Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

What happens when you total an aircraft carrier? Linked article is in Russian, but this quote has a translation if you click through.

Nenonen posted:

At first the fire damages on Kuznetsov were reported to be minor and just some cabling that was going to be replaced anyway. No harm done!

As a surprise to no one, according to Kommersant that turns out to have been a big fat lie.

As an interesting aside, Forbes says the same could have - or more accurately already has - happened to US Navy: Fire That Scorched Russian Carrier Could Happen At U.S. Navy Shipyards, Too

How the hell do you put out a fire on a nuclear submarine?? Can you fill it with CO2? Anyway I love that USS Miami's motto was "First to fire. Twice to fire." The civilian contractor set two fires...

edit: what a stupid question, I already own an accurate simulation of this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I THINK THAT "PRIMA DONNA" IS "PRE-MADONNA". I MAY BE ILLITERATE.
bitcoin thread reminded me of this idiot

elite_garbage_man posted:

I've never seen this, but there are high ranking military members that give them away. A lot of people collect them from the various units they were in.

A funny experience I did have regarding these stupid loving challenge coins was the battalion commander of the unit I was in at the time telling the dudes in my team and I how he appreciated the hard work we did running an indoc, and how he wants to show us his appreciation by giving us a CUSTOM MADE coin he "rarely gives away." Then this mother fucker pulled a gallon sized zip lock bag full of them out of his desk, and gave each of us one like a piece of Halloween candy.

None of us liked the guy since a few months before this, he said how he thought our community was full of prima donnas, and before the coin hand off he came up with some lame rear end excuse on why he didn't do pt with us, pointing to the ruck he packed for the day as proof he was ready.

The dude was a huge fuckin' loser, and probably invests in bitcoin today.

elite_garbage_man fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Dec 20, 2019

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

lol pre-Madonna are you for loving real

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

MA-Horus posted:

lol pre-Madonna are you for loving real

like a virgin lmao

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Midjack posted:

like a virgin lmao

whalla

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

whelp

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I THINK THAT "PRIMA DONNA" IS "PRE-MADONNA". I MAY BE ILLITERATE.
I owned myself

Turns out I was the idiot all along

elite_garbage_man fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Dec 20, 2019

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

for all intensive porpoises

IntensivePorpoises
Sep 23, 2012

EBB posted:

for all intensive porpoises

You rang?

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

...gesdundheit.

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013

elite_garbage_man posted:

bitcoin thread reminded me of this idiot

Had a maintenance officer that gave out stickers for busting your rear end. The trend seems to have quietly died.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
We used to send people home early or offer spots on the good TDYs. It's really not that hard to treat your people well.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
For real.

I hear things have changed, but some poo poo never changes.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

But if you dont treat your underlings like moving pond scum how will you feel like the big dick in the room? :iiam:

Sadly that applies everywhere

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
https://www.marinecorpstimes.com/ne...s-investigates/

quote:

Unconfirmed online rumors say that the rifles were taken from the sleeping bags of a lieutenant and corporal, and that Marines are being prevented from going on a holiday leave block until the search is complete and the rifles are recovered.

Someone's about to catch a Code Red.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Those two idiots who tried to sell them to the narcos got out of jail, I guess.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
per say

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

I see this one all the time and I hate it.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
I'm glad we're getting this list flushed out.

Itchy_Grundle
Feb 22, 2003

Pacificly speaking...

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
https://twitter.com/kittynouveau/status/1208862902821752832?s=20

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Doggles posted:

https://twitter.com/propublica/status/1209119127761301506

I've only made it through the introduction and chapter 1 so far and knew I had to post it here.

quote:

A chief petty officer, responsible for training the sailors to use the navigation system, was charged with dereliction of duty. The chief petty officer had himself received less than an hour of instruction.

The IBNS was so complex that it overwhelmed the junior sailors who used it. Navy technicians would even disable the touch screen to avoid rudder changes caused by accidental taps, forcing sailors to use the manual wheel instead, according to a former Navy technician who worked on the system.

In 2014, Navy officials discovered a flaw in the IBNS. One component could not keep track of more than 150 ships at a time without malfunctioning, according to Navy investigators. The Navy’s solution? Sailors were told to delete tracked ships before the total hit the magic number.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Sounds about right

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Wow

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Admirals are maybe slightly less despicable than SEALs but not by much

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Mind you not being able to track multiple ships above a certain number is not an uncommon issue amongst navigation software and equipment.

The SOLAS ARPA standard is something ridiculous like eight targets.

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch

Oh god, click on the tweet and check out the full picture. It’s even worse...

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Dollar to donuts that poo poo has some cringe poo poo on the front.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
This is a troll, right? I need to believe this is a troll.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

My dumb troop who I talked about a while back started blabbing to me on drill about how he totally derailed bystander training, and the trainer guy didn't know what to do. He asked me if I'd seen Four Christmases, which I hadn't. Apparently there's some scene in it where a couple go into a bar and pretend to meet for the first time. So he's all "Yeah so we go to bars and pretend we don't know each other and start feeling each other up, and that's not really anyone else's business so they shouldn't be stepping in on that, and so bystander training is BS" He was really proud of himself.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Casimir Radon posted:

My dumb troop who I talked about a while back started blabbing to me on drill about how he totally derailed bystander training, and the trainer guy didn't know what to do. He asked me if I'd seen Four Christmases, which I hadn't. Apparently there's some scene in it where a couple go into a bar and pretend to meet for the first time. So he's all "Yeah so we go to bars and pretend we don't know each other and start feeling each other up, and that's not really anyone else's business so they shouldn't be stepping in on that, and so bystander training is BS" He was really proud of himself.

Welp, thats a Red Dot.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

CommieGIR posted:

Welp, thats a Red Dot.
Then he started talking about how he favored a flat tax. He gives me a headache every time he starts talking and I just want him to become someone else's problem sooner than later.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Casimir Radon posted:

Then he started talking about how he favored a flat tax. He gives me a headache every time he starts talking and I just want him to become someone else's problem sooner than later.

I know you don't want to, but ask him about Epstein.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

CommieGIR posted:

Welp, thats a Red Dot.

What's a red dot

CommieGIR posted:

I know you don't want to, but ask him about Epstein.

If he's in favor of a flat tax, he'll probably start in on how AoC laws are unconstitutional

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

pkells posted:

Oh god, click on the tweet and check out the full picture. It’s even worse...

comments are gold too.

"I did not consent to be part of your bdsm scene when I went for spicy nuggets"

"Does he have a safeword to reach into his pockets?"

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Milo and POTUS posted:

What's a red dot

https://www.usafa.edu/news/7-things-know-new-green-dot-training/

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Touch-screen shenanigans

Touch screen devices are massively unreliable to start with unless you spend thousands of dollars on each screen and accompanying hardware, and even then the most you want to do with that is draw images you can erase if you gently caress up a stroke. Not steer giant navy vessels in real time.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

evilmiera posted:

Touch screen devices are massively unreliable to start with unless you spend thousands of dollars on each screen and accompanying hardware, and even then the most you want to do with that is draw images you can erase if you gently caress up a stroke. Not steer giant navy vessels in real time.

But Captain Picard!

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Midjack posted:

But Captain Picard!

Has a chair

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Anybody who thinks touch screens should be on any kind of critical system on a ship has never tried to steer one through a storm.

Also, night vision motherfuckers.