Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Wax Dynasty posted:

I watched the Lego episode of Toys That Made Us last night. It's on Netflix and was very interesting. I had no idea that Lego had so many failed product lines in the 90s and that Bionicle basically saved the company from bankruptcy.
I still remember the catalog I got that unveiled bionicle for the first time. I was so drat excited, buildable action figures that didn't suck? hell yeah! I got way too many of them and when Ames, Bradleys, Caldor, and the other chains got destroyed by Walmart, my parents took full advantage of the clearances and got me wayyyy toooo many sets. Cahdok and Gahdok was a goldmine for technic parts and were able to be had for $15 during clearances, with huge stacks of them. The original sets were great for colored parts, though Lego's attempts to integrate Bionicle pieces into regular lego sets...didn't work so well. and the later bionicle stuff past the Metru Nui line was kind of a massive mess, though you had some pretty neat sets like the vehicle ones. There was a big H-tank that transformed into a scorpion thing.

while I was searching for those images, there were some MOCs in the google image search results that show just how versatile and compatible bionicle stuff is with regular bricks, too.

that reimagining of Cahdok is crazy good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

That tank is loving amazing.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I’m a hardcore brick fan but I tell you if I had a time machine I’d snatch up so much bionicle. It’s so loving versatile for cool builds.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The key is having a shitload of those half-pins with the pin on one side and the stud on the other. It allows for plenty of easy combination of brick and bionicle pretty seamlessly.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Wax Dynasty posted:

I watched the Lego episode of Toys That Made Us last night. It's on Netflix and was very interesting. I had no idea that Lego had so many failed product lines in the 90s and that Bionicle basically saved the company from bankruptcy.

This was a perfectly cromulent show but at the same time it didn't tell you anything you didn't already know if you are semi-familiar with lego history.

I was more interested in that documentary about they guy who applied to work at Lego. Because holy poo poo, all their cutesy corporate culture poo poo makes it sound like an absolutely miserable place to work unless you have a certain personality type.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

ElwoodCuse posted:

This was a perfectly cromulent show but at the same time it didn't tell you anything you didn't already know if you are semi-familiar with lego history.

I was more interested in that documentary about they guy who applied to work at Lego. Because holy poo poo, all their cutesy corporate culture poo poo makes it sound like an absolutely miserable place to work unless you have a certain personality type.

Hmmm... no it doesn't?

Can you give an example?

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

Beachcomber posted:

My kingdom for more Blacktron 2.

This!

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

The only space I ever got into was M-Tron or whatever it was called. You know, the one with the magnets.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Hot take: all space Lego themes are good.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
I always get a bit sad about people making GBS threads on UFO, because that was my absolute fave as a kid.

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!
The coolest Space theme is always going to be the one you yourself grew up with. In other words,

Rhyno posted:

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Yeah for real, the pedestal some people put classic space on makes me roll my eyes a bit sometimes.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Koramei posted:

Yeah for real, the pedestal some people put classic space on makes me roll my eyes a bit sometimes.
yeah, why would you want this:

when you can have THIS

(but really the best lego robot set wasn't even in the space line)

and really,

Rhyno posted:

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

TBH I always preferred castle and pirate and all the other quasi historical themes.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Chairchucker posted:

TBH I always preferred castle and pirate and all the other quasi historical themes.
that's fine, now back in your hole with the other people who like the wrong classic serieses.

edit: lol that reminded me, this theme existed

boy howdy. I think there was also a line with conquistadors too. just a whole lot of native invadin' going on in the pirate line.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Dec 23, 2019

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Chairchucker posted:

Hotter take: all Lego themes are great and special in their own ways.

Except Nexo Knights. gently caress that poo poo.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Nexo knights had rad minifigs and gave us a huge variety of trans orange pieces, so it was a cool series too.

Other
Jul 10, 2007

Post it easy!
Okay, now you're just fishing for red text avs

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Rhyno posted:

Except Nexo Knights. gently caress that poo poo.
nexo knights sets were good and a treasure trove of new pieces for mocs.

Yours is the Rock Raiders of opinions. Clumsy, ill-conceived, and a testament of how badly things can go wrong. :colbert:

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

I enjoyed m-tron a lot, but whatever the space theme was called that had the train? I'm pretty sure I spent over a hundred hours with that one. I think I somehow managed to force my parents to buy me the train set a second time, and I spent entire days building new space train stations, only to rip them apart the moment everything was working, to build even larger ones.

I actually reversed that theme by no longer building cool space train stations, but actually moving space cities, which taxed the motors so much they could no longer move them up a sloped track.

It was like space mortal engines on tracks.

e: it was 6990 : Future Monorail

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Rhyno posted:

UFO's gigantic half lobe disks that were impossible to do anything with started my dark age :colbert:
Look at this bullshit

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

xzzy posted:

Nexo knights had rad minifigs and gave us a huge variety of trans orange pieces, so it was a cool series too.

