Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sordas Volantyr
Jan 11, 2015

Now, everybody, walk like a Jekhar.

(God, these running animations are terrible.)
Roses are red / Chefs work in kitchens

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Sordas Volantyr posted:

Roses are red / Chefs work in kitchens

Morrow said that he wasn’t going to “let the birds down”, “even if I had to drive up to Auckland and feed them myself while looking for homes for them.”

They've found homes for 700 of them so far. :unsmith:

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Caught between two worlds...
what a hero :kimchi:

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Wow that's a ton of pots to fill. Good on him for helping out tho

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
We lost Uranus yesterday. She was looking lethargic on Saturday, so we took her into the house and did all the things we usually do for a sick chicken. I held off on euthanizing her because she seemed to rally a bit on Sunday morning, but a couple hours later she stopped breathing. Her symptoms were consistent with ascites, but I think she may have eaten something toxic while foraging.

This one hit us pretty hard. We've had pullets and lost them, but Uranus is part of the original flock we got the first winter after we moved into our house.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Halloween Jack posted:

We lost Uranus yesterday.
Aw sorry. How old was she?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Two years and 3-4 months. Too young!

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Thinking of your family and flock, Jack. You were a good family to Uranus who lived a happy life.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

What do you mean you lost MY anus?

I'm sorry I'm sorry I had to. in all seriousness condolences, that always sucks about pets.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Oh, many jokes were had over the years. I thought maybe it was a bad idea, but we were running out of planets.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

I'm very sorry about Uranus. :(

My girls are very active layers now. 9 eggs since Friday! All perfect and creamy and brown. Tomorrow's breakfast is decided!

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Question for my fellow posters where it is now cold. How much warmer than the outside air is your coops? Mine is ventilated but not drafty but has been tracking the outside temperature even at night with the door shut. My coop is a little big for the amount of chickens I have now and I'm worried that it might be an issue as we get further into winter. This is my first winter with my hens and I don't know if I'm being overly parinoid.

Lawson
Apr 21, 2006

You're right, I agree.
Total Clam

Source4Leko posted:

Question for my fellow posters where it is now cold. How much warmer than the outside air is your coops? Mine is ventilated but not drafty but has been tracking the outside temperature even at night with the door shut. My coop is a little big for the amount of chickens I have now and I'm worried that it might be an issue as we get further into winter. This is my first winter with my hens and I don't know if I'm being overly parinoid.

That all depends on where in the world you are, and what kind of birds you have. We have (&had) RIR, BR, Polish crested, and misc. mutts in New Jersey, and our coop provides nothing but shelter from wind and rain. The temperature is the same as outside. In the first year I was paranoid too, and gave them a heat lamp, and then a space heater (set on really low). This didn't really make a difference. It only got the electricity bill up, and made me paranoid about starting a fire. So now I don't do anything and they're all fine. The only thing I do have is a heated drinker to prevent it from freezing. But as I said, if you're raising Fayoumis in Greenland you may have to give them a little extra heat.

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Lawson posted:

That all depends on where in the world you are, and what kind of birds you have. We have (&had) RIR, BR, Polish crested, and misc. mutts in New Jersey, and our coop provides nothing but shelter from wind and rain. The temperature is the same as outside. In the first year I was paranoid too, and gave them a heat lamp, and then a space heater (set on really low). This didn't really make a difference. It only got the electricity bill up, and made me paranoid about starting a fire. So now I don't do anything and they're all fine. The only thing I do have is a heated drinker to prevent it from freezing. But as I said, if you're raising Fayoumis in Greenland you may have to give them a little extra heat.

Chicago, so not quite Greenland but it feels close enough in the mornings. I have barred rocks, a buff Orpington, a buff bhrama(without feathered legs for some reason) and white Cochin, and a Rhode island red. All are allegedly at least somewhat cold hardy birds and I have a heated waterer and an overbuilt coop. I think I'm just being paranoid but I would feel awful if I woke up to a bunch of frostbitten birds.

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

Source4Leko posted:

Chicago, so not quite Greenland but it feels close enough in the mornings. I have barred rocks, a buff Orpington, a buff bhrama(without feathered legs for some reason) and white Cochin, and a Rhode island red. All are allegedly at least somewhat cold hardy birds and I have a heated waterer and an overbuilt coop. I think I'm just being paranoid but I would feel awful if I woke up to a bunch of frostbitten birds.

