Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Is there a good sensible reason why Fuji would have locked the ability to fire an off-camera flash on the X-Pro1 if it’s in “silent” mode?

I spent a good 30 minutes trying to figure out why my flash options were greyed out :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
Maybe the readout is too slow? Rolling shutter was pretty is pretty bad on the xpro1, I think.

The electronic shutter only design limits the sigma fp to a flash sync speed of 1/30.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Martytoof posted:

Is there a good sensible reason why Fuji would have locked the ability to fire an off-camera flash on the X-Pro1 if it’s in “silent” mode?

I spent a good 30 minutes trying to figure out why my flash options were greyed out :confused:

Presumably they expect people to activate Silent mode in a place requiring silence or discretion, like a church or movie set, and disabled the flash as well.

E: also it’s possible the electronic-only shutter mode doesn’t work with the flash.

E2: vv that’s right, I think silent mode on by default so it drove me insane the first time I tried to use flash, too.

red19fire fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Dec 3, 2019

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.

red19fire posted:

E: also it’s possible the electronic-only shutter mode doesn’t work with the flash.

Yeah it’s this

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Sensible. Thanks guys!

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Martytoof posted:

Sensible. Thanks guys!

The first time those words have appeared in the same post on the dead gay forums.

iammeandsoareyou
Oct 27, 2007
Nothing to see here

Splinter posted:

Compactness is a concern, and one of the reasons I like my current X-T1 setup (w/ 18-55, Lee Seven5 filters instead of 100mm), but most of the time I'm also carrying the 55-200 and Rokinon 12, and occasionally the 35 f2 and/or a tripod as well, so adding a bit of camera weight/size isn't necessarily a significant difference (except around the neck). The H1 probably wouldn't be much of an issue for me, I was just giving myself a reality check realizing the H1 (673g) + 16-55 (655g, 77mm filter) was similar in size/weight to my old APS-C DSLR setup of a D70 (679g) + Tamron 17-50 (569g, 72mm filter). Even if I stay with the T series, I've been planning on upsizing by adding a 10-24 and/or 16-80 and a larger prime (e.g. 56 1.2 or 16 1.4 instead of the 35 2), so losing some compactness is something I'm going to have to cope with regardless.

This is what I suspected. Think I'll go with either the T2 or H1 now and see how it goes and add the money saved to the lens fund. Unfortunately there's not a camera store in my area that stocks Fuji gear, so I can't try out the H1 before buying, but with the number of people I've seen raving out the IBIS, I 'm leaning toward just going for it. I can always just sell it and grab an X-T2 if I end up not liking the form factor.

I don’t think you’ll regret it. I have a T2 but I got an XH1/90mm package from Adorama mainly with the idea I could sell the body and still be ahead of the game on the lens. After playing around with XH1 I’m pretty sure the T2 is the one that will end up going away and I have loved the T2. The XH1 just feels like a major step up. It is bigger but without the battery grip attached it’s not huge. It seems to have better autofocus and the EVF is noticeably better, especially in indoor light. And so far the IBIS has lived up to the hype.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate
Post your Christmas photography shopping bargains itt

I picked up an X-T30 for €557/$615 (including double Fuji cashback). Should be good for more discreet street photography, travel, and playing backup to my X-H1.

I also picked up a new-in-box Fuji 27mm f/2.8 for €165 because what a bargain price. It’ll also make a nice compact combo when slapped on the X-T30.

GAS is real, but look at all the money I’ve saved. I’m going to be a millionaire.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Hello Spaceman posted:

Post your Christmas photography shopping bargains itt

I picked up an X-T30 for €557/$615 (including double Fuji cashback). Should be good for more discreet street photography, travel, and playing backup to my X-H1.

I also picked up a new-in-box Fuji 27mm f/2.8 for €165 because what a bargain price. It’ll also make a nice compact combo when slapped on the X-T30.

GAS is real, but look at all the money I’ve saved. I’m going to be a millionaire.

So are you going to post the source of your bargain, or are you just showing off?

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

XBenedict posted:

So are you going to post the source of your bargain, or are you just showing off?

I kinda doubt that a blacked out van parked in an alley has a website address but I could be wrong.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

XBenedict posted:

Gee okay uh, I thought others would also have something to be excited about. It’s not like I’m boasting about a Leica or Hasselblad.

The Fuji was a Black Friday deal at Park Cameras combined with Fuji’s double cashback offer on certain models. The base camera isn’t available for £619 anymore but the double cashback offer applies to any purchases (of qualifying models) made before 5 January 2020 (https://fujifilm-connect.com/promotions/)

The 27mm was bought on eBay from some seller in France. (https://m.ebay.ie/itm/NEW-Fuji-Fujifilm-Fujinon-XF-27mm-f-2-8-Lens-Black/174088689586?hash=item28887e97b2:g:Fg0AAOSwW4Jdw~NF )

There are more available and given the discount (compared to retail) I’m hoping it’s not stock that fell off the back of a truck.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

The pancake 27 and X-T30 is going to be an awesome street combo, I love the 27 on my X-T20. Enjoy.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
Is there a Sony thread or do you guys just never discuss their stuff

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

beergod posted:

Is there a Sony thread or do you guys just never discuss their stuff

This is it.
We love their sensors with the same intensity as our hate for their interface.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004

Animal posted:

This is it.
We love their sensors with the same intensity as our hate for their interface.

