Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tek79
Jun 16, 2008

The last I heard of Palin was that her and her husband were getting a divorce. Oh, and her oldest son was arrested on domestic violence charges.

The party of family values.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

BiggerBoat posted:

I got to thinking about Sarah Palin and how much, in many ways, she was the original Trump only without the fame. The word salad, the grift, the empty platitudes, her failure as a politician, the stupidity and childish gaslighting. WTF ever happened to her?

I remember right wingers and Freep going nuts over her. All that poo poo. Is she still alive even? She doesn't even have a podcast or a website or a FOX slot or a book or jack poo poo as far as I know.

loving Palin. I could see Trump ditching Pence, throwing him under the bus and dragging her out as a VP candidate. poo poo, they should get married.

Palin is notable because she's the first time an actual redneck idiot got that high an appointment. The usual scenario, from the Nixons, Bushes, Romneys etc. is for the patrician Northeastern Ivy Leaguer to pander to those redneck idiots and occasionally play act at being one to farm their votes to get power for themselves.

Palin was the first time they could envision one of their own being in the top slot. It was a big turning point. Inevitable at some point, but McCain accelerated the timeline by picking her.

Trump is a more ideal version of Palin because he was way better and more experienced at the show biz game, but he's really the same kind of ignorant, vain hateful redneck person. Just a NY version of it with a show biz resume.

So the basic trajectory for Palin after the failed McCain campaign was:

-resign as governor
-tease a possible presidential run in the next election
-not follow through with it
-short lived reality TV show for her ("Sarah Palin's Alaska" or some such) and reality TV minicelebrity for Bristol on Dancing with the Stars
-paid subscription website for which she barely generated any content and died out quickly
-various encounters with law enforcement by her family
-now getting divorced from husband

Even though the situations are different in important ways, Palin is a prime example of what is likely to happen to Trump after he's out of office.

Both are obvious embarrassing incompetent idiots that Republicans have to worship and genuflect over due to the position they occupied, as President and as VP nominee. When it became obvious, with Palin, during the sequence of events outlined above, that she was a worthless sack of crap, she got memory holed REAL quick.

I live in a pretty politically red (GOP) well off suburb in a red state. The people I work with are overwhelmingly GOP and have Fox on all the time at work lounges. I was a bit surprised some years after 2008 when Palin made some appearance on Fox that a bunch of these lifelong GOPers were hissing at her being on TV. These are people who never would hire an obvious idiot like Palin to run some business of their family's or in any capacity (unless her looks or image were useful to them in some way) and had to act like she was The Greatest American for a couple of years, but as soon as she demonstrated unambiguously her loserdom and inability to do or follow through with literally anything, they discarded her entirely.

With Trump that will be more difficult to do because he actually got elected and has been waved in our face for years now, and could potentially even be reelected God forbid. So a larger number of supporters will cling to the idea that he was actually great, it's just the country that hosed up and failed him. But as soon as he's out of office no one will want to hear from him, his stupid Tweets, Don loving Junior, Jarvanka or any of the rest of his disgusting criminal brood. And that will include most Republicans.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

i mean, we also had dubya...

edit: and also dan quayle was quite the moron, i heard

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Mr Interweb posted:

i mean, we also had dubya...

edit: and also dan quayle was quite the moron, i heard

Dubya is just the most successful at play acting as a rube. He’s still the Northeastern Ivy Leaguer. He just never broke character.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Zwabu posted:

Dubya is just the most successful at play acting as a rube. He’s still the Northeastern Ivy Leaguer. He just never broke character.

No way wealthy people can buy an education, nope.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

pop fly to McGillicutty posted:

No way wealthy people can buy an education, nope.

i mean correct but he was a dumb rich failson, not a dumb redneck.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
I am not nor have I ever been a fan of professional wrestling. But the idea of "kayfabe" and the idea of how thin a line there is between what is deemed to be "real" and what is "fake" is immediately obvious to me and I see it as immensely powerful. Don't listen to the "hard C" cinema elitists. Politics is a showman's game and wrestling is reality.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Palin failed and dropped off the face of the earth because she's lazy as gently caress and since she's not old money, she doesnt have a network/infrastructure of yesman to set things up for her like Donnie does.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

PhazonLink posted:

Palin failed and dropped off the face of the earth because she's lazy as gently caress and since she's not old money, she doesnt have a network/infrastructure of yesman to set things up for her like Donnie does.

