Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
I think KOTOR 2's story is pretty silly, honestly. Killing The Force is equivalent to killing atoms because all bad things are made of them or killing air because all bad people breath it. The Force doesn't kill people, people kill people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

ErrEff posted:

I want a Palpatine family sitcom.

"Everyone Loves Palpatine"

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

It absolutely blows my mind that this telenovela about the Skywalker family drama ultimately became the story about the Palpatines.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I hesitate to call the prequels "good" but they're absolutely more ambitious and more thematically interesting and coherent than the sequels

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
*insert anything bad about the OT/PT*
Disney: Hold my beer money

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

The ST is at least highly reflective of the emerging issues of the present in an interesting way, again albeit unintentionally. You pretty much couldn't ask for a better summation of the worldview, hang-ups, and blind spots of libs circa 2014-2020. Whereas to me the prequels' bu$$$$h shtick was shallow at best and instantly dated

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

George H.W. oval office posted:

It absolutely blows my mind that this telenovela about the Skywalker family drama ultimately became the story about the Palpatines.

We learned nothing from the Cosby show.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

like people have said, just accept that canon isn’t real and things are a lot better. none of it’s real, it doesn’t matter. pick and choose what you like, who loving cares.

for me canon is the original 6 and the old EU except for the parts i think are stupid like Dark Empire. KOTOR 1 and 2 are canon, TOR is not canon because it’s stupid. Clone Wars can be canon except for parts that conflict with the EU books about the Clone Wars because those were more interesting than the show. Cartoon Network Samurai Jack Star Wars cartoon is canon because it’s awesome. Force Unleashed isn’t canon because it’s loving dumb. Rey, Finn, and Poe can be canon because I like them, the stories they’ve been in so far though mega not canon. Heir to the Empire/Outbound Flight book Thrawn canon, new Thrawn not canon. Yuuzhan Vong are canon, Republic Commando big canon, The Mandalorian is big canon, Ahsoka sure whatever she can be canon, Shatterpoint is canon, the stuff with baby Boba Fett in Clone Wars not canon, Solo can be canon it’s not any dumber and more pointless than the old canon’s Solo origin stuff, Rogue One can be canon I’ll just pretend Kyle Katarn and Jan (who are also big canon) stole something else, etc

nothing matters, it’s all fantasy, it will all be written and rewritten and retconned as the current creator sees fit, a work’s inherent value to you is not dictated by a company’s marketing department.

if you like it it’s real, if you don’t it’s not

can’t wait to see this dogshit movie then immediately forget about it lmao

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

No Mods No Masters posted:

The ST is at least highly reflective of the emerging issues of the present in an interesting way, again albeit unintentionally. You pretty much couldn't ask for a better summation of the worldview, hang-ups, and blind spots of libs circa 2014-2020. Whereas to me the prequels' bu$$$$h shtick was shallow at best and instantly dated

kind of impressive that the prequels were about bush when the first two were made basically before he did anything

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

W didn’t do anything that wasn’t predictable or outside of an analysis the collapse of western post war order

Asgerd
May 6, 2012

I worked up a powerful loneliness in my massive bed, in the massive dark.
Grimey Drawer

G-III posted:

The most egregious aspect of this sequel trilogy is that it is not about anything. There is no actual story here or even a lesson for the audience to walk away with

At least the prequels were a cautionary tale about how a representative republic goes belly up (a tale that seems oddly prophetic in a post 2016 world). Can anyone even state what this sequel trilogy was supposed to be about?

