Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Fell asleep on the bus yesterday while reading Borges. It was the translator's foreword that got me but mostly just being tired.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Jerry Cotton posted:

Fell asleep on the bus yesterday while reading Borges. It was the translator's foreword that got me but mostly just being tired.

How many winding roads did the bus take?

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

I guess this is a good opportunity to tell my favorite Borges tale. Last year I met an Englishman whose diplomat grandfather was a good friend of Borges’. We met at a business dinner and he was about to tell the story of how his grandfather built a labyrinth for Borges. I was super stoked to hear the story and already internally planning to extensively question him about any information about Borges that might have been passed down to him. Alas, I’d already had a couple of glasses of wine and my brain decided to blurt out “Well, isn’t that a-MAZE-ing!” in a very sarcastic voice. The man just changed subject to business and Borges was never mentioned again.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

I guess this is a good opportunity to tell my favorite Borges tale. Last year I met an Englishman whose diplomat grandfather was a good friend of Borges’. We met at a business dinner and he was about to tell the story of how his grandfather built a labyrinth for Borges. I was super stoked to hear the story and already internally planning to extensively question him about any information about Borges that might have been passed down to him. Alas, I’d already had a couple of glasses of wine and my brain decided to blurt out “Well, isn’t that a-MAZE-ing!” in a very sarcastic voice. The man just changed subject to business and Borges was never mentioned again.

I think Borges would have liked that story. I did, anyway

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Dec 13, 2019

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Krankenstyle posted:

How many winding roads did the bus take?

None, but all the forking paths.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I tried reading some of Stevenson's poems in bed last night (Underwoods) and struggled quite a bit. Now I know I'm dumb as hell but just to check I read some other Anglophone poetry from the same time period (thanks, Albatross Book of Living Verse I bought from the book fair twenty years ago) and most of it parsed fine to me without getting stuck. What the heck is up with that?

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Caught between two worlds...
does anyone have the botl west side story quote on hand

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

quote:

only on somethingawful can one of the most infamous posters be a disgruntled finnish librarian with a coterie of middle-aged english and linguistics professors, all of whom menacingly invade comic book and fantasy threads snapping their fingers like bearded extras from the west side story

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Cashier at the liquor store last night excitedly told me to read A Confederacy of Dunces (of which she mentioned lending multiple copies to friends); when I said that I already had, she excitedly told me to read Worm and then Ward. She gave me a very strong handshake before I left. Would like some advice on asking her out.

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Dec 17, 2019

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Cashier at the liquor store last night excitedly told me to read A Confederacy of Dunces (of which she mentioned lending multiple copies to friends); when I said that I already had, she excitedly told me to read Worm and then Ward. She gave me a very strong handshake before I left. Would like some advice on asking her out.

Print out a makeshift Christmas card from a picture of Ignatius Reilly with some lame rear end Confederacy of Dunces joke and your phone number.

There's no real polite/not-weird way to ask someone out while they're at their customer service job, but she sounds weird enough where something like that would work?

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
(I am not actually interested in asking her out.)

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Sham bam bamina! posted:

(I am not actually interested in asking her out.)

nope, you can't un-light this particular goonsignal, you must accept the consequences

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
New Challenge Thread: successfully ask out liquor person or eat a whole hotdog cart’s supplies within 6 hours.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Franchescanado posted:

New Challenge Thread: successfully ask out liquor person or eat a whole hotdog cart’s supplies within 6 hours.

But you must ask her out using only quotations from Gravity's Rainbow

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

MockingQuantum posted:

But you must ask her out using only quotations from Gravity's Rainbow

There is no graceful way out of this now. Darlene has brought a couple-three more candy jars down off of the shelf, and now he goes plunging, like a journey to the center of some small, hostile planet, into an enormous bonbon chomp through the mantle of chocolate to a strongly eucalyptus-flavored fondant, finally into a core of some very tough grape gum arabic. He fingernails a piece of this out from between his teeth and stares at it for a while. It is purple in color.

ps be mine

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

:swoon:

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

lmao

Sharpest Crayon posted:

the beautiful Finnish language has a word for the kind of person who needs to have the tiniest, most insignificant detail perfect and will halt a month's production from going forward because of said detail.

The word is comma-fucker.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Also if something is not pertinent to the matter at hand, it "has no sexual signifigance". (Nowhere near as common in use as "comma-fucker" but always nice to hear in a serious work-meeting.)

