Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Mulva posted:

I like how TFA makes the original characters failures, but TLJ at least attempts to give context to their failures, and then in walking back so much of what happens in TLJ and trying to repeat the original trilogy JJ just doubles down on making the original crew pathetic failures that accomplished nothing and have no legacy. The future is hopeless because the evil bad guy can always come back from death and the people that oppose him are fallible and mortal.

A true modern mirror.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Tenzarin posted:

I would like to talk about how this movie clearly show Rey grow as a character and also as proof that Rey is not a Mary Sue.

God, shut up

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Man, it’s kinda hosed up how Leia kills herself purely to kill her son. She’s like, ah, I’ve had a clairvoyant flash that Kylo is engaged in a life or death duel. This is the perfect time to spend all my HP in order to telepathically distract him and thereby break his guard.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Tenzarin posted:

I would like to talk about how this movie clearly show Rey grow as a character and also as proof that Rey is not a Mary Sue.

Your posting is worse than TROS because the overwhelming majority of people involved in the production of it had no say in how it turned out but you....you chose to be this way.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

This thread got me to rewatch obi wan darth maul fight. That sequence of them fighting right after Qui Gon is killed. Still dope as hell with them just wailing on each other.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Ferrinus posted:

Man, it’s kinda hosed up how Leia kills herself purely to kill her son. She’s like, ah, I’ve had a clairvoyant flash that Kylo is engaged in a life or death duel. This is the perfect time to spend all my HP in order to telepathically distract him and thereby break his guard.

It's a metaphor for Carrie Fisher killing herself to save us from this movie

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Raccooon posted:

This thread got me to rewatch obi wan darth maul fight. That sequence of them fighting right after Qui Gon is killed. Still dope as hell with them just wailing on each other.
The only good part of that movie

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Darth maul was epic until he got cut in half and then never talked about again.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Ferrinus posted:

...Yeah wait, what the gently caress? What was she even trying to accomplish?

Hobo Clown posted:

It's a metaphor for Carrie Fisher killing herself to save us from this movie

That's not funny. I mean, it really shouldn't be funny, cuz goddamn.

Blarghalt
May 19, 2010

Tenzarin posted:

Darth maul was epic until he got cut in half and then never talked about again.

At least until he shows up in the animated Clone Wars/Rebels stuff and turns into Local Sith Literally Too Angry to Die

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Pollyanna posted:

...Yeah wait, what the gently caress? What was she even trying to accomplish?

That's not funny. I mean, it really shouldn't be funny, cuz goddamn.

I believe the most charitable reading is that she was trying to kill “Kylo Ren” in hopes that he would be succeeded by “Ben Solo”, as he was. Whether he was literally meant to mess up a parry timing and take a blade to the gut or simply have a change of heart and stop fighting isn’t clear, but why else would she time her psychic kamikaze for exactly then and there?

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
i like how the gently caress up the pacing and direction in that scene so it's like rey is watching kylo ren stop, turn around, stand there, drop his lightsaber, so she can then catch it, ignite it and stab him

instead of it just being like a quick 'unintentional' kind of strike

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Blarghalt posted:

At least until he shows up in the animated Clone Wars/Rebels stuff and turns into Local Sith Literally Too Angry to Die

Clone Wars and Rebels impressed me with how they not only got me to give a poo poo about Maul, but he becomes one of the most interesting characters in the series

It's kinda fascinating to find out what happens to one of Palpatine's pawns he discards after he uses them, and Maul using his knowledge of Sith subterfuge and intrigue to build his own criminal empire is fascinating

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Blarghalt posted:

Also at the end of Solo which must have confused people who were not aware of him surviving TPM

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
Give me a loving Rogue Squadron movie. Just give me more side stories. I don’t care about Jedi and Sith, I want to see how a dude builds a Y-Wing.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
A series set on a dingy city planet where a guy solves a different problem every week in exchange for a mechanical part, and at the end of the season it turns out he was collecting the parts to soup up his X-wing and he finishes it and flies away

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Ringo Star Get posted:

Give me a loving Rogue Squadron movie. Just give me more side stories. I don’t care about Jedi and Sith, I want to see how a dude builds a Y-Wing.

Rogue one and Solo are the best star war films.

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
what happened to the slave children not saved by our heroes who decided to save the space horses instead?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
They were rounded up by the First Order and put on the ships our heroes exploded.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Tenzarin posted:

Rogue One didn't succeed in getting me to care much about its characters, and I barely remember much of it at all except for the space part of Battle of Scarif. And that's only because I looked it up on Youtube.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
I mean I am not adverse to Macross Plus - But it's Star Wars.

