Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

General Dog posted:

The bad guys want Baby Yoda so he can Force Heal the charred corpse of Palpatine.

Considering the last episode comes out post-Skywalker this is an insanely good guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Tenzarin posted:

You bring up a good point!

Even dead jedi, Dead for several movies loves Rey! Samual L Jackson Loves REY!

lol I dont think the main character needing assistance from others to beat the big bad counts towards the definition of a Mary Sue. I mean there are other reasons she can fall into that category but that isn't one.

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

"Bitcoin is a new financial concept entirely without precedent."

Just Chamber posted:

I mean she didnt? Her and Ben get loving wrecked and she literally is nearly dying and it takes the power of like 10 dead Jedi's to get her back on her feet. They basically collectively took out Palpatine.

This did not happen in my showing of the film.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

Rey can still be tempted by power for good causes even if Palpatine isn't there.

The desperation of being completely and totally outmatched and the search for more power to overcome the lack of balance could corrupt her easily. You don't need space wizard opera for an arc for her.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

ruddiger posted:

Now you know how CineD posters felt when TFA and TLJ were released.

Watch some Mallick, Scorsese, or some Snyder to cleanse yourself from these toxic franchises.

Heh

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Rey is not a Mary Sue because only assholes call things Mary Sue if youtube is any indication.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
You know, it's also against C3P0's programming to impersonate a deity but he was willing to do that for Luke and co. That he literally allowed the ST protagonists to kill him rather than translate an inscription for him really underlies how much he must have hated their guts. "Taking one last look... at my friends..." was absolutely withering sarcasm.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I sense a story here

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

Beeez posted:

What would Rey's arc have been if Palpatine wasn't involved at all? People say it'd be better, but there'd be no conflict at all for her without him, apparently people just wanted the ending to be about her killing Kylo because they've decided he represents everything they hate. But a story that's just about an irredeemable jerk being destroyed by a flawless hero doesn't seem interesting at all.

But that would describe her perfectly regardless, the ship had already sailed on her being naturally better than everybody else prior to any version of her origin being elaborated on in any sense. Again, she wasn't just kind of powerful, she was super powerful and had Anakin's lightsaber becoming sentient just to try to convince her to use the Force, and Obi-Wan's voice echoing in her head.

Just have it be Palpatine's influence without literally resurrecting him to shoot beams of lightning at the sky.

Rey is the product of a Palapatine science experiment. Kylo is being influenced by his Sith force ghost. They both battle their emotions and following the rigid codes laid down by Sith and Jedi and ultimately, fail.

She kills him in a fit of rage a Jedi should not have, then heals him. Make his loss and resurrection more explicitly about his mother's forgiveness, he comes back as Ben.

They both realize their previous path was unfollowable nonsense and found an order based of new humanist force users called Skywalkers.

That's my fanfic, I hope you all enjoyed it.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Pollyanna posted:

Rey is not a Mary Sue because only assholes call things Mary Sue if youtube is any indication.

I believe you are making a hasty generalization there, pal. Also I'm glad you agree Rey is a mary sue.

Prince Myshkin
Jun 17, 2018
Incredible that every last detail of TLJ is thrown into the bin. Luke even says "I was wrong" to exile himself and apparently it was not time for the Jedi to end, the Jedi just needed a better messiah figure.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
There was a surprising amount of overt Lord of the Rings reference in here, between Threepio uttering the black speech of Mordor and Lando leading the charge to save the day as the sun comes up like Gandalf at Helm's Deep.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Rey can still be tempted by power for good causes even if Palpatine isn't there.

But didn't TLJ already demonstrate that she could overcome Kylo's temptations? That's all I mean. People talk about how different the conflict TLJ set up would be for a third movie, but it sounds like there'd be nothing thematically interesting or interesting from a character standpoint. The whole thrust of the movie would just be figuring out how to Rey in position to assassinate Kylo in such a way that the rest of the bad guys would just give up or something. I'm saying it less as a defense of RoS, and more to say that the entire trilogy had structural problems that would make it a struggle to feel like it validates it's own existence or adds to the "Skywalker Saga" in any meaningful way.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

Skrill.exe posted:

This did not happen in my showing of the film.

Palpatine has the power of all the previous Sith inside of him as he keeps repeating over and over and destroys Rey and Kylo. Rey is then dying and the previous Jedi all lend her their strength and that is what allows her to defeat Palpatine, it's fairly clear that's what happens and it's why after she kills Palpatine she dies, because their strength leaves her and she would have died without it. They could have literally had a bunch of force ghosts behind Rey rushing like Aragorn and his ghost army to make this more clear for people I guess, but i would have vomited.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Rey is so powerful of a character the main villian has to use Rey to make himself stronger.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

Prince Myshkin posted:

Incredible that every last detail of TLJ is thrown into the bin. Luke even says "I was wrong" to exile himself and apparently it was not time for the Jedi to end, the Jedi just needed a better messiah figure.

There's a lot of TLJ thrown out in this film but Luke admits he was wrong at the end of TLJ to Yoda also

And yea that
v

Beeez
May 28, 2012

Prince Myshkin posted:

That happened in the ending of TLJ. It literally ends with him saying he won't be the last one and killing himself to make sure the new one escapes.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I don't mind Rey being powerful and adept from the get-go, but it is a problem that there was never once that she really had to eat poo poo. Never really took an L in battle, never had a plan go wrong and get dropped into a rancor pit, never had to hide in a trash compactor. She misjudged Kylo in TLJ, but even that mistake resulted in the death of the Supreme Leader, and she was ultimately vindicated about Kylo being redeemable too.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Dec 20, 2019

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Beeez posted:

What would Rey's arc have been if Palpatine wasn't involved at all?

