Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Don’t the BBC own Dave anyway, and thus Taskmaster?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

The_Doctor posted:

Don’t the BBC own Dave anyway, and thus Taskmaster?
It's owned by BBC "actually legally allowed to make money" worldwide, so the public arm still has to put forward a proposal to buy it off itself.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

I highly recommend watching Guilt which is on iPlayer atm. It's maybe on regular telly depending on your region, I think it's on BBC Scotland first.

Anyway, it's well worth a watch.
Really twisty, plot-thickens thing.
Great cast too.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m0009qm2/guilt-series-1-episode-1

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
So, who's going to be subscribing to BritBox? Anyone? Personally I'm not gonna, although if all the Channel 4 back catalogue is available without ads and with decent quality then I might...

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

The Perfect Element posted:

So, who's going to be subscribing to BritBox? Anyone? Personally I'm not gonna, although if all the Channel 4 back catalogue is available without ads and with decent quality then I might...

It's specifically BBC and ITV, so I doubt there'll be much if any C4 stuff, especially given Channel 4 have a lot of their back catalogue on All 4 anyway. I could see the point when it was non-UK only but I really don't see why you'd use it in the UK.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The Perfect Element posted:

That’s been available over here in the US for a few years, they’ve negotiated rights to do it in the UK too now? Wonder how much the library is different.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Taear posted:

Alton Towers has the 14 loop rollercoaster and I've been on it, I don't expect 15 being too bad in all honesty.
But Alton Towers has a ride called 13 that goes backwards as well, I don't really see why going backwards is such a mad thing. Although they're going backwards and are flying like on Air so maybe that's different enough?

The “Saw” themed coaster at Alton towers (I think, maybe Thorpe Park) was the least pleasant I’ve ever been on by far.

It was pitch black for most of it.
It was jerky as gently caress.
It changed direction a couple of times and went backwards.

Just being dark means there’s no way to see ahead of time what’s happening and brave yourself, so it’s rough.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

wooger posted:

The “Saw” themed coaster at Alton towers (I think, maybe Thorpe Park) was the least pleasant I’ve ever been on by far.

It was pitch black for most of it.
It was jerky as gently caress.
It changed direction a couple of times and went backwards.

Just being dark means there’s no way to see ahead of time what’s happening and brave yourself, so it’s rough.

Saw isn't a dark ride I don't think, it's a normal outdoor rollercoaster at Thorpe Park. Its main gimmick is the main drop is vertical and has an overhang. No Way Out was Thorpe Park's old indoor dark coaster, and that got replaced with a Walking Dead themed ride.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
I didn't think much of the new His Dark Materials on the BBC so when I saw a bad review pop up on my feed I had a look at it to see what other peoples' complaints were... of course it was the Spectactor and half the article was complaining about there being too many blacks in it. Fucksake.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
HDM was alright, basically serviceable, but nothing amazing so far. I don’t know if it’s the sound mix or there’s just lots of whispering, but I found it fairly hard to understand what was being said at some points.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

njsykora posted:

Saw isn't a dark ride I don't think, it's a normal outdoor rollercoaster at Thorpe Park. Its main gimmick is the main drop is vertical and has an overhang. No Way Out was Thorpe Park's old indoor dark coaster, and that got replaced with a Walking Dead themed ride.

It's got a fairly long indoor dark section before it gets to the big drop iirc

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

eating only apples posted:

It's got a fairly long indoor dark section before it gets to the big drop iirc

I thought that bit was entirely story stuff and nothing actually happened in there, but I haven't actually been to Thorpe so I don't know for sure.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Marmaduke! posted:

I didn't think much of the new His Dark Materials on the BBC so when I saw a bad review pop up on my feed I had a look at it to see what other peoples' complaints were... of course it was the Spectactor and half the article was complaining about there being too many blacks in it. Fucksake.

I'd no idea the spectator was so lovely, welp.
I read a 5 star review in the guardian, lol.
I didn't really dig it sadly, can't put my finger on why. Kids would love it I guess.

The guardian also had a glowing review of the accident (ch 4).
It has a good cast (with bad welsh accents) and some decent production staff, but it's a total turd.
It's got that itv look too. It's worth a watch for some genuinely hilariously bad moments.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
The Spectator is absolutely horrendous and the content was about what I would expect from it. Still horrifying to stumble onto though.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Marmaduke! posted:

The Spectator is absolutely horrendous and the content was about what I would expect from it. Still horrifying to stumble onto though.

I was looking up actor Wentworth Miller the other day (quite enjoying Prison Break but to be honest it was because of Legends of Tomorrow) and stumbled across a blog post where someone actually used the word 'quadroon'. loving *quadroon*. Christ almighty.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
It's a very Boris word in a Boris publication.

Although I don't think they like him much any more.

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.

Fatty posted:

The Apprentice.
Do they not realise that world records for VR rollercoasters don't mean anything? They could have a rollercoaster that goes through 100 loops at the speed of sound, and it would be no extra effort.

I know the apprentice has never been about actual competent business people making good decisions but they're not even pretending at this point. Like there were no budget constrains or any questions even in the direction of "How much is it going to cost to pack this with 2 world records?", purely just "Play on Roller Coaster Tycoon creative mode for a bit, then we'll pick one at seemingly random".

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Tea Bone posted:

I know the apprentice has never been about actual competent business people making good decisions but they're not even pretending at this point. Like there were no budget constrains or any questions even in the direction of "How much is it going to cost to pack this with 2 world records?", purely just "Play on Roller Coaster Tycoon creative mode for a bit, then we'll pick one at seemingly random".

