Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
If Palpatine is Rey's grandpa and Anakin's sort-of father that makes Rey and Kylo some sort of cousins and I'm not sure Star Wars as a franchise is ready for incestuous main characters.

TerminalRaptor posted:

Had any of the movies used flashbacks until that scene?

There's a big one that's like three movies long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

TerminalRaptor posted:

Had any of the movies used flashbacks until that scene?

Force Awakens when Rey touches Luke’s lightsaber and trips out. Which is seemingly going to be a loose end.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

YaketySass posted:

If Palpatine is Rey's grandpa and Anakin's sort-of father that makes Rey and Kylo some sort of cousins and I'm not sure Star Wars as a franchise is ready for incestuous main characters.

There's a big one that's like three movies long.

GOT opened the floodgates, america is ready for it

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin
Apparently Bill Burr is in the Mandalorian so now I have to figure out a way to watch it without throwing my money at Disney

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0O4Thfe4Q4

Semi-confirmation of her legit being Sheev's granddaughter? Lol.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

The leaks are almost 100% accurate. Wow.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Can't spell Sheev without She.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

At last you've come. Rey... my granddaughter. Or, shall I call you by your true name... Shacy?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

https://youtu.be/UCIYCaXNe88

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

Pollyanna posted:

The leaks are almost 100% accurate. Wow.

That Rey staring at her hand has to be when she uses lightning to blow up the shuttle or whatever.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
One of the Knights of Ren is named "Trudgen." How fitting.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Horizon Burning posted:

That Rey staring at her hand has to be when she uses lightning to blow up the shuttle or whatever.

Oh Jesus you're totally right

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
All of it. It's all true.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I’m gonna guess that RLM’s review of the movie itself will be “it’s fine”, and will roll their eyes at the twists and stuff and the movie won’t be any more meaningful past that. The movie sounds like it’s gonna be very unintelligent, and just straightforward action and surprises n poo poo. That’s all it really needs to be, and as a Disney action flick it’ll be the same as usual, but oh man are some of the decisions made in the plot gonna puss a lot of people off.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Horizon Burning posted:

She's so angry in every action sequence it's a wonder it didn't happen sooner.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Ugh, we still have like a week. Longest week of my life.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

Ugh, we still have like a week. Longest week of my life.

Hollywood premiere is in 3 days; spoilers out the rear end by then, i’d imagine.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Hmm, I wonder if we’ll get widespread negative backlash before the movie is even officially released.

Oh yeah, didn’t it premiere in Japan already or something?

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Pollyanna posted:

Hmm, I wonder if we’ll get widespread negative backlash before the movie is even officially released.

Oh yeah, didn’t it premiere in Japan already or something?

There's absolutely going to be negative backlash just because it's the Sequel Trilogy, or Disney, or SJWs, or any other flimsy excuse to hate on something just for the sake of making a scene and getting views

Take any complaints with a Crait of salt and judge it for yourself first

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Vinylshadow posted:

There's absolutely going to be negative backlash just because it's the Sequel Trilogy, or Disney, or SJWs, or any other flimsy excuse to hate on something just for the sake of making a scene and getting views

Take any complaints with a Crait of salt and judge it for yourself first

Oh, I'm still probably going to go see it myself, and all I really need is action and ship battles and I'm happy. I'm not under the delusion that this needs to be a cinematic masterpiece to be worth it, it's gonna be cheesy and superficial and that's perfectly fine for Star Wars.

But I'm also looking forward to seeing a whole bunch of people get reaaaaal mad, and that is going to be just entertaining as the movie. One of the biggest reasons I'm considering going in person is so I can see people's reactions at the end.

Also, I said widespread backlash. It can't just be some alt-right assholes on the internet.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Dunno if anyone here follows Fake Theme Park but

https://twitter.com/fakethemepark/status/1205663710053912576?s=21

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

sassassin posted:

She's so angry in every action sequence it's a wonder it didn't happen sooner.

It's funny how we had six films of "Getting angry fucks you up and makes you an evil sorcerer". So they chose to headline the new trilogy with a character whose only real emotion is being pissed off and have her never suffer any blowback for this. Indeed she seems to just get rewarded for it.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

galagazombie posted:

It's funny how we had six films of "Getting angry fucks you up and makes you an evil sorcerer". So they chose to headline the new trilogy with a character whose only real emotion is being pissed off and have her never suffer any blowback for this. Indeed she seems to just get rewarded for it.

