Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Hey guys

I mainly play guitar but play a little piano as well.

I am on the road a lot for work and live in a hotel room for about 3 days a year. I've been recording guitar parts using an iRig and some iOS apps!

Is there a good keyboard controller that works well for on the road travel?

So far my research has shown CME Xkey and also the Korg microkey (nanokey) stuff but I haven't had a chance to touch any of them in person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
i have a CME Xkey 37, and its nice enough (but i still think it's overpriced)

the action on it is very similar to the chicklet keyboard of a 2015 macbook pro (before apple started making bad keyboards). with the aluminium construction, it really looks and feels like it could be an Apple product from that era.

my main problem with it is that it's hard to play with any dynamics on it. on paper, it's sensitive to how much pressure you apply. but in practice, each note is gonna be about as loud as the last one, unless you're paying very close attention to your touch.

i think its better suited to synth sounds and organ sounds than to piano sounds. but you can always dial in the dynamics after the fact, if you want

anyway, i got a deal on reverb so i didn't pay the full 200 bux. but i recommend it, with the caveats i mentioned

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

What the fuck is up, Denny's?!
Context: I have a real piano teacher.

As a supplemental tool in my learning, how do people feel about Yousician? Is it mostly there to give people extra practice on the instrument? Is that its sweet spot? Do you hit diminishing returns with it pretty quickly or can you keep going for a while? Does it teach you any bad habits that you need to watch out for?

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
How do those Piano Youtubers get that fancy guitar-hero-esque display for their piano?
It looks like it is a version of Synthesia. At first i figured it was a split screen setup and the top half showing the notes running down the screen was not to scale with the piano, but there is lighting on the pianist's hands that matches the notes. It could be post processing but at how real it looks i kinda doubt it since there is a lot of youtubers doing this now.

An example video is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUzwdBQDzxw

Sorry if this is really obvious and has been discussed to death lately. I have tried googling this but cannot find any info about it.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

The Rousseau channel, which seems to have been the first to do this (and the most popular) have posted on reddit that it's all done in editing. The light on the keys is just some LEDs in the piano and all the stuff in the upper half of the video is generated by a software from the MIDI file of what they played.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
i think its https://synthesiagame.com/

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

No it's the opposite. Synthesia is a game like Guitar Hero where you play notes equivalent to the bars that are appearing, this is an effect that's based on what they're playing.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Starting to gently caress with learning piano again, which I suppose is a sign my depression is improving :unsmith:

My fingering is all hosed up now, but I'm pleasantly surprised by the fact that I can still follow the sheet music.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
Meh

OneSizeFitsAll fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Dec 9, 2019

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

DreadCthulhu posted:

Context: I have a real piano teacher.

As a supplemental tool in my learning, how do people feel about Yousician? Is it mostly there to give people extra practice on the instrument? Is that its sweet spot? Do you hit diminishing returns with it pretty quickly or can you keep going for a while? Does it teach you any bad habits that you need to watch out for?

I have not used it but the impressions I have seen are not good, and it looks pretty bad to me at first blush, especially if you have a teacher. Save your money for more lessons or books, and save your time for practicing stuff from your lessons.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
So I've been feeling the call to play some music lately, something I haven't tried since grade school. Is there a reasonable starter keyboard I should buy? I'm sure this gets asked all the time, I read the OP and am 100% fine with something cheap though I do have money to budget if weighted keys will make a difference - sounds like folks here generally say to go for 88-key weighted. Being able to hook it up to a PC would certainly be cool. I live in a 1 bedroom nyc apartment, no upright pianos for me. I doubt I will get a teacher initially but it's something I am open to, I just don't know how much time I'll put into this in practice.

I think budget is probably around $1000 max though cheaper would be better. I don't mind buying something built to last, I'd rather spend money now than get something I'd want or have to replace eventually.

