Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

I assume that ROS retroactively makes the empty calories of a TFA rewatch even more empty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The Cameo posted:

There is zero goddamn actual chance that in terms of real money that has come in, that Disney isn't profiting off Star Wars fantastically. The sheer blitz of crap to buy leading up to Force Awakens alone probably covered a lot of the purchase.

I remember seeing a figure of 11 billion dollars made in merchandising on Star Wars before the Force Awaken came out.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

yeah i liked and defended TFA quite a bit at the time because i didn’t (and don’t) see the first film in what will presumably be a trilogy being filled with a bunch of mystery setups as a problem if the mysteries and questions raised interest me.

but yeah, retroactively it kind of sucks rear end too knowing that none of it goes anywhere and was just the introduction to this loving shitshow of a trilogy

it’s a real Game of Thrones situation

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

I said come in! posted:

I remember seeing a figure of 11 billion dollars made in merchandising on Star Wars before the Force Awaken came out.

No way. Maybe revenue, but that's a different thing than profit.

I'm sure they are ahead on the investment in the end, but it's by a billion or three, not tens of billions. Combine that with interest seemingly waning and it's a stinker. You don't consider "we matched an index fund's return on investment and can't mine it for more any longer" a success when you're that big.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Atrocious Joe posted:

China didn't make the Star Wars sequels, Disney did.

Even if changes were made because of assumptions about the Chinese market, then the blame still falls on Disney's execs racist assumptions about Chinese people.

Half correct. Disney is not legally able to release Star Wars in China on their own. In order to do so they have to go through a Chinese government owned company, who takes a pretty significant percentage of the profits. That company has to follow extremely strict and terrible censorship laws that the Chinese government has laid out. Did the Disney execs still sign off on those changes and agree to them? Yes, they did, so they are cowards and horrible people either way. Was it for a massive amount of money? Nope, the money made from the Chinese market for Western media companies is actually pretty tiny, for the game industry for example its like less than 6% for massive publishers like Activision.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

I said come in! posted:

Half correct. Disney is not legally able to release Star Wars in China on their own. In order to do so they have to go through a Chinese government owned company, who takes a pretty significant percentage of the profits. That company has to follow extremely strict and terrible censorship laws that the Chinese government has laid out. Did the Disney execs still sign off on those changes and agree to them? Yes, they did, so they are cowards and horrible people either way. Was it for a massive amount of money? Nope, the money made from the Chinese market for Western media companies is actually pretty tiny, for the game industry for example its like less than 6% for massive publishers like Activision.

And even if that weren't true (it is), Star Wars does pitifully bad in China compared to much other Western media.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

sassassin posted:

If a big company invests 4 billion in something and only roughly breaks even heads tend to roll. To spend that much cash and not see a significant return and/or growth is poor.

Recouping your long term investment you can milk forever in six years is actually extremely good. If they're doing long term damage to the thing they own now, that's bad, but the initial investment was incredible.

If Disney was in panic mode, Kathleen Kennedy would have been moved to other projects a while ago. I still think it would be smart to do that, but they just gave her a three year extension last year. The Mandalorian is basically the one big tentpole of new content propping up Disney+ too, so Star Wars continues to be a valuable part of their holdings.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Dec 26, 2019

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

dex_sda posted:

And even if that weren't true (it is), Star Wars does pitifully bad in China compared to much other Western media.

Yep, all of this is for the hope of eventually making it big. The western market is assuming the Chinese market is an explosion of massive never before seen profits, when in reality the exact opposite is true. All companies here are doing is helping support a pretty brutal government that is using that money to be terrible to its people.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I said come in! posted:

Yep, all of this is for the hope of eventually making it big. The western market is assuming the Chinese market is an explosion of massive never before seen profits, when in reality the exact opposite is true. All companies here are doing is helping support a pretty brutal government that is using that money to be terrible to its people.

Same with the major sports leagues here too; NFL, NBA, NHL, etc.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It's hard to tell what Disney's reactions to things are going to be, or even at all except in retrospect, so might be best to wait and see til at least when TROS leaves theatres.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

I said come in! posted:

Almost like capitalism is bad.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

stev posted:

John Carter's gonna smash the box office this time, I just know it.

