Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

qbert posted:

That could be true. Aren't they the other kids he ran away with from Luke's school? I just assumed they all joined his gang and were like his minions or something.

Sorry, it’s official canon now that Ben didn’t attack anyone after Luke tried to murder him. Snoke or someone else blew up the temple, and then Ben tried to rescue his fellow students. He told a few of the survivors what Luke had done and they didn’t believe him, so they tried to kill him too and then he fled to Snoke

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

tie fighter pilots had space suits

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Adam Driver will be fine. He’s literally been in
movies by Scorsese, the Coen Brothers, Spielberg, Spike Lee, Soderbergh, etc.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Honestly, you’re right. One thing that has forever bothered me about Star Wars is the complete lack of spacesuits or acknowledging that you’re flying through loving space. The ships never lose pressure, there’s never a worry of having to be out in space for repairs or anything. And even on the one instance of this happening, Leia just flies back lmao.

I’m pretty sure Finn was wearing one of those respirators from empire when they got Rey off the star destroyer with the falcon.

This actually makes things far more confusing.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Blast Fantasto posted:

Adam Driver will be fine. He’s literally been in
movies by Scorsese, the Coen Brothers, Spielberg, Spike Lee, Soderbergh, etc.

Yes the real concern is Daisy Ridley because she did everything possible to work with what she was given.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Zoran posted:

Sorry, it’s official canon now that Ben didn’t attack anyone after Luke tried to murder him. Snoke or someone else blew up the temple, and then Ben tried to rescue his fellow students. He told a few of the survivors what Luke had done and they didn’t believe him, so they tried to kill him too and then he fled to Snoke

So what happened to all of the other students?

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Honestly, you’re right. One thing that has forever bothered me about Star Wars is the complete lack of spacesuits or acknowledging that you’re flying through loving space. The ships never lose pressure, there’s never a worry of having to be out in space for repairs or anything. And even on the one instance of this happening, Leia just flies back lmao.

Funny thing is that Vader and the stormtrooper's armor started off as concept art for spacesuits to be used in the original movie, but Lucas liked the designs so much that they became their standard costumes.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Hazo posted:

Couple things now that I’ve almost woken up:

- I stand by my initial reaction that this was by no means a great movie, but they did the best they could after having written themselves into a corner and I was happy with it.

- A huge problem was the abundance of nothing characters. Maz, Rose, Jarrah, and unfortunately even :regd10: did absolutely nothing to advance the plot (I guess maybe Jarrah gave them parts to fix the Falcon but they could have just written it so the Falcon didn’t crash, and DO knew about Rey’s parents getting stabbed but Rey figured that out herself). I get that a lot of it was just because they had to have Rose and Maz in it but didn’t have anything to do, so they just gave them unimportant lines, but ugh.

- Leia was handled perfectly. I was hyper aware that we were seeing old unused footage and I kept expecting it to take me out of the moment, but it didn’t happen. Props to the editing team.

- Got really loving tired of Kylo death fakeouts by like the third or fourth one. Jesus Christ JJ.

- What happened to all that bullshit about “John Williams used every Star Wars theme ever in this movie”? Literally nothing from the prequels was in it.

- One of the hugest things in TLJ (among many) that bothered the piss out of me was the textbook Checkov’s gun of showing us Luke’s X-Wing in the water and then never using it. I was so relieved to see him lift it out.

Going back and reading the spoilers from October it does sound like a profoundly stupid mess, but overall I thought it tied things together in an inevitably mediocre but satisfying fashion.

Maz really had no reason to be in the second or third movie. I guess because she was in the first? But we don't need to check back in with every minor character!

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Hazo posted:

- Leia was handled perfectly. I was hyper aware that we were seeing old unused footage and I kept expecting it to take me out of the moment, but it didn’t happen. Props to the editing team.