Like how would I choose between, say, this:
https://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-DGX-660-Weighted-Digital-Headphones/dp/B01M0AU5C4?tag=musiccritic-search-20&th=1

and this:
https://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-88-Key-Weighted-Digital-Sustain/dp/B07GB1NCB8/ref=dp_ob_title_ce?th=1

The DGX-660 sounds pretty cool and I'd say I'm leaning towards that but I really feel lost here, happy to accept a pitch for something else.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

So I've been feeling the call to play some music lately, something I haven't tried since grade school. Is there a reasonable starter keyboard I should buy? I'm sure this gets asked all the time, I read the OP and am 100% fine with something cheap though I do have money to budget if weighted keys will make a difference - sounds like folks here generally say to go for 88-key weighted. Being able to hook it up to a PC would certainly be cool. I live in a 1 bedroom nyc apartment, no upright pianos for me. I doubt I will get a teacher initially but it's something I am open to, I just don't know how much time I'll put into this in practice.

I think budget is probably around $1000 max though cheaper would be better. I don't mind buying something built to last, I'd rather spend money now than get something I'd want or have to replace eventually.

Like how would I choose between, say, this:
https://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-DGX-660-Weighted-Digital-Headphones/dp/B01M0AU5C4?tag=musiccritic-search-20&th=1

and this:
https://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-88-Key-Weighted-Digital-Sustain/dp/B07GB1NCB8/ref=dp_ob_title_ce?th=1

The DGX-660 sounds pretty cool and I'd say I'm leaning towards that but I really feel lost here, happy to accept a pitch for something else.

what kind of music are you trying to play on piano?

dgx-660 is newer and the key action is supposed to be the same. get that one if you have to choose between the 2
e: oops hosed this up, got this confused with the p105, which is what i have. the p125 is newer than the dgx660, but the dgx660 has more onboard sound fx

check the specs

https://usa.yamaha.com/products/musical_instruments/pianos/p_series/p-125/specs.html#product-tabs
https://usa.yamaha.com/products/musical_instruments/pianos/portable_grand/dgx-660/specs.html#product-tabs

Helianthus Annuus fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Dec 17, 2019

the numa numa song
Oct 3, 2006

Even though
I'm better than you
I am not
Weighted keys are worth it if you have the budget for them, which you do. Especially since you're not interested in upgrading later.

Demo videos for each are here, if you're curious:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLdneySKnpY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Idd8XrFvvA8

Looking at the Sweetwater listings (which give more detail than Amazon) and the specs sheets, my take:

P-125
- Has lots more under-the-hood sound processing to emulate the nuances of sound in a grand piano.
- Retails a bit cheaper (standalone, anyway).
- Is more portable at 26 lbs.

DGX-660
- APPEARS to have the same action as the P-125, going off of the specs sheets, but I couldn't be sure without digging deeper or playing them myself.
- Doesn't go the extra mile in emulating a realistic sound, but it is sampled from the same piano as the P-125, so it's still going to sound really good.
- Has LOTS more extras. 500+ voices and effects. Built-in recording. You can plug a mic in. Backing tracks. Software interaction with learning books.
- Is less portable than the P-125. 20 lbs heavier and 6" deeper.

Both support USB to host, so both will talk to your PC.

I have a hunch that the DGX will be a better fit for you, but the real question is still:

Helianthus Annuus posted:

the numa numa song fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Dec 17, 2019

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

the numa numa song posted:

- Has lots more under-the-hood sound processing to emulate the nuances of sound in a grand piano.

i didnt find that, how can you tell?

the numa numa song
Oct 3, 2006

Even though
I'm better than you
I am not
From the Sweetwater page, under the features list just above the specs:

"String Resonance re-creates the sympathetic sounds of all undamped strings resonating, mimicking the behavior of acoustic pianos"
"Key-off samples provide the delicate change in sound the instant the damper falls back to the string"
"Damper Resonance DSP re-creates the sound of the inside of a grand piano when the dampers are off the strings"

Couldn't find any similar features on the DGX listings.

