Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

dwarf74 posted:

It's highly dependent on your deck size. For Scoundrel and Mindthief it's really great. For something like Brute or Cragheart, less so.

Exactly this.

I enhanced the bottom of Empathetic Assault with a bless on the self heal and spammed stamina potions early in each scenario to cram as many blessings as possible into my deck and then :ese: enemies into salsa. It's glorious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

NRVNQSR posted:

Sounds like it'll be much less important which characters loot, and it's a relief to hear that they're revamping personal quests; both of those feel very welcome. That complexity creep is scary, though.

FH status effects: Bane feels pretty dodgy. I get that Execute was sometimes overpowered, but I really hope they don't follow through on going back and turning all the old characters' executes into "maybe do 10 damage after the enemy's next turn". Brittle seems weird, especially since it sounds like it's going to be primarily caused by monsters; applied a player it'll often do nothing since you still only lose one card to negate all the damage.

even a delayed 10 direct damage is really powerful. The fact of the matter is that executes were often simply too good.

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

Overall, FH sounds great! They are shoring up the much more weaker elements of GH and leaving the stunningly beautiful combat system in place. Bravo.

I l definitely like Bane better than Execute and would welcome revised cards for the original GH classes. Execute was such unfun cheese. When the expansion introduced Teleport, they did the same and I would appreciate the update to a more elegant unified wording and mechanic.

Brittle also sounds cool. A nice setup for potential team work. Not as effective in the monster hands, but eh.

I would suspect there will be an opposite of Brittle which would be much more useful for monsters than players.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Cocks Cable posted:

Brittle also sounds cool. A nice setup for potential team work. Not as effective in the monster hands, but eh.

I dunno, it is obviously hard for a monster to coordinate but it is an effective "back off" tactic, like an early initiative retaliate. If your melee guy gets tagged with brittle, they will want to back off and find some way to deal with it. It sounds like it was just "next time you take damage", so I wonder if you can heal it off or it would be a matter of trying to strategically get hit with something else (or if you're a class that can do any kind of self damage that would help)

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I'm glad FH let's us start over with a new independent box. Our old playgroup broke up at like 95% complete, so if we're gonna play we need a fresh start.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I never thought I would be THIS excited about a loving board game

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

dwarf74 posted:

It's highly dependent on your deck size. For Scoundrel and Mindthief it's really great. For something like Brute or Cragheart, less so.

Also depends on your average attack size, number of attacks per turn, and how often you have advantage. It's certainly not bad for the Mindthief but some of the above can reduce the effectiveness.

The best examples of Bless are for some locked classes.

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

FH will be kickstarter, right? Place your bets on the final total. I think it will break 3 million.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Cocks Cable posted:

FH will be kickstarter, right? Place your bets on the final total. I think it will break 3 million.

Yup! Supposedly the kickstarter will be early next year

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

The biggest thing working against it is how much content there was in the base game and whether people want more.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Cocks Cable posted:

Considering that the reprint of the first one ended over $4 million, I'm going to guess that this will be pretty close.

$3.5, minimum.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

That Italian Guy posted:

Come to the LP thread https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3877469&perpage=40&pagenumber=97#post500593341 and help us pick the replacement for our retired Cragheart! SPOILER NOTE: the link contains spoilers for Scenario 81 and Two-Minis and spoiled text for the last unlocked class Angry Face.

In the end we went with a Spellweaver, so feel free to come over and help us pick her name, her level up Perks and Cards, her Personal Quest and her Equipment!

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The biggest thing working against it is how much content there was in the base game and whether people want more.

People want more. It takes about a year of consistent play to get through the base game and it's been out for several years now so lots of people are finishing up and want new GH to play with their friends.

I'll take six million for the new FH kickstarter. Audience has grown.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
FH looks great, too. UX issues aside (which plague every Childres game) the theme of the new classes seems to be "has a resource to manage" which is nice if you've pretty much solved the hand management puzzle of the first game.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I'll take six million for the new FH kickstarter. Audience has grown.

I agree with this.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
So I ran Saw's solo scenario last night.

1. Way easier than the Cragheart's, holy poo poo. I won on first attempt, with time to spare. The Jump on Hamstring, plus my Item 73, were key. The superhero card was the bottom of Amputate, which combined with a good top, let me heal 10-11 damage per round. Honorable mentions were Hand of the Surgeon and the move + heal bottom of... gently caress, whatever it is called.

