Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Cigar Aficionado posted:

I thought the fight was anywhere from a draw to a Taylor win by a couple of points. I scored it 115-113 for Taylor; he was the bigger man and mostly dictated the fight. He also won all the mid rounds when he decided to get on his toes and actually box, so I'm not sure why he didn't do that more often. He did Prograis a favour by standing and trading for a lot of the fight, and he held his own there because he's a gigantic junior welterweight. He looked more than 2" taller than Prograis, and he had a 3" reach advantage as well. I would be interested to hear what the same day unofficial weigh in results were.

Not sure how tough it is for Prograis to make 140, but he should stay there if he can. He's not very big, and while he has good power, it's clearly not earth shattering and would lose quite a bit moving up to 147. Taylor could move up to 147, but hopefully not until after he fully unifies with Ramirez (assuming that is a fight that can be made). Hopefully that fights happens in 2020. Would be quite something to see the 140 pound division fully unified twice in 4~ years.

There's been a quite a lot of sneaky-big fights that have happened over the last couple months. I think the pound for pound situation should probably look something like this now:

1. Vasyl Lomachenko
2. Terence Crawford
3. Oleksandr Usyk
4. Naoya Inoue
5. Canelo Alvarez
6. Errol Spence
7. Gennady Golovkin
8. Mikey Garcia
9. Artur Beterbiev
10. Josh Taylor

after recent performances i'm inclined to but inoue / crawford at one and two (either order is fine). canelo to three if he fucks up kovalev on saturday. but yeah those are the contenders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Marching Powder posted:

after recent performances i'm inclined to but inoue / crawford at one and two (either order is fine). canelo to three if he fucks up kovalev on saturday. but yeah those are the contenders.

I think Crawford could be the best, but it's hard for me to justify the top spot over lomachenko for him with his current level of opposition atm.

Inoue is getting there sooner than later though.

I'd have to imagine Canelo beating Kovalev would put him at number one on a lot of lists. Maybe my own? (Probably not, I'm a hater)

Jump King fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Oct 29, 2019

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Lee wylie has a video up about Kovalev Ward; think I'm gonna catch this one at a sports bar.

Hasn't Kovalev looked bad lately? Any word on the state of his camp in the lead up to this fight?

Edit: Dazn Only? I better see if they're even going to be showing it.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Oct 29, 2019

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed

Jack B Nimble posted:

Lee wylie has a video up about Kovalev Ward; think I'm gonna catch this one at a sports bar.

Hasn't Kovalev looked bad lately? Any word on the state of his camp in the lead up to this fight?

Edit: Dazn Only? I better see if they're even going to be showing it.

He was basically left for dead after Eleider Alvarez knocked him out last year but seems better under Buddy McGirt who he worked with for the Alvarez rematch, the Anthony Yarde fight and now this. Kovalev does have a pending legal issue from an alleged assault on a woman in California that will be going to trial not long after the fight but if it's bothering him there's not much indication I can tell.

The fight will be carried by DAZN but they have a distribution partner for big events and this certainly would qualify so you may be in luck if you're near a bigger city. It's also being carried in movie theaters through Fathom Events

https://www.fathomevents.com/events/canelo-vs-kovalev

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Tyson Fury survived his wrestling endeavor without any reported injuries.

I'll try to get something written up for Canelo-Kovalev. For whatever reason I'm still fairly unexcited about the match though.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

The Ninth Layer posted:

Tyson Fury survived his wrestling endeavor without any reported injuries.

I'll try to get something written up for Canelo-Kovalev. For whatever reason I'm still fairly unexcited about the match though.

yeah i'm reasonably ambivalent too. mmm posted upstream that the win might catapult canelo to #1 p4p for him. i wouldn't go that far personally based purely on just how bad kovalev has looked recently against elite (and not elite) competition. the size difference though is kind of staggering so i'll definitely give him some props.

just looked at the odds and the bookies have kovalev hovering around +350. that to me sounds like a pretty loving good bet because washed as he is there will be a difference in size and power. that said though i can't see too many people givign him massive credit for this win.

all that said though, i'll probably watch it. for some reason, it really intrigues me. maybe because i haven't seen a jump like this in a while.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
I hope Kovalev knocks Canelo out cold. It would be good karma after Canelo has gotten every single benefit of the doubt (corruption) on the cards for his whole career.