I think all that stuff is...neat, but for a casual consumer I'm not sure it's really much competition against the DGX's laundry list of frills.

the numa numa song fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Dec 17, 2019

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Helianthus Annuus posted:

dgx-660 is newer and the key action is supposed to be the same. get that one if you have to choose between the 2
e: oops hosed this up, got this confused with the p105, which is what i have. the p125 is newer than the dgx660, but the dgx660 has more onboard sound fx

check the specs

https://usa.yamaha.com/products/musical_instruments/pianos/p_series/p-125/specs.html#product-tabs
https://usa.yamaha.com/products/musical_instruments/pianos/portable_grand/dgx-660/specs.html#product-tabs
A mix of rock and classical would be good. I'm kind of assuming that I don't know what I'll actually enjoy playing in practice, so something widely appropriate would be good. I doubt I'm going to ever end up performing anywhere so this would be purely for the fun of learning something and playing for myself, for me. I'm leaning towards the dgx660 at the moment - the voices and effects seem like a gimmick more than something I need, but they seem like a gimmick I'd enjoy nonetheless. The portability/footprint of the p125 is nice though, given the aforementioned small nyc apartment. I can't imagine the interactions with any software are great on that tiny lcd screen but it's something I'd try out. These were also just two that looked decent to me but I don't know what I don't know - I'm open to others for sure. I realize I haven't given a lot of info to go on so no worries if my questions are too ignorant/general to get a more specific answer.

My plan is to check out music stores locally before buying online. It'd be cool if I could actually play the thing I'm buying after all.

Cru Jones
Mar 28, 2007

Cowering behind a shield of hope and Obamanium
Any thoughts on the Roland FP-50? It looks like new models came out but the one I'm looking at seems reasonable?

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
can someone post about playing organ music at home?

are these yamaha digital pianos appropriate for that, or is the key action different to what you would get on an organ? im thinking one of those korg synths would be more appropriate for those kinds of sounds, and afaik they don't have the weighted keys like the yamaha digital pianos have

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
Didn't get any interest in my trip report to Bayreuth, but my Steingraeber B-192 is now here and I'm so excited and in love with it, so what the hell, these are some pictures of it in my music room. This is the piano for me - dark, warm, yet singing and clear when called for. The action is out of this world - I've been trying to refine my touch technique over the past year, and I'm already inspired by this to increase my efforts further so I can get the most out of it.

Wish I wasn't in the office today, as it's calling meeeeeee...

OneSizeFitsAll fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Dec 18, 2019

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I liked your story and photos a lot, but I'm not a big enough man to get over my seething jealousy. That piano looks great in the room. I like the dark tone as well.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
Thanks man. If it's any help on the jealousy front, I really, really, appreciate having this piano and am about as far from blasé about it as you could imagine.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

I also enjoyed the trip report, just don't have anything to contribute 👍

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Same. Amazing, updates encouraged

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

VelociBacon posted:

I liked your story and photos a lot, but I'm not a big enough man to get over my seething jealousy.

:same:

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Onesizefitsall, is baffling only a concern in a room like that with blank hard walls if you're trying to record something? I would have thought you'd get some unwanted acoustics from not having baffling throughout the room.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa

VelociBacon posted:

Onesizefitsall, is baffling only a concern in a room like that with blank hard walls if you're trying to record something? I would have thought you'd get some unwanted acoustics from not having baffling throughout the room.

I think baffling would improve the acoustics in there, and it is something I may look at, but thanks to the carpet, the rug and the items that are in there, plus the inherent tone of the piano, it's fine. I think having the lid fully open for long periods might be a bit fatiguing, but at half stick and low stick there are no issues.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
This really gave me a lot of trouble and I still can't play it very well, but I'm really sick of it so I'm moving on to the last one in the book.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cclfG-05jZ4

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

I ended up going with the DGX-660, and this is fun, and hard. My left hand is useless.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

What keyboard for gigs, midi, home use with speakers and 88 keys

Looking at the p515 but open to cheaper options

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

I expressed some interest in making music and I was gifted a Samson Graphite M25 Mini USB MIDI Controller and an "Adult Piano Adventures" book from Faber.

