Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Donovan Trip posted:

Only a dark lord of the sith deals in absolutes

That’s a racist statement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Shaocaholica posted:

That’s a racist statement.

??????

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Mat Cauthon posted:

He's right.

weekly font posted:

There’s a decent read here considering Johnson’s extremely online twitter and the politics of Knives Out. Lots of Holdos criticisms at Poe are word for word #stillwithher stuff directed at Bernie Bros in November 2016

I'm not super familiar with CD and I have never heard of the hillary man thing, so I wasn't sure if that was like an elaborate Goon'splanation or what.

But now that's explained, I can kind of see it everywhere. I'm kind of baffled I've never heard it before, and Google only yields HRC conspiracy theories.

Edit: Like, is hillary man an SA only thing? It's blowing my mind...

ThePopeOfFun fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Dec 19, 2019

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Sheev just wanted to open up a series of chain yogurt joints called Absolutes and was once again murdered for his efforts.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Lol i just remembered something from this film. They're all trying to think how to take out the new Sith fleet and Dominic Monaghan shouts out "Hey let's try the Holdo maneuver" and Poe is like "um nah that's a one in a million shot" and they move the gently caress on from that idea. JJ was clearly anticipating everyone asking why dont they just light speed some ships into the enemy like TLJ. It was hand waved so poorly.

riseofmydick
Dec 18, 2019

by Pragmatica

thrawn527 posted:

I agree that JJ isn't interested in politics, but I'm going to have to push back on how much the OT cared as well. Sure, in ANH you hear about some vague Clone Wars, and you get a comment about how the Senate has been abolished and is no longer needed because they have the Death Star and will use it to rule with fear. Which is an interesting idea and cool bit of world building. But then the Death Star is destroyed and...that never really comes up as an issue in politics. Did he have to bring the Senate back? Does he just rule with fear of all of their Star Destroyers? If he could do that, why didn't he do that before the Death Star? Sure, a 2nd one is built in ROTJ, but no one knows about that for years, so that isn't it. You'd expect the sequel to bring that up at all if it was interested in the politics of the galaxy. But I'll give you ANH.

Then ESB comes along and completely ignores that. Darth Vader is using the Imperial military to obsessively search for Luke, killing his own commanders if they fail him. There's no idea what's happening in the larger political affairs. I guess you get a little bit of it with what's going on in Cloud City, but that is seriously small scale. You know Vader wants to recruit Luke and take over as Emperor, but that's not all that different than Kylo becoming the new Supreme Leader. He wants to rule the thing.

ROTJ similarly doesn't really give a poo poo about politics. He's building a new Death Star, but the lack of both a Death Star AND/OR a Senate for the last 4 years is never addressed. Emperor shows up because he wants Luke to be his new henchman, he dies, and the Galactic Empire...dies? Becomes a Republic again? Some EU stuff and the new movies flesh it out, but ROTJ doesn't care one lick what happens next. They killed the big bad guy, yay!

It isn't until the prequels came along that politics become heavily involved.

Bro, sit down.

Star Wars was always a civil war analogy.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
a million bullshit explanations for why they dont do hyperdrive suicide runs, some of which were posted in this very thread, and they go with the dumbest possible one

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

General Dog posted:

Such a large percentage of the galaxy is either indifferent to the idea of an authoritarian government or actively yearns for one, I'm not really sure why we're even supposed to be rooting for the "freedom fighters" at this point.

It's like what exactly is stopping the trillions of people that supported the Nazis for the last like 80 years from continuing to do so, especially considering we've shown all the "Resistance" figures are terrible leaders and the status quo hasn't changed in the slightest. Odds are there's another 5 or 6 years of peace and then another brand of Imperials come to power.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

ThePopeOfFun posted:

I'm not super familiar with CD and I have never heard of the hillary man thing, so I wasn't sure if that was like an elaborate Goon'splanation or what.

But now that's explained, I can kind of see it everywhere. I'm kind of baffled I've never heard it before, and Google only yields HRC conspiracy theories.

Edit: Like, is hillary man an SA only thing? It's blowing my mind...

mostly a left twitter and C-SPAM thing, I think

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

General Dog posted:

They're white men who occasionally obliquely criticize #woke marketing of franchise films.

They seem to be part of the segment of the population that had its brain shattered by The Last Jedi; the Plinkett review of the movie has a bit where, completely unprompted by the context of the movie, the guy says something like "watch out Poe, or you'll get arrested for MANSPLAINING!!!!!

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

riseofmydick posted:

Bro, sit down.

Star Wars was always a civil war analogy.

I always saw the Orginals as WWII to be fair, but that one for the Prequels absolutely

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Boris Galerkin posted:

The resistance was in hiding after hearing palpatine’s broadcast. Nobody wanted to fight but Poe gave a speech about how they will fight if someone leads them so Lando and Chewbacca take the falcon to go find those people during the time Poe and his small fleet was getting destroyed. I’m pretty sure the only thing the falcon did in the actual battle was go pick up Finn, who is now a general, off of the star destroyer he was on.

gently caress yes. radio free sheev is the best

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

riseofmydick posted:

No Adam Driver is ugly as gently caress and has a really big snoz and should really have plastic surgery to correct it I'm sorry.