I liked the John Carter movie. I wished we'd gotten a sequel/series out of it.

Sinteres posted:

I think you're way off here. Nothing sells merchandise like growing up giving a poo poo about something, because not only will adults spend shitloads of money on the stuff, but they'll do their best to introduce their kids to it. If people could capture lightning in a bottle like that at will, Marvel movies wouldn't be crushing everything else in Hollywood.

That's been the Disney business model from the beginning. I mean think about it. Is there any other corporation that's actually loved by people? You might eat Heinz ketchup or fuel your vehicle at Exxon, but it's not like your heart beats a little faster with joy at the thought of that. Walt Disney bascially created a consumer "church." Kids loved Disney stuff and grew to adults who still loved it and their own kids loved it.

Mat Cauthon posted:

https://twitter.com/Spectre799games/status/1209746679546564608?s=19

It's cool to see McGregor, Park, etc really embrace their involvement in the prequels. I wonder how the sequel cast will feel in a decade, although I doubt the sequels will receive the same sort of latter day appreciation that the prequels have gotten.

I think the second series is a little different because two of the four main stars (Adam Driver and Oscar Isaac) already had decently successful careers prior to TFA. They were already on a good career path. The second trilogy will likely end up being... movies they also did. Adam Driver was probably always going to do BlacKKKlansman and Marriage Story. Isaac would also have done X-Men: Apocalypse and Dune (out in 2020). Daisy Ridley and John Boyega probably would have had smaller, more British-based careers if not for the second trilogy, but neither of them really seem to want "Rey" and "Finn" to be the only characters they're known for playing, especially Ridley.

In the prequel movies the best known star to be in all three at the point of TPM was McGregor for Trainspotting. Natalie Portman was off Leon: The Professional. Star Wars: The Phantom Menace gave them a huge boost of exposure to general audiences and probably a bigger, better selection of roles. There's an argument to be made that they owe their current careers to appearing in the prequel trilogy.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Everyone posted:

I liked the John Carter movie. I wished we'd gotten a sequel/series out of it.

That's been the Disney business model from the beginning. I mean think about it. Is there any other corporation that's actually loved by people? You might eat Heinz ketchup or fuel your vehicle at Exxon, but it's not like your heart beats a little faster with joy at the thought of that. Walt Disney bascially created a consumer "church." Kids loved Disney stuff and grew to adults who still loved it and their own kids loved it.

I think the second series is a little different because two of the four main stars (Adam Driver and Oscar Isaac) already had decently successful careers prior to TFA. They were already on a good career path. The second trilogy will likely end up being... movies they also did. Adam Driver was probably always going to do BlacKKKlansman and Marriage Story. Isaac would also have done X-Men: Apocalypse and Dune (out in 2020). Daisy Ridley and John Boyega probably would have had smaller, more British-based careers if not for the second trilogy, but neither of them really seem to want "Rey" and "Finn" to be the only characters they're known for playing, especially Ridley.

In the prequel movies the best known star to be in all three at the point of TPM was McGregor for Trainspotting. Natalie Portman was off Leon: The Professional. Star Wars: The Phantom Menace gave them a huge boost of exposure to general audiences and probably a bigger, better selection of roles. There's an argument to be made that they owe their current careers to appearing in the prequel trilogy.

Wasn’t Samuel L Jackson in all three prequels?

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

Just saw it on Christmas and it was everything I wanted, and more. A perfect way to wrap up the trilogy. I was skeptical when they brought in JJ, but I'm glad he got to wrap up the story and bring closure to the lingering plot holes.

There was an endless supply of scenes that gave me chills. Luke finally getting to move his x-wing, the tragic end to Rei and Ben Solo's arc, the music shift as you realize she is in the throne room- Anthony Daniel's cameo- any sequences involving the Falcon- I could go on and and on.

I love the fact that the director actually listened to fan feedback for a change, like bringing back the mysticism to the force and relegating Rose to a background character.

When Rei buried the lightsaber back where it all began, I had to struggle to hold back my tears. The movie wasn't without faults (I rolled my eyes at the kiss like are you serious? Was that really neccesary??), but overall it did everything I wanted it to do.