I felt the opposite. They were in a tough spot and I guess did what they had to, but her character felt very much out of the moment in every scene. She's just there kinda staring at people and responding to them with lines that barely apply to what they said. I felt nothing during her death scene. She wanders off silently as other characters narrate that she's going to use the rest of her powers to reach out to her son. Okay?

No one would have minded if she died between movies and it was told in the opening crawl, given the circumstances.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

hobbesmaster posted:

I’m pretty sure Finn was wearing one of those respirators from empire when they got Rey off the star destroyer with the falcon.

This actually makes things far more confusing.

On that rescue I believe the Star Destroyer was within the atmosphere and not in space so maybe there was little oxygen but still no need for a proper suit which is why Rey was able to jump off the hangar without issue.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

hobbesmaster posted:

Yes the real concern is Daisy Ridley because she did everything possible to work with what she was given.

I think she'll be fine too. Both she and Driver carried this movie. She's not quite as good as he is, but still is pretty good with natural charisma.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
Oh has it been mentioned how hilarious it is that Palpatine goads Rey into killing him so she's turned to the dark side of the force (and he can take her over or whatever? who knows) and she refuses, but then seconds later massacres dozens of nameless mooks?

Feels like....feels like that should be bad too. But I guess that doesn't matter.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Hobo Clown posted:

I felt the opposite. They were in a tough spot and I guess did what they had to, but her character felt very much out of the moment in every scene. She's just there kinda staring at people and responding to them with lines that barely apply to what they said. I felt nothing during her death scene. She wanders off silently as other characters narrate that she's going to use the rest of her powers to reach out to her son. Okay?

No one would have minded if she died between movies and it was told in the opening crawl, given the circumstances.

Yeah, hard agree here.

I would have even been fine with an opening shot of her dying somehow, but instead it felt like what we got was a better CGI version of Olivia Soprano's final scene. It was unnecessary and I don't buy for a minute the "TLJ wrote them into a corner!" argument on this one.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

thrawn527 posted:

So what happened to all of the other students?

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Maz really had no reason to be in the second or third movie. I guess because she was in the first? But we don't need to check back in with every minor character!

A good question, for another time.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Zoran posted:

What the poo poo...?

Mike N Eich posted:

Oh has it been mentioned how hilarious it is that Palpatine goads Rey into killing him so she's turned to the dark side of the force (and he can take her over or whatever? who knows) and she refuses, but then seconds later massacres dozens of nameless mooks?

Feels like....feels like that should be bad too. But I guess that doesn't matter.

I mean, it's hilarious that her refusing to kill him made her good, but then 5 MINUTES LATER she killed him...but in a good way?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

On that rescue I believe the Star Destroyer was within the atmosphere and not in space so maybe there was little oxygen but still no need for a proper suit which is why Rey was able to jump off the hangar without issue.

Rey wouldn’t have had issues with hard vacuum because she’s a force user. Even if Leia hadn’t done her thing in TLJ it’s an EU force power at least.

I completely forgot they were in the upper atmosphere though so it’s kinda irrelevant.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Mike N Eich posted:

I guess there's like specifically some magic spell that if you kill a sith using a lightsaber they infect you with the Sigma virus

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Mike N Eich posted:

He was doing it in some ritual way but uh, yeah.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

I feel like Daisy Ridley will have a similar career to Kiera Knightly. Nothing remarkable, she'll pop up here and there in quite British roles, period dramas etc and the odd blockbuster but no one will consider her an amazing actress.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Leia dies and then double dies and vanishes like a day later when her son dies for...reasons?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Leia wasn’t in the vacuum for that long and *waves hands* was still partially surrounded by the lingering atmosphere from the ship which was still constrained by the ships shields

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Should have fallen into a coma and then die/disappear rather than double die.

Don’t even try to go for a triple death.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Leia dies and then double dies and vanishes like a day later when her son dies for...reasons?

