Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Out on the town having the time of my life with a bunch of Dragons. They're all just out of frame, flying around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

honestly if they went full on camp 80s style with it i’d be 100% on board

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Just spend the money upfront and build three life sized practical effect dragons and you can reuse them for all the follow up series as well! And then when Disney buys HBO they can use them as decorations for their Bobby B's Wacky Flagon FlumeTM ride.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Paterson Joseph as Aegon II, Regina King as Rhaenyra Targaryen, Kevin Hart as Mushroom

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

TK-42-1 posted:

honestly if they went full on camp 80s style with it i’d be 100% on board

Get Don Coscarelli to do the show.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013
This show won't make it past the first season.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

TommyGun85 posted:

It's BSG/Caprica all over again. The mothership show poo poo the bed coming in for a landing and destroyed all interest and good will for any follow up projects so the spin off prequel was dead in its crib and quickly forgotten about.

Fhate
Feb 15, 2007

"Appended to its own quotation is false" appended to its own quotation is false.

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Cannot wait to see what this show does with more dragons and less money for them.

The dragons will all be muppets. The role of Aegon I will be played by Kermit. Rhaenys and Visenya will be played by Miss Piggy and Gonzo.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Fhate posted:

The dragons will all be muppets. The role of Aegon I will be played by Kermit. Rhaenys and Visenya will be played by Miss Piggy and Gonzo.

Dark Crystal s2 needs some muppet dragons.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Even if interest in a prequel was high and there was a halfway decent premise why the gently caress would HBO ever want to pay some fat lazy gently caress who left them high and dry and couldn't even come up with a decent ending in 8+ years and essentially vouched for 2 morons who let the guy who gets their coffee pen scripts. He's clearly never going to write again so just use a generic fantasyesque setting and hire real writers who know how to complete a story and never worry about paying that 7 ton fat bitch slob another royalty check ever again.

edit: you could even hire Dave Hill to wash the toilets and use "From the writer of the hit show Game of Thrones" to draw in the soccer moms and nfl bros.

banned from Starbucks fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Oct 31, 2019

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
I'd like to think the shitshow ending of GoT also resulted in this:
https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/kingkiller-chronicle-series-showtime-lionsgate-1203337166/

There aren't enough monkey's paws to make a Kingkiller TV series good because holy hell is the source material terrible.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
No one on Earth can sit through a "I'm the greatest at everything and so perfect all the time" escapist fantasy because those (especially Kingkiller and Ender's Game) are specifically made for weirdo shut-in sociopaths with delusions of grandeur.

It works as self-insert literature but never translates to screen.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Evil Fluffy posted:

I'd like to think the shitshow ending of GoT also resulted in this:
https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/kingkiller-chronicle-series-showtime-lionsgate-1203337166/

There aren't enough monkey's paws to make a Kingkiller TV series good because holy hell is the source material terrible.

Funny, you'd have thought Routhfuss going "The three 800+ page books I've taken nearly fifteen years to write are merely the prologue to the story I really want to tell some day" in an interview a year or so ago would been a big enough torpedo to sink the project then and there.

RIP to that perma'd guy who stalked this thread occasionally and had a weird bug up his rear end about Rothfuss. Wherever he is right now I hope he's attempting to feel an emotion that vaguely resembles mild satisfaction.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

A HORNY SWEARENGEN posted:

No one on Earth can sit through a "I'm the greatest at everything and so perfect all the time" escapist fantasy because those (especially Kingkiller and Ender's Game) are specifically made for weirdo shut-in sociopaths with delusions of grandeur.

This describes almost every Steven Seagal movie in the 80s and 90s.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

chaosapiant posted:

This describes almost every Steven Seagal movie in the 80s and 90s.

Vanity projects are different. Those can sometimes be fun.

See: mission impossible 3-6, Fast/Furious 4-8, Commando, etc

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I still don't understand how people can read Ender's Game and think that the stuff that happens is presented as a good thing.

Given Orson Scott Card's politics though I think he was serious.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

nine-gear crow posted:

RIP to that perma'd guy who stalked this thread occasionally and had a weird bug up his rear end about Rothfuss. Wherever he is right now I hope he's attempting to feel an emotion that vaguely resembles mild satisfaction.

BotL was the worst.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

hobbesmaster posted:

I still don't understand how people can read Ender's Game and think that the stuff that happens is presented as a good thing.

Given Orson Scott Card's politics though I think he was serious.

Probably because most people reading Enders game are 12 year old nerds who heavily ID with Ender?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

latinotwink1997 posted:

BotL was the worst.

His 20000 word take down of the first book was pretty fun though. And it got me to read Baudolino, which was good.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

banned from Starbucks posted:

This year Dave Hill has been given a new star wars trilogy.

i would feel vindicated if dave hill ended up having a successful career

benioff/weiss holding him back all along etc etc

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
he's writing for the Wheel of Time show

apologies to Wheel of Time fans

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Solice Kirsk posted:

His 20000 word take down of the first book was pretty fun though. And it got me to read Baudolino, which was good.

So he wrote roughly about as many words as the book contained. Considering how lovely that book was, this is kinda obsessive.

Single and LOVING IT
Apr 4, 2004
The monkeys are coming. . .
I don't understand why HBO wouldn't be pushing for a Dunk and Egg series. It seems perfect to have those two wandering around the pre-GOT world to show big historical moments AND you're not tied to a particular region.

Each season a nice self-contained story along with a lot of freedom to go wherever they want.

Or hell, if they dont want to be bound by existing characters, just do a Hedge knight series of basically the same thing, just not Dunk and Egg.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Single and LOVING IT posted:

I don't understand why HBO wouldn't be pushing for a Dunk and Egg series. It seems perfect to have those two wandering around the pre-GOT world to show big historical moments AND you're not tied to a particular region.

