Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

BarbarianElephant posted:

My ancient dumb flatscreen suddenly seems worth keeping.

If you don't like this stuff then yeah, although it's worth pointing out that you can avoid 99% of it by just not letting the TV connect to the internet. I've helped people set up a bunch of smart TVs from a bunch of different brands and I've never found one that would just refuse to be a TV if you left it without wifi access. If you aren't using the features, then any smart TV without an internet connection is just a dumb TV anyway.

It kind of sucks because it's really convenient having a Roku or similar built directly into the TV, but accessing a lot of those features means agreeing to a huge pile of wildly sketchy EULAs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

I'm normally not somebody that is all "who cares about my data" but in the case of a smart TV I am. I have one and I disabled what data collection I could, but 99% of what I do with it is just utilize any one of a number of services that already are tracking every bit of data about my interaction with their service. I don't see what I'm losing by my TV also collecting the same data?

Now I'm not saying it isn't a security risk because it's networked and thus vulnerable to exploits all networked things are, but I have my router/firewall setup to mitigate that risk as much as I'm able.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Mercury Ballistic posted:

Have the car power the house and drain the battery, then call the cops to tow it.

I just saw an add for this company. Seems like putting your prints and Iris scans in the cloud is the core of the business.
https://www.clearme.com/enroll/?p=G...IRoCv6QQAvD_BwE

Pretty much. Clear's goal is to partner with various companies that deal with frequent travellers with the appeal of offering more speed to get through various lines. Delta and Hertz both have partnerships with clear where membership in their frequent traveler stuff can get you a discount for clear or to speed through lines with it. It's never looked like a good value for me. Most of the airports that offer it aren't places where I see much benefit. In theory cutting to the front of the TSA Pre-check line could be fun but when I fly in and out of places like DCA that have it, my timing generally means there is one or two people in line ahead of me at most.

Oh and just for fun, they had a big data breach a few years back.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Paradoxish posted:

It kind of sucks because it's really convenient having a Roku or similar built directly into the TV, but accessing a lot of those features means agreeing to a huge pile of wildly sketchy EULAs.

You’re not missing much.

The apps are never updated and they’ll stop working after six months.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

A TV is just a big rear end monitor

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!
Computer monitors are now TVs for sensible people.

Armadillo Tank
Mar 26, 2010

Tech Nightmare Thread: We reluctantly accept keeping the new telescreen (becauce it was a pain in the rear end to mount)

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
My TV is exclusively used for streaming and switch. So keeping it dumb isn't reallyan option for me, it's the TV aerial I don't have plugged in.

So far I've been lucky that apps still get updated and so far LG aren't pumping out ads to places other than the store app (at least not on my set) . I'm sure that will change at some point though.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Nov 25, 2019

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
https://twitter.com/SkyNewsBreak/status/1198904732267319296?s=19

Uber's lost its license to operate in London again.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

Mega Comrade posted:

My TV is exclusively used for streaming and switch. So keeping it dumb isn't reallyan option for me, it's the TV aerial I don't have plugged in.

So far I've been lucky that apps still get updated and so far LG aren't pumping out ads to places other than the store app (at least not on my set) . I'm sure that will change at some point though.

My LG TV I got in 2016 has already lost it's Hulu app, fwiw

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Mister Facetious posted:

Better idea is to disconnect the outlet from the main, and set it up so it pulls power from the car to a home battery, thus draining the car dead.

I like your idea better, but I wonder if they could also adjust the voltage so it only trickles out.

lovely tesla owner gets in expecting a fully charged car and conks out two blocks down the street rather than on your property.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I like your idea better, but I wonder if they could also adjust the voltage so it only trickles out.

lovely tesla owner gets in expecting a fully charged car and conks out two blocks down the street rather than on your property.
depending on your electricals you can turn off the specific breaker or just disconnect the outlet.

* Seinfeld soup joke here *

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/keithboykin/status/1198272503111540737

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

OhFunny posted:

https://twitter.com/SkyNewsBreak/status/1198904732267319296?s=19

Uber's lost its license to operate in London again.

And just like all the other times they're allowed to continue operating while they appeal.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Thomamelas posted:

Pretty much. Clear's goal is to partner with various companies that deal with frequent travellers with the appeal of offering more speed to get through various lines. Delta and Hertz both have partnerships with clear where membership in their frequent traveler stuff can get you a discount for clear or to speed through lines with it. It's never looked like a good value for me. Most of the airports that offer it aren't places where I see much benefit. In theory cutting to the front of the TSA Pre-check line could be fun but when I fly in and out of places like DCA that have it, my timing generally means there is one or two people in line ahead of me at most.