Chickens are incredibly good at turning corn into heat. We're in Minneapolis, so we get pretty brutal winters too, and we've never had a bird freeze. We did bring them inside for a couple nights during the polar vortex last year but that was for our own sake so we didn't have to go outside to check on them. We mostly have to worry about keeping their water unfrozen and food accessible. That and keeping the coop clean and as dry as possible - some days ours don't really have any interest in leaving the coop, so they just stand there and poo poo all day so it gets nastier faster, but other than that, there's not much to worry about. They're very well-insulated little creatures.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

my cat is norris posted:

My girls are very active layers now. 9 eggs since Friday! All perfect and creamy and brown. Tomorrow's breakfast is decided!

Fucks sake. Zilla's my only layer right now. The other three don't even have significant combs or wattles yet. Zilla's such a loving bully too. She's especially hard on Ella, always chasing her off food as a priority. Resources aren't a problem, they've always got access to food. I've even been setting feeding sources far apart so Ella has lower odds of getting hosed with when trying to eat, but Zilla will drop everything and gently caress with Ella if she sees her poking at a pile of food. I wonder if Zilla being a monumental butch rear end in a top hat is discouraging development in the other hens.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

the look of judgement

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

hope and vaseline posted:

the look of judgement

breathtaking

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Rip_Van_Winkle posted:

Chickens are incredibly good at turning corn into heat. We're in Minneapolis, so we get pretty brutal winters too, and we've never had a bird freeze. We did bring them inside for a couple nights during the polar vortex last year but that was for our own sake so we didn't have to go outside to check on them. We mostly have to worry about keeping their water unfrozen and food accessible. That and keeping the coop clean and as dry as possible - some days ours don't really have any interest in leaving the coop, so they just stand there and poo poo all day so it gets nastier faster, but other than that, there's not much to worry about. They're very well-insulated little creatures.

The important thing is to check their wattles and combs. Their breath is warm and moist, and if it condenses on their skin it can lead to frostbite there. If they have relatively small wattles/combs they will probably be fine

Lawson
Apr 21, 2006

You're right, I agree.
Total Clam

DarkHorse posted:

The important thing is to check their wattles and combs. Their breath is warm and moist, and if it condenses on their skin it can lead to frostbite there. If they have relatively small wattles/combs they will probably be fine

Frostbite is distressing for sure, and try what you can do to avoid it -- but even so, it's not the end of the world, and in a while your frostbitten birds will be fine. Our first rooster was not right for our climate, a modern game bantam with a pretty big comb. Here's my frostbite story from upthread:

Lawson posted:

He'll probably shake his head a lot, and I'd expect that some of the points will fall off. Eventually he'll be fine. It took our rooster maybe a couple of months until his comb was fully healed -- without sharp points. It stinks to watch him and not be able to do much, but the best you can do is to not let it happen again.

eta:

original:

frostbitten -- it's heartbreaking to see him try to shake it off:

two years later:

He doesn't give a poo poo that his points are never coming back.

Aside, because I didn't know this when I got that rooster: of the modern game bantams you may see at a show, many have their comb and wattles cropped (dubbed?). So there's that. They're OK w/o comb/wattles, it's just the process of getting there that's upsetting.

Lawson
Apr 21, 2006

You're right, I agree.
Total Clam

Lawson posted:

of the modern game bantams you may see at a show, many have their comb and wattles cropped (dubbed?).

OK so it's dubbing. And don't anybody read into it that I'm OK with this.

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

finally gave in to terrorist demands and planted some shrubs for the quail, hopefully the landlord won't mind

the quail are noticeably happier under the shrubs even though they provide zero cover at this point

i live to serve them

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://twitter.com/foxfeather/status/1196499610027614211

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

shells are pip :supaburn:

when it comes to hatching, every time is like the very first time

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

fauna posted:

shells are pip :supaburn:

when it comes to hatching, every time is like the very first time

I'm thinking of doing a "Duckling Don'ts" post. Is this the appropriate thread or should I start a new one?

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Everyone posted:

I'm thinking of doing a "Duckling Don'ts" post. Is this the appropriate thread or should I start a new one?
absolutely, chickens are in the title but it's been a multipurpose poultry thread for years. (tbh ducklings are welcome in any thread, no matter how off-topic)

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

fauna posted:

absolutely, chickens are in the title but it's been a multipurpose poultry thread for years. (tbh ducklings are welcome in any thread, no matter how off-topic)

I don't know. I might still make it its own thread just because it's easier for people to search for a thread than for a post within a thread. Also, I'd probably make it a Duckling Dos and Don'ts but my contribution will be some Don'ts. That way other people will more firsthand knowledge can contribute to it. I want it to be a helpful resource for people going "I found/bought/was given a baby duckling/gosling/whatever, please tell me how to not kill it!"

