Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Capsela kids represent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I mean I had wooden blocks, Lincoln logs, bristle blox, capsela, construx, tinker toys, and some erector set, but Duplo and Lego were the clear best

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

The Bloop posted:

Capsela kids represent

You beat me to it. Capsela was the absolute king. I got a crazy amount of use out of it.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

The_Doctor posted:

The one I had that never seemed popular* was Robotix, and it’s octagonal connection points.

*But apparently was popular enough to have a movie? Googling it brought this fact up, and I’d never heard of the movie before.

I got one of these sets for Christmas when I was a kid. Never got to see the cartoon though, even though I was aware of it.

Not a bad toy, though the "socket" end of the pieces tended to crack.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

The_Doctor posted:

The one I had that never seemed popular* was Robotix, and it’s octagonal connection points.

*But apparently was popular enough to have a movie? Googling it brought this fact up, and I’d never heard of the movie before.

I was just trying to recall what these were earlier today! I had a couple sets that my grandmother bought me from TJ Maxx or Ross or some other outlet store. They were one of those “you spent all day bargain hunting with me, so here’s a toy” gifts. :allears:

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

The Bloop posted:

Capsela kids represent

Woah that brings back memories. I would totally get those for my kids now.

Built so much cool stuff with these. The vex robotics stuff us such crap compared to this.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

The Bloop posted:

Capsela kids represent

I used the wires from this thing to test a wall socket like it was a 9 volt battery, nearly amputated my tongue after it had swollen to the size of a rolled up sock. Good times, would buy again.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Davros1 posted:

I got one of these sets for Christmas when I was a kid. Never got to see the cartoon though, even though I was aware of it.

Not a bad toy, though the "socket" end of the pieces tended to crack.

Yeah, I remember that. And pulling out some of the tighter elements with my teeth because the clutch was so strong.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

The Bloop posted:

Capsela kids represent

Wow, I totally forgot I used to own these.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Never owned em but Science North near my home town had a shitload of em and spending some time building crazy stuff with em was always a highlight of spending a day there.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Anyone here get the dinosaur bones museum?

I’m wondering if it would be good to do with my four year old at the holidays. Obviously he couldn’t do it solo, he’s super into dinosaurs and their bones.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Ultimate Mango posted:

Woah that brings back memories. I would totally get those for my kids now.

Built so much cool stuff with these. The vex robotics stuff us such crap compared to this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IT-TpJsSyY
They still make them, though rebranded and slightly polygonal now.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

I also had several "Fiddlesticks" building sets when I was young

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
I had some thing where you'd make stuff using plastic rivets that would be friction melted together.

Always came back to the Lego though, nothing can beat it.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
I used to have a ton of Girder and Panel stuff when I was little. Not as detailed as Lego but you could make really big stuff.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Oh, man. I just saw the minifigs that come with the new UCS Batmobile. That new cape/cowl piece is rad. It's just as articulated as the actual costume.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

Ultimate Mango posted:

Anyone here get the dinosaur bones museum?

I’m wondering if it would be good to do with my four year old at the holidays. Obviously he couldn’t do it solo, he’s super into dinosaurs and their bones.

Its a display set, not a play set

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

The Bloop posted:

Capsela kids represent

gently caress yeah I LOVED these things. After I got my first set, I found a huge box of them at a yard sale for like $25 and thought I was the luckiest kid in the world.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Cojawfee posted:

If it is a libertarian selling it, the blocks will just be chrome plated pot metal.

Lead. Lead is cheap and its toxicity is wildly overblown. :shepface:

Also, while we're talking about other Lego-like toys, look up Tentes from EXIN. Spanish Legos. Sadly they don't exist anymore - they made a lot of really nice ship models.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

Speaking of knock-offs, the Lepin stuff is ok in certain cases, correct? I really wanted the haunted house. I've been eyeing the "real" one for years, but prices stay around 400 dollars. I am wanting this mainly for a Halloween decoration and if they are OK will probably grab one next year.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Speaking of that drat Haunted House, there's no chance that LEGO would bring the theme/set back for another production run right? I'm still relatively new as an adult collector and don't know if they ever revive popular sets years after their discontinuation.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."

sigher posted:

Speaking of that drat Haunted House, there's no chance that LEGO would bring the theme/set back for another production run right? I'm still relatively new as an adult collector and don't know if they ever revive popular sets years after their discontinuation.

Unlikely, but not unheard of.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

sigher posted:

I dunno, but as a Halloween house freak (I literally run a website and youtube channel devoted to mini-halloween villages, spookyvillages.com) I REALLY wish Lego would do more in the Halloween space. I know they do an annual winter/christmas set but outside of a small spooky minifig pack, they don't do anything for Halloween really, right? REALLY wish they'd bring back the monster fighters line.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
They have an entire spooky/ghost themed line at the moment, Hidden Side

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

I dunno, but as a Halloween house freak (I literally run a website and youtube channel devoted to mini-halloween villages, spookyvillages.com) I REALLY wish Lego would do more in the Halloween space. I know they do an annual winter/christmas set but outside of a small spooky minifig pack, they don't do anything for Halloween really, right? REALLY wish they'd bring back the monster fighters line.

Just checked your site out and it's dope as hell, probably gonna binge your YouTube as well.

But I agree, I love the Monsters line (though I don't own any of it) and wish they would do a revival of it. More Halloween stuff, always.

Fatigued
Feb 5, 2010
Nap Ghost

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

Speaking of knock-offs, the Lepin stuff is ok in certain cases, correct? I really wanted the haunted house. I've been eyeing the "real" one for years, but prices stay around 400 dollars. I am wanting this mainly for a Halloween decoration and if they are OK will probably grab one next year.

I just finished building the Lepin version of the Old Fishing Store and it was fine, the quality wasn't really noticeably worse than official Lego stuff. Only issues I saw were that the minifigures are a bit stiffer, and the doors don't close smoothly, but that's worth it for how much less expensive it was.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli
I know a couple of people who have gotten Lepin UCS Star Wars stuff and I can't really say I blame them. For big, expensive sets that just sit on a shelf, Lepin is fine. The quality is close enough to actual Lego that it's difficult to tell them apart from a distance.

Personally I'd never get Lepin (or any other knockoff brand) but that's because building sets and displaying them has very little appeal to me. I much prefer building MOCs.

I will say, the one Lepin (or maybe another brand, can't remember now) set that's tempted me is the modular brothel. It's hilarious and something Lego would never do themselves.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
My sister gave me a Subaru-branded modular building set a few months ago that Subaru apparently gave out as a promotional item. I'm not sure who made it (there's no brand name on it besides Subaru) but whoof the quality was bad. Pieces flexed and bent during assembly and even though it's a sizable vehicle (roughly the sixe of the Ferarris) there was no Technic-style underpinning and it was very weak as a result.

I still haven't finished building it because I picked it up to move it and it fell apart.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

sigher posted:

Just checked your site out and it's dope as hell, probably gonna binge your YouTube as well.

But I agree, I love the Monsters line (though I don't own any of it) and wish they would do a revival of it. More Halloween stuff, always.

Thank you! If I grab the Lepin house I'll probably do a video on it because why the hell not, it's in the same genre. I plan do a Batmobile video too because, yeah. Why the hell not?!

And hey, i'd happily pony up for the real Lego set if they'd ever do a re-release. As is though, given the fact that I am buying for actual display purposes and don't care about the box, I'd rather just buy a close enough knock-off versus getting hosed by a reseller.

ColonelJohnMatrix fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Nov 11, 2019

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

If you get it I'd love to see the result and if it's worth the price, there's also a cool lighting kit you can get for the Haunted House that looks really cool you should check out.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

asecondduck posted:

My sister gave me a Subaru-branded modular building set a few months ago that Subaru apparently gave out as a promotional item. I'm not sure who made it (there's no brand name on it besides Subaru) but whoof the quality was bad. Pieces flexed and bent during assembly and even though it's a sizable vehicle (roughly the sixe of the Ferarris) there was no Technic-style underpinning and it was very weak as a result.

I still haven't finished building it because I picked it up to move it and it fell apart.

It's a "thing" for corporations to commission fake lego sets for these kinds of handouts. Sometimes lego does small runs of official sets but they're pretty rare (and not always built to lego standards themselves, there was a small lego audi did a ways back that had a couple technic pins that were under pressure and would eventually crack).

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli
To be fair, that Audi was actually the reason why Lego came up with rules for 'legal' and 'illegal' building techniques. They never had official building standards until then.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Any comments on the latest HP Knight Bus? It looks good to me but I'm thinking with a few modifications it could be even better.

GlenMR
Dec 11, 2005

What is this emotion called "criminal negligence"?
I've got it, but it's very much a kids playset. It looks okay next to the Hogwarts Express though.

If I had time and money, if love to Bricklink enough purple to make a Creator London Bus-sized version.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
UK Goons, Smyths has the Camper van on sale for £68, down from £85.

Wax Dynasty
Jan 1, 2013

This postseason, I've really enjoyed bringing back the three-inning save.

Hell Gem

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

Personally I'd never get Lepin (or any other knockoff brand) but that's because building sets and displaying them has very little appeal to me. I much prefer building MOCs.

I will say, the one Lepin (or maybe another brand, can't remember now) set that's tempted me is the modular brothel. It's hilarious and something Lego would never do themselves.

Lepin and the other Chinese knockoffs are doing a lot more MOCs after Lepin was successfully sued by Lego. Here's a small sample: https://www.yourwobb.com/collections/moc

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
“Warning: can not eat” tickled me

Also I’ve never remotely considered Lepin anything, but seeing that they sell the Death Star docking bay has definitely piqued my interest

If I was to get the UCS Falcon and coffee table it, I could do it in the docking bay and consider the hangar as an extension of the table rather than the Lego, to help with my natural aversion to fake pieces

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Is there any fake Lego with LEGO stamping? Are Lepin bricks branded as such or are they literally counterfeit Lego?

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
In my experience there's no branding on fakes at all. No text on the pieces anywhere. If there are fakes that include it they've fooled me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Black Friday stuff is out. I'm not seeing anything on 2x VIP yet. The Xmas GWP is a tree and the winter set isn't $$$ enough to get it. The GWP is $120 this year. Pretty lame.