It's about family. And that's what's so powerful about it.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Zoran posted:

kind of impressive that the prequels were about bush when the first two were made basically before he did anything

America's love affair with imperialist wars and the disastrous backfires that ensue resulting in more authoritarianism at home aren't something Bush invented.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Gripping.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

euphronius posted:

W didn’t do anything that wasn’t predictable or outside of an analysis the collapse of western post war order

Precisely. The sequels are about a particular psychosis of the post-cold-war political center. The prequels have something resembling an analysis of the particular forces animating that era and they remain relevant today

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I just realized Rey's character is essentially the cute accountant (Leyla Harrison) in season 8&9 of xfiles - fangirl of Mulder/Scully, has heard the legends of their work, and eagerly jumps at the chance to go on adventures just like them! Except Leyla gets brutally owned and Rey is the galaxys best jedi

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Beeez posted:

I think KOTOR 2's story is pretty silly, honestly. Killing The Force is equivalent to killing atoms because all bad things are made of them or killing air because all bad people breath it. The Force doesn't kill people, people kill people.

my interpretation was that the characters good and evil are not necessarily right about killing the Force even being possible. that the heroic characters are willing to compromise their ethics out of fear that it might be and the villain believes it’s possible but that doing so is a net good for the galaxy and people’s lives is kind of why the story is so effective and different

but yeah the nominal villain of the story is the one who thinks the Force should be killed so I’m not sure the story is expecting you to necessarily agree with her logic

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
The character obsessed with "killing the force" is the final boss with a Darth title who swings a bunch of lightsabers telekinetically.

If you took her viewpoint as legitimate you didn't pay attention to the final act (final act not included in retail product).

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

YaketySass posted:

It would have been much better if it at least committed all the way to what Johnson was trying to do, but I suspect even he would have eventually chickened out and delivered a conventional conclusion.

It's kind of like how the uncritical lionization of Dany as a conqueror feminist icon in GoT was bad but still superior to pulling a "whoops, she did a fascism all along" at the last minute.

At least commit to one bad narrative instead of doing shallow contradictory ones all in the same story.

Not to defend the latter parts of Game of Thrones, exactly, they’re pretty bad, but this didn’t happen. A large part of the fanbase may have elided her brutality to make awful memes, but from very early in the series she was ruling as an absolute despot, torturing people to death and instituting a cult of personality in a quest for personal revenge and aggrandizement. Everything she does at the end is totally consistent with her character to that point

CodeJanitor
Mar 30, 2005
I still can't think of anything to say.

it was always the Palpatine family story. The Emperor was Anakin's father. :v:

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

DeimosRising posted:

Not to defend the latter parts of Game of Thrones, exactly, they’re pretty bad, but this didn’t happen. A large part of the fanbase may have elided her brutality to make awful memes, but from very early in the series she was ruling as an absolute despot, torturing people to death and instituting a cult of personality in a quest for personal revenge and aggrandizement. Everything she does at the end is totally consistent with her character to that point

Yeah, the problems with Dany's turn in GOT have little to do with Dany herself and a lot more to do with the fact that everyone around her turned into mush-brained idiots

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

CodeJanitor posted:

it was always the Palpatine family story. The Emperor was Anakin's father. :v:

I also believe that tho it isn’t strongly supported

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
dont spoil kotor 2 im playing it for the first time right now

Zeta Acosta fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Dec 18, 2019

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

DeimosRising posted:

Oh, it's not about her objective actions, but the framing of them as a gritty empowerment narrative in a tough dog-eat-dog world, and up to the end the incoherence of the worldview could just be chalked up to mere bad writing for the sake of a particular kind of fanservice. All the other main characters did awful things too. But no, as it turns out, they just had no idea what they were doing beyond delivering epic shocking twists or whatever.

That's sort of the same problem here: the movies don't really know what weight to give to dramatic situations, so they just change their meaning depending on what is convenient, ending up with ridiculous poo poo like "we have everything we need" or the grim events of the previous movies being suddenly ignored in favor of Sheev's comeback.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
But the writer of KOTOR 2 said that character was borne out of his dislike of the idea that the Force controls everything. But the fact that every prophecy in the movies is self-fulfilling, Yoda says the future is always in motion, and Sheev repeatedly says "Everything is proceeding as I have foreseen" before being thrown into a pit by his man servant call that into question more effectively than a character just trying to kill the Force, IMO.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

"The movie's a mess because of Chris Terrio (who wrote Batman v Superman and Justice League) and that's the only reason" is a take I'm looking forward to reading for the next few months.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