Donnie is many things but he's hardcore new money. That's a huge part of his appeal and also a huge part of why the establishment hates him.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

PhazonLink posted:

Also Trump stole her grassroots network of crazy people. He was a joke candidate until he appeared on stage with Sarah Palin and she pointed at him and went "Vote for this crazy motherfucker!" and as soon as her supporters went "Yeah! Let's vote for this crazy motherfucker!" he very quickly pushed her off the stage she lifted him onto and she's never been seen since.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I also think like the same week she endorsed Trump and seemed like she was gonna be a big part of his campaign her son got arrested for beating his girlfriend with an assault weapon and she went all "PTSD makes vets violent" and she got rushed away real loving quick.

You know, back in the old days when saying something outrageously offensive might hurt you.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
Also as much as Trump's brain is obviously melting to anyone who isn't an idiot or a boomer, the few speeches she was making around that time were awful. There was one when it seemed like she was legitimately sedated or on opiates and could barely string a sentence together.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

STAC Goat posted:

I also think like the same week she endorsed Trump and seemed like she was gonna be a big part of his campaign her son got arrested for beating his girlfriend with an assault weapon and she went all "PTSD makes vets violent" and she got rushed away real loving quick.

You know, back in the old days when saying something outrageously offensive might hurt you.

Alas, the true Tragedy of the House of Palin: she missed the event horizon across which things stopped mattering by mere hours.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Palin was chud heroin. Trump is chud fentanyl. They don't need her anymore after getting a stronger fix.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Palin’s son Track was going through a tough time last year, which isn’t funny. It’s never funny that someone is struggling with substance abuse issues that cause them to act out and hurt themselves and those around them, and it’s undeniably painful for the family to have to deal with these issues under the public eye.

It is funny though that in this case it meant him fighting his dad and then climbing onto the roof of the house and shouting LAY DOWN YOUR WEAPONS, PEASANTS at the cops

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

PhazonLink posted:

Palin dropped off the face of the earth for the same reason as a lot of these poo poo tier Trump coattail riders are going to drop off of the map: She's a dumb talking point regurgitator. Anyone that doesn't bring something new to the table is easily replaced by some other talking head that can find a new, more interesting angle. Trump is avoiding that by bringing stuff to the table... by making poo poo up constantly, being hyper-offensive, and pandering to victim complexes.

Problem for Trump though is 100% of his appeal right now is his ability to ~own the libs~, and as soon as he stops being president, he's going to be just an angry rear end in a top hat with stupid opinions about things that can't stop talking about himself, and a lot of his boosters are going to suddenly stop pretending to give a poo poo what he thinks.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Nov 7, 2019

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

Also as much as Trump's brain is obviously melting to anyone who isn't an idiot or a boomer, the few speeches she was making around that time were awful. There was one when it seemed like she was legitimately sedated or on opiates and could barely string a sentence together.

Even Trump appeared embarrassed when she was on stage endorsing him, and yeah, he got her away from the podium as fast as he could without obviously doing it because she sounded like Biden jumbling a dozen different speeches together.

Also remember that the reason she resigned as governor was to work on her political career. I guess making more time to read all the news magazines.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

deoju posted:

Palin was chud heroin. Trump is chud fentanyl. They don't need her anymore after getting a stronger fix.

fentanyle is stronger than heroin?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Corsair Pool Boy posted:

Even Trump appeared embarrassed when she was on stage endorsing him, and yeah, he got her away from the podium as fast as he could without obviously doing it because she sounded like Biden jumbling a dozen different speeches together.

Also remember that the reason she resigned as governor was to work on her political career. I guess making more time to read all the news magazines.

