Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

matti posted:

ah see but i'm a moron and use vi

i'll probably just bite the bullet and use the lawyer vetted option just to make it easier for any potential packagers

vi certainly has a way to do the auto insertion, and collapsing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
assuming you mean vim and not actual vi that is

matti
Mar 31, 2019

but then i'd have to deal with vimscript and i would rather avoid that

eh i'll switch to emacs if it becomes an issue

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
someone else did the scripting https://vimawesome.com/plugin/vim-skeleton

matti
Mar 31, 2019

i just assume any vim plugin will eventually break on some weird edge case and i'm stuck with debugging it

...i will try it, thank you

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

matti posted:

get ahead of the game op

matti
Mar 31, 2019

i mean meth exists when push comes to shove, i'll do fine

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof

matti posted:

but then i'd have to deal with vimscript and i would rather avoid that

vim or emacs, the eternal question

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

DaTroof posted:

emacs with vim emulation or vscode with vim emulation, the eternal question

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
dr spacemacs

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

whats a good OAuth provider that can be run inhouse? idk poo poo, is ORY any good?

https://www.ory.sh/run-oauth2-server-open-source-api-security/

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
adfs

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
well, adfs if you're doing openid connect.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

its for external users to connect to our dept projects so we cant put stuff on the company AD

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
If you're looking to have the external users do federated auth then you can use ADFS to setup a trust between ADFS and the external user directory using saml, wsfed, or openid connect. Then you setup your app as a relying party in ADFS. When the user goes to auth in your app you kick them to adfs which kicks them to their own directory. You setup claims rules in ADFS so the claims are consistent when they come to your app.

If you need to maintain the user accounts, then something like azure b2c might be what you want.

if you need to mix external directories and managed accounts then you could have azure b2c handle the managed accounts and federating with the external directory or have azure b2c handle managed accounts and then federate azure b2c and external directories with ADFS.

Is this an in house application?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
I would HIGHLY recommend doing federated auth from the user's own directory if you can since managing external user accounts is the worst.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
whelp, had a guy who couldn’t answer the question:
Provided no overhead, how many megabytes per second can I download on a 1gigabit connection?

That’s it, that’s the whole question. He claimed to be a CCNA. :suicide:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

^^^ lomarf :rip: ^^^

Shaggar posted:

If you're looking to have the external users do federated auth then you can use ADFS to setup a trust between ADFS and the external user directory using saml, wsfed, or openid connect. Then you setup your app as a relying party in ADFS. When the user goes to auth in your app you kick them to adfs which kicks them to their own directory. You setup claims rules in ADFS so the claims are consistent when they come to your app.

If you need to maintain the user accounts, then something like azure b2c might be what you want.

if you need to mix external directories and managed accounts then you could have azure b2c handle the managed accounts and federating with the external directory or have azure b2c handle managed accounts and then federate azure b2c and external directories with ADFS.

Is this an in house application?

yeah, inhouse

we have some web apps that are for regular people (volunteers and such) and some other stuff thats for munis to do some secure PII stuff. idk what, thats not my table. there might be other types of users in there somewhere too.

right now its a hodge podge, so my boss wants to consolidate it & asked me what options we have

Tanners
Dec 13, 2011

woof
Has the VS Code vim plugin improved much in the past year or so? Last time i tried to use it remember i couldn't even use :%s.

Meanwhile, the intellij vim plugin has been pretty fantastic except for the few times you have to go into a dialog and remember the normal keymap

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Krankenstyle posted:

^^^ lomarf :rip: ^^^

yeah, inhouse

we have some web apps that are for regular people (volunteers and such) and some other stuff thats for munis to do some secure PII stuff. idk what, thats not my table. there might be other types of users in there somewhere too.

right now its a hodge podge, so my boss wants to consolidate it & asked me what options we have

volunteers sounds like you need user account management, so maybe give azure ad b2c a look. It handles all kinds of poo poo for you. Otherwise look at similar providers. under no circumstances should you roll your own user management system in 2019.

Whatever account management solution you pick its going to need to be usable to auth into your app(s). if you only have one app then its fine to just setup fed auth directly between the app and both your internal identity provider and whichever account management solution you pick.

If you have multiple apps you want to do this for, then it makes more sense to setup ADFS with a trust to your local ad (done out of the box) and to the non-employee identity provider. Then you just need to configure all of your apps to talk to ADFS instead of each app needing to talk to each identity provider.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Shaggar posted:

volunteers sounds like you need user account management, so maybe give azure ad b2c a look. It handles all kinds of poo poo for you. Otherwise look at similar providers. under no circumstances should you roll your own user management system in 2019.

