Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

JOHN SKELETON posted:

In the show, they should just come up with a Star Trek technobabble equivalent for why Traveling to Perrin or w/e can't happen right now.

My Lord Dragon, the Pattern is too weak around <area> to Travel without all channelers in <large radius> knowing it!!!! Or whatever. Just like there's constant excuses around channeling itself.

There is a bit of that in the books. At a couple points perrins'channelers can't weave gateways for *reasons*.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Now part of me wants the entire show to take place in a stedding as various ogier children retell the story and argue about why channeling doesn’t work.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I'm a good chunk through AMOL, and yeah, his characters feel a little off, but theres no denying that he did a good job all the same.

Also Androl rules gently caress the haters

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
The real reveal that Demandred was Bao the Wild from Shara almost is hand wavey out of nowhere. Yeah, that mysterious people who we've never explored in any of the core material? Well now bad guys are from there.

Even the forsaken that got Bale-fired in the Stone had a better backstory.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Belal, yep. Loial even is forced to go "um yeah so we only know a nickname and maybe one or two things?" about him.

I agree on the Bao thing. Shara had started to be clued in, a few times, but it was pretty odd.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
I had to reread the page a few times when the gateways opened just to figure out what the hell was going on. Once it clicked, and the details about Demandred co-opting a mythic/cultural role from Shara were explained, I thought it was great. Having all the Forsaken focus on one continent doesn't make a ton of sense (but then, they're not very smart people). Having one of them realize that and conceal it from the rest is a great idea.

When it developed that there would be an actual non-infomercial adaptation, that moment of the gateways opening in the middle of a battle became The Thing I'm Waiting For.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I'm looking forward to most of the major events in the series on screen, TBH. I hope this show does well enough to have a big-rear end budget by time they get to Dumai's Wells.

Early season stuff could be done without much flash, throwing most of the fx budget at the Seanchan invasion, but Dumai's Wells really blows the lid off what channelers are capable of when they cut loose.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
The first scene I want them to earn is Thom shoving Mat and Rand off and turning towards the Myrdraal at Whitebridge.

But the first thing I am really really really really looking forward to on screen isn't until everybody comes together at Falme. Blademaster, To Come Out of the Shadow, The Grave is No Bar to My Call.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Dec 18, 2019

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Just reread the end of the great hunt and...yeah.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Of the early scenes, the one I'm hoping they adapt is Moraine's lecture about Manetheren. That's actually what hooked me on the book the third time I tried to read it.

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

ConfusedUs posted:

I'm looking forward to most of the major events in the series on screen, TBH. I hope this show does well enough to have a big-rear end budget by time they get to Dumai's Wells.

Early season stuff could be done without much flash, throwing most of the fx budget at the Seanchan invasion, but Dumai's Wells really blows the lid off what channelers are capable of when they cut loose.

To be fair, I think the Battle of Cairhein had Rand using an Angreal and immolating entire hills, killing thousands of Shaido?

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

I'm content as long as they don't penny-pinch on the tugging scenes.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

ChubbyChecker posted:

I'm content as long as they don't penny-pinch on the tugging scenes.

I don't think those were the most important parts of Game of Thrones, and they got pretty gratuitous over time.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

The first scene I want them to earn is Thom shoving Mat and Rand off and turning towards the Myrdraal at Whitebridge.

But the first thing I am really really really really looking forward to on screen isn't until everybody comes together at Falme. Blademaster, To Come Out of the Shadow, The Grave is No Bar to My Call.

Yeah that scene with Thom loving ruled

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Gnoman posted:

Of the early scenes, the one I'm hoping they adapt is Moraine's lecture about Manetheren. That's actually what hooked me on the book the third time I tried to read it.

oh yeah i'm 99% sure they'll do that, it's such a big character and world-building moment and also very cool

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Oh they'll do it, the question will be how much money do they have to spend? If they have the cash, the way to do it in a visual medium is to show the events happening. If they don't, then we'll see how well Rosamund Pike sells it.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

jng2058 posted:

Oh they'll do it, the question will be how much money do they have to spend? If they have the cash, the way to do it in a visual medium is to show the events happening. If they don't, then we'll see how well Rosamund Pike sells it.

If they're smart they'll also film the sequences for when they need it in TSR.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
Moirane giving that big lecture to a bunch of podunk farmers from nowhere and what it ends up cascading into is, in retrospect, probably the first, big example of the ta'veren twisting the pattern since it pretty directly leads into Lord Perrin being a possibility.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
Moiraine just intended to call them a bunch of loving hicks.

Out of curiosity, can someone who has the ebooks handy tell me if the word "district" gets used past the early chapters?

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

bloom posted:

Out of curiosity, can someone who has the ebooks handy tell me if the word "district" gets used past the early chapters?

It only appears twice, once in chapter 11 and once in chapter 24. "Distinctly" appears once in chapter 14. "Indistinct" appears fives times in total in the book, once in chapters 11, 12, 20, 33, and 40.

Yeah I'm bored, why do you ask?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

bloom posted:

Moiraine just intended to call them a bunch of loving hicks.