What the... Are you seriously suggesting that bringing back palpatine is only way you could see this trilogy concluding? Even though palpatine isn't mentioned in the first two films and Ian Mcdiarmid wasn't hired until four days ago?

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?

Prince Myshkin posted:

JJ made literally no attempt to pick up the threads from it. It's awful.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Beeez posted:

But didn't TLJ already demonstrate that she could overcome Kylo's temptations? That's all I mean. People talk about how different the conflict TLJ set up would be for a third movie, but it sounds like there'd be nothing thematically interesting or interesting from a character standpoint. The whole thrust of the movie would just be figuring out how to Rey in position to assassinate Kylo in such a way that the rest of the bad guys would just give up or something. I'm saying it less as a defense of RoS, and more to say that the entire trilogy had structural problems that would make it a struggle to feel like it validates it's own existence or adds to the "Skywalker Saga" in any meaningful way.

Kylo doesn't have to tempt her. Luke was testing the bad side by taking weapons in places he shouldn't and stuff. Attempting to amass too much power corrupts in real life, and it's easy to do that in fantasy with fantastic power.

As LOTR was mentioned earlier, you could use a One Ring analogy where attempting to use that power for good would still inevitably corrupt. It's just a little different in that there are wrong ways to go about gaining or using power, even in desperation as opposed to using a cursed object.

Although you can introduce cursed objects in Star Wars too!

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

And that's one of the worst things about TLJ and one that people forget, Rian teased some good ideas then threw them out HIMSELF in the final act.

Rey and Kylo teaming up? Nah.

The Sith and the Jedi being left in the past and Rey becoming something in the middle? Nope.

Luke believing the Jedi should end? He changed his mind.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Also can we talk about Rey being the first force using jedi with the abilities to revert time itself to heal people back from death?

Beeez
May 28, 2012
No, I'm saying people say that TLJ set up an interesting 3rd film but I don't see how. There'd be no emotional conflict to any of it if Kylo was just a monster for Rey to slay. The first two movies were completely uninterested in delving into the possibility that she could be tempted away from good.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
That was a secret of the darth plaguegus! Rey did it without even knowing about it!

Anakin didn't even get that far!

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Just Chamber posted:

And that's one of the worst things about TLJ and one that people forget, Rian teased some good ideas then threw them out HIMSELF in the final act.

Rey and Kylo teaming up? Nah.

The Sith and the Jedi being left in the past and Rey becoming something in the middle? Nope.

Luke believing the Jedi should end? He changed his mind.

Yeah, as much praise as the "let the past die" line gets, it really only ends up being relevant on a meta-textual level. In the universe of the movie, the line is put in the mouth of the bad guy and all of the good guys end up rejecting it. Like, what evidence is there at the end of Last Jedi that Rey/Leia/anyone is embracing that as an ethos? What would that even look like?

General Dog fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Dec 20, 2019

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Disney wants us to let star wars die.

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

Tenzarin posted:

Also can we talk about Rey being the first force using jedi with the abilities to revert time itself to heal people back from death?

Watch the Mandalorian. It’s better Star Wars if you grew up with the OT.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Baby yoda is an abomination, in my opinion.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Beeez posted:

No, I'm saying people say that TLJ set up an interesting 3rd film but I don't see how. There'd be no emotional conflict to any of it if Kylo was just a monster for Rey to slay. The first two movies were completely uninterested in delving into the possibility that she could be tempted away from good.

Kylo doesn't have to be a monster for Rey to slay in the 3rd film. You're still constraining it to a 1st trilogy structure.

The first movie in the series, even, only had a big fleet scene because there was a superweapon. Outside of that, it was just a small group on the Falcon trying to get somewhere and happening to whoops run into Vader on the way.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

Tenzarin posted:

Mods???

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
How did palpatine make all those star destroyers? Who funded him? Was it like emperor secret loyalist? Then why didn't he just run the first movie group too? They had a death PLANET!

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Tenzarin posted:

Baby Yoda did it first.

Tenzarin posted:

Your opinion is now invalid.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Tenzarin posted:

How did palpatine make all those star destroyers? Who funded him?

I would guess it was some dark project he started as a contingency during the Empire but who the gently caress knows.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
So those are cloned star destroyers?

Beeez
May 28, 2012
But that isn't what TLJ set up. TLJ ended on the notion that good guys from the first trilogy were being "reborn" and they'd continue to fight to free the galaxy. Kylo is the ruler of the galaxy.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
There really didn't need to be an emperor figure in this movie. Killing Snoke was the one of the best choices in TLJ but this movie undoes that by bringing back secret Palpatine out of nowhere.

People complain about TLJ subverting expectations or whatever but if you watch it right after Force Awakens it flows amazingly well and you can tell Rian respected the film more. JJ hits hard retcon

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

why no cool darth vader force ghost for the finale and also why did j.j just have them be regular star destroyers and not super star destroyers

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Tenzarin posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

teagone posted:

Baby Yoda did it first.

Your opinion is now invalid.

Yep. Beat her to it by a day and a half.