He's not hot. Unless you have a nose sex fetish.

Adam Driver just has a really long face that looks even more freakishly long housed inside that wavy longish round bob of a hairdo they gave him. Dude just needs to rock a goatee and a shorter, maybe spiky haircut. He'd look 90s as gently caress but it would work for him.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
So what do you think are the chances on them deciding to reboot the franchise again and making 7-9 not canon in a decade or two?

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Megazver posted:

So what do you think are the chances on them deciding to reboot the franchise again and making 7-9 not canon in a decade or two?

I'm willing to bet they actually cannot remake or decanonize the Lucas films per the deal they made with him (as it's already confirmed they can't re-edit them), and eliminating just their own films would be such a clear admission of failure that I can't see it happening

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Megazver posted:

Maybe J.J. can do a time travel reboot plot.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Wait I thought ANH was entirely a way to get Americans to cheer for the VietKong?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

thrawn527 posted:

I agree that JJ isn't interested in politics, but I'm going to have to push back on how much the OT cared as well. Sure, in ANH you hear about some vague Clone Wars, and you get a comment about how the Senate has been abolished and is no longer needed because they have the Death Star and will use it to rule with fear. Which is an interesting idea and cool bit of world building. But then the Death Star is destroyed and...that never really comes up as an issue in politics. Did he have to bring the Senate back? Does he just rule with fear of all of their Star Destroyers? If he could do that, why didn't he do that before the Death Star? Sure, a 2nd one is built in ROTJ, but no one knows about that for years, so that isn't it. You'd expect the sequel to bring that up at all if it was interested in the politics of the galaxy. But I'll give you ANH.

Then ESB comes along and completely ignores that. Darth Vader is using the Imperial military to obsessively search for Luke, killing his own commanders if they fail him. There's no idea what's happening in the larger political affairs. I guess you get a little bit of it with what's going on in Cloud City, but that is seriously small scale. You know Vader wants to recruit Luke and take over as Emperor, but that's not all that different than Kylo becoming the new Supreme Leader. He wants to rule the thing.

ROTJ similarly doesn't really give a poo poo about politics. He's building a new Death Star, but the lack of both a Death Star AND/OR a Senate for the last 4 years is never addressed. Emperor shows up because he wants Luke to be his new henchman, he dies, and the Galactic Empire...dies? Becomes a Republic again? Some EU stuff and the new movies flesh it out, but ROTJ doesn't care one lick what happens next. They killed the big bad guy, yay!

It isn't until the prequels came along that politics become heavily involved.

The political reality of the galaxy isn't especially important to the plot of the OT, but it is comprehensible. The Empire is a galaxy spanning government, so it makes sense that they have more or less unlimited resources and manpower. The Rebellion is a mishmash of assorted interests that oppose the Empire for whatever reason, so it makes sense (as we see in ESB and RoTJ) that their personnel and fleet are more diverse.

As far as the dissolution of the Senate, that's not really something the Emperor can undo. He's gone ahead and shown his hand and dropped the last pretense of democracy because he finally feels emboldened to do so. When the Death Star is destroyed, that makes him look just a little weaker. Put those two things together, and it might explain how the Rebellion continues to gain strength offscreen throughout the trilogy.

Of course, this is all strung together from a few scattered pieces of dialogue, but you can construct a political narrative that more or less makes sense. I'd challenge anyone to do the same with the sequel trilogy.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Megazver posted:

It would be smarter to honestly just go back into established canon before the Phantom Menace and just do that. Plenty of stuff to turn into movie fodder. Of course they also had plenty of EU material to work with for these, and they just completely ignored that, soooo

...of course Abrams will do a time travel gimmick. Maybe Tatooine gets blown up this time! CHILLS

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

2house2fly posted:

They seem to be part of the segment of the population that had its brain shattered by The Last Jedi; the Plinkett review of the movie has a bit where, completely unprompted by the context of the movie, the guy says something like "watch out Poe, or you'll get arrested for MANSPLAINING!!!!!

Their TLJ content certainly isn't their best work, but the "mansplaining" thing is basically exactly the spin a lot of TLJ's most ardent supporters have used to explain that subplot, so it's not exactly a non-sequitur.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Dec 19, 2019

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Megazver posted:

What's the point? The original cast would just about be gone (or not acting anymore) by then. It sounds like the status quo at the end of these movies is pretty open-ended; I'm not sure what they'd feel the need to retcon.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?

Megazver posted:

Nil, they'll just pivot away from numbered movies

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

2house2fly posted:

but that's funny

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

General Dog posted:

Their TLJ content certainly isn't their best work, but the "mansplaining" thing is basically exactly the spin a lot of TLJ's most ardent supporters have used to explain that subplot.