This as gently caress.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Neat.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

goons: nexo knight sucks

this guy: gonna anarchy in the uk you to death

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Nth Doctor posted:

UFO's gigantic half lobe disks that were impossible to do anything with started my dark age :colbert:
Look at this bullshit

Yeah I got the small UFO with these pieces and it’s probably my least favourite set I ever received. If they weren’t printed you could almost do something with them but like all the printed UFO pieces they’re too specialized to integrate nicely into an moc

YanniRotten
Apr 3, 2010

We're so pretty,
oh so pretty
Titan XP is so extremely a Gundam rip off and I do 100% want one now.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
The worst line is Time Travelers or whatever, because it was a lovely mix of better lines.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

VaultAggie posted:

The worst line is Time Travelers or whatever, because it was a lovely mix of better lines.

Time Twisters :agreed:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

VaultAggie posted:

I liked it for the unusual extras I would get. Also, just for an idea of what to do with my very mixed themes; time traveller HQ! Bring back goods from other times, sell them to other times, profit!

But I'll always thank Aquanauts for filling my bin with dozens of bright yellow pieces.

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!
I said this before in this thread, but had Time Twisters come out when I was like 8 (instead of during my dark ages), I would have loved that poo poo. Absolute garbage sets looking at them as an adult, but as a kid who wanted my knights and town guys and space guys all hanging out together, I think I would have been all about time travel sets.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Aquanauts/Aquasharks seems like the start of overly specialized sets that don’t really fit into a main “overworld” theme- the adventures you were meant to have were too linear as far as good guys vs bad guys and the pieces don’t integrate well with the main themes unless you’re building a really eclectic MOC.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

Aquanauts/Aquasharks seems like the start of overly specialized sets that don’t really fit into a main “overworld” theme- the adventures you were meant to have were too linear as far as good guys vs bad guys and the pieces don’t integrate well with the main themes unless you’re building a really eclectic MOC.

LEGO was doing that over and over again for a while.

Pogo Stick HEROES
set 1: megapogo ($200)
(two walls and a pogoship)
set 2: pogo base ($125)
(a wall, two small pogoships)
set 3: encounter at pogo ($74)
(stupid setpiece, one minipogo and one darkskater miniskater)
set 4: minipogo ($40)
(tiny vehicle, one minifig)

DarkSkaters
set 1: Darkskater mobile fort ($100)
(like, one moulded piece on some wheels)
set 2: DarkSkate interceptor ($75)
(a ship that's mostly canopy and a grabber)
Set 3: Darkskater Gang ($30)
(some minifigs, two miniskates)

Help the Pogo Stick heroes explore and find the rare Pogonium! But don't let the DarkSkaters get the Pogonium first!

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Nth Doctor posted:

Look at this bullshit

I built Star Trek ships with them that had been partially assimilated by the Borg. :colbert:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Blue Moonlight posted:

I built Star Trek ships with them that had been partially assimilated by the Borg. :colbert:

...I didn't post this. This isn't my username! How are you me?!?

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Time Cowboy posted:

I said this before in this thread, but had Time Twisters come out when I was like 8 (instead of during my dark ages), I would have loved that poo poo. Absolute garbage sets looking at them as an adult, but as a kid who wanted my knights and town guys and space guys all hanging out together, I think I would have been all about time travel sets.

This. I apparently had every set in this line, and while I remember little about them, they had a very 90’s Nickelodeon kid-mishmash feel to them that I enjoyed at the time. I think my favorite bit was the ship with flapping wings as you rolled it across the table.

As a grown assed jort-wearing AFOL, they look terrible.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Nth Doctor posted:

I think my favorite bit was the ship with flapping wings as you rolled it across the table.

That was great. I had that one.

Weirdly my favorite part of it is that it came with a top hat and a proper villainy-looking face, monocle and all. Precious items in my bin!

Edit: actually, now that I look, it came with this guy:

So where did my top hat and monocle guy come from...?

Edit 2: Okay, monocle guy is from this:

Still looking for top hat source.

Also ironic that I had dozens of pirate sets but never a hook hand until I got this minifig. Don't know why, really.

Brawnfire fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Dec 23, 2019

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
The Adventurers sets had a guy in a suit with a black top hat who looked decidedly sinister.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Kawaii!

https://brickset.com/article/47859/review-40436-lucky-cat

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

The Adventurers sets had a guy in a suit with a black top hat who looked decidedly sinister.

Sam Sinister, I think that may be the guy above, but he's in aviation gear because he was on a biplane. I must have had a second version of him?

Or on second thought, the Time Twisters sets came with a few extra props from historical eras, perhaps it was from that.

Oh LEGO bins. It's like archeology lite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

Nth Doctor posted:

Look at this bullshit

Speaking of which, anyone want to buy part of a spaceship and some minifigs?

tomapot fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Dec 23, 2019