Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
I asked a while ago and didn't want to risk getting plastic bottles for the alcohol to eat through. Before this I was using a pipette from a bottle of beard oil that I was washing between every colour and it got kind of a pain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
amazon sells 500 disposable pipettes for like $15

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

And if you look on aliexpress or wish you pay even less.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Sultan Tarquin posted:

I asked a while ago and didn't want to risk getting plastic bottles for the alcohol to eat through. Before this I was using a pipette from a bottle of beard oil that I was washing between every colour and it got kind of a pain.

If the bottles are made from LDPE (low density polyethelyne), which they most likely are, it is safe for alcohol, mineral spirits, turpenoid, and lacquer thinner. I've used LDPE bottles for storing those solvents for years with no problems. I use a sheet of HDPE as a base for my spray booth and can say that HDPE is also safe for lacquer thinner, mineral spirits, and alcohol from my testing.

A quick google search on "what dissolves LDPE" comes up with benzene, toluene, chlorobenzene, isooctane, xylene and trichloroethylene so you're out of luck if you want to store your squadron putty in a little plastic bottle.

Skunkduster fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Nov 14, 2019

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

In that case maybe the glass was a little over the top. But I'd prefer that over reams of disposables.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Also they look pretty. How much did you shell out?

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

It was just over £1 for a bottle with a discount for 25. Of course as soon as I got them today I found the exact same ones for a bit cheaper from a different site. You live and learn!

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Well worth it TBH.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

SkunkDuster posted:

I use a sheet of HDPE as a base for my spray booth and can say that HDPE is also safe for lacquer thinner, mineral spirits, and alcohol from my testing.

I think HDPE is what Tamiya and Mr Hobby sell their thinners in so it should be pretty safe.

Does anyone know if PET is safe for thinned lacquer paint? It's remarkably difficult to find any clear information about this subject.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

Bill Posters posted:

I think HDPE is what Tamiya and Mr Hobby sell their thinners in so it should be pretty safe.

Does anyone know if PET is safe for thinned lacquer paint? It's remarkably difficult to find any clear information about this subject.

https://www.coleparmer.com/Chemical-Resistance

Doesn't have PET but LDPE is fine.

(I don't see why it wouldn't be fine, PET is a more rigid poleyethelene plastic)

Puddin fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Nov 15, 2019

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

I recently picked up some of these for thinners/iso/cleaner:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07JQQRQMX/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_1?smid=A3KWCXOHY40SSM&psc=1

They havent disintegrated so far.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

This mecha varnish is loving magic. Just deleted the gloss even on the first light coat. Haven't seen any frosting yet either but drat if I'm not impressed so far. Still felt rather thick even with a couple drops of flow improver though.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
I love it, but I haven't been able to find any more matte varnish from that brand. I had to settle for the AK ultra matte, which is also very good but you have to shake it very vigorously.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

Is there even a difference between the lucky ultra matt and the ak ultra? being practically the same company and all. I was seeing conflicting things about the quality of them.

e: Did some more work on the MAZ. Feel like it's 'done'. I tried to add the search lamps but they just looked totally out of place due to the colour of the paint, also the gas cans and fire extinguisher which would probably have the same effect. due to not being matt coated and dulled with washes. Also gently caress photoetch. Just gently caress it. Took so long trying to get those window wipers on for them to fall off just by looking at them.

I'll chalk it down to "It's Russian, they fell off"

e2: Decided I'm not done with it so I dirtied the hell out of the wheels and the chassis. Now to wait days for the oil paint to dry while I start the Su-33 tomorrow.

Sultan Tarquin fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Nov 17, 2019

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
what's the name of that tan-green molding clay stuff that people use alot for modifying kits and making sandbags and such? I know it's some really popular thing but i can't for the life of me remember what it's called.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
Green stuff?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I've had no luck trying to make "grass track" but finally went and did it anyways and it turned out ok. The grass was a little too long so I took my beard trimmer to it, running it along the top of the rails as a guide. It actually mowed the grass!

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Diabetes Forecast posted:

what's the name of that tan-green molding clay stuff that people use alot for modifying kits and making sandbags and such? I know it's some really popular thing but i can't for the life of me remember what it's called.

There's "Green Stuff" which is very green when mixed and not really tan at all. Then you have "Milliput - yellow-gray" which is most likely what you are thinking of. I found it to be a little coarse and prefer the finer "Milliput - White", but I'm also terrible at sculpting, so maybe (probably) it is just me. There is also "Super Sculpy" which is tan and I really like that stuff. The other popular one I can think of is "Apoxie Sculpt" which is sort of a mid-gray color.

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

Milliput is nice because it dries very hard so it's easier to sand smooth and carve, while Greenstuff dries a bit more rubbery which makes it good for fabrics like tarps and sandbags etc. You can combine the two to get both effects, depending on the ratio.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
Maybe stupid question: I got some Vallejo 'Game Color' paint (because it was the colour I wanted and they sold it in a local shop) but it's incredibly thick and I'm trying to thin it down for airbrushing. I've been using IPA, but at this point I'm up to about 75% IPA/25 paint and the cocktail stick I'm stirring with is still standing upright on its own in this stuff. Am I wasting my time? Should I be using something else to thin it?