Oh and just for fun, they had a big data breach a few years back.

This is also the second iteration of Clear. The first one went bankrupt and abruptly closed in 2009, and then some investors bought the assets in 2010 to reboot the service. It was one of those first test cases of "this company went belly-up while holding a ton of sensitive data on a ton of people, now what."

And yeah in 2008 they lost a laptop at SFO that had unencrypted data on 30,000 customers. It was supposedly potentially just "misplaced" in the same office it was reported missing from, but still, unencrypted PII on a laptop.

https://www.sfgate.com/business/article/Lost-laptop-found-in-SFO-office-3201018.php

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

It is increasingly clear that in addition to being more or less aligned with the chuds anyway, Facebook is also just cowardly as gently caress.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

"IPO in 30 minutes or your unicorn's on us!" -Softbank

https://twitter.com/teddyschleifer/status/1197628117415710720

https://twitter.com/Megan_Hernbroth/status/1199064577323028490

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.
I've heard multiple people say Zume pizza is the worst pizza they've ever eaten including microwavable frozen pizzas. They spent so much advertising it around my work. I shouldn't be surprised they were valued at that much, but I'm still utterly shocked.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
We should convince SoftBank that Lowtax's spine is a new tech startup.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
I'm legitimately a little mad, but not surprised, that Zume's real supposed business was "cloud kitchens." You know, this totally new thing where a single kitchen makes hot food and distributes it to small locations that don't have a kitchen. What's a commissary?

On top of re-inventing the bus, it sounds like they found a way to serve pizza that's worse than any of the chains. And I hate the article acting like it was some genius move to just give up on competing with Pizza Hut and instead sell them boxes. Because, sure, gently caress it, Zume's also a restaurant supply company now with a very limited customer base.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

i am harry posted:

I once had a premonition of a future where we live in gated apartment communities guarded by private security and monitored by the leasing agency’s social media thought bots, after receiving an email from the front desk of my apartment complex at the time promising a paltry reward for leaving a positive Facebook review.

I get 2-3 emails a week from RentTrack as apparently my landlord gave them the whole tenant database and they want us to sign up to have our rent reported to the credit agencies. They also beg for fb and Google reviews every time they close a maintenance work order.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
Microsoft Zune pizza

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Garfield Deletes.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Billy Gnosis posted:

I've heard multiple people say Zume pizza is the worst pizza they've ever eaten including microwavable frozen pizzas.

For a company based on California this is especially mind shattering. Like, worse than a pizza in California? :barf:

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

Neo Rasa posted:

For a company based on California this is especially mind shattering. Like, worse than a pizza in California? :barf:

My specific question was "Worse than Round Table? "

Which was met with "yes [pause] worse than Round Table"

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Billy Gnosis posted:

My specific question was "Worse than Round Table? "

Which was met with "yes [pause] worse than Round Table"

Along with many other tech visionaries discussed in this thread the people responsible for Zume should legit be in jail for this.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
i'm trying to wrap my head around the 'pizza cooked in a robot oven en-route' idea and it seems to have so many obvious flaws that can't be engineered away

what happens if you get stuck in traffic or behind some obstacle once you cross the 'cook now' geofence?

how do you ensure the oven is maintaining correct temp, in the case that the oven is heating unevenly?

how much fuel do you need to haul around to heat the ovens?

like, it makes more sense (but is still kinda weird) to just park a pizza truck in a central location and deliver from there, plus then you can also offer pizza to passers by, in the instance that you want to do mobile pizza cooking

likewise, what advantage does 'hand made pizza cooked by a robot in a delivery van' have over 'frozen pizza cooked in my own oven'? the latter case is equal in terms of price and quality and superior in terms of delivery time. this reminds me of the burger robot in the same realm of "neat gimmick, but why?"

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
sounds like a bunch of folks haven't read snow crash here

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Isnt a pizza cooked in a robot called AN OVEN?

