Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr.Sloth
May 20, 2007

Tias posted:

Rimefeller users:

I seem to have a synthylene issue. I'd like to make some spiffy new synthylene flooring, and I've researched the appropriate techs, but my synthylene plant, in spite of being well supplied with chemfuel, electricity etc. does not seem to put out any. Is there something apart from setting the job in my resource console I have to do here :confused:

I had the same issue. Click on the resource console and you may need to set your production targets. It won't make anything till you tell it to make X synthylene or whatever.

Also does anyone have any recommendations for mod collections which are more medieval / low tech focused? I've been using immersion+ for the last few runs and want to try something different.

Mr.Sloth fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Dec 17, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I forgot to put one tile of piping into the synthylene plant :downs:

Anyway, how do y'all do napalm traps? I just tried a spark pan, but it appears they just light stuff constantly and immediately, which napalmed half my driveway and couple pawns :supaburn:

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
So got back from work and was able to download that Android Tiers fix that made everything work again. Is there any way to stop Steam from downloading any updates like that unless I want it to? The update options I see for it under Steam properties are "yes, always, super always, and before everything always!" which is...not what I want.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

bird food bathtub posted:

So got back from work and was able to download that Android Tiers fix that made everything work again. Is there any way to stop Steam from downloading any updates like that unless I want it to? The update options I see for it under Steam properties are "yes, always, super always, and before everything always!" which is...not what I want.

There is no way to stop Steam from updating mods literally everything automatically, but you can just move the mod from your computer's workshop folder to Rimworld's mod folder and then unsubscribe. Rimworld is one of those games that has its own modding system and isn't solely dependent on the Workshop.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!

Tias posted:

I forgot to put one tile of piping into the synthylene plant :downs:

Anyway, how do y'all do napalm traps? I just tried a spark pan, but it appears they just light stuff constantly and immediately, which napalmed half my driveway and couple pawns :supaburn:

You connect it to a switch on the other side of the wall and leave it off until its time.

Incoming Chinchilla
Apr 2, 2010
I just place a peice of unconnected power conduit near them, so you can manually switch things on and off using the re-connect button.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
How far will pawns travel to use a table ? I have my fridge set on one side of a small valley, then farms, then my factory / rec center on the other side/. Everyone goes to the fridge and just eats a meal, and ignores the table setup. Its it too far to walk? is it not set up exclusively as a eating spot because i might have a research table there too ? its really one of the only bad thoughts we are getting and its driving me nuts

Also , auto turrets, any good set up ideas so they aren't rushed and killed asap? adding sandbags in front ? multiple layers ?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

They won't travel very far, no. So you should put a fridge somewhere next to your dining room.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I've been getting a lot of mileage out of making meal storage just on the other side of a wall from the dining table, and then filling that one room with all the recreational furniture. One room gives both dining room and recreation room mood bonuses.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Having a dual purpose rec and dining room is a good idea because yeah, they don't interfere, they are used in the same time block, and you get the quality bonus for both.

I also recommend a fridge mod that makes freestanding container fridges for meals, makes live much easier.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

Having a dual purpose rec and dining room is a good idea because yeah, they don't interfere, they are used in the same time block, and you get the quality bonus for both.

I also recommend a fridge mod that makes freestanding container fridges for meals, makes live much easier.

This post right here. My kitchen is right across the hall from a giant community room with chairs, tables, pool, and other entertainment options. I don't actually have refrigerators in the same room, but because the kitchen is so close, pawns can just dip in and grab a meal, then go straight to the beautiful community room.

Make sure you put your table seating in the effective area of the TV.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Kitchen as effectively an add-on to the dining room is also a good idea yes. I usually put them across the hall or in a cafeteria style arrangement. If you use the mod that adds wall fridges this works even better because you can literally make the adjoining wall into meal storage and access it from both sides.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I actually tend to put my TV in the hospital. Whatever dumbass got himself shot, stabbed, burned and caught the plague will watch TV without leaving their medical bed and nobody needs to use more pawn labor to cheer up patients.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

Kitchen as effectively an add-on to the dining room is also a good idea yes. I usually put them across the hall or in a cafeteria style arrangement. If you use the mod that adds wall fridges this works even better because you can literally make the adjoining wall into meal storage and access it from both sides.

After I made my post, I realized I needed to do this in my game. I just have to work up the :effort: to load it back up and make the change.

I've been waiting until I build a new computer to go back into it, because on my aging 3570k the game slows to a crawl once you're big. It's a bit better since I swapped in a new heatsink and overclocked, but until I get a beefy modern processor, I'm going to be eating poo poo at 50+ pawns.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
So with the new version of Prison Labour, it keeps more track of how you treat your prisoners, leading to them committing suicide if you treat them too poorly. This also includes while inside a battery pod apparently :staredog: I dont know if that means they'll commit suicide in a crypto sleep pod too but either way it seems like a bug.