Beeez posted:

kotor 2 isn't about killing the force, it's just a larp from kreia.
What she really wants is for you to come to terms with your past deeds and move into a brighter future, becoming her new star pupil and shaping your own story.
She instigates a chain of events culminating in the purge of the sith and jedi and places you in a prime position to replace them, with your servants/companions as your new pupils.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Chris T will get thrown under the bus for sure. If it's really as bad as it seems I lean towards KK not surviving it as well

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

I dunno, depends if they double down on blaming it all on Rian like they've been doing the last couple of weeks. No way all these 'well, I never liked TLJ really' from the actors are just happening now by chance.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

blaming it on rian will come off as real hollow with how much this movie just straight up ignores TLJ

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Blaming it all on rian would have worked if people liked this movie. But it sounds like it didn't work out. As it is only JJ will walk away from the plane crash unscathed, as ever

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Chris T will get thrown under the bus for sure. If it's really as bad as it seems I lean towards KK not surviving it as well

It kind of depends how much money it makes. If it does well no one gives a poo poo.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

DeimosRising posted:

Not to defend the latter parts of Game of Thrones, exactly, they’re pretty bad, but this didn’t happen. A large part of the fanbase may have elided her brutality to make awful memes, but from very early in the series she was ruling as an absolute despot, torturing people* to death and instituting a cult of personality** in a quest for personal revenge and aggrandizement***. Everything she does at the end is totally consistent with her character to that point****

*slavers, rich elites, military enemies who were first given the opportunity to surrender peacefully and had the consequences made clear to them if they didn’t

**army of slaves she freed and gave the option of leaving, people she spared, unwashed hordes she liberated, army of barbarians she earned title over by forced child marriage/rape and then again by force after attempting diplomatic solution, dudes who traveled across the sea sight unseen to join her based on ???

***freeing slaves, overthrowing brutal ruling elites, seizing what she believed to be her stolen birthright from cruel psychotic despot

****if you the viewer are an insane person

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
I can't believe Rey is Triclops' daughter! That means... the Mofference, the Dark Greetings thereof, The Glove of Darth Vader... It's real, all of it :monocle:

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Blaming it all on rian would have worked if people liked this movie. But it sounds like it didn't work out. As it is only JJ will walk away from the plane crash unscathed, as ever

TLJ was divisive, this sounds like it won't really please anybody.

Anyway I doubt they'll want to draw attention to how the movies don't fit together, they'll probably say the fans had expectations too high.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Blast Fantasto posted:

It kind of depends how much money it makes. If it does well no one gives a poo poo.

TLJ made container ships full of money and they're still throwing Johnson to the wolves, and hes an established director, writers like Terrio are absolutely expendable in Disney's eyes

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

euphronius posted:

I also believe that tho it isn’t strongly supported
It’s heavily implied

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Brother Entropy posted:

blaming it on rian will come off as real hollow with how much this movie just straight up ignores TLJ

RotS could have been great, but TLJ screwed up the story too much! Of course Abrams had to bring back Palpatine, Rian Johnson killed Snoke too early!

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

So is it an emotional scene when palpatine tells rey that he's her father?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

FlamingLiberal posted:

It’s heavily implied

That makes Ben and Rey ... second cousins ? Lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Mandrel posted:

*slavers, rich elites, military enemies who were first given the opportunity to surrender peacefully and had the consequences made clear to them if they didn’t

**army of slaves she freed and gave the option of leaving, people she spared, unwashed hordes she liberated, army of barbarians she earned title over by forced child marriage/rape and then again by force after attempting diplomatic solution, dudes who traveled across the sea sight unseen to join her based on ???

***freeing slaves, overthrowing brutal ruling elites, seizing what she believed to be her stolen birthright from cruel psychotic despot

****if you the viewer are an insane personage

The first person she tortures to death is her own slave, for using witchcraft on her and her rapist, slaver husband. The second is also her (sex) slave, for stealing her property. Believing that an absolute monarchy is your “birthright” is not some kind of defense. You can’t “earn” titles. She liberates no one, she just uses an oppressed class’s resentments to put herself on top of a still existing wealth hierarchy. You bought a line of bullshit, when all along she was killing people for not bending the knee, not to alter social structures