Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
This is it? No official drop yet though??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hN38Uw5K3us

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Hell yes!!

Stacked books
Shandor mining
Terror dog?
A collection of molds, spores & fungus

Edit: Paul Rudd is obviously going to be the Key Master

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Dec 9, 2019

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Literally crying about Ghostbusters

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Super pumped. I didn't catch Shandor Mining. Nice!

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

The_Doctor posted:

This is it? No official drop yet though??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hN38Uw5K3us

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Here's the official Sony Pictures channel version, much better quality

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahZFCF--uRY

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Well that looks good.

Need more gunners seat.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Okay that actually looks pretty good. Literally the best possible way to handle Harold Ramis' death in a movie set in the original continuity

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
The new Strangers Thing movie looks good.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Franchescanado posted:

I was having flashbacks to Super 8

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Franchescanado posted:

Hahaha

It looks good for sure but yeah, doesn't "feel" like a Ghostbusters movie which I guess is fine as long as it's entertaining and well written/directed. And this looks like it's both of those so I'm in.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Franchescanado posted:

I was so close to predicting the movie perfectly

Ehud posted:

It will be in a small town. The cast will be adolescents who remind you of the stranger things kids. One of them will be related to Dan Akroyd. They’ll work with “uncle Ray” to repair some of the old equipment and fight a local paranormal threat with busted up gear that only works half the time.

ok i will never mention my prediction post again

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Davros1 posted:

I was having flashbacks to Super 8

I remember Super 8 being alright. I'm ok with the new Ghostbusters being alright.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Here's the official Sony Pictures channel version, much better quality

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahZFCF--uRY

this actually looks good, huh

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
I think that looked great and I'm sure I wasn't the only one getting goosebumps, I also think it might not just be 'kid ghostbusters' (if it is, I'm cool with it) but they're putting a solid trailer out without giving too much away. If you think about it a lot of the stuff shown there could be the opening 30 minutes.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
The biggest plus for me is that they're putting this forward as having a narrative, rather than just being a feature length comedy sketch special with ghostbusters themed props.

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

jivjov posted:

The biggest plus for me is that they're putting this forward as having a narrative, rather than just being a feature length comedy sketch special with ghostbusters themed props.

Yeah, it's like some kinda scripted movie tale instead of an SNL sketch with a $200m budget. Goddamn it, I'm excited

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Looks like they're chasing Slimer through town in the Ecto-1.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Was the Ecto-1 gunner seat a thing in other ghostbusters media or did they make that up for this one? As much as I love the original, I have very little knowledge of the other GB projects

Nuggan
Jul 17, 2006

Always rolling skulls.
I agree with whoever said it doesn't "feel" like Ghostbusters from that trailer, but thats also totally ok! It looks great so far, and theres plenty we havent seen and don't know.

I'm going to watch the trailer another 200 times just to be sure its good.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

jivjov posted:

Was the Ecto-1 gunner seat a thing in other ghostbusters media or did they make that up for this one? As much as I love the original, I have very little knowledge of the other GB projects

Not that I can recall, but I wouldn't be surprised if there was some design document that had that in it.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Absolute loving garbage designed to rope in saps who wanna be resold the props and lines from the original movie.

Nuggan
Jul 17, 2006

Always rolling skulls.

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Absolute loving garbage designed to rope in saps who wanna be resold the props and lines from the original movie.

Wasn't that the last new one? I haven't seen it, but thats what it seemed like it was going to be.

This seems like an original story thats actually a continuation of the first movie, updated for modern audiences in a pretty good pass-the-torch sort of way.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

A pretty awesome way to start my day. Can't wait.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
So it's Egon's grandkids. Was kinda hoping the mom would inherit the house and find out the estate still owes on the 3 mortgages at 19%.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Nuggan posted:

I agree with whoever said it doesn't "feel" like Ghostbusters from that trailer, but thats also totally ok! It looks great so far, and theres plenty we havent seen and don't know.

I'm going to watch the trailer another 200 times just to be sure its good.

See, I'm not sure if there's anything anyone can do to make a movie 'feel' like Ghostbusters, and I'm willing to bet that a big portion of that feel, if not the entirety of it, has to do with the viewer and not necessarily the movie.

