that I don't have to worry about getting stuck on the side of the road with in the middle of nowhere. Again. For the umpteenth time.

It's super weird for me. I'm used to a heavy, low rolling recliner that can barely hit 90 mph. This bike is going to get me into trouble. I know it's not a fast bike by any means, but holy crap, it's fast to me. Now I just have to wait out a little snow and ride it home. I'm not used to the standard riding position, or the tall height of the bike, or the acceleration. Or the fact that I suddenly find myself going 50 miles per hour over the speed limit without noticing. I think I'm going to like this bike. A lot.

E: sorry, my bbcode skills apparently suck and I couldn't figure out how to embed the image.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Mushika posted:

http://imgur.com/gallery/T4R2kEK

So my old 2001 XVS650 V Star kicked the bucket last week after 7 years and almost 35k miles. So since I just turned 40, my brother decided to sell me his 2014 Honda NC700 at a loss. All I had to do was take a bus from southern Louisiana to western Missouri. I figured it was time to stop playing Mad Max and get a bike that I don't have to worry about getting stuck on the side of the road with in the middle of nowhere. Again. For the umpteenth time.

It's super weird for me. I'm used to a heavy, low rolling recliner that can barely hit 90 mph. This bike is going to get me into trouble. I know it's not a fast bike by any means, but holy crap, it's fast to me. Now I just have to wait out a little snow and ride it home. I'm not used to the standard riding position, or the tall height of the bike, or the acceleration. Or the fact that I suddenly find myself going 50 miles per hour over the speed limit without noticing. I think I'm going to like this bike. A lot.

E: sorry, my bbcode skills apparently suck and I couldn't figure out how to embed the image.

This post demonstrates really well why you shouldn't really start on a cruiser, because you won't know what you're missing out on and might end up asking when the fun part is supposed to happen, not to mention the really limited scope for improving skills.

Cause the nc700 is super competent, practical and well built but also like, devastatingly lackluster (on purpose, to attract car people) compared to honestly pretty much anything else.

Your head will physically explode if you ride a decent naked like an MT or SV :)

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I found the NC700 to be even more boring than a KLR650 but that point about acceleration you didn't realize was happening is the drat truth. I took my father in law's out for a ride and was doing 60 in my neighborhood after the second turn because I couldn't feel or hear the acceleration (especially with an old man windshield).
I'm not trying to poo poo on your choice of bike, because I'd for sure be all over it if I wanted to do a lot of long days back to back, or interstate, or otherwise long high speed miles. Or every day commuting in a city. I never understood why Hondas are compared to appliances till riding that bike. I bet it feels like straight up luxury after a V Star.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Mushika posted:

So my old 2001 XVS650 V Star kicked the bucket last week after 7 years and almost 35k miles.

Do you mind if I ask, what killed the vstar? 35kmiles seems pretty young, unless it already had a bunch and that's what you added to it.

(bike longevity is on my mind cause my current ride is also An Old. It could buy booze in every province in Canada, and next year in the States too)

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

I thought it was a vacuum seal problem and was getting too much air in the mix, but after working on it for a week, I think it may be electrical. Also, I'm just done. I've put so much work into that bike. I've learned a great deal doing it, but I just don't have the time or energy anymore. New tank, drive shaft, final gearing assembly, all the fuel lines and wiring harness and turn signals and steering column stop welding and forks and risers and carbs and oh god I can't even remember what else. I just want a bike that works. I realized "but it runs great!" hasn't been true for years now. I had to get over my hangups about styling, but I really just don't care about that much anymore. I need something for both city commuting and long distance riding and this seems to be a great bike for that.

Also, I'm a pretty boring rider, as they come. So the NC700 is a goddamn blast for me. I'm all about practicality and comfort and this thing delivers. I sound like a dumb advertisement, but I'm still giddy about it. I'm glad I had the experience I did with the V Star, but this is a huge step up.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
In case you're wondering, it's a stator. About $150 in parts and a day of work to replace by yourself. In fact, I'm doing mine now! Common problem as it turns out. Between the 650 and 1100, I'm pretty much done with the Yamaha cruisers. They nice when they work, but the repairs are a little too frequent for a Japanese bike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

I'm an idiot but whatever.

e: I thought the stator and the pickup coil were the same unit on the V Star but apparently not.Changing the pickup coil is one of the few things I haven't done myself and had a shop do.

I am probably still an idiot, however

Mushika fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Nov 7, 2019