GRRM said in his blog about this Targ show that the guy running it initially wanted to do Dunk and Egg, but that he doesn't want that being adapted until he's written more stories about them. So there will never be a Dunk and Egg series.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Box of Bunnies posted:

GRRM said in his blog about this Targ show that the guy running it initially wanted to do Dunk and Egg, but that he doesn't want that being adapted until he's written more stories about them. So there will never be a Dunk and Egg series.

Single and LOVING IT
Apr 4, 2004
The monkeys are coming. . .

Box of Bunnies posted:

What an absolute fucker.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

Single and LOVING IT posted:

What an absolute fucker.

As sure as the sunrise,absolute fuckery

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

That describes a not-insignificant portion of Donald Trump's supporters and Kingkiller diehards.

Cardiac posted:

So he wrote roughly about as many words as the book contained. Considering how lovely that book was, this is kinda obsessive.

Obsessive is accurate.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

TommyGun85 posted:

as much as i liked fire and blood(i am a sucker for in universe historical texts and plus i like the half a chapter devoted about arguing about primary source veracity. i feel mixed on how this would be a pulled off as a show. i assume they are starting with aegon 1 and ending with aegon the 3rd. but while alot of it is a interesting read. i feel like it would be hard to turn into a show. i mean i wish them luck to do it.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Nov 2, 2019

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Dapper_Swindler posted:

as much as i liked fire and blood(i am a sucker for in universe historical texts and plus i like the half a chapter devoted about arguing about primary source veracity. i feel mixed on how this would be a pulled off as a show. i assume they are starting with aegon 1 and ending with aegon the 3rd. but while alot of it is a interesting read. i feel like it would be hard to turn into a show. i mean i wish them luck to do it.

It's easier than a Silmarillion show.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I thought they were doing the dance of dragons? That seems like a solid enough concept for a tv series.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

MrFlibble posted:

I thought they were doing the dance of dragons? That seems like a solid enough concept for a tv series.

thats what it seems like. but it sounds like they might be doing the whole book or at least more than just the dance of dragons. i mean i am fine with whatever. i like the dance of dragons because it kinda captures alot of what i like about thrones in general. people getting broken by the wheel of history and feudalism and and it all ends in tears. like the winner is a broken kid who sees his mom get eaten alive and end up being mentally unwell and suffering from super ptsd for the rest of his days and the guy that technically won the war is a broken wreck of man whose entire family is mostly dead and he becomes a miserable monster who gets quietly killed by his own men. all the people involved in the war, even the various good people, lose something or everything and the dynasty's days are numbered because they couldnt work poo poo out.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Pretty harsh assessment of Ender's Game. I loved reading it when I was younger - was one of my favorite books, and one that could be recommended to someone that wasn't necessarily into sci-fi. It's a bit dated and cringey these days for sure. But "specifically made for weirdo shut in sociopaths"? cmon. really?

I'd also disagree that no one can sit through that type of movie . "I'm the greatest at everything and so perfect all the time" escapist fantasy is alive and well in John Wick, Mission Impossible, James Bond, Harry Potter, Fast and Furious, Marvel/DC, and pretty much everything else that sells tickets in Hollywood. Ender's Game was just a poo poo movie is all. Card's anti-gay position was one of the many nails in the coffin of that movie's success. But the bottom line was it was a poorly made movie that was treated like an action movie, when it should have been more along the lines of a psychological thriller.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

The idea that a work of fiction is harmed by the protagonist being cool or awesome is weird, although they definitely need dramatic flaws and such.

Of course the real solution, as GRRM has learned, is not to write.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Dapper_Swindler posted:

thats what it seems like. but it sounds like they might be doing the whole book or at least more than just the dance of dragons. i mean i am fine with whatever. i like the dance of dragons because it kinda captures alot of what i like about thrones in general. people getting broken by the wheel of history and feudalism and and it all ends in tears. like the winner is a broken kid who sees his mom get eaten alive and end up being mentally unwell and suffering from super ptsd for the rest of his days and the guy that technically won the war is a broken wreck of man whose entire family is mostly dead and he becomes a miserable monster who gets quietly killed by his own men. all the people involved in the war, even the various good people, lose something or everything and the dynasty's days are numbered because they couldnt work poo poo out.
There are a few cool dragon fights in the middle of that war too except of course everyone dies, what a totally unpredictable GOT spoiler!
edit: although isn't one of the other survivor a targ girl(or a boy can't remember) who was taken hostage alongside her bother/sister by two criminals then spared after the criminal asked her/his mother who she wanted to keep alive and they obviously lied to the poor mother and killed the one she wanted to stay alive? or is it the same prince? What an happy family!

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Nov 6, 2019

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Toplowtech posted:

There are a few cool dragon fights in the middle of that war too except of course everyone dies, what a totally unpredictable GOT spoiler!
edit: although isn't one of the other survivor a targ girl(or a boy can't remember) who was taken hostage alongside her bother/sister by two criminals then spared after the criminal asked her/his mother who she wanted to keep alive and they obviously lied to the poor mother and killed the one she wanted to stay alive? or is it the same prince? What an happy family!

The other Targ son was ripped apart by a mob and the Targ daughter plunged to her death from the Red Keep after the war in a suspicious manner.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
Why are people using spoilers in this of all threads

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Spoiler tags should be a banable offense in here.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Toplowtech posted:

The other surviving prince survived as an hostage in the Free Cities with everyone believing him dead. He came back with a surprise Lysene wife and her family.

There was the cool moment on the bridge were the young King defies his Kingsguard to save his brother's wife.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trudis
Mar 23, 2008

This is the Dawning of the Age of Hilarious

Toplowtech posted:

You're thinking of the blood and cheese episode, and yeah, it was pretty hosed up.