Its basically little caesars. Except the pizzas arent just kept warn but cooked

BeeSeeBee
Oct 25, 2007

luxury handset posted:

i'm trying to wrap my head around the 'pizza cooked in a robot oven en-route' idea and it seems to have so many obvious flaws that can't be engineered away

what happens if you get stuck in traffic or behind some obstacle once you cross the 'cook now' geofence?

how do you ensure the oven is maintaining correct temp, in the case that the oven is heating unevenly?

how much fuel do you need to haul around to heat the ovens?

like, it makes more sense (but is still kinda weird) to just park a pizza truck in a central location and deliver from there, plus then you can also offer pizza to passers by, in the instance that you want to do mobile pizza cooking

likewise, what advantage does 'hand made pizza cooked by a robot in a delivery van' have over 'frozen pizza cooked in my own oven'? the latter case is equal in terms of price and quality and superior in terms of delivery time. this reminds me of the burger robot in the same realm of "neat gimmick, but why?"

I've only ever seen their food truck sized vehicles parked and cooking with cones around them. The deliveries seem to be done in Fiat 500s, so I'm not even sure how it's anything other than a pizza food truck you can't order from directly (and the few other pizza food trucks I've seen usually have some novel wood fired oven thing installed, which this doesn't).

I think they also pre make some portion of the pizzas (crust + sauce?) at their Mountain View HQ and then add toppings in the truck when they bake it, maybe? My roommate ordered it once and I passed on a piece from the appearance alone.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Oh my loving god. So they use premade poo poo thats probably been flash frozen then let it sit in an oven for hours.

Disgusting suicidal food venture.

And the tomato sauce congeals into the dough and gives it a hot wet toilette taste probably.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Oh my loving god. So they use premade poo poo thats probably been flash frozen then let it sit in an oven for hours.

Disgusting suicidal food venture.

And the tomato sauce congeals into the dough and gives it a hot wet toilette taste probably.

i'll have you know that Pizza Pizza is Ontario's largest pizza chain sir. :colbert:

It's also easily the worst.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

BeeSeeBee posted:

I think they also pre make some portion of the pizzas (crust + sauce?) at their Mountain View HQ and then add toppings in the truck when they bake it, maybe? My roommate ordered it once and I passed on a piece from the appearance alone.

yeah i looked up some of their marketing copy and they claim to do a lot of the prep in a central location, which is kind of the worst of both worlds. like if you're going to automate pizza production, fine. we've been doing that for decades. you can crank out a lot of pizzas very cheaply and then freeze them, it is a solved problem. but it seems they want to use automation on a smaller, less efficient scale... why? just to cheap out on already cheap pizza labor? to get robots mixed up enough in the process to attract funding?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

luxury handset posted:

attract funding

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
It probably was just something shiny to dangle in front of VC. Their real business was supposedly the cloud kitchens/commissaries, which also seemed like a strange worst of both worlds experience. Restaurants that aren't popular/successful enough to sustain a kitchen location or real food truck can produce food in one central location that's probably just far enough to suck for delivery for everyone. The best scenario is that they don't try to do service and become WeWork but for commercial kitchens, which would be neat honestly, but makes very little business sense.

Certain foods can work well on a commissary distribution model, but it's limited and usually doesn't involve hot foods.

Also some of their ideas weren't terrible, but don't fit. They wanted to help run food trucks for restaurants. Which, okay, that's not a terrible idea. But it's more of a consulting service that you'd add to a place that sold/leased food trucks than real business. Most restaurants aren't going to pay you indefinitely to run a food truck for them, because either they need to learn how to do it or the operator should just cut them out because how many restaurants are really unique to be worth the hassle of cutting someone else in for some recipes.

And their pizza model in general seems terrible, because even my backwoods region can apparently support a wood fired pizza truck that's generously now added my area onto its festival circuit. If their market is people who want Dignorios but don't want to bake it or drive to the Little Ceasar's or door dash literally anything else, then good luck.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

The number of ads I get on Facebook for unique premade uncooked food delivery services is really insane. Who the gently caress is funding this garbage?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Have you heard of headphones as a service?

https://www.trustedreviews.com/news/headphones-as-a-service-exists-now-thanks-to-manufacturers-nura-3710648

You have now.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Spazzle posted:

The number of ads I get on Facebook for unique premade uncooked food delivery services is really insane. Who the gently caress is funding this garbage?

oh you know the sauds

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
dont most meal kit services die and get boughtup by one of the top two meal kit companys?

Also this cloud pizza sounds more stupid than that pizza vending machine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeeSeeBee
Oct 25, 2007

luxury handset posted:

to get robots mixed up enough in the process to attract fundcking?