Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Weeeeeeeeee!!

quote:

Tor Books has announced that Brandon Sanderson will return to Roshar and the Cosmere universe on November 17, 2020 with the fourth volume in his landmark epic fantasy series, The Stormlight Archive!
https://www.tor.com/2019/12/10/brandon-sandersons-stormlight-archive-book-4-arrives-on-november-17-2020/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jorenko
Jun 6, 2004

I think you're just mad 'cause you're single.
Rear cover summary is up on Amazon!

After forming a coalition of human resistance against the enemy invasion, Dalinar Kholin and his Knights Radiant have spent a year fighting a protracted, brutal war. Neither side has gained an advantage.

Now, as new technological discoveries begin to change the face of the war, the enemy prepares a bold and dangerous operation. The arms race that follows will challenge the very core of the Radiant ideals, and potentially reveal the secrets of the ancient tower that was once the heart of their strength.

insider
Feb 22, 2007

A secret room... always my favourite room in a house.

The dude is a complete machine.

Holy poo poo I am so pumped.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

gently caress yea. I'm gonna finish my reread too soon though 🙃

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
It's not even a year away yo what the fuuuuuuuck

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

quote:

“It has been almost twenty years since I first outlined The Stormlight Archive,” says Sanderson. “Back then, I didn’t think anyone would be interested in this crazy epic I’d devised–and it’s been so thrilling to see enthusiasm for it grow to such heights over the years. Book four finally gets to one of the foundational scenes I conceived from the beginning. In fact, it might be the very first big scene I imagined, and my favorite in the entire series. A part of me can’t believe people are finally going to be able to read it. Less than one year now! Life before death, Radiants.”

I'm super excited!

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Hell yeah, hopefully I'll be caught up by the time November rolls around. I'm about 80% finished with WOK but it's really slow going. I usually barrel through books like this, but I just can't build up any kind of momentum here, which is strange because I am loving the book. There are just so many plates spinning at once that I get thrown off track every time the POV changes.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Is that your first read? The "sanderstorm" is a little late-coming for how thick the book is, but boy does the ending get me every time I read it.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Jorenko posted:

Rear cover summary is up on Amazon!

After forming a coalition of human resistance against the enemy invasion, Dalinar Kholin and his Knights Radiant have spent a year fighting a protracted, brutal war. Neither side has gained an advantage.

Now, as new technological discoveries begin to change the face of the war, the enemy prepares a bold and dangerous operation. The arms race that follows will challenge the very core of the Radiant ideals, and potentially reveal the secrets of the ancient tower that was once the heart of their strength.

yes. Yes.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

we're finally getting the Sibling baby

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I just started a re-read of the series over the weekend. Wooo!

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Just finished WOK, and as expected, that last 20% is just one insane thing after another.

I've already read Mistborn and Elantris; what should I read next? WOR is the obvious choice, but I've heard it's good to read Warbreaker first. And I assume I should read AU after WOR?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Yea I think the "recommended path" is Warbreaker then WoR but honestly I feel like just keep the Stormlight Train going, personally.

How can anyone read Dalinar's "deal" and NOT go immediately to the next book :shrug:

MildShow
Jan 4, 2012

Sab669 posted:

Yea I think the "recommended path" is Warbreaker then WoR but honestly I feel like just keep the Stormlight Train going, personally.

How can anyone read Dalinar's "deal" and NOT go immediately to the next book :shrug:

Yeah, I think it’s best to read Warbreaker before starting Stormlight entirely so you don’t have to interrupt it.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
The only Arcanum Unbound story that's relevant to Stormlight is Edgedancer. The rest of the stories are still good, but Edgedancer is directly relevant to the start of Oathbringer.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

IMO, just read the Stormlight novels in order if you like the Stormlight novels, they're the best stuff Sanderson has written. The rest has a different feel and only gives tiny Easter egg connections to the plot.

The other Sanderson series and stories are decent too, but they're all 99% self-contained, so if you bounce off them, don't really worry about it.

insider
Feb 22, 2007

Infinite Karma posted:

IMO, just read the Stormlight novels in order if you like the Stormlight novels, they're the best stuff Sanderson has written. The rest has a different feel and only gives tiny Easter egg connections to the plot.

The other Sanderson series and stories are decent too, but they're all 99% self-contained, so if you bounce off them, don't really worry about it.

Yea I don't agree with this but only in the case of Warbreaker which has MANY direct cross overs with Stormlight. They are not just 'tiny Easter eggs'.

I would 100% read Warbreaker before moving on to Stormlight 2+. It is also free so there is no reason not to. You should then read Edgedancer before Stormlight 3.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Yes, but they're still extremely easy to miss even if you've read Warbreaker though.

I think calling them tiny easter eggs for now is fine, there's really not much significance to said cross overs other than just being aware that they're there. For now, anyways.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
But Nightblood makes a lot more sense if you've read Warbringer. And it already plays a bigger-ish role in Oathbringer.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Torrannor posted:

But Nightblood makes a lot more sense if you've read Warbringer. And it already plays a bigger-ish role in Oathbringer.

It's ok for weird magic things to exist without explanation.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

i think it's worth reading warbreaker before oathbringer, because that's where the big connections become regular

but if you read it before WOR, exactly one thing at the end of the book will be a much cooler moment

if anything, edgedancer is more optional, because Oathbringer does a fine job explaining most of what you'd learn in it

MildShow
Jan 4, 2012

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

It's ok for weird magic things to exist without explanation.

Along those lines, Nightblood shows up after you learn that shardblades are spren, so it would be reasonable to assume it’s just a special spren.

Warbreaker colors (pun intended) a lot of the background in WoR and Oathbringer, but isn’t necessary to understand the books.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

insider posted:

Yea I don't agree with this but only in the case of Warbreaker which has MANY direct cross overs with Stormlight. They are not just 'tiny Easter eggs'.

I would 100% read Warbreaker before moving on to Stormlight 2+. It is also free so there is no reason not to. You should then read Edgedancer before Stormlight 3.

Definitely should read Warbreaker before Oathbringer, because you'll miss stuff otherwise while certain other things won't make as much sense. Warbreaker's also a good book people should read regardless and it's free. I think Warbreaker 2 is on Sanderson's to do list after Stormlight 4 isn't it?

eke out posted:

but if you read it before WOR, exactly one thing at the end of the book will be a much cooler moment

There are several things that will make sense in WOR if they read Warbreaker first. Such as some comments from Wit, including his mention of Perfect Pitch, and I believe one of the games people play in Warbreaker is played by a certain character in WOR which was an early hint about them being a worldhopper.

And that scene at the end of the book of course.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today
Don't forget that a character from Warbreaker features prominently in one of the arcs in OB so much love for the person Vivenna turns out to be in Azure. I found her so grating in Warbreaker for most of the novel that it was great to see how much she's grown in OB. Not to mention that she seems to have figured out Type IV Biochromatic entities

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
The stuff you learn from Warbreaker is fairly relevant, but Warbreaker isn't a very good novel.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

mossyfisk posted:

The stuff you learn from Warbreaker is fairly relevant, but Warbreaker isn't a very good novel.

Warbreaker is in fact a fun novel

insider
Feb 22, 2007

mossyfisk posted:

Woah. Those are fighting words. Warbreaker has the most interesting and fun magic system Brandon has done IMO.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

mossyfisk posted:

Let me guess, you disliked the attempts at humor in the book?
I find it's one of the best novels and most people I recommended it to start on Sanderson stuff seem to agree?

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

I wouldn't say Warbreaker was bad, but IMO it is by far the weakest of the Sanderson novels (possibly besides Elantris, which is the only one I haven't read). The characters mostly fall flat and the story doesn't hit its marks particularly well. My feeling after finishing the book was just very underwhelmed, it had a handful of high points but overall it felt uninspired. Part of that is probably that I didn't find the magic system particularly interesting, it felt very arbitrary and poorly bounded, in contrast to the very engaging systems of Stormlight and Mistborn. The way characters "level up" when they get a specific number of breaths felt really dumb to me, that kind of progression was handled so much better by Stormlight, where advancement of a surgebinder's ability is based on their character growth and the oaths they take.

It says a lot that the characters you see again in Stormlight are far more interesting and dynamic than they were in the book dedicated to them, despite only getting small slivers of attention.. Seems I'm in the minority opinion, but it's fully safe to not read it before Stormlight. I read Stormlight first of all the cosmere books, and I don't feel like it detracted from my reading experience at all. It was fun to focus on the characters and the specific world, then read the other cosmere books and come back again with fresh perspective.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

As someone who really likes both Warbreaker and crossover Easter eggs....

It really doesn't matter if you read Warbreaker before Stormlight. Nothing plot-relevant is dependent on you knowing anything about Warbreaker. It adds a little background detail and fleshes out a few interactions and motivations, but it all makes perfect sense without having read Warbreaker or remembering anything about it.

Edgedancer is a little more relevant, since it addresses the massive change in motivation of one of the side characters that happens between 2 and 3. But that's also something you can infer from context.

That said, Warbreaker owns. And you should read it.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010
I'd say read Warbreaker first but mainly because it's not as well written as the Stormlight books so I doubt it holds up.

skip edgedancer is you're one of the funhaters who doesn't like lift (don't actually skip edgedancer he's pretty clearly making her arc one where she grows up over time and edgedancer is... pretty important there!)

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I felt like nothing happens in Warbreaker, just a lot of people standing around waiting for offscreen bad guys to do something.

Unponderable
Feb 16, 2007

Good enough.
I'm surprised at the thread hate for Warbreaker. Warbreaker is one of my favorites. Good magic system, good mysteries, good twists. The characters were all relatable (except for Vasher, who was still well written though his motivations were deliberately kept obscure). Plus, Nightblood.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

warbreaker is cool

it is slow, though, until it becomes extremely fast

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
Yeah, I remember liking Warbreaker the first time I read it, then I went back to it post-Oathbringer to pick up on more references and I found it unbearably slow to start.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

i'd say it's best taken in as an audiobook while you're doing something else

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
Funny, it actually was as an audiobook that I went back to it with. But I was also caring for a newborn at the time so I think my patience was just shot.

For reading order, I just came across this and it's reminding me of the massive flowcharts that people made for Discworld.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

that chart sucks

i'm a "read it all" guy but i see no reason to worry about which series you start with aside from it being a good idea to do warbreaker early

my particular mania would simply suggest starting with elantris and going forward in release order

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Yea, the real answer is, "Read it in whatever order you want, you're going to reread them all a bunch of times anyways" :haw:

I agree with EVGA Longoria though; Even if you realize "Oh, Zahel is Vasher".... OK? It literally makes no difference to story thus far. Same with Azure / Nightblood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

Sab669 posted:

Yea, the real answer is, "Read it in whatever order you want, you're going to reread them all a bunch of times anyways" :haw:

I agree with EVGA Longoria though; Even if you realize "Oh, Zahel is Vasher".... OK? It literally makes no difference to story thus far. Same with Azure / Nightblood.

Yep, it only makes a difference to the cosmere meta-story, which, if you get into...you're gonna read it all a bunch of times, browse coppermind.net, and look up WoB poo poo anyway just like you say. I support any and all reading orders from potential fans because it's interesting to hear about different perspectives from different contexts for first-reads. Maybe I'm just selfish.