Interface is bad but...the ar7 iii is the most insane price to camera deal in the industry. As far as my photo pro friends tell me

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

beergod posted:

Interface is bad but...the ar7 iii is the most insane price to camera deal in the industry. As far as my photo pro friends tell me

A7R3? Really nice performance but god drat the user interface sucks a giant bag of rancid dicks. If you can live with lesser AF performance I think the Z7 would be a nicer camera to work with in that price class.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
I meant the a73

I was drunk leave me alone op

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
Pretty sure price/performance title is strongly challenged by the G9 with the 2.0 firmware update.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

beergod posted:

I was drunk leave me alone op

I dunno, guys. For some reason I think forums poster "beergod" is telling the truth here...

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

President Beep posted:

I dunno, guys. For some reason I think forums poster "beergod" is telling the truth here...

If they were a beergod they would be able to handle their alcohol :colbert:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Dr. VooDoo posted:

:hmmyes:

beergod
Nov 1, 2004

Dr. VooDoo posted:

What is the point of alcohol if to not be drunk

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
Also my a 7 iii owns your Fuji trash plebs

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

beergod posted:

look at this scrub with a PASM dial :smug:

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
just remember try not to get soup on the huge gigantic Full Frame sony sensor while showing it off at christmas dinner

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
As long as we all agree Canon and Nikon are poo poo.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I wandered into a camera store and saw all these new mirrorless lines from Canon and Nikon which were in a way supposed to bring down their DSLR systems' prices? But the 5D Mk 4 did not look like it dropped in price since it was released. Ooof.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Schneider Heim posted:

which were in a way supposed to bring down their DSLR systems' prices?

Nah.

There's 50 years of glass and user base in that system. Don't expect big price drops yet.

In a year or so when someone can fully replace their DSLRs with mirrorless, maybe.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I think at the moment they're trying to price their mirrorless stuff competitively since they're both late to the game, while the DSLRs already have a very well established user base and I'm not sure they have a lot of reason to drop the floor out on high value products that are still selling well. I know Nikon outsold their expectations for the D850 and couldn't really keep up with demand. Not sure how things went on the Canon side since it seems like their DSLR upgrades have been a lot more incremental.
FWIW the 5d4 is $1k off at the moment.

powderific fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Dec 20, 2019

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

beergod posted:

Don’t talk to me or my X-T1 every again

I kind of regret getting into mirrorless as early as I did because of how fast the technology has progressed. Hard to keep up and my T1 is already old hat. But it still works pretty well :unsmith:

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Dr. VooDoo posted:

I kind of regret getting into mirrorless as early as I did because of how fast the technology has progressed. Hard to keep up and my T1 is already old hat. But it still works pretty well :unsmith:

If I find an X-T2 at the right price I might upgrade my X-T1, outside of that I'll probably wait for the X-T4. But yeah, it works well enough.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Only thing I dislike about my X-Pro1 is the AF speed and VF lag.

Other than that, I’m not sure I’ll ever really outgrow that camera.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

powderific posted:

I think at the moment they're trying to price their mirrorless stuff competitively since they're both late to the game, while the DSLRs already have a very well established user base and I'm not sure they have a lot of reason to drop the floor out on high value products that are still selling well. I know Nikon outsold their expectations for the D850 and couldn't really keep up with demand. Not sure how things went on the Canon side since it seems like their DSLR upgrades have been a lot more incremental.
FWIW the 5d4 is $2k off at the moment.

Yep, pretty much bang on. The Nikon Z7 is the mirrorless equivalent (mostly) to a D850, and the 850 is still the more expensive camera, and is still selling well.

I'll be moving to either the Z line or GFX in the next 12 months, but I don't know too many shooters who are desperate to jump, as their current stuff is still exceptionally good.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Dr. VooDoo posted:

I bought mine last 2016 when the X-T2 was new. I am torn between getting an X-T3 next year once my job situation stabilizes, or waiting for the X-T4.

I really don't have a lot of complaints, except for the low-light performance at ISO 6400. Granted, my last body was a Canon 550D, and that was even more atrocious.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Yeast posted:

Yep, pretty much bang on. The Nikon Z7 is the mirrorless equivalent (mostly) to a D850, and the 850 is still the more expensive camera, and is still selling well.

I'll be moving to either the Z line or GFX in the next 12 months, but I don't know too many shooters who are desperate to jump, as their current stuff is still exceptionally good.

