Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

:psyduck: How do quail survive in the wild?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
By taking the shotgun approach to evolution/reproduction. Have a whole bunch of babies, and some will probably live long enough to also have babies. Probably.

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Caught between two worlds...

StrixNebulosa posted:

:psyduck: How do quail survive in the wild?

Malachite_Dragon posted:

By taking the shotgun approach to evolution/reproduction. Have a whole bunch of babies, and some will probably live long enough to also have babies. Probably.
it's this, lol. also they're migratory grassland creatures, so they're adapted to wide open spaces with patches of dense shrubbery. a world of cages and fences and being kept in one place all the time isn't really the lifestyle they evolved for, so spatial stuff like "that bird can't get into the cage, but if i stick my head out through the bars it can still grab me" just... isn't hardwired into their funny little brains, the same as "if i fly over the fence and can't get back to the flock, i just have to do exactly what i just did but in the opposite direction"

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

lmao that face

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

fauna posted:

lmao that face

That looks like a chicken saying, "Am I in heaven? NO MATTER, GIVE FOOD!!!"

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

https://mobile.twitter.com/montysdognellie/status/867291539244023808

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

That picture is obviously staged. If it were real there would be seven hens smooshed into one nesting box and the rest would be empty.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
https://i.imgur.com/Yijyx1J.mp4

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

:swoon: a nature spirit

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

all is well in the qingdom. my reflexes are getting better from catching airborne baby quail in midair. luckily they only do the straight vertical right after i let them out of the cage when they're overcome with excitement, apart from that they seem to have twigged that it's not a great idea. (i'm still not letting them out unsupervised, i know they're just waiting for their chance). i've also added more plants to their playpen, which is always welcome

quiche (and the chip)

quetzalcoatl

the brothers. i've never raised two roosters intensively together as part of such a small brood, but i'm told it helps keep them amiable toward each other, so i'm hoping these two remain best friends into adulthood. they have a nice big hutch to cohabit in, and one of them will inherit felafel's castle when the old man passes away, if he ever does. personally i think he's going to outlive us all

and of course

friday.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
What's the best way to get more protein in my laying hens' diet? There are dozens of supplements out there and I have no idea which are effective without being overpriced. I'm supplementing their feed with corn and mealworms.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Halloween Jack posted:

What's the best way to get more protein in my laying hens' diet? There are dozens of supplements out there and I have no idea which are effective without being overpriced. I'm supplementing their feed with corn and mealworms.

Scrambled eggs, cat food, layers crumbles / chick feed.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
If I was getting eggs this wouldn't be a problem

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Halloween Jack posted:

corn is worthless.

What are you feeding right now for a main ration?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Purina Layena Plus Omega-3 Layer Feed. I've gone from crumbles to pellets and I'm thinking about going back to the crumbles.

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Halloween Jack posted:

Purina Layena Plus Omega-3 Layer Feed. I've gone from crumbles to pellets and I'm thinking about going back to the crumbles.

I'm using that too(pellets) and my hens are still laying like mad in 20 degree weather. Are they eating enough of the food? Or is one of the hens maybe blocking everyone else from getting up to the food?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I hadn't even thought of that. When they're in the run/yard, the feeder usually stays in the coop and they usually go in one or two at a time to get food. Sometimes my wife puts it in the run. Some are more aggressive about going for treats than others, but I haven't observed them chasing each other away from food. Maybe I should separate some of the feed into a second feeder when they're in the coop. My coop is actually two coops kludged together, so there's room to put two feeders a few feet apart.

The weird thing about the Omega-3 feed is that it only comes in pellets. I'm thinking about switching to the non-Omega 3 crumbles and then giving an Omega-3 supplement. There's less food waste with the pellets, but I'm starting to think they like crumbles better.

