Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
Sanderson is a pro in a way a lot of other writers aren't. He considers writing his job and so he writes every day even when he isnt feeling inspired. Its a craftsmans approach to writing. So long as he has time to do other stuff occasionally he wont burn out because he has trained himself to work constantly at a steady pace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
Dude will smash out 100k words with zero effort, it's amazing. By contrast, I've had to scrape and grind my way to 17k words for nanowrimo so far this month and I'm half-dreading the remaining 30k+. He's a rockstar

insider
Feb 22, 2007

A secret room... always my favourite room in a house.

HidaO-Win posted:

Sanderson is a pro in a way a lot of other writers aren't. He considers writing his job and so he writes every day even when he isnt feeling inspired. Its a craftsmans approach to writing. So long as he has time to do other stuff occasionally he wont burn out because he has trained himself to work constantly at a steady pace.

Yea its crazy what an actual work ethic will accomplish.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

insider posted:

Yea its crazy what an actual work ethic will accomplish.

Him and Stephen King both treat writing as an actual full time job and it shows with their level of output. It’s crazy compared to a lot of authors who put out maybe one book every two years.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Wasn't Alloy of Law basically the result of him being bored on a long flight? Sanderson is a printing press wrapped in human form.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Evil Fluffy posted:

Wasn't Alloy of Law basically the result of him being bored on a long flight? Sanderson is a printing press wrapped in human form.

Very much so. And at first he only wanted it to be one novella, and then the story grew to be four books long. Not that I'm complaining.

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

And then there's the fact that he wrote Bands of Mourning because he didn't know how to end Shadows of Self, and had them both out next to each other.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today
I think his actual words were, "I wrote Bands of Mourning as a warm up exercise to finish Shadows of Self".

https://www.tor.com/2014/12/18/mistborn-alloy-of-law-sequels/

There are no words to express the amazement I have.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

AND, in the middle of that, wrote Secret History because, huh, better explain a few things in Bands of Mourning.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

https://brandonsanderson.com/warbreaker-leatherbound-preorders/

drat I love that artwork so much. I imagine it'll be a nice deep purple leather too, since Mistborn was red leather / ink, and Elantris was blue.

quote:

Damage prevention & numbering
One thing we’re doing a little differently this year is how we are handling the books. Meaning we want to handle them as litte as possible. The books aren’t fragile, per se, but the more they’re handled the higher the likelihood that something can happen. So in that spirit, we decided to take the route of Brandon pre-signing and numbering all the books before binding. That way we can ship each book shrink-wrapped and individually boxed so that you can get as perfect condition a book as possible. This means we can’t control what numbers you get or offer personalizations, but we feel that offering you the highest possible condition of the books was worth the sacrifice. We hope you feel the same.

Fine by me - one of my Mistborn copies came with the spine a little crumpled. Not particularly noticeable, but still for $100 it's a little annoying.

Can't wait to see what they do for Way of Kings next year.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Starsight (Skyward book 2) is out today in the US (not sure about international).

I won't have time to get to it until at least tomorrow :(

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today
Just binged Starsight. It went to some unexpected places, but there were some theories confirmed.

Doomslug is the hyperdrive

And it ended on a cliff hanger! Two year wait for the next one. Sigh.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
After a few failed attempts, I'm finally getting around to reading The Way of Kings, and I just have to laugh at how insanely confident Sanderson is (in a good way). He wanted to write an epic fantasy story and by God he's gonna get as Epic as he can. Every other sentence features some wild made up high fantasy bullshit and it owns.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Lester Shy posted:

After a few failed attempts, I'm finally getting around to reading The Way of Kings, and I just have to laugh at how insanely confident Sanderson is (in a good way). He wanted to write an epic fantasy story and by God he's gonna get as Epic as he can. Every other sentence features some wild made up high fantasy bullshit and it owns.

I wanna say that he dials it down after the prologue, but, no. He just drops the super mathematical magical combat in favor of general magical worldbuilding. Eventually the two dovetail, but not for a good long while.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I believe he said it himself that he was like, "I wanna be extremely self indulgent with Stormlight, and drat it am I ever"

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Sab669 posted:

I believe he said it himself that he was like, "I wanna be extremely self indulgent with Stormlight, and drat it am I ever"

I can take Sanderson’s self indulgence a lot easier than a fair few other authors. It helps that he’s actually really good at putting details into the world building and magic systems that can become incredibly relevant later, so when he goes and worldbuilds for a while it doesn’t feel like it’s diverting from the plot all that much.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Leng posted:

Just binged Starsight. It went to some unexpected places, but there were some theories confirmed.

And it ended on a cliff hanger! Two year wait for the next one. Sigh.

Started reading this yesterday and ended up going to sleep way too late. So far it's really good and the more I keep reading this series, the more I think it'd make a nice TV show.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Tahirovic posted:

Started reading this yesterday and ended up going to sleep way too late. So far it's really good and the more I keep reading this series, the more I think it'd make a nice TV show.

The main characters having CG Mascots they can explain their inner monologue to would help quite a bit with some of the issues that fantasy series usually have going to screen.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I can take Sanderson’s self indulgence a lot easier than a fair few other authors. It helps that he’s actually really good at putting details into the world building and magic systems that can become incredibly relevant later, so when he goes and worldbuilds for a while it doesn’t feel like it’s diverting from the plot all that much.