Jascum
Sep 29, 2019

by Nyc_Tattoo
Post-Mayweather Canelo has been my favorite boxer the last couple years. I didn’t care for him much before that, but seeing him grow after that fight has been cool as hell. I hope he retires Kovalev.

Ca-nel-o!

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Cigar Aficionado posted:

I hope Kovalev knocks Canelo out cold. It would be good karma after Canelo has gotten every single benefit of the doubt (corruption) on the cards for his whole career.

Conversely, Kovalev getting knocked would be good karma for a bunch of other out of the ring stuff.

As for P4P, I think stuff like moving through weight divisions is really important for my rankings and as much as I like Crawford and Lomachenko, Canelo taking out the former number one in his 5th weight division is pretty significant. I definitely don’t think he’d be a lock or anything, since Loma’s complete dominance over three divisions is arguably worth more than Canelo’s good performance against the top guys at 154 and 160 and a marquee win over Kovalev.

Idk, I certainly think a win over Kovalev would put him in the top 3 P4P conversation for sure, even with his like, arguably 2-4 losses.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Conversely, Kovalev getting knocked would be good karma for a bunch of other out of the ring stuff.

True!

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

As for P4P, I think stuff like moving through weight divisions is really important for my rankings and as much as I like Crawford and Lomachenko, Canelo taking out the former number one in his 5th weight division is pretty significant. I definitely don’t think he’d be a lock or anything, since Loma’s complete dominance over three divisions is arguably worth more than Canelo’s good performance against the top guys at 154 and 160 and a marquee win over Kovalev.

Idk, I certainly think a win over Kovalev would put him in the top 3 P4P conversation for sure, even with his like, arguably 2-4 losses.

I'd have no problem with Canelo at 3 post Kovalev win. Lots of people will put him #1 if that happens. Even beating a shopworn Sergei Kovalev is impressive for a former welterweight.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

i'd put him 4 post kovalev after inoue / crawford, and loma.

that said though i might put a few bucks on kovalev. that way, if he wins, i get money. and if he loses, he's a piece of poo poo that deserves a vicious beating.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Ninth has been assuring me all week he'll have a thread for the fight, and i'd put the odds that he actually follows through at +150

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

And here it is:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3902900

Didn't have time for an undercard write up this time.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

The big fight I've seen the most chatter about for Canelo since his Kovalev fight is, rather surprisingly, Andre Ward. It makes sense and may be a big enough fight to lure Ward out of retirement. I'd still pick Ward to win it, and it could be a nice legacy capper for Ward to take especially if the consensus turns to Canelo as the #1 p4p.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

The Ninth Layer posted:

The big fight I've seen the most chatter about for Canelo since his Kovalev fight is, rather surprisingly, Andre Ward. It makes sense and may be a big enough fight to lure Ward out of retirement. I'd still pick Ward to win it, and it could be a nice legacy capper for Ward to take especially if the consensus turns to Canelo as the #1 p4p.

I love how Boxing Twitter (and Damien Lillard) have been trying to speak this into existence like Larry Merchant did with De La Hoya-Pacquiao. While I think both would be up for it as of right now I don't see it happening. It's really a no win situation for Canelo in that he either beats a retired fighter or is soundly beat by one of the two best technical boxers of this generation

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
In terms of fights I'd like to see next for Canelo, it would be:

1. Andre Ward
2. Gennady Golovkin
3. Artur Beterbiev
4. Callum Smith
5. Dmitry Bivol

Norton the First
Dec 4, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Why?

Ward comes in looking good, how does he lose?

Ward comes in looking bad, how is it a good fight?

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

Norton the First posted:

Why?

Ward comes in looking good, how does he lose?

Ward comes in looking bad, how is it a good fight?

Ward fought in mid 2017 and is only 35, it's not like he retired 5 years ago. If he gets into the ring again, you have to assume he'd look decent.

How does Ward lose if he looks good? By failing to KO Canelo and letting the fight go to the cards, of course.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Ward's on the smaller end for 175 lb and has only a half inch of reach on Canelo, so they are fairly evenly matched physically.

Canelo would be Ward's biggest career fight by far and you could argue that beating Canelo would be a bigger win / tougher challenge for Ward than anyone he fought or could have fought while active. Ward would be the best opponent Canelo has fought since Mayweather.

I haven't heard too much about whether Ward is staying in the gym post-retirement but I haven't gotten the impression he has let himself go, or that he couldn't get back into fighting shape if he wanted to.