My piano goals are not lofty. I really just want to be able to plunk down a few chords and melody to help me work towards building songs. Right now I write the words and have a sense of the song in my brain but its hard to get it out of my head.

Looking at the companion Youtube videos I realize I will be working with a much smaller keyboard. Does this gently caress me?

the numa numa song
Oct 3, 2006

Even though
I'm better than you
I am not

Beer_Suitcase posted:

I expressed some interest in making music and I was gifted a Samson Graphite M25 Mini USB MIDI Controller and an "Adult Piano Adventures" book from Faber.

My piano goals are not lofty. I really just want to be able to plunk down a few chords and melody to help me work towards building songs. Right now I write the words and have a sense of the song in my brain but its hard to get it out of my head.

Looking at the companion Youtube videos I realize I will be working with a much smaller keyboard. Does this gently caress me?

You're (mostly) hosed for the Faber book. Beginning exercises probably focus on one hand but very very soon after you will be playing two hands. Teaching your hands to play together is a fundamental part of playing, no way around that. You'll pick up theory from the book, but you will not be able to engage in the actual playing exercises the way they are intended. (Unless you don't care about playing hands together, in which case just practice the lines individually? It's jank but you do you.)

You could use the Graphite for writing stuff, provided you're fine with like, playing chords separately, recording it, and then going back and writing the melody over it. It has Octave +/- buttons that will move you to the higher/lower ends of the board.

Are you familiar with using a digital audio workstation? MIDI controllers do not make sound on their own, they send MIDI instructions to a DAW and you can use a virtual instrument plugin in the DAW to play the MIDI back as audio. If you're more interested in the composing side of things than playing, you'll want to dive in and start learning this stuff.

the numa numa song fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Jan 3, 2020

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

You're (mostly) hosed for the Faber book. Beginning exercises probably focus on one hand but very very soon after you will be playing two hands. Teaching your hands to play together is a fundamental part of playing, no way around that. You'll pick up theory from the book, but you will not be able to engage in the actual playing exercises the way they are intended.

Im guessing the same goes for the Hoffman Academy videos too?

You could use the Graphite for writing stuff, provided you're fine with like, playing chords separately, recording it, and then going back and writing the melody over it. It has Octave +/- buttons that will move you to the higher/lower ends of the board.

That was going to be my exact process for the song, build it up from chords to melody.

Are you familiar with using a digital audio workstation? MIDI controllers do not make sound on their own, they send MIDI instructions to a DAW and you can use a virtual instrument plugin in the DAW to play the MIDI back as audio. If you're more interested in the composing side of things than playing, you'll want to dive in and start learning this stuff.

Ive used Audacity before but have also dinked around on Soundtrap (its a free beatmaker/very simple DAW.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
I need this: https://ideas.lego.com/projects/a4e4413f-8488-4551-ac9d-9e7f8c35154e

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Well they are making it so hooray for you?

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa

uXs posted:

Well they are making it so hooray for you?

Yes? I mean I posted it share a cool thing with other piano lovers, not to express angst.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

Yes? I mean I posted it share a cool thing with other piano lovers, not to express angst.

Oh right I thought you didn't realize they were going to make it.

I'm getting it too. Going to tell my teacher I bought a grand piano, I'm hoping I can bring it in and show her.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Finally done with the last burgmuller. Now on to the Bach 3 part inventions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oNd07ghhVg

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Nice!

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Holy poo poo the three part inventions are difficult, lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

What the fuck is up, Denny's?!
Any clever tricks for how to get better at using both hands at the same time? e.g. say I'm playing a really basic Hello Goodbye by the beatles, octaves in the left, chords in the right. It takes me way longer than I wish to get my left hand to aim and hit the right octaves correctly. Just a matter of grinding this again and again and eventually you're like a note sniper, and can hit anything you want right, and fast?