Whatever account management solution you pick its going to need to be usable to auth into your app(s). if you only have one app then its fine to just setup fed auth directly between the app and both your internal identity provider and whichever account management solution you pick.

If you have multiple apps you want to do this for, then it makes more sense to setup ADFS with a trust to your local ad (done out of the box) and to the non-employee identity provider. Then you just need to configure all of your apps to talk to ADFS instead of each app needing to talk to each identity provider.

alright, thx :)

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

pedant is vehemently opposed to exceptions as control flow. this is an anti-pattern. an affront to god.

Obviously pedant is wrong. The real problem is that exceptions are a terrible idea to start with. :colbert:

dick traceroute
Feb 24, 2010

Open the pod bay doors, Hal.
Grimey Drawer

Tanners posted:

Has the VS Code vim plugin improved much in the past year or so? Last time i tried to use it remember i couldn't even use :%s.

Meanwhile, the intellij vim plugin has been pretty fantastic except for the few times you have to go into a dialog and remember the normal keymap

Well, I can tell you that :%s definitely works now
I have to spin up a real vim if I have a giant file and a macro I want to run for every line, (vscode+vim is MUCH slower for that sort of thing)

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

dick traceroute posted:

(vscode is MUCH slower for that sort of thing)

you could say that for everything this useless javascript abortion does

dick traceroute
Feb 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Eight Megs And Constantly Swapping

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

Shaggar posted:

this is basically how entity framework works and its the loving worst thing ever.

you mean for joined collections on the orm objects? yeah those are bad and I just stopped using them after a while

dick traceroute
Feb 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
The last project which used EF we spent an awful lot of time working around it. Sqlbulkcopy for big uploads
Making interim variables for parts of linq chains to avoid that unfixed bug
Etc
Using dapper in new projects, 'tis good. And supports postgres nicely

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.

dick traceroute posted:

Making interim variables for parts of linq chains to avoid that unfixed bug
This reminds me of when I was still doing C# and we were using NHibernate.Linq. It was crazily impossible to get any kind of query up and running without immediately running into all sorts of edge cases.

I think they rewrote it at some point to use something called relinq to normalize the incoming Linq queries but it feels like Microsoft kind of dropped the ball on that, making Linq providers so extremely complex to get right that basically almost nobody bothered.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

I remember years ago some guy wrote our new purchasing system using some ancient version of entity framework/linq and it was all fine until production when performance completely tanked and it was never fixed

i "EF = bad" was the first of my strong anecdotal opinions on frameworks and it hasn't been wrong yet

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

vs has started trying to load debug symbols for an ancient dll dependency from some dudes my documents folder from 2004, what does the dll contain? gems like "drop_down_list_box_2-petes_use_this_one"

might be time to figure out why this is still in there while I'm doing a Christmas refractor

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

ratbert90 posted:

whelp, had a guy who couldn’t answer the question:
Provided no overhead, how many megabytes per second can I download on a 1gigabit connection?

That’s it, that’s the whole question. He claimed to be a CCNA. :suicide:
is it 128 :ohdear:

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

that’s what the vendors want you to think

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon
code:
[drpossum@foodcan ~]$ units
You have: 1 Gbit/s
You want: MB/s
:thunk:

edit

code:
You have: 1 Gibit/s
You want: Mibyte/s
I don't know how to pronounce these to differentiate them

DrPossum fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Dec 21, 2019

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

imo you should pronounce the gibby ones like theyre spelled in order to discourage everyone from using them

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

pretty sure wikipedia has a guide, iirc its megabyte vs mibibyte, but it doesn't matter because no one cares or says them except sometimes science papers.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

i think apple changed their os so it reports 1 "GB" disk space as 9.x "MB" recently, whatever the nomenclature is? probably more honest when you get into the TB drives that dont actually contain n*1024^3 bytes or whatever

no idea when they did that though... feels like at least 2-3+ years ago? i just :f5: the download button on all the linux isos i can find

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
the correct solution would of course have been to fix the si system so that 1kg = 1024g, etc. idk why they had to complicate things instead

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
it’s 1000/8.

125 Megabytes/s

It’s not even a gotcha question. if you claim to be a network engineer you should be able to know bit vs byte.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

ratbert90 posted:

it’s 1000/8.

125 Megabytes/s

It’s not even a gotcha question. if you claim to be a network engineer you should be able to know bit vs byte.

would you accept 128 MBps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
Nerd sniped, to a man