I am shocked actually that Star Wars hasn't added mecha yet. You'd think they'd bite that bullet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lvdp2VNzW8

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Ringo Star Get posted:

Top Gun but set in Star Wars

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

FlamingLiberal posted:

Also at the end of Solo which must have confused people who were not aware of him surviving TPM

has anyone who's fallen into a pit stayed dead in Star Wars, now? is boba fett Actually Dead this time or has the new, equally stupid EU let him escape the sarlacc again?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Ferrinus posted:

I mean her son was working for space Hitler. At that point, either he gets his act together (which he did!) or she's just gotta hit the matricide button for the good of everybody else.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

ungulateman posted:

has anyone who's fallen into a pit stayed dead in Star Wars, now? is boba fett Actually Dead this time or has the new, equally stupid EU let him escape the sarlacc again?

he'll pop up in the mandalorian sooner or later

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Tenzarin posted:

Solo is barely even a film tbh

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

moist turtleneck posted:

mandalorian is great it's just a spaghetti western video game and that's all it is trying to be

it's Fun

Yeah, it's what the main focus of Star Wars really should be. Not stupid Jedi/Sith bullshit.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I've heard people say that the Man Delorean is like Samurai Jack but Star Wars, c/d

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

I was abroad for half a year when solo aired and I haven't watched it until now. Don't feel like I missed out on much.

I can see rogue one beating TLJ at the home video. Everyone of my friends with the typical 1-6 movie collection added rogue one. No one added TLJ. I think I know one guy who got TFA on blu ray at a pile grab.

E:

MJeff posted:

I've heard people say that the Man Delorean is like Samurai Jack but Star Wars, c/d

It's a space western and it manages what no ST movie managed so far, a storyline that builds up on its past installments, although at first I didn't expect it to cast such an arc.

Being the republic commando fanboy that I am I expected to be disappointed by a disney Era mandalorian but I was positively astonished.

Combat Theory fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Dec 22, 2019

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

MJeff posted:

Feels like it yeah. It’s more episodic than an overall arcing story. Main story is just them on the run and helping people along they way.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

SeANMcBAY posted:

Yeah, it's what the main focus of Star Wars really should be. Not stupid Jedi/Sith bullshit.

For a long while I was part of an RPG site that ran a story set in the Unknown Regions that crossed over Star Wars and Stargate. The main rule in it was No Jedi/Sith/Force-powers.

It was awesome. We haven't run a proper scenario since 2017 so the site is really more of a social thing, but no-Jedi Star Wars was really great.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Onmi posted:

Depends, there was an original treatment. Treatments aren't scripts (They're more like outlines with plot beats and an act structure along with characters) but regardless Rian tossed it all aside and simply said JJ didn't give him anything, which JJ was like "Yes I did." Just in case these films being a glorified Wookiepedia edit war wasn't clear enough.
So the same poo poo like "We don't have any source material, ignore those 50 novels and god knows how many comics", just on a smaller level?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Everyone posted:

For a long while I was part of an RPG site that ran a story set in the Unknown Regions that crossed over Star Wars and Stargate. The main rule in it was No Jedi/Sith/Force-powers.

It was awesome. We haven't run a proper scenario since 2017 so the site is really more of a social thing, but no-Jedi Star Wars was really great.

Personally I wish they had taken that scene from Genndy Clone Wars where Mace Windu hosed up a bunch of robots with force kung fu and gone somewhere with it. Like there could be different ways the force is applied beyond "laser sword" and "laser sword with another laser sword attached"

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

raditts posted:

Personally I wish they had taken that scene from Genndy Clone Wars where Mace Windu hosed up a bunch of robots with force kung fu and gone somewhere with it. Like there could be different ways the force is applied beyond "laser sword" and "laser sword with another laser sword attached"

But, but aren't forgetting "dude/robot with 6-10 extra laser swords attached?" That's a totally different application.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
This movie made me hate TLJ more just because it was a reaction to all the poo poo that happened in it. Also did Leia's lightsaber turn from green to blue? Also the young faces for Mark Hamil and Carrier Fisher when they showed Leia's Jedi training was so bad. Also I still can't believe they had Kylo and Rey kiss.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Just have Gennedy do a sequel movie but it’s animated, but never acknowledged that in the run-up, press or trailer.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

raditts posted:

I hated that ep, because it turns the Force into superpowers, and Jedi into superhumans. Like when you watch the Genenosis Arena battle, there's several dozen Jedi and a hundred Battle Droids, and when it's over, there's dead Jedi everywhere.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Combat Pretzel posted:

So the same poo poo like "We don't have any source material, ignore those 50 novels and god knows how many comics", just on a smaller level?

Basically. It's just like JJ saying TLJ was vital to telling Episode 9 and he's SUPER happy to have Rose Tico as a character and then proceeding to dumpster literally everything. It's pretty clear marketing double think like "We're super happy with TLJ, nothing is wrong, everything is fine." And then turns out, actually, nothing is okay. Like for all the people here going "What about merchandising" It's not doing as well as Disney would like, the toy sections themselves are shrinking and there's a lot of surplus. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not saying "No one's buying Star Wars Toys" but they are not being sold to the amount I'm sure Disney would prefer.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Just saw the flick. Thought it was decent, better than tfa, worse than tlj

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Gaunab posted:

This movie made me hate TLJ more just because it was a reaction to all the poo poo that happened in it. Also did Leia's lightsaber turn from green to blue? Also the young faces for Mark Hamil and Carrier Fisher when they showed Leia's Jedi training was so bad. Also I still can't believe they had Kylo and Rey kiss.

Yes, her lightsaber in the flashbacks was green but in present day it was blue, I noticed this too.