Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

There Bias Two posted:

Is there a word or phrase for concepts that are couched behind so much esoteric jargon to make them seem more legitimate? Because blockchain is that.

Bafflegab

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
"Linguistic obscurantism" is how they called it in linguistics class.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Fatkraken posted:

No, just make sure he's a miner, write up an airtight contract to split the bills so he pays all the electric while you take care of water or whatever and voila, free heating!

[Fleetwood Crack comes home one day and his buttcoiner housemate has constructed a homemade hydroelectric generator that he is using to power and cool a huge mining farm, running water from the bathroom tap continually 24/7]

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry

There Bias Two posted:

Is there a word or phrase for concepts that are couched behind so much esoteric jargon to make them seem more legitimate? Because blockchain is that.

Gartner's Hype Cycle.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

klafbang posted:

Gartner's Hype Cycle.

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry

Glad you did, because I couldn't be assed :) Also, the year could be a slider because all of the buttchain will persistently be just around the corner.

E: like this:

klafbang fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Nov 7, 2019

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Blockchain in healthcare? Wtf for?

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Burt Sexual posted:

to make everything slow, and bad, and confusing

Ignoranus
Jun 3, 2006

HAPPY MORNING

Play posted:

to make everything slow, and bad, and confusing

So another field where the non-Blockchain solution already has it completely covered, then?

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry

Burt Sexual posted:

To solve the issue that healthcare companies have too much money and consultants not enough.

The claim: it makes it possible to have an EPR that can be shared among different providers (hospitals, pharmacies, physicians, etc)

Reality: tons of PoCs with little or less value, also blockchain doesn't work like that and a central party (e.g., government) is a very good idea

Source: does consulting for a party in heathcare and had a discussion with the tool trying to sell them blockchain and the PM about to buy it. Unfortunately, I did not the thru to them, so they wasted money they could have given to me on butts (but not in the healthcare sense)

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

klafbang posted:

Gartner's Hype Cycle.

Day 3,842
I am still trapped atop the Peak of Inflated Expectations. My friends have abandoned be, and my family is starving, yet I hodl. They laugh, now, but it is I - I! - who shall laugh last when we go to the moon.

Jascum
Sep 29, 2019

by Nyc_Tattoo
The revolution will not be on the blockchain.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Jascum posted:

The revolution will not be on the blockchain.

Comrade, the workers' revolution is already on the blockchain! https://www.coindesk.com/china-wants-communist-party-members-to-pledge-loyalty-on-blockchain

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I'm blockchain in 3D printing. Whatever the hell this means.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Paladinus posted:

I'm blockchain in 3D printing. Whatever the hell this means.

Hope you used AI to connect it to the cloud. Then you'll really be cooking if you know what I mean.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

is pepsi ok posted:

Hope you used AI to connect it to the cloud. Then you'll really be cooking if you know what I mean.

C3 IoT changed their name to C3 AI a bit ago. They sponsor npr and it forces me to turn off the radio regularly.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Burt Sexual posted:

C3 IoT changed their name to C3 AI a bit ago. They sponsor npr and it forces me to turn off the radio regularly.

What the hell is radio??

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Paladinus posted:

What the hell is radio??

It’s a button on my car, and radio cubs games in the driveway rules way better than tv. #pathughes4lyfe

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Paladinus posted:

What the hell is radio??

it's what you pay a monthly subscription fee to SirisXM for

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Paladinus posted:

What the hell is radio??

An amazing new technology that allows geolocated live streaming to unlimited clients!

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Blockchain radio would be great.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

I don't know if there's a single tidy word, but I know the phrase "if you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit."

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Burt Sexual posted:

Blockchain radio would be great.
Blockchain the WGN video feed to the tethered radio feed.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Platonicsolid posted:

An amazing new technology that allows geolocated live streaming to unlimited clients!
How can we monetize?

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

MechaCrash posted:

I don't know if there's a single tidy word, but I know the phrase "if you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit."

baffleshit it is.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

Hammerite posted:

baffleshit it is.

this also works as something you can call the game "Battleship" if you do not like it.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
*adam neumann on the evening of WeWork's failed IPO*

"they... they sunk my baffleshit!"

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
You know how the price will jump 2000 in a few minutes whenever it drops far enough. Well, I think it would be pretty neat to see the price drop 2000 a few times in the same day. 4.5 times would be a good amount.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

klafbang posted:

Gartner's Hype Cycle.

sir let me correct you here,

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

That butt ain't symmetrical. A shameful butt.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
Telegram has responded to the SEC complaint with a rousing "gently caress you, SEC!" They have top-quality lawyers on the case, and a $1.7b warchest! The response is, uh.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Even the chartered banks know to at least act contrite.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
heyyy have I told you about FACEBOOK PAY the exciting new payment method that lets you pay for stuff and send money to each other, on Facebook and Messenger and Instagram and Whatsapp! And it TOTALLY has NO RELEVANCE to Libra. Nope! This DOES NOT obsolete Libra. The Libra intiative CONTINUES. Everything is FINE citizen. BLOCKCHAIN.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
Don't people just already use Revolut or Monzo or one of those many apps that work with real money for that?

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You know in Canada we have this thing where you log into your online banking portal and send an electronic money order to someone. they get it by text or email, click the link to go to their bank, log in, get the money, and be cool.

It takes five minutes, its free, its instant, and you dont need to pay a third party fees or information.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Tashilicious posted:

You know in Canada we have this thing where you log into your online banking portal and send an electronic money order to someone. they get it by text or email, click the link to go to their bank, log in, get the money, and be cool.

It takes five minutes, its free, its instant, and you dont need to pay a third party fees or information.

But then how do you wring money out of the proletariat?

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

divabot posted:

heyyy have I told you about FACEBOOK PAY the exciting new payment method that lets you pay for stuff and send money to each other, on Facebook and Messenger and Instagram and Whatsapp! And it TOTALLY has NO RELEVANCE to Libra. Nope! This DOES NOT obsolete Libra. The Libra intiative CONTINUES. Everything is FINE citizen. BLOCKCHAIN.

but you can already send money over Facebook Messenger?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Tashilicious posted:

Sounds like Communism to me.

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

Tashilicious posted:

Pfff, needlessly complicated. Denmark here. I have an app that allows me to transfer money to someone in about five seconds. Take that (and party).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Steen71 posted:

Pfff, needlessly complicated. Denmark here. I have an app that allows me to transfer money to someone in about five seconds. Take that (and party).

Same

Well, except the Denmark part.