That's silly.

She "wrote" a book, went to work for Fox News, and got a reality show.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

STAC Goat posted:

That's silly.

She "wrote" a book, went to work for Fox News, and got a reality show.

Sorry, the reason she GAVE for resigning.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Mr Interweb posted:

fentanyle is stronger than heroin?

About 50 times or so, yes. Fentanyl is what you give to a person dying of cancer- you are 1000% turning them into a raging addict but they are going to die before that really matters.

Or at least that's the kind of drug it was meant to be until the pharmaceutical companies convinced doctors that it was a-okay to prescribe fentanyl for migraines or surgery recovery.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

ErIog posted:

It seems like you have a short memory as well. Palin is surely an example of the tendency, but Trumpism extends all the way back to Reagan, Nixon, and Goldwater. It's only in hindsight the Reagan presidency is viewed fondly.

Nah...I'm pretty old and was in high school when Reagan was president.

I view Palin as an entirely different phenomenon even though I can see the extension from the people you listed. She seemed like a real..uhh..."evolutionary" step to me in a way that Regan wasn't and, to me, feels like the real tangible precursor to Trump. Maybe with her I just see the culmination and the identifiable tipping point to where the GOP and conservatism just went full sham and the idiots took over the show.

With Reagan, he was more trotted out there as a symbol but was still part of the machine. Trump/Palin is the Frankenstein monster they've built breaking loose and running amok.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Shbobdb posted:

I am not nor have I ever been a fan of professional wrestling. But the idea of "kayfabe" and the idea of how thin a line there is between what is deemed to be "real" and what is "fake" is immediately obvious to me and I see it as immensely powerful. Don't listen to the "hard C" cinema elitists. Politics is a showman's game and wrestling is reality.

It turns out that the "right to lie because it's an entertainment channel court case" thing isn't accurate. But right now I can't find the video of the dude yelling "Fox lies! Fox lies!" at the dude holding a Fox Business microphone who basically said "no, see, I'm with Fox Business" while being live broadcast on Fox News.

I'll post it later if/when I find it.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

deoju posted:

Trump is chud fentanyl.

Well..he's killin' me.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

I found a trimmed version (not including the "this is actually for fox business, sir" part) titled "An Articulate Liberal" and of course the guy eventually got named but still not finding the original

there's a TYT video that cuts off for some reason right as they're getting into the "no this is Fox Business actually" part

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIHkpMtJ0dI&t=23s

unfortunately every result from how i'm searching is just a thumbnail of one talking head or another instead of the actual context

stringless fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Nov 7, 2019

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

fuckin finally found it

"This is Fox Business Network, just FYI" he says, while live on Fox News

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ry4vRz8Vvms&t=36s

Context: Madison, Wisconsin 2011

I'll acknowledge that it happened much earlier in the interaction than I remembered. I remembered it as the mouthpiece saying it to the dude yelling truth and a specific change in inflection in the way he said "FOX LIES" immediately after (which still happened as i remembered but in a different context)

wishful thinking perhaps, but that was an element of that report summarily/deliberately ignored in favor of "articulate lib lol"

stringless fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Nov 7, 2019

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Corsair Pool Boy posted:

The reason she resigned was because the FBI was hot on the trail of a corruption case that likely led to her. She blamed it on liberals being mean to her though. No one with political ambitions resigns from a governorship mid-term unless they're forced out.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

PIZZA.BAT posted:

The reason she resigned was because the FBI was hot on the trail of a corruption case that likely led to her. She blamed it on liberals being mean to her though. No one with political ambitions resigns from a governorship mid-term unless they're forced out.

Every story about her painted her as a chronically lazy moron who couldn't even ride the wingnut welfare train properly.

For her tv channel she didn't even bother with the bare minimum of content to keep people engaged she just expected money to fall into her lap.