She’s sad sometimes! And confused, and excited, and disappointed, and joke-y too. She seems fine, actually.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

With all the leaks I'm really surprised Disney hasn't put out some statement about how this is the end of the trilogy and you should not under any circumstances spoil the movie because it would completely ruin the movie for everyone.

Not that I want that to happen because it was embarrassing as hell when they did that for Endgame, but it feels a bit telling that for their other big concluding movie this year they come off as not really giving a gently caress?

Dishwasher
Dec 5, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
People were satisfied with the build up to Endgame even if the finale was a bit of a wet balloon. They were salivating and ready for any conclusion.

I think with SW, they already know this trilogy is probably a creative disaster. It may even need an additional trilogy to wrap itself up. Best to just rip off the bandaid and keep pointing at The Mandalorian and other stuff. The Mandalorian is pretty much an effortlessly perfect Star Wars OT sequel.

I'm really, really liking Rebels so far too. Probably because its not set in the PT era, which I'm kinda ehhhhh about. Clone Wars is...just ok. The humorous and light tone of Rebels fits the universe better, but I can see why it pissed people right the gently caress off Immediately. The cowards should make the new trilogy resolve the Rebels ending cliffhanger.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Dishwasher posted:

People were satisfied with the build up to Endgame even if the finale was a bit of a wet balloon.

What the gently caress is your metric for a success, a mass orgy outside every theater in the world?

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Mulva posted:

What the gently caress is your metric for a success, a mass orgy outside every theater in the world?

*walks into theater, arms laden with buckets of popcorn and snacks, face aglow with anticipation and pure, innocent hope*

At least we won't have to endure another finale that's a giant pile of CG punchmans in a featureless CG wasteland, so there's that. Woohoo!

Dishwasher
Dec 5, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
Endgame was 'OK', but I'm not the biggest fan of that series to begin with. Why so aggressive? Its the weekend and 5 days away from a new Star Wars flick, chill. :unsmith:

Dishwasher fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Dec 14, 2019

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

General Dog posted:

Force Awakens when Rey touches Luke’s lightsaber and trips out. Which is seemingly going to be a loose end.

I’m sure there’ll be a whole eu novel delving into the details in minutiae that will immediately be contradicted and dismissed in the follow up animated series (only available on Disney+).

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I hope the remixed Duel of the Fates from the TV spots is somewhere in the movie/soundtrack

Or did they just grab it off some random YouTube remixer's page and called it a day

Its Coke
Oct 29, 2018
friendly reminder that if there's anything you might want to find right after the movie comes out, duckduckgo doesn't track your searches and also doesn't remove results for intellectual property reasons

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://www.twitch.tv/twitch

The Fortnite Star Wars event with the new clip is featured on Twitch.tv

E: Finn, Rey, Poe and the droids land on a first order ship with some new vessel I haven't seen before. They take out the guards in the dock then Rey mind tricks a couple storm troopers in a hallway.

As the event ended in game a number of Star Destroyers and Tie Fighters appeared with the presenters escaping in the Millennium Falcon. Everything went dark and Palpatine had a speech about how the Day of the Sith had arrived.

Dehry fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Dec 14, 2019

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

lmao that whole event was hyped to hell and it was a 30 second wet fart of a clip.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Bring a huge homemade pot of chili or spaghetti to the TROS opening night screening and share it with everybody.

With a ladle.

Ladle it into their bare hands.

A fantastical Star Wars experience.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

:thunk:
https://twitter.com/starwarstuff/status/1205829095524851712

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

They put an EARRING
on the GENERAL

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

TerminalRaptor posted:

I think Looper is a dumb movie as well and I think Rian just has trouble with writing sci fi in general. That being said, one of my friends recommended I go see Knives Out. He went in expecting to hate it and said it was quite excellent.

From a ways back, but Looper has the main issue TLJ does, where it spends an entire film establishing something, then just changing everything in the last 3rd. In Looper's case, causality and inevitability being a curse that rules everything, then, nope.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
No one's ever really gone! (when Disney focusgroups see even a glimmer of marketability)

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

So Abrams asked Lucasfilm if there is any way for them to re-release the theatrical cuts of the OT in a newer format (their last release was a 1995 VHS), and he was told they can't, but was not given a reason.

https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/1...-hope-lucasfilm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

FlamingLiberal posted:

So Abrams asked Lucasfilm if there is any way for them to re-release the theatrical cuts of the OT in a newer format (their last release was a 1995 VHS), and he was told they can't, but was not given a reason.

https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/1...-hope-lucasfilm

According to comments on Twitter (so take it with a Crait of salt) Disney can't distribute the theatrical cuts because that was part of the sale deal Lucas signed with them