I think my favorite part is right after, when someone is like "I have no idea what you were talking about, but you helped my son not have a crippled leg so uh sorry for the pitchfork mob"

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?

silvergoose posted:

I think my favorite part is right after, when someone is like "I have no idea what you were talking about, but you helped my son not have a crippled leg so uh sorry for the pitchfork mob"

I'm reading the series for the first time and got to this part, and yeah, this killed me. I imagined when she finished there was a looooooooong pause before his "uh, I don't know about all that, but,"

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I like to think Jordan wanted to skewer Randian speeches with how actual people might really respond

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I like to think Jordan wanted to skewer Randian speeches with how actual people might really respond

So he was basically predicting and tearing down sword of truth right in his first book, huh

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Rand definitely should have loving levelled Falme when they didn't agree to peace. Man I thought on this reread it would be a little different but I still hate the Seanchan

Things that are different than when I first read the series years ago:I don't dislike perrin chapters as much, Rand is so clearly mad that it's comical imagining everyone riding around following him as he stops, stares into the distance, has a conversation with himself, then looks at them and says, "I'm not mad yet". Just thinking about that makes me laugh.

I disliked egwene on my first read but now she's one of my favorite characters. All the wide ones are great. Knowing what's happening with Verin makes me appreciate her a lot.

Mats still the best character though

SSJ_naruto_2003 fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Dec 19, 2019

The Neal!
Sep 3, 2004

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Rand definitely should have loving levelled Falme when they didn't agree to peace. Man I thought on this reread it would be a little different but I still hate the Seanchan

Things that are different than when I first read the series years ago:I don't dislike perrin chapters as much, Rand is so clearly mad that it's comical imagining everyone riding around following him as he stops, stares into the distance, has a conversation with himself, then looks at them and says, "I'm not mad yet". Just thinking about that makes me laugh.

I disliked egwene on my first read but now she's one of my favorite characters. All the wide ones are great. Knowing what's happening with Verin makes me appreciate her a lot.

Mats still the best character though

Perrin is the best character, the only one that treats his love interest like an independent loving person and has some of the best stories (besides waiting around in the snow for like 3 books).

To be fair to the people following Rand, everyone is well aware he's insane so I think it's more of a "oh god, just humour him he's the only person who can stop the world from ending"

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
He can also explode you with his mind so what are you gonna do?

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Knowing what's happening with Verin makes me appreciate her a lot.
I dunno if we need to spoiler this poo poo but I finished TGH a few days ago and there was a fun subtle moment when they're leaving the Darkfriend Lord Barthanes' party in Cairhien and Verin stops to talk a few words with him. All Rand notices is that Barthanes looks surprised for a moment and then they get going. I bet Verin said something like yo I serve the Great Lord too, gently caress off and don't bother us.

TURTLE SLUT fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Dec 19, 2019

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

All the wide ones are great. Knowing what's happening with Verin makes me appreciate her a lot.

I see what you did there.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

VikingofRock posted:

I see what you did there.

got autocorrected on my phone, but that is also true. bayle was a wide one, after all

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

JOHN SKELETON posted:

I dunno if we need to spoiler this poo poo but I finished TGH a few days ago and there was a fun subtle moment when they're leaving the Darkfriend Lord Barthanes' party in Cairhien and Verin stops to talk a few words with him. All Rand notices is that Barthanes looks surprised for a moment and then they get going. I bet Verin said something like yo I serve the Great Lord too, gently caress off and don't bother us.

Yeah that and the long discussions with ingtar on the ride down.

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

silvergoose posted:

I thought about that too. From how Ingtar behaves, I think he assumes there's no another Darkfriends on the journey. Verin might know what he is, but he doesn't know what she (sorta) is. Ingtar seemed focused on redeeming himself, and instead if he thought there was a much higher ranking Darkfriend on the journey, you'd think he would be scared shitless and instead focused on doing whatever Verin wants.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

JOHN SKELETON posted:

I thought about that too. From how Ingtar behaves, I think he assumes there's no another Darkfriends on the journey. Verin might know what he is, but he doesn't know what she (sorta) is. Ingtar seemed focused on redeeming himself, and instead if he thought there was a much higher ranking Darkfriend on the journey, you'd think he would be scared shitless and instead focused on doing whatever Verin wants.

Well unless she could tell what he was doing, since in the end they were on the same side! :woop:

anyway, the great hunt is pretty...good.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Yeah, Eye of the World is probably one of the better standalone hero's journey books in modern fiction, and The Great Hunt keeps the momentum going. Between the two of them it's easy to see why the series took off.

Anias fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Dec 20, 2019

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Yea Jordan’s a good writer too. He’s a little long winded but descriptions are good. Honestly, he’s got a knack for character names. There’s a few people I can’t keep track of who they are but most character names are very easy and distinct. Like keeping track of every person in GoT is miserable.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
Imagining two Aes Sedai with the same name, staring each other down like Two Cat Strangers

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

silvergoose posted:

JOHN SKELETON posted:

Or, since Verin is singularly focused on the "hour of death" phrasing of the Black oaths, and that she was also depicted working on... not exactly turning ... but steering fellow Aes Sedai, Black or not, during the middle of the series, and that she sent Tomas on his own redemptive suicide mission, she may have focused Ingtar on the same kind of "therapy"

We'll never know.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Dec 20, 2019

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Invalid Validation posted:

Yea Jordan’s a good writer too. He’s a little long winded but descriptions are good. Honestly, he’s got a knack for character names. There’s a few people I can’t keep track of who they are but most character names are very easy and distinct. Like keeping track of every person in GoT is miserable.

I think the only two I legitimately have issues keeping straight are Galad and Gawyn. I can keep the two characters separate in my head, I just can never remember which one is which.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
It always weirds me out a bit when I remember that Rand shares a half-brother with Elayne.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Soysaucebeast posted:

I think the only two I legitimately have issues keeping straight are Galad and Gawyn. I can keep the two characters separate in my head, I just can never remember which one is which.

Galad = goody good that turns out to actually be good

Gawyn = supposedly good but a moran