The movies feel how they do to me because I've watched them since I was little. GB2 was the first movie I saw in theatres when I was 6. My son is turning 6 shortly after this comes out, and I'm going to be taking him to see it. This movie is likely going to feel QUITE like a GB film to him more than it will for me, but I have high hopes that it'll be actually good, regardless.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Looks like nostalgia: the movie (with extra kid appeal)

Nuggan
Jul 17, 2006

Always rolling skulls.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

See, I'm not sure if there's anything anyone can do to make a movie 'feel' like Ghostbusters, and I'm willing to bet that a big portion of that feel, if not the entirety of it, has to do with the viewer and not necessarily the movie.

The movies feel how they do to me because I've watched them since I was little. GB2 was the first movie I saw in theatres when I was 6. My son is turning 6 shortly after this comes out, and I'm going to be taking him to see it. This movie is likely going to feel QUITE like a GB film to him more than it will for me, but I have high hopes that it'll be actually good, regardless.

Thats a fair thought. Honestly, I do expect the movie to have that "feel" for me, I just didn't pick up on that in the trailer.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Interestingly the reboot seemed to lean way too into the comedy and this seems to be whiplashing in the other direction to lean into the darker aspect. I'm sure the comedy will be there since they have Rudd tho, but that mix the originals achieved seems hard to pin down.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

I don't like being the guy to poo poo things up, but if you removed all the Ghostbusters iconography from this trailer, it would look to me like a pretty unremarkable young adult fantasy adventure thing.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Is that a Terror Dog menacing Paul Rudd in his car? Shandor Mining implies Egon bought the house to keep an eye on other Shandor owned things, which is cool.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

A lot of this, I think, is cinematography.

The first film was shot by László Kovács, in 1983(?) New York City, which is a very specific time and place that no longer looks that way. You may recognize Kovács look from Easy Rider, Paper Moon, F For Fake, Say Anything, and quite a few family-oriented comedies and dramas.

Ghostbusters 2 was shot by Michael Chapman in 1988(?) New York City. Chapman, you should know, built a career out of gritty dirty NYC, with Taxi Driver, Raging Bull, Scrooged, but also east coast stories like The Lost Boys, Invasion of the Body Snatchers, and Slumber Party Massacre.

Ghostbusters Afterlife was shot by Eric Steelberg, who is Jason Reitman's long-time DP, and did Juno, 500 Days of Summer, Dolemite Is My Name. Already a very different perspective from the other two (which were different in many ways, but have a strong emphasis on location). The film location is Alberta, Canada, so that's an even bigger jump from NYC.

Not saying any of this is bad or good, just pointing out the similarities with the first two DPs and how completely different Steelberg is from them.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Drink-Mix Man posted:

I don't like being the guy to poo poo things up, but if you removed all the Ghostbusters iconography from this trailer, it would look to me like a pretty unremarkable young adult fantasy adventure thing.

Young adult fantasy adventure has been popular for decades, in a way Ghostbusters is kind of the perfect property for it.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Drink-Mix Man posted:

hollywood has finally found a way to make a movie thats two types of derivative pandering at once

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Farm Frenzy posted:

hollywood has finally found a way to make a movie thats two types of derivative pandering at once

Isn't that just a standard sequel?

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Iron Crowned posted:

Young adult fantasy adventure has been popular for decades, in a way Ghostbusters is kind of the perfect property for it.

Iron Crowned posted:

Isn't that just a standard sequel?

'this is the same as every other piece of poo poo' is a great defense my man

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Looks like my wish that they dive right into Gozer stuff instead of using it as sequel bait may come true.

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

Looks like my wish that they dive right into Gozer stuff instead of using it as sequel bait may come true.

We are hitting the 100th anniversary of Shandor's Gozarian Cult

I saw an interview with Jason Reitman and he said he was making the movie for his dad and then his dad cried, and then I cried, and then Maggie laughed.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

text me a vag pic posted:

and then Maggie laughed.

she's such a little trooper!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

drat I can't wait for everything to just be a remake of ET with different wallpaper

- Some kids on bikes find the Alien
- Some kids on bikes find the Terminator
- Some kids on bikes find a Delorean time machine
- Some kids on bikes find Jurassic Park

yep it's gonna be great