Yeah, with Sanderson I can trust that all these seemingly irrelevant things he’s thrown in will actually matter and be interesting later and it’s not just filler. It’s amazing what a difference that makes.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Starsight was a lot of fun. Whoever said this would make a good tv show is right.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Also enjoyed star sight a lot.

I was happily surprised by the excellent use of the Epilogue chapter card

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
Ask me about making games instead of gains.
Chapter 1 of Stormlight 4 is in the latest Sanderson newsletter.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
I finished the first Mistborn book almost seven years ago now, and I've begun reading again in earnest, so I've considered picking up the series again. That said, the way people talking about Mistborn's writing aging, and reading fantasy that has wowed me more in the interim (like the first 3 Malazan books) makes me worried that I will enjoy it significantly less. Part of the reason I am considering it, though, is the number of people that have said that I would love the next two because of Sazed. As someone who studies religions, many friends have said that I remind them of him, at least a when it comes to obsessive discussions on obscure religious practices. Is that enough to warrant the time cost of these books in your mind? Or would I be better reading something else or Sanderson's more recent, polished work?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Sazed is frankly the best character in the original mistborn trilogy

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Mistborn is pretty decent, some people think the second book is sloggy

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
The second is not as strong as the first but is still equal to or better than a lot of other books I’ve read over the years. Definitely read the Mistborn books if only to get to Secret History and the Wax & Wayne books.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
If nothing else read the Wax and Wayne books (Mistborn era 2). You can legitimately jump right into them without having read mistborn with the understanding that some major plot twists in the original are in world religious mythology now and you will be spoiled.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
Sweet, thanks.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Sazed is rad. His religious doubts definitely come from Sandererson's own.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Hiro Protagonist posted:

like the first 3 Malazan books)

I'm still amazed that people can read those books. I slogged through 7 or 8 books before I admitted I had no idea what the gently caress was going on or why anything was happening and stopped. I don't need a blatant exposition dump that explains everything, but I do need some sort of exposition.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
The last few got very philosophical but I definitely wanted to see where the story went and even now, I still get a little adrenaline spike thinking back to some of the events throughout the books (like everything involving Quick Ben).

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

I'm still amazed that people can read those books. I slogged through 7 or 8 books before I admitted I had no idea what the gently caress was going on or why anything was happening and stopped. I don't need a blatant exposition dump that explains everything, but I do need some sort of exposition.

i respect how committed Erikson is to not only explaining practically nothing, but making sure nearly anyone in-universe who DOES try to explain things is wrong, lying, or both

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Daric posted:

The last few got very philosophical but I definitely wanted to see where the story went and even now, I still get a little adrenaline spike thinking back to some of the events throughout the books (like everything involving Quick Ben).

And I read 7+ books and the only detail I remember about that character is his name because I was totally unable to build a mental framework with which to contextualize and understand any of the characters' actions.

[edit]

Don't worry I'll stop the Malazan derail here.

New Yorp New Yorp fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Dec 3, 2019

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Honestly, I prefer Erikson's ambiguous mythology to Sanderson's obsessive continuity, but as I've said before in this thread, the Malazan books are perfect for my taste. It feels more real to me when nobody knows the answers and all the narrators are unreliable. That's how history works in real life, too. It's a harder read because it doesn't hold your hand, but I respect maintaining the artistic vision that way over making it more accessible.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Infinite Karma posted:

Honestly, I prefer Erikson's ambiguous mythology to Sanderson's obsessive continuity, but as I've said before in this thread, the Malazan books are perfect for my taste. It feels more real to me when nobody knows the answers and all the narrators are unreliable. That's how history works in real life, too. It's a harder read because it doesn't hold your hand, but I respect maintaining the artistic vision that way over making it more accessible.

yeah, it's no coincidence that he writes extremely like an anthropologist who made up a setting for his dnd game

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Why does Syl scream out so horrifically in WoR when the bridge collapses?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Sab669 posted:

Kaladin lost his powers as a Windrunner because he was willing to assassinate Elkohar, which meant he wasn't protecting people anymore. Syl sacrificed herself to give him back enough of his powers to survive the fall into the chasm.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Yea I knew she was fading away since he made up his mind RE: Elhokar, but otherwise...

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Sab669 posted:

Out of pain (as much as a force of nature can feel pain). Syl broke the rules that gods and spren by association have to follow to rekindle enough of a nahel bond for Kalidin to survive. From the way Sanderson puts it seems like its like trying to get fire to stop being hot for a moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

Sab669 posted:

Kaladin’s ability to use magic and draw in healing stormlight is limited by the strength of his bond with Syl. Him taking mutually conflicting oaths regarding protecting Elhokar and not reporting Moash results in their bond being almost completely gone (Syl is an honorspren, keeping the spirit of oaths is her main focus).

Kaladin should have died when he fell into the cavern. Syl basically killed herself in Kaladin’s place by forcing enough stormlight into Kaladin to heal him, despite their bond being too weak to do so naturally.