2. The item was the fastest 25 gp turnaround to Gloomingdales of all time.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Hounds are NOT very good boys

Schizophonic
Jun 4, 2011
Unlocked Triforce and decided I'd try them despite being both overwhelmed by card text and underwhelmed by the actual effects on a read through of their opening cards. :psyduck: But the class art is fun, I haven't really gotten the chance to be a more range focused character, and I've wanted a class to really engage with the elemental gimmicks since we started, so decided I'll give them a shot. Gonna be level 4 and have 2 retirement lineage perks to play with, and I know traditional knowledge is to thin -1's as fast as possible, but will I completely snooker myself if I focus my modifier deck on element generation? I have visions of empowering enemy creeps on the regular but the cards seem so poo poo without infusions.

We had another retirement at the same time who elected to start a Cragheart if that informs anything, and our third is Sun.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Triforce perk discussion:

Add lots of elements before removing the few -1s. Thinning your deck isn't bad but it's inefficient at making you more likely to draw the element cards you need to function.

This BGG post has some maths on the specifics.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Triforce perk discussion:

Add lots of elements before removing the few -1s. Thinning your deck isn't bad but it's inefficient at making you more likely to draw the element cards you need to function.

This BGG post has some maths on the specifics.

Seconding this. This is pretty important.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Schizophonic posted:

Unlocked Triforce and decided I'd try them
While the Reddit guides get a lot of heat sometimes, this one for Triforce is really great and gives meaningful advice about playing the class.

I do not think I would enjoy playing them, but a dude at my table did, and he both loved it and did an amazing job with it. It was consistently an MVP in our scenarios until it retired.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Triforce
I played it for a very long time and in my experience it is dependent on group composition. The best thing you can do is to build your hand around what elements your team produces and if possible completely eliminate certain elements from your mix and deck. When I was high level I was almost entirely functioning off of frost, light, air, and darkness.

The MVP cards are formless power and chain lightning.

Also abuse the poo poo out of stamina potions so you can grab the card that will be maximized next turn.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

dwarf74 posted:

While the Reddit guides get a lot of heat sometimes, this one for Triforce is really great and gives meaningful advice about playing the class.

I do not think I would enjoy playing them, but a dude at my table did, and he both loved it and did an amazing job with it. It was consistently an MVP in our scenarios until it retired.

Yeah I also had (am having, when we can get the physical game to the table, we've been playing a lot online lately) a blast with Triforce, and that guide helped a lot to contextualize things since it can have a steeper learning curve.

CommonShore posted:

Triforce
I played it for a very long time and in my experience it is dependent on group composition. The best thing you can do is to build your hand around what elements your team produces and if possible completely eliminate certain elements from your mix and deck. When I was high level I was almost entirely functioning off of frost, light, air, and darkness.

The MVP cards are formless power and chain lightning.

Also abuse the poo poo out of stamina potions so you can grab the card that will be maximized next turn.

In addition it's dependent on what items you have that can generate/manipulate elements. Grab up any of those you can, and keep your eye out for more and see how it will fit into your deck.

Honestly there are options within the class to set you up enough that it's not totally reliant on your group, although having other element generators is certainly helpful. Even tho they will mostly want to use their own elements, you can always "trade" the same element, generating it on the same turn you use it and vice versa so you don't have to delay a turn to set things up. I went from having pretty consistent earth generation from a Cragheart pal to having no friendly earth generation whatsover and it really didn't hurt my effectiveness as much as I thought it would.

Schizophonic
Jun 4, 2011
Thanks for the advice guys, will have a read through!

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Triforce is the class I'm going to wind up being after I retire my Three Spears, and I've spent a good deal of time spoiling myself on what they do. It sounds really cool. Obviously not game-breakingly cool, but cool in the same sense as (Three Spears spoiler) "let me pull this portable ballista out of my magic hat". I'm looking forward to it

My plan for Triforce perks is to get some of the element generators, then remove -1s, then get the rest of the element generators. And I'll probably start with the elements that I don't plan to generate often. Basically, maximize the chances of drawing those generators by first adding them to your deck and then thinning it. Unfortunately, only one perk thins; the others either Add or Replace

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Dec 9, 2019

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Before I do anything, I think, well what hasn't been seen. Sometimes, that turns out to be something ghastly and not fit for society. And sometimes that inspiration becomes something that's really worthwhile.
My only real complaint about the Triangles' perk list is how it makes Advantage much less useful than it is for other classes. Due to the rules on ambiguity, you're much less likely to get a result better than a +0 on your attacks. For example, if you draw two cards and the first is a +0 (Fire) and the second is a 2x, you must go with the first card (since the element adds a positive but undefined value).