I did wind up jumping from a D850 to a Z6, but a large part of that was motivated by it being much nicer to use my MF Zeiss glass on a mirrorless camera. For the one autofocus lens I own the D850 was better; prefer the Z6 for everything else.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

XT1 has four problems:
- super easy to knock all dials out to wrong settings (please look at Nikon F4 how to do it properly)
- tiny useless grip, and the battery grip is useless too (have to remove the grip to change battery??). the largest extra hand grip is Ok though
- dim viewfinder during day
- laggy viewfinder which freaks out and gives all kinds of visual artefacts when autofocusing etc.

Also the Samyang lenses made for it are poo poo. I have the 8mm fisheye (god how the focus is stiff beyond any reason) and 12/2 (it has a very stiff focus too). Image quality is nice but the lenses are mechanically the worst. Even Tamron and Cosina made mechanically better lenses in 80's. Way better. Never used such dinky lenses before.

I am hoping to relubricate both with a thinner grease so maybe they are serviceable after that. If not, time to sell them.

I bought a Sony A7II for 600€ because I wanted to use my old MF Nikkors. K 135/2 had sand in since 2011 and I haven't used it because of that sand problem. So I bought an Ai-S 135/2 with hopefully better coatings and hood. It had an unusably stiff focusing too so I relubricated with S-10 helical grease. Some idiot had relubed it earlier with wrong grease. It is now nice.

I found motivaton to relube my K 135/2 and clean the sand away too. Nice. Did my Ai-S 85/1.4 too. Previous owner had it relubed in Hong Kong and it had the same issues as Ai-S 135/2 - some idiot used wrong, overly stiff grease. Used the same S-10 grease and now it's veeery nice too.

Japan hobby sells many kinds of helical greases but they're so expensive that I haven't wanted to buy them. The S-10 seems to work well enough for most applications. I have S-30 too but it has been too thick for all of my Nikkors which I've tried.

Anyways Sony A7II is also a bad camera, worse than X-T1 in most ways, except the fullframe sensor and IBIS. I hate Sony's menus, camera design, tiny batteries which drain after 20 photos (and batteries turn from 40%->0% instantly), "eye" sensor which activates from 20cm away, poo poo menus, no my menu, ahhhh the list goes on. Ohh and the "sorry you won't get a charger" thing. Have to charge batteries with an usb cable? Can't use the camera while it's charging? Oh and if you bought the vertical grip you have to remove it and insert battries to the camera to charge them, one by one (bought a 2 slot charger from patona). But I still use it more than my X-T1 because of the FF sensor and the look old Nikkor lenses give with a FF sensor.

Yeah also bought the Metabones v2 Nikon->Sony E adapter. Lol it was too thick and functioned as an extension ring - none of my lenses with hard infinity stop focused to infinity. Good job... good QC. I asked from Metabones about the issue and they never responded. Never buying anything from Metabones ever again, returned the POS adapter and got my money back minus 18€ shipping fees.

Anyways, mirrorless cameras are so good with manual focus lenses (compared to reflex cameras). I can see exactly what I get. A7II viewfinder is a bit low res compared to my Nikon F2 viewfinder, it's harder to focus but the 5.9x zoom function helps with accurate focus. Maybe the new higher rez viewfinder in new Sonys is good enough but they're too expensive.

I still use my X-T1 if I want a light camera, or autofocus. I'm not buying a new set of FF lenses when the best camera system changes every other year. Maybe Nikon will come out with an Ai F to Z adapter with an Ai feeler tab and a stop down tab which allows me to focus with full aperture and the adapter automatically stops down the lens for exposure. One can dream...

I doubt Nikon can produce one though since they don't seem to care about old lenses or Nikon users too much these days. Also their "battery grip" with no shutter release or any other buttons...? Heh.

Sorry about the negative rant. I just wonder who keeps designing these cameras and lenses when all of these mechanical and usability problems were solved already over 40 years ago in Nikon F2AS and the Ai lenses. At least Sigma finally learned how to make sharp lenses, even though they have to make them 3x larger than other manufacturers.

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Dec 20, 2019

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

I really like my A7II, but I totally agree with your complaints regarding battery life, the eye sensor, and the menus.

I moved up to this camera from an EOS 7D, and it’s been a massive improvement in some very big ways, but I do miss the Canon’s ergonomics.

ugh whatever jeez
Mar 19, 2009

Buglord
I keep thinking about A7 III, but same - mk II made me hate Sony pretty bad. In some ways I liked original A7 better, cheap, light, no bullshit, better ergo for me, simple camera for manual lenses.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

My A7II won't be going anywhere. For all of it's faults there's just too much I like about it. There's no other option out there that ticks enough boxes for me. I would've gone with the original A7, but I really wanted IBIS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Ihmemies posted:

I doubt Nikon can produce one though since they don't seem to care about old lenses or Nikon users too much these days. Also their "battery grip" with no shutter release or any other buttons...? Heh.

Sorry about the negative rant. I just wonder who keeps designing these cameras and lenses when all of these mechanical and usability problems were solved already over 40 years ago in Nikon F2AS and the Ai lenses. At least Sigma finally learned how to make sharp lenses, even though they have to make them 3x larger than other manufacturers.

Maybe you're the person Nikon designed the DF for.