Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Horizon Burning posted:

Rey Palpatine fits right into TFA. "Who's the girl?" "What girl?" Leia seeming to know who she is. Luke leaving a map. It goes on. I think the TFA novel even has a more explicit bit of recognition from Kylo to her during the duel they have. She was absolutely supposed to be someone known.

Oh I agree that TFA drops all kinds of hints that everyone around her knows or suspects some secret about Rey. The thing is that being Palpatine or Obi-Wan's grandkid would have been really dumb because those characters are long dead and almost no one alive has a direct connection to them. It’s the kind of reveal that's meaningful to the fans but not to the characters themselves.

And yet here we are

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

They didn't have a three act structure

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

Zoran posted:

Oh I agree that TFA drops all kinds of hints that everyone around her knows or suspects some secret about Rey. The thing is that being Palpatine or Obi-Wan's grandkid would have been really dumb because those characters are long dead and almost no one alive has a direct connection to them. It’s the kind of reveal that's meaningful to the fans but not to the characters themselves.

And yet here we are

That's true. It also makes one wonder like... Say there was the big reveal that "You're Rey... Palpatine." What does that mean? It's one thing to be a descendant of the Emperor of the galaxy and another to be a descendant of the Sith Lord Darth Sidious. Do people know that Palpatine had that kind of power? Luke did, but he never seemed to talk about what went down in the throne room. So, would it be like...

"You're Rey Palpatine."
"Okay."
"Palpatine was a powerful Sith Lord."
"Okay?"
"He was extremely strong in the dark side of the Force."
"So?"

The only thing interesting about it would be maybe the idea of Ren's position in the First Order being usurped by Palpatine's scion and him having to deal with that.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Vim Fuego posted:

They didn't have a three act structure

Yes but, much like when they said "What are we supposed to do, we don't have any comics or books to adapt" it's struggling to find an excuse. and they event on the same page since Bob Igor got asked that and went "what, I wouldn't say we're going to stop doing trilogies?"

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Onmi posted:

Yes but, much like when they said "What are we supposed to do, we don't have any comics or books to adapt" it's struggling to find an excuse. and they event on the same page since Bob Igor got asked that and went "what, I wouldn't say we're going to stop doing trilogies?"

Iger is on the "Firing Kennedy" page.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Reposting this because the irony is the only thing making me see this over cats. But I’ll probably see cats first.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
Yeah, “This will begin to make things right” stands to become by far the funniest line in the whole Star Wars saga.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Beeez posted:

But the writer of KOTOR 2 said that character was borne out of his dislike of the idea that the Force controls everything. But the fact that every prophecy in the movies is self-fulfilling, Yoda says the future is always in motion, and Sheev repeatedly says "Everything is proceeding as I have foreseen" before being thrown into a pit by his man servant call that into question more effectively than a character just trying to kill the Force, IMO.

Sheev didn't die, he came back in the newest movie

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Zas posted:

lol thinking about anno taking a year off in the middle of a star wars trilogy cause hes depressed

That "year off" brought us Shin Godzilla

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

The thing is is that the marvel movies are the exception to how Disney runs things, not the rule. Their live action attempts outside of marvel are, aside from a couple success stories, infamous trainwrecks of production and plotting. Pretty much all of their recent remakes are overproduced garbage that gets forgotten immediately, and before that they kept striking out with adaptations like John Carter. Outside of animated films, Disney is just straight up bad at making movies, always have been, and they're kept afloat by nostalgia, the parks, and Marvel. It's just that Star Wars is the first time since Pirates that Disney's general incompetence has been under such scrutiny, and star wars fans are far more vocal and numerous.

You're absolutely right on this perspective. Although I feel like I'm an outlier that enjoyed Gore Virbinski using all the Disney monies to make some massive Gothic Lovecraftian pirate movies (1-3), I found the 4th to be completely unnecessary and insanely boring, and the fifth sort of back to some good form but overall entertaining. And I really enjoyed John Carter, and new Tron. But generally they do really mismanage their live action properties, have the live action cg heavy remakes of their animated classics been profitable?

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Jiro posted:

You're absolutely right on this perspective. Although I feel like I'm an outlier that enjoyed Gore Virbinski using all the Disney monies to make some massive Gothic Lovecraftian pirate movies (1-3), I found the 4th to be completely unnecessary and insanely boring, and the fifth sort of back to some good form but overall entertaining. And I really enjoyed John Carter, and new Tron. But generally they do really mismanage their live action properties, have the live action cg heavy remakes of their animated classics been profitable?

Insanely profitable, but they are quite bad and coasting off nostalgia.

e: except Dumbo that poo poo flopped and I think the Lady and the Tramp one went straight to D+?

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Like 95% of their animated to live action remakes have made over a billion, which is why they keep pumping them out. At this point I think the only real giant failures have been the sequels (whatever that Maleficent sequel was called bombed earlier this year, as did Alice Through The Looking Glass), and stuff like Dumbo and Cinderella weren't exactly "we need a new money bin" grossers, but just about everything else makes north of a billion and is completely forgotten about within weeks.

Despite this, I don't think a single one of those has been anything even approaching good, and it's kind of astounding how the biggest and most profitable movie studio in history has a long, long, long history of being absolutely poo poo at making a good movie. But that's also because I hated the Pirates sequels, thought Tron Legacy was absolute dogshit, and John Carter really shows its flaws more on every rewatch; that ending is still real good, though, which means the movie as a whole actually functions like it should (last act problems means you hosed up act one somewhere, a good rule of thumb to follow) which is more than can be said for, uh, most of the rest of what Disney has put out in live action with the company logo slapped above it.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
I'm going to the bodega for a pack of snokes, anyone need anything?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Vim Fuego posted:

I'm going to the bodega for a pack of snokes, anyone need anything?