Like, if she had kept up touring, have books ghostwritten, done campaign rallies etc. She'd probably still be a Fox household name. Instead shes wasting away in the frozen wasteland of Alaska getting no offers and no consideration.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Zwabu posted:

-short lived reality TV show for her ("Sarah Palin's Alaska" or some such) and reality TV minicelebrity for Bristol on Dancing with the Stars

This was Teen Mom, where she didn't get along with any of the other moms on the show, and the whole arc was her running from the baby's father who as far as anyone could tell was just mad she moved with the kid from Alaska to Texas.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

pentyne posted:

Every story about her painted her as a chronically lazy moron who couldn't even ride the wingnut welfare train properly.

THIS

i mean, holy poo poo. i've said this before but can i just say what a fascinating case study palin is? she tried running this subscription scam where her dipshit fans could sign up to her web series for like $99/yr (or somewhere around there) for the honor of seeing palin rant about something for an hour a week. i actually saw one of her videos and it was so half assed, and lazy in every sense of the word that i couldn't even get angry at it. her heart clearly wasn't in it.

AND YET, even with that minimal amount of effort, it was way too much for her and she apparently dropped the whole thing. she could have been living on easy street for the rest of her life, but she just couldn't be bothered to put in any work. it's astounding really.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Palin and Trump are connected is that they are both thought the 'last least worst' by the rest for that position.
They hated each other so much that they would rather have someone with no clue or experience take it.
It's the Republican way. Mitt chose Ryan, Trump chose Pence.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

happyhippy posted:

Palin and Trump are connected is that they are both thought the 'last least worst' by the rest for that position.
They hated each other so much that they would rather have someone with no clue or experience take it.
It's the Republican way. Mitt chose Ryan, Trump chose Pence.

Source?

They're quite similar in that they're demonstrably dumb and build their popularity on empty platitudes, superficial gestures and just ridiculous lazy orating. Palin's word salad style, tangents and stream of consciousness meandering predates Trump and I can't prove it but I'd bet a lot that there's a tremendous amount of crossover between people who fell for her act and who are now falling for Trump's. They both just throw "patriotic" words in to a blender and expect something smart to come out of their mouths, are both lazy as gently caress and lack the skills to manage a loving 24 hour copy shop.

Bush used to gently caress up a lot and sort of invent words, often relying on the same dumb and empty "they'll believe it I say 'evil' and 'freedom' enough" style of communicating but I wouldn't call him Trumpian - nor Nixon, Reagan or Goldwater for that matter. Palin and Trump are both vacuous empty people that stand for absolutely nothing - empty vessels of anti intellectualism that I think are unique and embody a self serving grift and a brand designed to sell things and serve themselves. They reaped the giant rewards of gutting education and stand as symbols of what you get when you center an entire nation around teaching people to do nothing more than buy things.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
It was early in the campaign so Trump was absolutely a New Yorker bilking the rubes when he was with Palin. He broke kayfabe and was like, "What the gently caress is this poo poo?!?" But because of positive feedback loops he's now just as bad if not worse. Huffing his own farts.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

Shbobdb posted:

It was early in the campaign so Trump was absolutely a New Yorker bilking the rubes when he was with Palin. He broke kayfabe and was like, "What the gently caress is this poo poo?!?" But because of positive feedback loops he's now just as bad if not worse. Huffing his own farts.

He's also been suffering a pretty steep decline in the past few years, which makes the fart addiction way worse.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

BiggerBoat posted:

Bush used to gently caress up a lot and sort of invent words, often relying on the same dumb and empty "they'll believe it I say 'evil' and 'freedom' enough" style of communicating but I wouldn't call him Trumpian - nor Nixon, Reagan or Goldwater for that matter. Palin and Trump are both vacuous empty people that stand for absolutely nothing - empty vessels of anti intellectualism that I think are unique and embody a self serving grift and a brand designed to sell things and serve themselves. They reaped the giant rewards of gutting education and stand as symbols of what you get when you center an entire nation around teaching people to do nothing more than buy things.

The reason you don't detect it from the earlier conservatives is because the verbiage changes based on the perceived threat. Reagan was definitely this vacuous and absolutely convinced that all the red scare conspiracy theories were true. So what you got from him was a bunch of anti-communist or pro-capitalist (Milton Friedman) pablum.