That plot is stupid and is literally just sloppy writing

Just say you think the Imps have a spy on board and that's why Holdo can't tell Po. It's not that hard. It would explain her acting erratically as well. To throw the mole off

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Dec 19, 2019

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

TulliusCicero posted:

...of course Abrams will do a time travel gimmick.

I'm sad the "leaks" about this didn't turn out to be true this time.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

YaketySass posted:

I'm sad the "leaks" about this didn't turn out to be true this time.

Frankly I kind of miss the horrifying one about Rey being pregnant with Kylo's baby

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Zoran posted:

I'm willing to bet they actually cannot remake or decanonize the Lucas films per the deal they made with him (as it's already confirmed they can't re-edit them), and eliminating just their own films would be such a clear admission of failure that I can't see it happening

Hence 'in a decade or two'. Execs love making GBS threads on their predecessors' legacy.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Zoran posted:

Frankly I kind of miss the horrifying one about Rey being pregnant with Kylo's baby

That's pretty bad but what about the part where she turns out to be Shmi, which means your wish fulfillment character and female rep's destiny is to spend the remaining years of her life enslaved and eventually horrifically tortured to death.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

YaketySass posted:

That's pretty bad but what about the part where she turns out to be Shmi, which means your wish fulfillment character and female rep's destiny is to spend the remaining years of her life enslaved and eventually horrifically tortured to death.

I'm really glad that horrifying idea never came true. The entire concept of that was just a combination of :psypop: and :ohno:

Though again, Rey was far more interesting when she was just some nobody person with the force

Other loving Jedi and Sith existed before the Skywalkers and Palpatine Disney, you loving hacks

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Shaocaholica posted:

Hot take. She’s protecting Lucas from the ST blowback.

If that's what you want to believe, go for it. I ain't stoppin' ya!

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

Adam Driver just has a really long face that looks even more freakishly long housed inside that wavy longish round bob of a hairdo they gave him. Dude just needs to rock a goatee and a shorter, maybe spiky haircut. He'd look 90s as gently caress but it would work for him.

A little bit ugly but with fabulous hair worked for Luke and it works for Kylo too.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
My mind has gone blank. At one point someone (Sheeve?) orders a planet blown up. Because it ain't easy being a cop. Because it sure as hell isn't to terrify the galaxy, that's already been done by the First Order. Where did that ship come from?. All the OTHER planet destroying Star Destroyers are stuck on Planet X. Why is THAT ship able to leave first?

Also, that ship is still flying around...unless the two we see falling down for no reason at Endor and Jakkuu are them? Or did it go BACK to Planet X and be destroyed...um, did the fleet get destroyed? Did it fall down when Sheeve cast lighting bolt- planet but keep falling after he stopped? I can't recall now.

Comstar fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Dec 19, 2019

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

They got Anakin's fabulous hair genes, but somehow didn't get his or Padme's incredibly beautiful face genes. Leia got the face but not the fabulous hair.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Boris Galerkin posted:

go pick up Finn, who is now a general,

I do like that they're continuing the OT's storyline of the Rebels just randomly promoting people to general.

"Han, you've spent the last six months as an ice cube. You're a general!"
"Luke, you went AWOL to hang out with a puppet. You're a general!"

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Oh yeah, minor question on a D-plot from the first two movies- what happens to the Galaxy?

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Furthermore,

When Chewie gets killed and Rey has a crises over it, I gave JJ props for doing that. I respected that and thought it would add a lot.

Then we find out he was in another castle ship. Damm it JJ.

So our hero's go too old city world because there's ONE guy in the galaxy they know who can reset C3P0, ok fine. But why was Kylo's ship THERE at the same time? Or was the city on the same planet at as Party World?

I did laugh and like the joke where Kylo says he doesn't know where Rey is when they fight over a distance, and she knocks over Vadar's helmet and looks embarrassed about it. Kylo walks out to tell the nearest Stormtrooper: I know where she is. She's in my bedroom. I bet the Stormtrooper must have been thinking "She's WHERE?!? Well Done My Lord".

Comstar fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Dec 19, 2019

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

General Dog posted:

Oh yeah, minor question on a D-plot from the first two movies- what happens to the Galaxy?

Why would you ask something so unimportant! Pfft

So what planet does JJ Abrams blow up this time?! :byodood:

Horrible Taste
Oct 12, 2012
Wait if R2 restored C-3PO's memories, does that mean 3PO remembers he's Luke and Leia's brother now? IS C-3PO the true surviving member of the Skywalker family?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

We start getting US impressions around 9pm, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

TulliusCicero posted:

So what planet does JJ Abrams blow up this time?! :byodood:

I can't remember the name of it and that bothers me. There's a scene where Rey gets a gift from a child on it, and you see 30 cute kids laughing at a puppet show. They all die and you see the planet blowing up the point of view of their camp. It's actually rather haunting, more so than Jedhra getting destroyed.

Furthermore, no one mentions it afterwards, so the planet died for no reason. Thanks JJ!