Get me some Bacta and...uhhhhhhh....boneless pizza.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Stairmaster posted:

they should have given it to hideaki anno

Star Wars 9.99: Do (Not) There is No Try

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Stairmaster posted:

they should have given it to hideaki anno

Anakin, looking at his robotic hand "I'm so hosed up"

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
This is a page from the Rise of Kylo Ren comic.

*visible confusion*

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:staredog:

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Nice and fresh 58% RT right now.

Lol at critics over correcting for TLJ.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

well now... it finally has my attention.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

i mean it probably wont be bad in an interesting way. it'll probably be bad in the way that like the hobbit movies were bad. but who knows

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
56% now lol

Oh, it's beautiful.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Some powerful GoT energy vibes

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
http://www.bbc.com/culture/story/20191218-film-review-star-wars-the-rise-of-skywalker?ocid=twcul

"The main feeling it instills in the viewer is a renewed respect for the imagination of Lucas."

"It’s a video-game plot so contrived and ultimately pointless that George Lucas would have scrapped it when he was making his prequel trilogy."

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

i'll write up the draft for our collective apology to George

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

I like George even if he's pretty poo poo and also a billionaire; at least he helps the poor on his dime while trolling more reprehensible fuckers, and probably never molested anyone

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
It still blows my mind that they put "The dead speak!" as the opening line of the movie with literal Digitally Resurrected Zombie Carrie Fisher in it

edit: I'm not actually usually that much for drive-by bad movie rubbernecking, but boy

There's a whole, whole lot of people learning the hard way that investing too heavily into a heavily corporatized, merchandise-driven media franchise is a surefire way to get your heart broken eventually, even if this is more extreme than most examples

SpaceDrake fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Dec 18, 2019

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
"Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker is the Force ghost version of a movie... We need a new franchise designation for this stumbling, bloodless conglomeration of What Once Was. Rise of the Skywalker isn’t an ending, a sequel, a reboot, or a remix. It’s a zombie. Grade: C"

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
TFA was a competent by the numbers adequate movey. what the gently caress they did over there at disney to get to this trainwreck scenario. we are talking hey we dont have a plan scenario.

Postorder Trollet89
Jan 12, 2008
Sweden doesn't do religion. But if they did, it would probably be the best religion in the world.

Horizon Burning posted:

"Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker is the Force ghost version of a movie... We need a new franchise designation for this stumbling, bloodless conglomeration of What Once Was. Rise of the Skywalker isn’t an ending, a sequel, a reboot, or a remix. It’s a zombie. Grade: C"

Link?

Origin
Feb 15, 2006

Hey maybe when Disney decides to make more Star Wars movies they can have a primary antagonist that doesn’t 11 dimensional chess himself into absolute stupidity. The Tragedy of Darth Sidious the I can’t stop making stupid plans.

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
they did 8 more movies and still couldnt do a better baddie than my man darth vader

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Buyers and sellers remorse for this franchise. Iger must be super pissed. Not only did his company lose money and face he personally was involved in this trashfire. Plus Marvel doing so much better Lucasfilm is like the spoiled sibling trying to follow up the A+ sibling with at F report card even though you've spent more energy on them.

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Dec 18, 2019

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace
Was this more of Kennedy's fault or JJ's fault?

Aside from Star Trek 09, I've never really cared for his other stuff.

Rian Johnson is just the kid at the beach who kicks over your sand castle and then tells his mom that you kicked his over.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

SyRauk posted:

Rian Johnson is just the kid at the beach who kicks over your sand castle and then tells his mom that you kicked his over.

Who is 'mom' in this weird analogy?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Necrothatcher posted:

Who is 'mom' in this weird analogy?

Disney? I always laugh whenever Disney or other big businesses get mad at their fans getting fanatically possessive of their franchises like...

Yeah, fuckers, I wonder how you wound up in that position. One of life's great loving mysteries.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

lol, Rian Johnson is the Martin Luther of Star Wars.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Necrothatcher posted:

lol, Rian Johnson is the Martin Luther of Star Wars.

Hahahah that's so loving accurate though

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

SyRauk posted:

Was this more of Kennedy's fault or JJ's fault?

Three way tie with Kennedy, JJ and Iger.

Iger for the rushed timeline.
Kennedy for not ensuring there was an overarching plan for the movies.
And JJ making A New Hope 2.0 and mystery box crap.

Actually I changed my mind, JJ is clearly the one who's most responsible for this mess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Postorder Trollet89
Jan 12, 2008
Sweden doesn't do religion. But if they did, it would probably be the best religion in the world.

kilus aof posted:

Three way tie with Kennedy, JJ and Iger.

Iger for the rushed timeline.
Kennedy for not ensuring there was an overarching plan for the movies.
And JJ making A New Hope 2.0 and mystery box crap.

Actually I changed my mind, JJ is clearly the one who's most responsible for this mess.

KK was the one who made most of the early descisions.

- Decanonized the Expanded Universe
- Turned the sequel trilogy into a billion dollar game of telephone.

Then there was lots of obvious production issues with the stand alone movies and TROS.