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I'd try keeping the food in the run during the day for a few days before changing anything else. My hens hate going in the coop other than for sleeping and laying. Adding a 2nd feeder isn't a bad idea either. I always try cheap ideas first with things I already have before buying anything new.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

mine far prefer crumbles. also not sure if it's a feed thing but some of my hens had problems with poopy butts while on purina but after switching to nutrena naturewise it seems to happen less. i think its worth the extra drive to a store that isn't tractor supply which only seems to sell purina and their house brand

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

i've been harvesting the eggs daily for a friend's birthday party and frida has had enough. now when i put my hand near her nest she pecks it (gently but firmly) while making an amazing noise like BAP BAP BAP BAP BAP BAP BAP :byodame: BAP BAP BAP BAP

i feel so ashamed

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

most of my quail interact with me, but frida's the only one who does the classic chook thing where they look you dead in the eye and tell you you're a piece of poo poo

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

fauna posted:

i've been harvesting the eggs daily for a friend's birthday party and frida has had enough. now when i put my hand near her nest she pecks it (gently but firmly) while making an amazing noise like BAP BAP BAP BAP BAP BAP BAP :byodame: BAP BAP BAP BAP

i feel so ashamed

I would eat that bird's whole head for pecking but that's because my little sociopaths were always hungry for flesh. Seems she's just being kind of an rear end, just a total murderhen.

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I would eat that bird's whole head for pecking but that's because my little sociopaths were always hungry for flesh. Seems she's just being kind of an rear end, just a total murderhen.
it's not even a stabbing peck like broody hens peck, her mouth is open and she has no harmful intent, it's like being playfully mouthed by a dog except she's clearly furious. further proof quail are the missing link between lizards and chickens

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

fauna posted:

it's not even a stabbing peck like broody hens peck, her mouth is open and she has no harmful intent, it's like being playfully mouthed by a dog except she's clearly furious. further proof quail are the missing link between lizards and chickens

Better be careful or she'll hurl herself at you with a catapult and explode. Because she's an angry bird.

That is kind of a hosed-up game. Oh no, the pigs have taken the birds' eggs. So the birds built catapults and are suicide bombing the pigs.

Presumably they were inspired to fanatical rage by Osama bird Laden.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

And not only do they hurl themselves, one actually drops her own eggs on the pigs.

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

:ohdear:

:unsmith:

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

dead... or bliss???

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

hope and vaseline posted:

dead... or bliss???
i texted the first photo to three people and they all responded with "oh no what happened"

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

lmao so, i've always wondered why japanese quail had the broodiness bred out of them, and now i know. frida quailo has gone broody and she has also gone MAD. i'm not only forbidden from opening the cage, now if she sees me anywhere in the quail zone she turns into a round demon and charges at me while chattering ferociously and pulling this face

obviously it's not ideal from a husbandry point of view, but it's hilarious getting chased out of my own garden by an irate quail. also it's strangely touching that my quail are so comfortable in my presence that they feel confident attacking me. i'm pretty sure she'll go back to normal when she gets chick.

the babies are growing up strong and beautiful. they've integrated with the adults now, felafel met his sons yesterday without incident, they all just strutted around each other in mutual respect and admiration

friday was such a funny-looking chick that i was worried she might not grow up right, but she's turned out healthy, confident and very handsome

and finally... the king

fauna fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Dec 24, 2019

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
The cutest velociraptor :kimchi:

Lawson
Apr 21, 2006

You're right, I agree.
Total Clam
the qing dynasty

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

fauna posted:

lmao so, i've always wondered why japanese quail had the broodiness bred out of them, and now i know. frida quailo has gone broody and she has also gone MAD. i'm not only forbidden from opening the cage, now if she sees me anywhere in the quail zone she turns into a round demon and charges at me while chattering ferociously and pulling this face

Haha drat such a fierce little fluff ball.

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

i always thought quail had fairly short memories, but it's been a full week since i touched her eggs and she has neither forgotten nor forgiven

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

fauna posted:

i always thought quail had fairly short memories, but it's been a full week since i touched her eggs and she has neither forgotten nor forgiven

Memories are short rage is forever

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

fauna posted:

She has forgotten why she was mad at you, only that she is.

Quail War is forever.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006
Quail. Quail never changes.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I love your avian rage orb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Merry Christmas to the poultry thread. May your holidays be filled with half-naked, angry molting chickens and the maybe weekly eggs from the winter months.