Also a raid came in with a high level surrogate android that I managed to destroy, and upon disassembling, the AI core was still intact :woop: flashbacks to Dwarf Fortress and using enemy raids as a tertiary source of raw materials

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Roundboy posted:

How far will pawns travel to use a table ? I have my fridge set on one side of a small valley, then farms, then my factory / rec center on the other side/. Everyone goes to the fridge and just eats a meal, and ignores the table setup. Its it too far to walk? is it not set up exclusively as a eating spot because i might have a research table there too ? its really one of the only bad thoughts we are getting and its driving me nuts
This mod does nothing but extend the table travel intent to 128 tiles: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1544932892

Also you can try storing your prepared meals in a shelf next to the dining table, unrefrigerated - you only really need to worry about refrigeration if you are making more meals in one batch than your colony consumes in 4 days.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Texture pack! Also, wall/floor tile pack.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1771295228
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1882432197

I'm enjoying it thus far, adds a nice RPG style look to things, and it's a nice change of pace from vanilla art. Also makes the water look really good.

I like also that it takes advantage of the difference between hewn and regular rough stone, the stuff you dig out actually looks quarried while the difference in vanilla is virtually unnoticeable.

Makes the map look quite nice and bleak/gloomy.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Dec 21, 2019

sharkbomb
Feb 9, 2005

Roundboy posted:

Also , auto turrets, any good set up ideas so they aren't rushed and killed asap? adding sandbags in front ? multiple layers ?

Check out the mod RimFridge. It gives you fridges that can be standalone or installed as a wall. I use the wall fridges in my kitchens, dining rooms, and rec rooms because it allows two way access (haulers deposit from the hallway, consumers withdraw from inside the room). Also keeps meals frozen so they wont spoil. It feels balanced too because they require power and components

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Be careful, wild animals can eat out of wall fridges.

Negative Entropy fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Dec 21, 2019

sharkbomb
Feb 9, 2005

Negative Entropy posted:

Be careful, wild animals can eat out of wall fridges.

So true. Learned this lesson the hard way during my first winter. As soon as all of the wild grass disappeared every wild animal on the map zerg rushed my base.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

But why have a wall fridge in an exterior wall

sharkbomb
Feb 9, 2005
Hauling pets and pawns can deposit stuff without ever having to enter a building. Then the animals or cooks or whatever can use the food without ever leaving their building

Also

I'm rich af

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Honestly an unrefrigerated wall hatch would be a pretty useful mod.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
Corpse hatch into your stone burning room where you chuck a molotov onto the corpse pile.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
I'll tend to micromanage is too much trying to make a base that is cool in the summer, then i flip the vents closed and now all the coolers are heating up the base. But it takes so much effort then to just plop a heater down

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Was electric smelting removed as a tech? I have slag everywhere and can't seem to find it in my research tree :confused:

Also, does napalm light up when struck by lightning, or can it spontaneously self-combust?

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Lightning sparks fires if it hits anything flammable, so yeah napalm will go up.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Tias posted:

Was electric smelting removed as a tech? I have slag everywhere and can't seem to find it in my research tree :confused:

Don't know which mod it is exactly but one of the ones I'm using adds a search box to the research tree which is really helpful for this kind of problem.

ChristsDickWorship
Dec 7, 2004

Annihilate your demons

Tias posted:

Also, does napalm light up when struck by lightning, or can it spontaneously self-combust?

In vanilla I thought it was unlocked by smithing? Not sure, seems like its always available to build by the time I have slag building up.

On base design, a larger room naturally adds impressiveness too so tearing down a wall and combining dining plus rec helps both bonuses for the same amount of space. My new favorite is to make a 4-5 wide main hallway connecting the early bedrooms and kitchen/rec/dining. Use that area for storage very early and eventually as the main workshop. Put all the heating/cooling in that "room" with vents to everything else.

Hallway is maybe a strong word, just a contiguous space between the other rooms, you can tetris workbenches and stockpiles quite a bit in irregular spaces.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I know it looks like a target but it's not a suggestion...

Incoming Chinchilla
Apr 2, 2010
I don't think I've ever had anything (meteorites, ship parts etc) land in my base. Is the game coded to avoid this cos I think it would be pretty hilarious.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Incoming Chinchilla posted:

I don't think I've ever had anything (meteorites, ship parts etc) land in my base. Is the game coded to avoid this cos I think it would be pretty hilarious.

Yeah that stuff won't land within a certain radius of any active pawns or any of your constructions

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

A meteor definitely landed on a raid that was engaging at my outer walls, took out two of them.

Didn't hit the walls, just the enemy pawns.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I had a meteorite land on my fields inside my walls in like B18 or something. It was annoying because back then it turned my fertile soil to stone permanently.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
A meteor landed on a turkey in one of my bases. We call that day Thanksgiving now.

ChristsDickWorship
Dec 7, 2004

Annihilate your demons

I recently had my first poison ship land inside my walls. On my farm, just a few tiles from my rec room and kitchen

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I had a meteor land right in front of my entrance, heavily damaging the nearby geothermal generator but miraculously not damaging the power cables it landed directly on top of. Very polite

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
I had meteors smash a herd of muffalo once, solving all my food problems for a while

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
The mod that provides crash landings will drop ship sections anywhere and anywhere, including on top of your hospital/barracks/mortar shell magazine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

I had a drop pod smash through the just-finished roof of my freezer onto the head of a pawn, killing him instantly, on day three of a five-person embark with tribal supplies but spacer tech. The pawns were named after my roommates and friends.