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Bilirubin posted:

There is no graceful way out of this now. Darlene has brought a couple-three more candy jars down off of the shelf, and now he goes plunging, like a journey to the center of some small, hostile planet, into an enormous bonbon chomp through the mantle of chocolate to a strongly eucalyptus-flavored fondant, finally into a core of some very tough grape gum arabic. He fingernails a piece of this out from between his teeth and stares at it for a while. It is purple in color.

ps be mine

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
https://twitter.com/TheLincoln/status/1208043191875915777

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Much like a whole lot of things from the past decade, this makes me feel both deeply disappointed and completely unsurprised

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
I noticed that my local library has a extremely valuable book ($800-$1000 on Amazon) in general circulation. Should I tell them, and if so, how? It's an annotated edition of a classic work by a very well known 20th century author, but there has only been one edition and apparently not many were printed. I enjoyed it and want others to enjoy it, but can't stand the thought of some thief doing a quick Amazon search and taking the money, or having someone negligently damage it.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Konstantin posted:

I noticed that my local library has a extremely valuable book ($800-$1000 on Amazon) in general circulation. Should I tell them, and if so, how? It's an annotated edition of a classic work by a very well known 20th century author, but there has only been one edition and apparently not many were printed. I enjoyed it and want others to enjoy it, but can't stand the thought of some thief doing a quick Amazon search and taking the money, or having someone negligently damage it.

They would probably appreciate a heads up so they can put it in a non-circulating reference area and replace it with a more common edition for the general stacks. I would mention it to someone at the reference desk and they can direct your inquiry from there. Worst that can happen is they say "thanks but we don't care".

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Too bad a calendar wasn't on this list.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Ornamented Death posted:

Too bad a calendar wasn't on this list.
It was really funny when the Hunger Games movies came out and nobody was allowed to buy the books because they were released in the previous decade and ineligible for purchase.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Sham bam bamina! posted:

It was really funny when the Hunger Games movies came out and nobody was allowed to buy the books because they were released in the previous decade and ineligible for purchase.

I'll take this L. I misinterpreted the point of the list and now look like an idiot :v:.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

good job lincoln michael youll be the twitter superstar of 2014

twitter and bisted
Aug 26, 2012

I'm a crow and nothing human is avian to me
I'm thinking of getting into Cormac McCarthy. I was told The Crossing is good but it's the second part of a trilogy. Does one need to have read All the Pretty Horses first?

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

twitter and bisted posted:

I'm thinking of getting into Cormac McCarthy. I was told The Crossing is good but it's the second part of a trilogy. Does one need to have read All the Pretty Horses first?

You should probably just read it too because it is supposed to be good

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

twitter and bisted posted:

The first two books are independent. The characters come together in Cities of the Plain.

twitter and bisted
Aug 26, 2012

I'm a crow and nothing human is avian to me
Ok, thanks.

Bilirubin posted:

You should probably just read it too because it is supposed to be good
I'll get it if I like The Crossing! (Which is the only one at my local library.)

twitter and bisted fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Dec 22, 2019

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

you know, once upon a time i was content to look critically at my own writing and occasionally think "oh that was inspired by asoiaf". now i think of these inclusions as places where grrm has infested my thoughts and must be scrubbed out, as you would a creeping wet rot of the soul

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Goondolences.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I shoulda read Borges when I were still a lad and remembered my Russell :(

(Or! I should re-read Russell!)

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

hahaha

https://www.washingtonpost.com/ente...91a9_story.html

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

about as accurate as goodreads' algorithms

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Jemisin, the Hugo Award-winning fantasy author, blends speculative and literary fiction in this, the first of a new series. Five New Yorkers must come together to save their city, which has literally come to life, in a story that’ll give you “Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse” vibes.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Jemisin, the Hugo Award-winning fantasy author, blends speculative and literary fiction in this, the first of a new series. Five New Yorkers must come together to save their city, which has literally come to life, in a story that’ll give you “Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse” vibes.

Its an expansion of that short story from When is Black Future Month isn't it?

Too bad, it was a nice self contained story as is

Karenina
Jul 10, 2013

Just finished The Hidden War: A Russian Journalist's Account of the Soviet War in Afghanistan by Artyom Borovik. Now I'm moving on to Small Fires: Letters from the Soviet People to Ogonyok Magazine, 1987-1990. Maybe because I subconsciously want to feel more and more bummed out, but also because the notion of a book consisting solely of letters to the editor from everyday people at the tail end of the USSR's existence really appeals to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Are there any rules on doing Let's Reads? I couldn't seem to find any.