The doctor hosed up and she wasn't actually dead under that sheet. She spent 24 hours slowly dying while others walked past.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

So how did palpatine not die in RotJ? Was that soul explosion just a coincidence?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Once you learn to become a Jedi ghost you should just die and become the most efficient comm/scout/spy for the Jedi. Just spooky it up and haunt enemies while bringing back intel.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

kidkissinger posted:

So how did palpatine not die in RotJ? Was that soul explosion just a coincidence?

He literally just gives the dark side unnatural line.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

But this time they exploded him it's for total realises.

They should have pulled a Dr.Manhattan and been like "Why did you think that would work I obviously learned to unexplode myself years ago".

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Carrie Fisher should’ve never been in any of these Disney sequels imo.

Also I don’t know what Daisy Ridley does after this. I hope Boyega finds work

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

The one retcon thing that I found hilarious and legitimately awesome was Palpatine having a vat full of Snokes brewing in his double secret lair

Oh dont mind me, just genetically modifying my Snoke this evening

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

kidkissinger posted:

Seriously, how are people who go on and on about hating the "plot hole" of Holdo withholding info from Poe in TLJ gonna reconcile the massive plot vortexes of this film?

Palpatine alive? A million Super Death Stars?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Luke's xwing isn't a loving chekovs gun Jesus loving Christ

Ban all discussion of last Jedi forever, god damnit just bury it for good

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Ridley has been cast in 7 non Star Wars movies since TFA

I think she’s fine

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Once you learn to become a Jedi ghost you should just die and become the most efficient comm/scout/spy for the Jedi. Just spooky it up and haunt enemies while bringing back intel.

"Hey Obi-Wan, do you mind doing some recon for us on that second Death Star? Maybe listen in on some meetings with the Emperor, make sure this isn't, I don't know, a...trap, or something?"
"Sorry, I've got an afterlife poker game with Yoda and Qui-Gon, and I'm gonna clean those fuckers out of their, uh...ghost chips."
"...dick."

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Handsome Ralph posted:

Yeah, hard agree here.

I would have even been fine with an opening shot of her dying somehow, but instead it felt like what we got was a better CGI version of Olivia Soprano's final scene. It was unnecessary and I don't buy for a minute the "TLJ wrote them into a corner!" argument on this one.

The only corner they were written into in regards to Leia was not killing her off in TLJ. She should have had Holdo's role. Seasoned General and OT favorite up against new brash ST favorite and Han Solo analogue, ultimately sacrificing herself in a huge way to save the Rebellion she's always fought for.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Here's the definitive trilogy episode assessment:

The Force Awakens did a dreadful job laying the foundations for the new trilogy- the framework of the titular "star war" that it lays down is nonsensical, and the mysteries that it sets up (who is Rey? who is Snoke?) are guaranteed to have predictable or anticlimactic answers. Kylo Ren, a character who is meant to have a lot of pathos, isn't shown to have any agenda beyond "level up".

The Last Jedi correctly identifies the identities Snoke as a lame villain and dispatches with him accordingly; however Kylo is confirmed to be so vulnerable and pathetic that the movie leaves basically no credible villains on the table by the end. Rey is revealed not to be of notable parentage, which is a more interesting answer than her being related to someone we met before, but it does raise the question of why we needed to make a mystery of it to begin with. Lip service is paid towards ideas that the narrative of Star Wars and the Jedi and the Sith is circular and destructive (a radical, fresh idea if you've never seen the little-known prequel films released 1999-2005), but ultimately our heroes either give up and accept that things can never really change as long as "Wars" is in the title (Luke/Kylo), or never really grasp the premise (Rey and everyone else).

Left with a villian deficit, The Rise of Skywalker is left with the choice of either doing the legwork to finally let Kylo squash his doubts and become the formidable opponent he's always wanted to be, or introduce a new villian at the 11th hour, freeing Kylo to rehash the redemption arc everyone has expected from day 1. Obviously it picks the latter, except it brings back the Oldest Villain. It also chooses to reopen the issue of Rey's parentage, because seemingly the only thing Rey will ever be allowed to be is someone who isn't sure who she is or what she should do. Also, it turns out that the First Order, which is inexplicably unchallenged in the first two movies, was actually a paper tiger all along! All it took to bring them down was 20 good men and believe in yourself.