On the flip side, your deck will be so thick that you're less likely to miss, so I guess that's something.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Phelddagrif posted:

My only real complaint about the Triangles' perk list is how it makes Advantage much less useful than it is for other classes. Due to the rules on ambiguity, you're much less likely to get a result better than a +0 on your attacks. For example, if you draw two cards and the first is a +0 (Fire) and the second is a 2x, you must go with the first card (since the element adds a positive but undefined value).

On the flip side, your deck will be so thick that you're less likely to miss, so I guess that's something.

The Triforce perks stink because while the idea is interesting (fill your deck with a bunch of elements) in practice it means your average attack doesn't really go up (unlike with other classes that get better numbers) and a lot of times you're making redundant elements, since you can't plan for them.

Adding in some +1 or +2 elements, some "generate any element" or "generate 2 elements" or even a rolling element generator would go a long way to making it better. As it stands it's the only thing I don't really like about the class.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
I keep looking at the FH Classes and I think I want to start with either Drifter or Germinate. Drifter in particular looks super fun.

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

SalTheBard posted:

I keep looking at the FH Classes and I think I want to start with either Drifter or Germinate. Drifter in particular looks super fun.

That's funny because I had the exact opposite reaction. The Drifter looks really generic and the least interesting new class. What attracts you to it?

Also the Geminate came across as overly complicated and tedious. Plus its the one class designed by Marcel and I'm not too fond of his work.

Everything else looks awesome, the Blinkblade especially. I hope they fix the layout of its cards so initiative and ability are consistently on the same side.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I think if I could redo triangles perk deck that I'd build it around rolling modifiers on the elements

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

I don't think starting classes need to be spoiled. Have we confirmed that all 6 of those are starters, though? There's a couple that are vastly more complex than any of the Gloomhaven starters.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

CommonShore posted:

I think if I could redo triangles perk deck that I'd build it around rolling modifiers on the elements

Yea the Triangles perk deck is honestly one of the worst parts of the class. It feels bad to generate elements to buff up your cards but you generate them with +0's so it practically counteracts a lot of the damage you'd gain from using that element

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Zurai posted:

I don't think starting classes need to be spoiled. Have we confirmed that all 6 of those are starters, though? There's a couple that are vastly more complex than any of the Gloomhaven starters.

Ok. I wanted to err on caution.

Drifter - I think the idea of balancing active effects is a pretty fun in concept

Germinate - The following between Ranged and Melee is fun sounding.

Blinkblade also looks fun with the balancing act between Fast and Slow actions. My only gripe with Blinkblade is their cards are overly complex.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

From what I've read the 6 released Frosthaven classes are starter classes. Not impossible for that to change but it's the intention at this point.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that
The Q&A posted after the panel said they were the 6 starters.

And I really want to see more of the Necromancer. Non-loss summons are great, and the fact that they have multiple cards with explicitly the same effect opens up some cool design space

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Cinara posted:

Yea the Triangles perk deck is honestly one of the worst parts of the class. It feels bad to generate elements to buff up your cards but you generate them with +0's so it practically counteracts a lot of the damage you'd gain from using that element

It'd be much cooler to do heavy rolling mods with no way to thin the deck! The elements would be the consolation prize for getting a -2 or a nul. Though then you'd have problems of a 4-target attack generating 4 elements quite frequently...

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

The Drifter looks very interesting, that's probably the one I'm most interested in, biased by how I love a good time manipulation gimmick. I'm sure they'll get a Bane or two at higher level, too. Some of those level 1 abilities look promising

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

The Drifter is specifically interesting because of its ability to adapt not only scenario to scenario but even potentially within a scenario depending on which of its active abilities it plays but also chooses to persist. So if you open a room and there's heavy retaliators, hey you're favoring ranged attacks now and let your melee boost lapse.

I does seem like it will rely on its higher level cards to develop more of a flavor tho. You can kind of see where the other classes will go (Necromancer will get stronger undead and maybe the ability to summon skeletons from their discard/loss pile, Deathwalker will get more cool stuff to do with the shadows, etc) but it's hard at the moment to actually guess what the Drifter will get beyond "numerically better persistent cards and more ways to rewind them".

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

SalTheBard posted:

Banner Spear all the way for me. Love what I see from the class, and obviously it will be better in higher player count games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Germinate seems like it'll have the hardest time with a rather crazy mix of positioning requirements and hand management to avoid wasting attacks or being unable to rest.

I love it though.

I'm also stoked about the crafting system, just because I love the idea of stamina potions / equivalents being less of a crutch to making the classes so capable.