Reagan's bussing/states rights poo poo and talking up of missile defense systems like Star Wars is exactly the same as Trump going hard on immigration/the wall/defeating ISIS. It's all a dog whistle. None of it is really meant to work that well. They spin whatever results there are into victory no matter the actual outcomes.

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose
Cuomo spent a whole hour kissing Bloomberg's rear end last night. Can't tell you the details because I just peeked in occasionally but it's pretty funny/depressing or whatever the german word for that would be.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
It used to be that RWM was a comical/upsetting mixed of partial truths, quotes out of context, facts devoid of environmental cues, and just enough bald faced lies to tie it together. It was interesting to listen to, to see how the spin would be.

Now even the most tame personalities seem to be broadcasting from an alternate universe. A universe that would be terrifying if it was ours, seemingly with the sole goal of convincing people that it is our universe. Where purple haired, black masked antifa supersoldiers roam the streets with concrete milkshakes and a thirst for cop blood. Only unironically.

I guess what I'm trying to say is I don't see a point in even trying to listen anymore. Used to be useful for figuring out what the slant of the day was and how they were skewing reality. Now they're making reality up wholecloth and I don't see any advantage to it.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

PJOmega posted:

It used to be that RWM was a comical/upsetting mixed of partial truths, quotes out of context, facts devoid of environmental cues, and just enough bald faced lies to tie it together. It was interesting to listen to, to see how the spin would be.

Now even the most tame personalities seem to be broadcasting from an alternate universe. A universe that would be terrifying if it was ours, seemingly with the sole goal of convincing people that it is our universe. Where purple haired, black masked antifa supersoldiers roam the streets with concrete milkshakes and a thirst for cop blood. Only unironically.

I guess what I'm trying to say is I don't see a point in even trying to listen anymore. Used to be useful for figuring out what the slant of the day was and how they were skewing reality. Now they're making reality up wholecloth and I don't see any advantage to it.

Yeah, it's loving rough and depressing to listen to. I pretty much just can't anymore since it's bad for my depression.

What's even harder for me though is hearing this poo poo parroted in social situations and around the work place. It's really taken hold in the national discourse and has rendered honest debate and fact based communication almost irrelevant and near impossible. It's similar to arguing with a Jesus freak or an MLM/Amway enthusiast where certain "truths" are predisposed, assumed or taken for granted and hacking your way through those barriers is exhausting enough in the first place that, in the event you DO get to your point, you've forgotten what you were trying to say in the first place. Most of these people I occasionally engage with speak to me like they're delivering a commercial jingle or slogan that they've absorbed into themselves and their thought processes as matters of fact.

They'll "rebut" my argument(s) by inserting a talking point surrounding a topic that I never even brought up - so now we're on some tangent about standing for the flag or supporting the troops, for instance.

30 years of talk radio and 20 years of FOX News, to say nothing of thousands of years of religious dogma and perpetually digging in, has made honest discourse a very hard thing to engage. They seem to think they have a monopoly on patriotism, theology, morality borne entirely out of the number of flag pins they wear and how often they can invoke 9/11 or Jesus.

It was one thing when they were relegated to the radio in large swaths of land where few people live but now they hold office and the grifted have become the grifters. I swear the blueprint is a LOT like how megachurches successfully operate.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

BiggerBoat posted:

Yeah, it's loving rough and depressing to listen to. I pretty much just can't anymore since it's bad for my depression.

No kidding. I don’t think we have ever directly interacted, but I have frequently been concerned for your mental health, and wanted to suggest that you take a break. I wasn’t sure it would be welcome from a stranger, and you’re a grown man, so I kept it to myself. It has sometimes been difficult watching you in these threads, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
My wife and I were taking a walk a few weeks back and she mentioned people were criticizing AOC for getting her hair did at a salon. I was like "Palin spent THOUSANDS on wardrobe where were those fuckers then" and we just looked at clouds and the leaves because god drat is the world stupid.