Some will blame this movie on The Last Jedi writing it into a corner, some will blame it on the fans for rejecting Last Jedi and causing an over-correction. The truth is that neither of these things caused this movie to be paced to poorly, or to be so morbid in its treatment of Leia, or to suffer from Force Power creep that ends in a truly anime-esque confrontation between Rey and Palpatine, or for Maz to give Chewie a medal that Leia had laying around (??).

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Oh no

Oh no . Wikipedia ...

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

qbert posted:

Seriously, how are people who go on and on about hating the "plot hole" of Holdo withholding info from Poe in TLJ gonna reconcile the massive plot vortexes of this film?

Palpatine alive? A million Super Death Stars?

The movie makes way more sense if you just realize it’s an old EU novel/comic.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Carrie Fisher should’ve never been in any of these Disney sequels imo.

Also I don’t know what Daisy Ridley does after this. I hope Boyega finds work

They'll all be fine, but Ridley in particular is from a rich and very pedigreed family so even if not she'll still be very comfortable.

Boyega needs to pick some better projects but Hollywood people seem very enamored of him so I think he'll find some success outside of Star Wars.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

General Dog posted:

Here's the definitive trilogy episode assessment:

The Force Awakens did a dreadful job laying the foundations for the new trilogy- the framework of the titular "star war" that it lays down is nonsensical, and the mysteries that it sets up (who is Rey? who is Snoke?) are guaranteed to have predictable or anticlimactic answers. Kylo Ren, a character who is meant to have a lot of pathos, isn't shown to have any agenda beyond "level up".

The Last Jedi correctly identifies the identities Snoke as a lame villain and dispatches with him accordingly; however Kylo is confirmed to be so vulnerable and pathetic that the movie leaves basically no credible villains on the table by the end. Rey is revealed not to be of notable parentage, which is a more interesting answer than her being related to someone we met before, but it does raise the question of why we needed to make a mystery of it to begin with. Lip service is paid towards ideas that the narrative of Star Wars and the Jedi and the Sith is circular and destructive (a radical, fresh idea if you've never seen the little-known prequel films released 1999-2005), but ultimately our heroes either give up and accept that things can never really change as long as "Wars" is in the title (Luke/Kylo), or never really grasp the premise (Rey and everyone else).

Left with a villian deficit, The Rise of Skywalker is left with the choice of either doing the legwork to finally let Kylo squash his doubts and become the formidable opponent he's always wanted to be, or introduce a new villian at the 11th hour, freeing Kylo to rehash the redemption arc everyone has expected from day 1. Obviously it picks the latter, except it brings back the Oldest Villain. It also chooses to reopen the issue of Rey's parentage, because seemingly the only thing Rey will ever be allowed to be is someone who isn't sure who she is or what she should do.

Some will blame this movie on The Last Jedi writing it into a corner, some will blame it on the fans for rejecting Last Jedi and causing an over-correction. The truth is that neither of these things caused this movie to be paced to poorly, or to be so morbid in its treatment of Leia, or to suffer from Force Power creep that ends in a truly anime-esque confrontation between Rey and Palpatine, or for Maz to give Chewie a medal that Leia had laying around (??).

Ren being unhinged and insecure doesn't make him less of a dangerous villain. There's interesting narrative space to play around with a villain like Ren who is given nearly unlimited power but is also unhappy and underconfident. It's maybe not a Star Wars thing they're comfortable playing around with though so they just gave him a new master.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Oh right. Everyone skips over what we learned Snoke did and how he corrupted Kylo. He was the Gardner at the Jedi temple who Luke scarred for "dome reason." And... That's it.