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Unkempt posted:

Maybe stupid question: I got some Vallejo 'Game Color' paint (because it was the colour I wanted and they sold it in a local shop) but it's incredibly thick and I'm trying to thin it down for airbrushing. I've been using IPA, but at this point I'm up to about 75% IPA/25 paint and the cocktail stick I'm stirring with is still standing upright on its own in this stuff. Am I wasting my time? Should I be using something else to thin it?

Don't thin vallejo with IPA, turns into a gummy mess.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Symetrique posted:

Yes, I now have a jarful of gummy mess. Just water then? Or should I stick it in the bin?

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Unkempt posted:

Yes, I now have a jarful of gummy mess. Just water then? Or should I stick it in the bin?

Yeah, water should work fine. If you have some generic acrylic retarder or flow improver try using those too.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
I spray their model color line. I mix 95% airbrush thinner to 5% liquitex flow aid. Then mix that 1:1 or 2:1 (thinner:paint) and it sprays reasonably well. You'll never escape dry tip, but it's the best performing mix I've found in 6 years of trying to spray vallejo model color.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

I use the Vallejo Airbrush Thinner and Flow improver to thin their paints. I'm pretty sure the flow improver is just retarder. I rarely airbrush acrylics anymore, but still use the thinner and improver for brush painting as the model color line is too thick even for brushes. Well, my old jars are too thick - your results my vary. For airbrush thinning, I don't have much confidence in exact ratios because some paints are just thicker out of the jar or bottle than others. I do all my mixing in 1oz or 1/2oz portion cups (like you would get at a restaurant to put ketchup in) and smear the paint along the wall of the cup while I'm mixing to judge thickness/opacity.

On a related note, I'd really like to know what Mr. Color Leveling Thinner is made of. I'm betting you could make the stuff for 1/10th the price from stuff at the hardware store if you knew what was in there.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
Even with model air Vallejo paints dry incredibly fast. You'll always need to 3an the tip with a q-tip regularly to avoid tip try.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Symetrique posted:

It's also a waste of beer!

Dr. Phildo
Dec 8, 2003

Except the heaven had come so near,
So seemed to choose my door,The distance would not haunt me so

Soiled Meat
With the Vallejo bottles, not sure where I heard this, but as far as getting the paint mixed - give the bottle a good roll on a flat surface (rolling pin style) then shake it like it owes you money. For spraying, anything designed for water based acrylic stuff should be fine to use with it.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I got a pack of stainless steel ball-bearings to plop in my Vallejo bottles and it's super good for helping mix.

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

Baronjutter posted:

I got a pack of stainless steel ball-bearings to plop in my Vallejo bottles and it's super good for helping mix.

Dont use ball bearing in their medium, I found out the hard way... I now use glass beads.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Molentik posted:

Dont use ball bearing in their medium, I found out the hard way... I now use glass beads.

Did they rust or was it something else?

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
Airbrush thinner talk...

Commercial airbrush thinner is just IPA and Water, you can make your own at home for cheap, mix IPA and distilled water 1:9.
The IPA breaks down the binding agent, and the water dilutes the paint. If you just use IPA it will break down the binder and then immediately evaporate and leave you with a mess.
Flow Improver is a de-surfaceant (breaks surface tension) and a drying retarder. It makes the paint flow through the brush better and leaves it wet just a bit longer, too much flow improver will cause the paint to slide off your surface giving you pooling or spiderwebbing.

When you're using a thick Acrylic paint like Game Color, use thinner to get it to the consistency you need for airbrushing, and then add a little flow improver to make sure it flows and doesn't dry in the brush.
If you're using airbrush ready Acrylic paint like Model Air, just use some flow improver to keep it from drying too quickly.

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

Pierzak posted:

Did they rust or was it something else?

It wasn't really rust but more blackish. This was after a month or three sitting on a shelf.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
The Swamp Ghost is finally finished!

LSP forum final post here: https://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?/topic/82719-b-17e-41-2446-the-swamp-ghost/
LSP forum build thread here: https://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?/topic/78279-the-swamp-ghost-b-17e-41-2446/

Using my hosting because imgur has started to suck lately. What a trip this has been. I'm super happy with the results.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Molentik posted:

It wasn't really rust but more blackish. This was after a month or three sitting on a shelf.

Yeah if you're going to use ball bearings make sure to get some actually from a hobby shop specifically for use in paint. When I bought mine the guy at the store was telling me how years ago he used some random hardware store ones and ruined all his paints.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Gewehr 43 posted:

That turned out really great! The decals and stencil work on the roundels looks fantastic. Do you have a step-by-step on how you did the wood grained parts? I've tried doing wood grain with oils but it always turns into a nondescript smudgy brown.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Gewehr 43 posted:

Jesus christ that thing is huge. Nice work!

1/32 WnW lancaster next?

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

Symetrique posted:

Jesus christ that thing is huge. Nice work!

1/32 WnW lancaster next?

Thanks! No, 2 1/32 P-47s then maybe the B-25. I did just order the 1/32 B-24J too....

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Beautiful work on that bomber! I love the subtle mottling on the bodywork.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

Finished the Bandai x-wing. I’m happy with it for my first non-car model. Weathering it was a lot of fun. The decals were a huge pain though, found it very difficult to get them to conform without tearing or breaking. Thankfully the kit comes with a spare canopy decal but it’s still pretty bad.