I don't really expect this match to ever happen as Ward doesn't strike me as the type of fighter who would un-retire even for a massive payday, but even as a fantasy match it is very compelling, and probably the biggest fight that could be made in 2020 outside of the heavyweight division. Ward coming out of retirement would add a fair amount of intrigue to a match where he'd be heavily favored if he were still active.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Ward isn't just small for Light Heavy, he used to fight at middleweight and only moved to 175 for the legacy fight.

I'm not sure if Canelo would want this fight, and not just because it's tough, but because Ward is retired. I'm not a Alvarez fan specifically, but from his perspective he isn't getting enough credit for his wins. Like in Canelo's mind, he just beat the two best guys at middleweight and now captured a belt at 168 and 175 and isn't getting the recognition he deserves. Like knocked Kovalev the gently caress out and people are still barely giving him any credit because Kovalev was old. So if Ward comes out of retirement and loses to Canelo, the prevailing narrative will be that Canelo beat another old, retired guy.

For me personally, I would looooove to see a Canelo-Ward fight. Callum Smith is my other big pick. I think we're more likely to see GGG 3 or something like David Benavidez or Gilberto Ramirez.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

One of my few hopes in this godforsaken world is for GGG Canelo 3 to not happen. Please, just let that not happen. It probably won't be a great fight (we saw it twice already) and it'll definitely be a trash decision.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Canelo/GGG III would be fun if GGG can pull a Marquez and take it out of the judge's hands but I just don't think that's possible

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
I don't see Canelo fighting Callum Smith or Gilberto Ramirez any time soon. They're both loving gigantic and mostly anonymous. Ramirez doesn't even have a belt. Smith is a unified champ so there's that, but again, he's 6'3 and in his prime, and unknown to casuals.

If Canelo doesn't fight GGG (at 168) next, he's in a bit of a tough spot of who to fight next. My money would be on Dimitry Bivol. Bivol has been on American TV quite a bit and is a small light-heavyweight with a belt. Would make the most sense from a financial and matchmaking perspective.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Yeah Ramirez is way too big for Canelo but off the top of my head I can't recall if he's actually good. I vaguely recall him being pretty popular in Mexico though, which is why I mentioned him.

Callum Smith is actually good, and not all that anonymous globally, although he doesn't have a huge profile in america by any means.

Bivol is interesting. I really like Bivol but he's very unknown, so I put that as less likely than Smith, actually.

It's always hard to predict the next fight Canelo will take, but I'd have to imagine GGG is the front runner. Alvarez is looking better than ever while Golovkin is looking more beatable all the time. Canelo can probably get the definitive win that trilogy needs to finally get the general public aboard the narrative that he's the better man across three fights, and in the mean time, they get extra time to let another fighter get more popular or for Ward to warm himself up to the idea of one more fight or whatever.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I wasn't able to catch Inoue vs Donaire but by all accounts it was a fight of the year contender.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

The Ninth Layer posted:

I wasn't able to catch Inoue vs Donaire but by all accounts it was a fight of the year contender.

It really was great. Inoue was cut pretty badly in the second and rocked a couple of times in the fight but nearly got Donaire out on a body shot in the 11th and won a pretty clean decision.

Regardless of whether or not he continues Donaire is a Hall of famer no dobut and hopefully this prompts Inoue to stay at Bantamweight instead of something like a suicide mission against Lomachenko. Nordine Oubali beat his younger brother Takuma to keep a belt in the co-feature so that's a built in. Then maybe Zolani Tete and of course try to avenge Yamanaka against Luis Nery.

Edit: it was the 11th round which was a round of the year candidate as well. You would expect Inoue, who is such a great finisher to get Donaire out of there since he was super hut but Nonito rallied back and held on. Again it's hard to overstate how great the fight was so you if you have DAZN catch the replay asap but otherwise I'm sure it will be on YouTube soon if not already.

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Nov 7, 2019

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I caught the replay using my DAZN account and it was good, I might even watch it again later

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

So, from the department of things Canelo's management are definitely trying to minimize, I'm thinking about matchups. Not boxers specifically, but technique. What's the gameplan for a mythical Guy Who Can Beat The gently caress Out Of Canelo (or at least beat him on the cards)?

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
Glad I could catch a replay of Donaire-Inoue without spoilers.