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Everyone posted:

I don't know. I might still make it its own thread just because it's easier for people to search for a thread than for a post within a thread. Also, I'd probably make it a Duckling Dos and Don'ts but my contribution will be some Don'ts. That way other people will more firsthand knowledge can contribute to it. I want it to be a helpful resource for people going "I found/bought/was given a baby duckling/gosling/whatever, please tell me how to not kill it!"

It's probably fine to do both.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Quail babies??!

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

my cat is norris posted:

Quail babies??!
they're close! all four eggs are pipped and i can hear them bibbiting away in there when i pick the eggs up

from the shell colours i think i have three hot chips and a frida quailo, which is wonderful. and they are all 100% pure undiluted red-headed felafel

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Awesome!

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

help

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

the three hot chip babies were born first and they're all as golden as spring daffodils :3: frida's child is taking their time so of course i'm fretting, i hope that one survives and is the natural colour so i can tell them apart from the others

soon i'll be in a position to start teaching people irl about keeping quail. i think they have a lot of potential as pets for people who can't have chickens for whatever reason, especially limited space/mobility. most poultry people seem to go through a mild-to-moderate hoarder phase as a general learning thing, and there was a while where i had like seventy (this was on land), but now i know they are far more rewarding emotionally (as pets) when you just have a small flock and get to know them as individuals. hatching only a few eggs at a time is an important part of that process, both for you and for the quail

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

i ended up with a nice diversity of birds just by dealing with a diversity of breeders. felafel and moon unit (rip) were bred for personality, hot chip and lilly pilly (rip) were bred for meat and egg quality, and frida quailo wasn't selectively bred by anything but fate and i also think comes from some weird ancient talking japanese songbird line. and i will never forget poor sweet pavlova (rip), who was bred exclusively for purity of whiteness, her whole line being brown-and-white tuxedos progressively inbred further and further to eliminate all specks of brown, and who did not know instinctively like the others how to scratch for her own grain and ended up dying from eating too much dirt

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Thank you for sharing so much info on quail. I might be interested as it fits our home situation from what I can tell.

One major question though, how are they with cold weather? I live in New England and while I'm coastal it's not as bad as like, middle of nowhere Maine, we still have pretty rough winters.

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

That Works posted:

Thank you for sharing so much info on quail. I might be interested as it fits our home situation from what I can tell.

One major question though, how are they with cold weather? I live in New England and while I'm coastal it's not as bad as like, middle of nowhere Maine, we still have pretty rough winters.
i'm glad someone is reading it and i'm not just whitenoising into the void :shobon: quail are fantastic, but i try to show both sides of the quail experience (the joy and the sorrow) to emphasise that they're not the perfect pet for everybody, emotionally/psychologically speaking

as for the cold, i've never lost a quail to cold and i've kept them in places where night temperatures would occasionally dip below freezing, but unfortunately don't really know much about new england winters. australian desert winters are very dry and very frosty, without snow, and most of the time they would sleep on the bare ground, it was mostly only when it rained that they slept in the waterproof nesting area. they seem to be pretty tolerant of cold. so i think if you buy locally bred birds, they'll do fine as long as you make sure part of their enclosure is waterproof and lined with soft warm nesting materials for the very bad nights

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

quail bebbes, awwwww

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

How specifically are quail as pets compared to chickens? Are they as messy/loud?

Lysistrata
Sep 12, 2003
Anyone who truly believes he has friends is a fool.

fauna posted:

i'm glad someone is reading it and i'm not just whitenoising into the void

You are not. I can't have quails where I am, but your posts about them make me wish I could.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

fauna posted:

i'm glad someone is reading it and i'm not just whitenoising into the void :shobon: quail are fantastic, but i try to show both sides of the quail experience (the joy and the sorrow) to emphasise that they're not the perfect pet for everybody, emotionally/psychologically speaking

as for the cold, i've never lost a quail to cold and i've kept them in places where night temperatures would occasionally dip below freezing, but unfortunately don't really know much about new england winters. australian desert winters are very dry and very frosty, without snow, and most of the time they would sleep on the bare ground, it was mostly only when it rained that they slept in the waterproof nesting area. they seem to be pretty tolerant of cold. so i think if you buy locally bred birds, they'll do fine as long as you make sure part of their enclosure is waterproof and lined with soft warm nesting materials for the very bad nights

I am reading all of your quail posts as the girlfriend and I are looking at raising our own next summer. :justpost: