Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I find myself not hating the Samsung 1080p TV we have at our collaboration table. It's one of these Herman Miller or Steelcase jobs:

https://www.steelcase.com/products/collaboration/mediascape/

We have the single-monitor one in our office (37"?), you have to sit a good 2-3 feet from it though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eames
May 9, 2009

LionArcher posted:

Boy, a lot of you don’t know what the gently caress you’re talking about when it comes to monitors.

Would you mind pointing out where I'm wrong, other than screen size and the things that go with it (dot pitch, dpi)? I'm genuinely curious. Feel free to look at the rtings review linked in my previous posting.

eames fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Dec 9, 2019

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

For debateable/questionable deals, B&H has:

2018 MacBook Pro
32GB
1TB

for $2199

https://slickdeals.net/f/13702199-apple-15-4-macbook-pro-with-touch-bar-mid-2018-space-gray-i7-32gb-ram-1tb-ssd-2199?src=frontpage

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

eames posted:

Would you mind pointing out where I'm wrong, other than screen size and the things that go with it (dot pitch, dpi)? I'm genuinely curious. Feel free to look at the rtings review linked in my previous posting.

I wasn’t talking about you specifically. It’s more I see red when anyone makes another tired joke about the $1000 stand, or how x monitor is good enough. (I am annoyed Apple isn’t making their 5k panels stand alone that they sell though, in modern Apple housing). I personally don’t need the XDR, but I know people who will get it and are freaking out about what a steal
It is. That being said, gently caress I want one.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

pff just get a 48" 720p lcd tv from 2011 for cheap, dont pay the crapple tax!!!

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
It really stinks that Apple doesn’t make a real companion screen for the iMac. One that matches the iMac both in the display panel and in aesthetics. In both sizes. And isn’t annoyingly shorter. This seems like it would’ve been a no-brainer to the Apple of 2004.

And yet they didn’t really do it then either. Closest we got was the Thunderbolt Display/its mDP predecessor I can’t remember, and that one had the aforementioned height discrepancy.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
I’m honestly more interest in seeing/hearing what the pro display matte treatment is like. I haven’t heard much since the intro.

mem
Sep 1, 2005
My in-laws iMac just crapped out, and I was thinking of buying them one for Christmas. They are retired and I'm pretty sure don't do anything more than watch YouTube and email. The one they were using was a 24 inch from the mid 2000s.

Is there any reason to avoid older models? I was looking at something like this refurb on "Mac of all trades" for $649. Supposedly excellent condition means the screen is unblemished. Has a one year warranty but I know gently caress all about that company/website.

iMac 27-inch 3.2GHz Quad-core i5 (Late 2013) ME088LL/A 8 - Excellent Condition

27-inch LED-backlit glossy widescreen TFT LCD display with IPS, 2560x1440 resolution

3.2GHz quad-core Intel Core i5 processor with Turbo Boost up to 3.6GHz

8.0GB (4x2.0GB) PC3-12800 (1600MHz) DDR3 SO-DIMM, upgradeable to 32.0GB

1.0TB Serial ATA hard disk drive @ 7200RPM

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Street price on a higher spec machine from late 2013 is like $500.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
idk their usage and I doubt they'd ever notice but I'd feel pretty weird about buying a non-retina 27" today. My parent's have one and whenever I go home it's painfully obvious (to me).

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Meh if you need more than 27" 1440p then you have a special use case and not just general productivity.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

Well, I pulled the trigger on a 16" to replace my 15" mid-2012 non-Retina:

16-inch MacBook Pro - Space Gray
With the following configuration:
2.3GHz 8‑core 9th‑generation Intel Core i9 processor, Turbo Boost up to 4.8GHz
32GB 2666MHz DDR4 memory
AMD Radeon Pro 5500M with 8GB of GDDR6 memory
1TB SSD storage

I hate that I just dropped that much on a laptop and there's still things I don't like about it, but that's the price if I want to keep using Mac OS, I guess. :-/ (at least the keyboard now won't break if a cat is nearby :v: )

As for #donglelife, any recommendations on an HDMI out dongle, and an SD Card reader? Oh, and is there a Magsafe to USB-C that won't burn my house down, since I'd like to keep using my existing extra charger?

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

mem posted:

My in-laws iMac just crapped out, and I was thinking of buying them one for Christmas. They are retired and I'm pretty sure don't do anything more than watch YouTube and email.
Sounds like an iPad would do the job IMHO.

Xabi fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Dec 10, 2019

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
An iPad is a great suggestion actually.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
I third the ipad suggestion, and if you get tired of helping out with it, Apple has excellent support for just this purpose.

Also if they're big into watching Youtube on the iMac, a smaller iPad screen may not be as fun for them. You might consider getting an Apple TV and teaching them how to airplay to it.

A not this year 13-inch pro might be a nice compromise for them, as well in terms of cost / screen size / etc.

Edit: I just noticed that used mac you're looking at has a hard drive in it. Please don't buy them a computer with rotating storage in tyool 2020 (close enough). Six years is old enough, on something that you need to lug in to service, that I would be a little iffy.

mediaphage fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Dec 10, 2019

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

What if someone put a Threadripper on a PCIe card similar to the Afterburner card they're about to offer on the new cheesegrater ][?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Binary Badger posted:

What if someone put a Threadripper on a PCIe card similar to the Afterburner card they're about to offer on the new cheesegrater ][?

Cooling. Pretty substantial additional OS code to handle that additional resource that only exists for that one platform. VS, just using AMD procs natively and not dealing with any of that.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Max price is $50,000 for the Mac Pro.... I can’t justify it, but with an XDR screen there’s a $14,000 version I want

gregday
May 23, 2003

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Those better be 18" alloys

eames
May 9, 2009

Project Titan hiding in plain sight

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Wow I didn't pay that much for four tires on my car

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Binary Badger posted:

Wow I didn't pay that much for four tires on my car

That's a pretty big give away you're not the target market :smugdog:

eames
May 9, 2009

the target audience already posted 20 minute Mac Pro unboxing videos on their respective youtube channels :v:

eames fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Dec 10, 2019

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

You can see the SATA ports, right? I don't see any mention of them in the specs. Are there drive bays?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Shaocaholica posted:

That's a pretty big give away you're not the target market :smugdog:

Which evidently seems to be bored Saudi princes looking to print to their color laserjet faster

eames
May 9, 2009

Bob Morales posted:

You can see the SATA ports, right? I don't see any mention of them in the specs. Are there drive bays?

Kind of. They mentioned this during the announcement. I believe they would block some PCIe slots though.

https://www.promise.com/us/Promotion/PegasusStorage

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Bob Morales posted:

The SATA ports are there on the board, but you have to buy a drive cage that mounts in the upper right corner (I think it comes from Promise).

eames posted:

Kind of. They mentioned this during the announcement. I believe they would block some PCIe slots though.

https://www.promise.com/us/Promotion/PegasusStorage

The RAID module does, since it needs those PCI slots to actually operate. The J2I does not, it goes in the upper right corner of the chassis and uses the motherboard's SATA ports.

eames
May 9, 2009

kefkafloyd posted:

The RAID module does, since it needs those PCI slots to actually operate. The J2I does not, it goes in the upper right corner of the chassis and uses the motherboard's SATA ports.

I noticed that just now. That should lead to some interesting HDD temperatures when the CPU is at full load, unless I'm missing something about the thermal design.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

eames posted:

the target audience already posted 20 minute Mac Pro unboxing videos on their respective youtube channels :v:

Justine will get one no matter what. She’s my female spirit animal in terms of pure joy about Apple products. MKBHD needs it because he’s convinced he needs red cameras to shoot gadget videos, and TLD knows he doesn’t need it so now he shots music videos so that he does need it 😂

eames
May 9, 2009

Security researchers just disclosed a new Intel vulnerability today, you can't make this stuff up. :v:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I hope the "do I need wheels for my Mac Pro" link is just a popup with the word "No"

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Ha, I didn't even notice the 5U rack configuration option before

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Martytoof posted:

I hope the "do I need wheels for my Mac Pro" link is just a popup with the word "No"

I would have really appreciated some wheeled cases when I managed a Mac Pro lab in the cheesegrater era.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Weedle posted:

I would have really appreciated some wheeled cases when I managed a Mac Pro lab in the cheesegrater era.

I was gonna say the wheels are expensive but they are probably for a very limited use case.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

:q:

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

How much are the wheels

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I want to see LTT do all the options for bottom dollar including the monitor stand. Like get $3 chinesium caster wheels from harbor freight and weld them to the chassis :thumbsup:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

They put the power button on the top of the case?

Morons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Designed by someone who has never owned a cat I suppose