After the cruiserweight shootout between Dorticos and Breidis I fear that's it for the WBSS. Back to the big broadcasters making unappealing in-house fights for their anointed stars...

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Also KSI-Logan Paul 2 is on Saturday so talk about DAZN giving bang for the buck

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

hexwren posted:

So, from the department of things Canelo's management are definitely trying to minimize, I'm thinking about matchups. Not boxers specifically, but technique. What's the gameplan for a mythical Guy Who Can Beat The gently caress Out Of Canelo (or at least beat him on the cards)?
Go to Canelo's body! He's wide open there and it's how a fighter would get him to drop his guard. Everyone that has fought him recently has stuck to headhunting.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Canelo’s counter punching makes body shots difficult

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
I am actually kind of hype for KSI-Logan Paul 2. Please send help

Edit: Maybe I am just way too online but with all the social media gen z bullshit this honestly feels like the biggest event since MayMac. In before I get "Ok Boomer" ed

Second edit: at least Hearn had the decency to announce a proper fight. Fwiw the fight is in Phoenix because Nevada would not license Chavez Jr due to a missed drug test. Gabriel Rosado is said to be on standby

https://twitter.com/EddieHearn/status/1192855436933976064?s=19

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Nov 9, 2019

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

jccjr is such a waster. hope jacobs knocks him out.

watched inoue / donaire and i'm really happy donaire got to show out like that one last time. he really did put on an incredible performance, though honestly getting up from that body shot is probably one of the most impressive things i've ever seen. almost as inexplicable as fury getting up from that second wilder knockdown.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

hexwren posted:

At Canelo's current weight area, the guy who beats him is a 6'1+ guy who's in his prime, can jab his face off and can pile up points, and is young/strong enough to absorb the occasional big shot from him.

Unfortunately for Canelo, there are a lot of those guys at 168/175 that fit that description, so he will have to be matched extremely carefully to avoid a loss going forward.

Cigar Aficionado fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Nov 9, 2019

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

There’s a few methods of beating Canelo. Floyd did it by outboxing him, picking his shots and being too slick to catch (Lara has success in the same way) Golovkin did it in the first fight by outlanding him in the pocket and in the second fight Golovkin had success by keeping distance and outjabbing him, the strategy Kovalev used to win rounds too.

I would say in general that while Canelo doesn’t really have an outright weakness, his most exploitable attribute is that he doesn’t particularly throw in great volume, preferring to instead pick shots when there’s the best opportunity for them. (incidentally, this is one reason people dispute Canelo cards a lot, he often lands the hardest shot in a round) You can exploit this low output by making those shots miss, putting him out of range to use it, or just being able to consistently trade effectively while landing more. Perhaps somebody could beat him by just overpowering him and walking him down, but we’ve yet to see it.

You kind of need some otherworldly quality, Mayweather used his TBE defensive abilities, GGG used his toughness.

Of the potential competition I’d give BJS the best chance of being too slick for Canelo. Beterbiev has the best chance of trading and breaking him down, and Callum Smith has the best chance of staying at range and jabbing Canelo into pieces.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

billy joe looked terrible tonight. looked like he trained expecting a walkover and got taken 11 rounds and was probably behind on the cards when he miraculously pulled out a stoppage

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Logan Paul-KSI was a lot of fun, in the way that strongman fights between novices are. Logan Paul was absolutely the better athlete and even the more natural boxer, but he just doesn’t have even half the heart KSI does.

E: should also say I was pleasantly surprised at the amount of drama, normally novices struggle to knock each other down.

I was also pleased with how effectively KSI immediately used the social judo of beef squashing after the fight to make himself look like the bigger man, and dodge a potential rematch. Paul got sonned.

Jump King fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Nov 10, 2019

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

MMMs new username posted:

Logan Paul-KSI was a lot of fun, in the way that strongman fights between novices are. Logan Paul was absolutely the better athlete and even the more natural boxer, but he just doesn’t have even half the heart KSI does.

E: should also say I was pleasantly surprised at the amount of drama, normally novices struggle to knock each other down.

I was also pleased with how effectively KSI immediately used the social judo of beef squashing after the fight to make himself look like the bigger man, and dodge a potential rematch. Paul got sonned.

It was somehow, on its own merits, the best fight on the card. Let that marinate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

ok sure if you’re discounting the absolute pleasure that was hometown hero white chocolate getting a bizarre DQ win over Bautista