Yea pretty much.
Like I'm down with it as a gameshow where they do group tasks and get eliminated. That's what I enjoy. But at least make it feel real to me because right now it's definitely not feeling real. Too often the team who seems like they've won has hosed up somehow for no reason and it's treated like they're dogshit.
Do a group taskmaster reality show - it'd be fun.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Taear posted:

Yea pretty much.
Like I'm down with it as a gameshow where they do group tasks and get eliminated. That's what I enjoy. But at least make it feel real to me because right now it's definitely not feeling real. Too often the team who seems like they've won has hosed up somehow for no reason and it's treated like they're dogshit.

I feel it would be really improved if they made some of the "gamey" bits more explicit. Like, you have a budget for the bike, here are the rough costs. You have this list of items to find, no you cant use the internet, and you'll be fined £xx for missing/incorrect items. It's stuff that's presumably all there behind the scenes, but we're encouraged to ignore it and pretend they're making actual business decisions.

Austen Tassletine
Nov 5, 2010

Taear posted:

This would be great for a "Taskmaster does the apprentice" children in need/comic relief thing, which could hopefully even spawn a new show. I would genuinely suggest it to the decision makers.

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.

Austen Tassletine posted:

This would be great for a "Taskmaster does the apprentice" children in need/comic relief thing, which could hopefully even spawn a new show. I would genuinely suggest it to the decision makers.

The hypocritical "Why didn't you everything exactly right, regardless of chance outcomes you bloody idiot!" tone of The Apprentice, mixed with the "Interpret the rules however you want" of taskmaster would be glorious!

edit: Watching little Alex Horne take Claude/Karens role of grumpy judgemental business guru would be worth it alone.

Tea Bone fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Nov 13, 2019

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

Marmaduke! posted:

That's a shame, I think it's pretty brilliant myself. I think they've nailed the 'feel' of the opening of Northern Lights brilliantly, and the girl that plays Lyra is as good as you could reasonably expect a kid to be.

Kind of made me emotional, because I think it will end up being the definitive screen version of these books, and that's quite exciting because I can imagine watching it with my daughter when she's a few years older. So maybe parental sentimentalism is colouring my judgement.

Was there anything in particular you didn't like about it?

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Just a shaky start as they were finding their feet, I think, second episode was much better. Maybe subconsciously I just don't like James McAvoy?

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Marmaduke! posted:

Maybe subconsciously I just don't like James McAvoy?

Unacceptable

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I found my attention wandering a lot during Ep 2 of Northern Lights, but I enjoyed the expanded stuff with the Magisterium in ‘our’ Oxford.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Tea Bone posted:

The hypocritical "Why didn't you everything exactly right, regardless of chance outcomes you bloody idiot!" tone of The Apprentice, mixed with the "Interpret the rules however you want" of taskmaster would be glorious!

edit: Watching little Alex Horne take Claude/Karens role of grumpy judgemental business guru would be worth it alone.

I need the schadenfraude of Karen telling candidates how poo poo they are when she has done a shocking job at West Ham.

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

Bacon Terrorist posted:

I need the schadenfraude of Karen telling candidates how poo poo they are when she has done a shocking job at West Ham.

She wrote a column about Snodgrass obviously not being good enough for West Ham and the kind of player they needed to improve on when he was on loan in the championship, then he came back and played the majority of the next season.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Watched the first two episodes of Fortitude on the train to/back from London and it seemed decent if not amazing, is it worth sticking with?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

So now all the ethnic minorities have been kicked off apprentice other than Dean I guess? It is pretty insane that it's happened this way and I know people will just go "well they were the worst candidates" but come on.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Taear posted:

So now all the ethnic minorities have been kicked off apprentice other than Dean I guess? It is pretty insane that it's happened this way and I know people will just go "well they were the worst candidates" but come on.
It's been pretty widely seen that way this year, especially with Dean surviving and Aisha(sp?) going last week based on "previous tasks"

Aisha saved a pitch in the toy task and was commended for it.
She led the team to the very significant bike victory.
Dean did nothing.

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

It's official. Taskmaster is off to Channel 4.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

This week's episode annoyed me so much, god drat I loving hate the team that screws it up loads winning.
drat you apprentice.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Tsietisin posted:

How long before 8 Cats Does Taskmaster?

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

"You'll never know if you can fly unless you take the risk of falling."

Tsietisin posted:

I hope it follows the formula of Bake-Off and goes to Netflix so people globally can enjoy it.

But I get the eery feeling it's gonna play like Crystal Maze - where it'll be Alex Horne looking into the camera "It's task time viewers, for your chance to win £10,000, guess how many smarties Richard Ayoade consumed in one minute.

Also, a "Stand Up To Cancer" special where it's all people from Love Island.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

If it was Crystal Maze they'd have Alex mentioning how fake the show is at every opportunity.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

I'm a lot happier with Channel 4 getting Taskmaster than BBC1 getting their hands on it.

Plus (and this is going to divide a lot of people) I may finally get to see Jimmy Carr on Taskmaster. Which let's face it, would be brilliant.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
I’d be up for that

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

thehustler posted:

I’d be up for that

I think that could have happened on Dave, he's done work on it before and Taskmaster is/was their biggest original show.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

BizarroAzrael posted:

I think that could have happened on Dave, he's done work on it before and Taskmaster is/was their biggest original show.

As far as i'm aware he did two episodes of Alan Davies: As yet Untitled but nothing else for Dave. He's probably Channel 4's biggest name, i'm sure they would definitely want him on their sparkly new late night show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
Nobody mentioned Giri/Haji here? I saw one episode yesterday while flipping through the channels. It looks pretty good?