Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

wocobob posted:

I still don’t totally understand what “things come crashing into you” is supposed to mean (maybe it’s just an iffy translation). Is it basically just extreme bad luck to the point that everything in the world is attacking you by accident?

Cool rear end chapter though.

I think it just literally means things will crash into you with enough force to cause serious injury. See: Gappy getting rained on until it almost killed him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

this power's been shown for like a bunch of chapters now so i don't think it needs to be tagged:

it looks like it is, at the least, an effect where your body becomes absurdly susceptible to impact if you decide to Chase a man who is apparently 89 years old (but i don't know if i buy it). there also seems to be an additional effect where objects just trundle into your path. i can't remember if contact from other people counts? i think the cops weren't having their hands going right through jousuke or mamezuku

but from the latest, i guess if you're going after Akefu because someone else told you to, or you're doing it for the explicit sake of someone else, or you have no other choice, his Stand might not fire? that part's still pretty unclear. it might just be that if there is any external impetus at all upon you to go after him, the Stand doesn't work

wocobob
Jan 7, 2014

damages enemies w/ corn

Patware posted:

this power's been shown for like a bunch of chapters now so i don't think it needs to be tagged:

it looks like it is, at the least, an effect where your body becomes absurdly susceptible to impact if you decide to Chase a man who is apparently 89 years old (but i don't know if i buy it). there also seems to be an additional effect where objects just trundle into your path. i can't remember if contact from other people counts? i think the cops weren't having their hands going right through jousuke or mamezuku

but from the latest, i guess if you're going after Akefu because someone else told you to, or you're doing it for the explicit sake of someone else, or you have no other choice, his Stand might not fire? that part's still pretty unclear. it might just be that if there is any external impetus at all upon you to go after him, the Stand doesn't work

ahh ok that makes a bunch more sense

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice
Man, I was not expecting to tear up a bit while reading part 8 lol

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Patware posted:

For the spoilered part hes going to snatch the new rokokaka which should get him to cross paths with the doctor, right? That way hes not chasing him, but he might be forced into encountering him?

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

"This man... his hat... 89 years old... I will get [this hat]..."

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
Jojo... i t h u r t s....

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Xad posted:

Man, I was not expecting to tear up a bit while reading part 8 lol

what about the scene with dead kira and josefumi?

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

The announcement of the miracle regeneration drug is ridiculous to a Spanish speaker (Locacaca is basically "Crazypoop", so the head doctor comes out as a lunatic trying to sell people poop. Crazy poop.) and I cannot take it seriously. In a series with names like Pet Shop, Cheese and Funny played entirely straight it's the unintentionally silly ones that stand out.

GimmickMan fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Nov 19, 2019

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
I wonder if this is the main villain's evil plan or if he's just a penultimate boss. Turning humanity to stone seems like a solid plot for the most dangerous villain in a story.

Even though I forget what happens between each chapter, I still think Josuke is a good boy, and felt pretty sad when Holly slipped back into her petrification-induced coma.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

GimmickMan posted:

The announcement of the miracle regeneration drug is ridiculous to a Spanish speaker (Locacaca is basically "Crazypoop", so the head doctor comes out as a lunatic trying to sell people poop. Crazy poop.) and I cannot take it seriously. In a series with names like Pet Shop, Cheese and Funny played entirely straight it's the unintentionally silly ones that stand out.

Yeah I gotta wonder how Araki ended up on that name for the magic fruit

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Xad posted:

Yeah I gotta wonder how Araki ended up on that name for the magic fruit

Honestly he probably just doesn't know what it means in Spanish. The pronunciation is likely supposed to be more even all throughout, each syllable getting roughly the same speaking time and emphasis. Lo-ca-ca-ca.

I also wonder if "rokakaka" and "locacaca" are supposed to be the same word all along.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

GimmickMan posted:

"Hey man, I can heal all your ills with this CRAZY poo poo I got here" :v:

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Zeruel posted:

Jojo... i t h u r t s....

Jousuke Jousuke Jousuke Jousuke Jousuke Jousuke Jousuke Jousuke Jousuke Jousuke Jousuke Jousuke Jousuke Jousuke Jousuke Jousuke Jousuke Jousuke Jousuke Jousuke Jousuke Jousuke Jousuke Jousuke Jousuke Jousuke Jousuke Jousuke Jousuke Jousuke Jousuke Jousuke Jousuke Jousuke Jousuke Jousuke Jousuke Jousuke Jousuke Jousuke Jousuke Jousuke Jousuke Jousuke Jousuke Jousuke Jousuke Jousuke Jousuke Jousuke Jousuke Jousuke Jousuke Jousuke Jousuke Jousuke Jousuke Jousuke Jousuke Jousuke

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

College Slice

Funky Valentine posted:

Jou~~~suke Jou~~~suke Jou~~~suke Jou~~~suke Jou~~~suke Jou~~~suke Jou~~~suke Jou~~~suke Jou~~~suke Jou~~~suke Jou~~~suke Jou~~~suke Jou~~~suke Jou~~~suke Jou~~~suke Jou~~~suke Jou~~~suke Jou~~~suke Jou~~~suke Jou~~~suke Jou~~~suke Jou~~~suke Jou~~~suke Jou~~~suke Jou~~~suke Jou~~~suke Jou~~~suke Jou~~~suke Jou~~~suke Jou~~~suke Jou~~~suke Jou~~~suke Jou~~~suke Jou~~~suke Jou~~~suke Jou~~~suke Jou~~~suke Jou~~~suke Jou~~~suke Jou~~~suke Jou~~~suke Jou~~~suke Jou~~~suke Jou~~~suke Jou~~~suke Jou~~~suke Jou~~~suke Jou~~~suke

ftfy

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

CodfishCartographer posted:

Honestly he probably just doesn't know what it means in Spanish. The pronunciation is likely supposed to be more even all throughout, each syllable getting roughly the same speaking time and emphasis. Lo-ca-ca-ca.

I also wonder if "rokakaka" and "locacaca" are supposed to be the same word all along.

They are the same word and sound the same.
HWMN's translator is a stickler for translating how things should be in strict Hepburn kinda poo poo.

It's why Jousuke is Jou when literally everything has the Josukes as Jo and why Jotaro is almost never Joutarou now.

A good scan group would adopt Arakis visual localisations when the make sense as a word in English.

Like we know Kaato is meant to start with C but nope

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Josuke Higashikata posted:

They are the same word and sound the same.
HWMN's translator is a stickler for translating how things should be in strict Hepburn kinda poo poo.

It's why Jousuke is Jou when literally everything has the Josukes as Jo and why Jotaro is almost never Joutarou now.

A good scan group would adopt Arakis visual localisations when the make sense as a word in English.

Like we know Kaato is meant to start with C but nope

Oh yeah definitely, I just don't know if we've seen rokakaka localized by Araki until now, have we? I'm also curious what the original japanese text for some of this reads, the line "locacaca? Is that the rokakaka?" would be real weird otherwise. Anyone know where one can find raw japanese scans?

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
"Wel come to mor io ioh oh mo rio oh"

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Meme Emulator posted:

For the spoilered part hes going to snatch the new rokokaka which should get him to cross paths with the doctor, right? That way hes not chasing him, but he might be forced into encountering him?

Yeah he changed his goal from going after the doctor to finding the rokokaka, which deactivates the stand even if Gappy might encounter the doctor on the way.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
Here's a dumb question: do we know when Jojolion is supposed to end, at least in theory?
I'd rather wait until it's complete before I read it, but if it's clearly endgame I might start right after SBR. The only thing I know about the part is the meme about the fact that it's still not clear who the antagonist is, which is worrying.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
There is honestly no way of knowing if we are in the endgame yet. Its getting pretty climatic but the climax could go on for nine more volumes for all we know

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

JoJolion has also climaxed like three times already

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
You're going to have to wait the same amount of time regardless of whether you start now or just before it ends, but I guess I can see the appeal in marathoning it.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

JoJolion has also climaxed like three times already

This is the power of four balls.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Bear in mind they spent over a year just fighting Valentine, this neverending climax might be going on for quite a bit longer still

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
IMO the things we should be concerned about are less whether this is the climax of the part and more how the hell is araki going to tie up all of the loose ends in a way that is satisfying considering just how disjointed, contradictory, and otherwise incoherent this part has been with its story

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
The best way to tell would honestly be to look at page counts.

Ignoring parts 1 & 2, since they're much shorter than the others:

Part 3: 3,045 pages
Part 4: 3,476
Part 5: 3,121
Part 6: 3,260
Part 7: 4,290
Part 8: 3,935 (as of the most recent chapter)

So Part 8 is probably in the climax, or at least nearing it. With an average of 42 pages per chapter, we have about 7-8 chapters until we get to Part 7 length. Of course, Jojolion could go on much longer than Part 7, but I'd expect it to end within about a year.

CodfishCartographer fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Nov 20, 2019

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the rokakaka getting a countdown was probably one of the biggest signs that it's nearing some sort of ending stretch

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Karera and Kyo died on their way back to their home planet. Also what the gently caress is a wall eye

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
The wall eye is Jesus Juice seeping into the ground

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
The weird symbol in the higashikata estate that got josuke to find another clue elsewhere but it didn't seem to accomplish much, like hell if I know what the symbol actually was and what it meant

That face of the person josuke remembered, yotsuyu saying he killed josuke but he didn't, karera having a photo that never happened, wall eyes, josuke's soapy bubbles not actually being bubbles but rather strands of string spinning so fast that they look like bubbles, I don't even know anymore.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

do you guys think Akefu's Stand ability is anything like「Love Train」 ? at one point, I thought it must be related because the things happening to Josuke's party as they went after him seemed like forced misfortune, like tables and chairs getting in their way as they ran

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Am I the only one who rolled my eyes when reaching True Man's World in part 7? Specifically when the dude reveals the secret of his stand ability. I was super drawn in and intrigued by it, I thought it might be a stand that affected the geography of an area or did something funky with the fabric of spacetime, but NOPE! I can rewind time 6 seconds hyuk hyuk hyuk

I'm so done with time fuckery as an ability, but it looks like araki sure isn't!

e: to be fair, the ensuing fight and the way it was won was pretty cool. But man, my eyes straight glazed over and skipped the bits where he explains how his stand worked because I was taken right out of it for a bit.

I have a couple of other extremely minor gripes that I'll go in to when I'm able to screenshot stuff again but so far I'm in love with part 7. Still mourning the end of part 6 though :(

Son of Thunderbeast fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Nov 20, 2019

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Should I try to catch up with Jojolion now or wait until we're sure it's ending.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Ringo Roadagain might be the sexiest dude in JoJo tbh.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Personally I'd go with Diavolo or Abbacchio

But yeah Ringo is sexy af

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Close second after Damo Tamaki

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
The ringo fight is good

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Yeah yeah the fights good i was just disappointed in his stand ability

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Am I the only one who rolled my eyes when reaching True Man's World in part 7? Specifically when the dude reveals the secret of his stand ability. I was super drawn in and intrigued by it, I thought it might be a stand that affected the geography of an area or did something funky with the fabric of spacetime, but NOPE! I can rewind time 6 seconds hyuk hyuk hyuk

I'm so done with time fuckery as an ability, but it looks like araki sure isn't!

e: to be fair, the ensuing fight and the way it was won was pretty cool. But man, my eyes straight glazed over and skipped the bits where he explains how his stand worked because I was taken right out of it for a bit.

I have a couple of other extremely minor gripes that I'll go in to when I'm able to screenshot stuff again but so far I'm in love with part 7. Still mourning the end of part 6 though :(

I hate ringo roadagain and the true man's world but that's because I think the arc presents a romanticized shooter. While jojo usually presents crazy people with ridiculous worldviews as antagonists it usually doesn't show their pasts trying to make them relatable nor makes the protagonists grow by becoming more like the antagonist in question. gently caress ringo roadagain and gently caress the true man's world.

Some people hate stroheim being a funny nazi man, I hate ringo roadagain being a romanticized shooter.

Cool fight tho.