My only question is, where do we go from here?

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012
Into the garbage

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

I said come in! posted:

Star Wars in particular also has a problem with China where the originals never got some huge release and/or media campaign for it. The sequels, TFA notably since it's the first impression they got, are completely reliant on "I remember that" both to get butts in seats and to make any sense at all as films. Why Disney expected a nation that had never seen the films to be nostalgic for them is a baffling decision.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Anthony Daniels didn't "cameo," he played one of the main characters

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Bioshuffle posted:

Just saw it on Christmas and it was everything I wanted, and more. A perfect way to wrap up the trilogy. I was skeptical when they brought in JJ, but I'm glad he got to wrap up the story and bring closure to the lingering plot holes.

There was an endless supply of scenes that gave me chills. Luke finally getting to move his x-wing, the tragic end to Rei and Ben Solo's arc, the music shift as you realize she is in the throne room- Anthony Daniel's cameo- any sequences involving the Falcon- I could go on and and on.

I love the fact that the director actually listened to fan feedback for a change, like bringing back the mysticism to the force and relegating Rose to a background character.

When Rei buried the lightsaber back where it all began, I had to struggle to hold back my tears. The movie wasn't without faults (I rolled my eyes at the kiss like are you serious? Was that really neccesary??), but overall it did everything I wanted it to do.

OctoberCountry posted:

Into the garbage

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Bioshuffle posted:

source your quotes

Dishwasher
Dec 5, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

Pollyanna posted:

Really? What happened? What made you change your mind?

Rewatches! Where passable movies on first watch go to loving die.

I think it was letting the film breathe a few days, divorcing myself of the hype (2 year wait, 24 hour news cycle with the leaks, watching it with a loud and positive Day 1 crowd who encouraged me to overlook the dumb poo poo), rewatching TLJ just before which I now really love, and watching it with a friend who openly slagged it off with me joining in once we both realized it was gutter wank.

I still think its...not worthless. But its definitely aggressively stupid. I'm still All In for X-XII or whatever is next. I'm still a fan and will still watch the ST just like I watch the PT still, despite both being not what I would have wanted from continuations.

The Dark Horse comics run, old EU Thrawn, and Rebels remains the best post OT Star Wars full stop though.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Bioshuffle posted:

:agreed:

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Bioshuffle posted:

Did we watch the same movie? Instead of closure, I saw never ending hooks and teasers.

The continuing adventures of Lando and the girl 1/3rd his age.

The hidden but not even a little destroyed lightsaber.

Ewok Christmas 2.

Palpatines other grandchildren.

Let alone all the major characters are alive, rey/kylo can have a divorce, a kid, who knows romance out if nowhere because the kiss fit the scene (not the characters)

It's good someone liked it though, movies are supposed to be fun.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
kylo is very much not alive duder

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I give it 50/50. Palpatine didn't die, rey can create life at some scale. If a show/sequel needs him, he's not dead.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Intel&Sebastian posted:

As the only sequel character who was in any way liked by the audience, and most importantly, successfully marketable in any way, you can bet your rear end Disney is trying to find a way to resurrect him.

Dishwasher
Dec 5, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

galagazombie posted:

As the only sequel character who was in any way liked by the audience, and most importantly, successfully marketable in any way, you can bet your rear end Disney is trying to find a way to resurrect him.

Rebels already invented time travel just to bring back a 'popular but obscure compared to the movies' character. Kylo is way more popular and is the only one people seem to 'like' in the ST without caveats. That box is already opened, probably for this specific reason.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Pollyanna posted:

Making movies costs a lot of money. Isn't there a graph out there detailing how Disney is still in the hole on Star Wars?

Also, haven't merch sales been declining for a while now?

They paid off the 4 billion from Merch before FA came out on blu Ray. The Merch May be in decline, but the insane amount they make from it is still insane. Saying the series is fading is a bit like people talking about Apple being doomed. Their airpod sales for a quarter is 4 billion. Just their AirPods.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

I give it 50/50. Palpatine didn't die, rey can create life at some scale. If a show/sequel needs him, he's not dead.

Ben Solo is back but he's 1/3 the size now.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

Did people just sleep through the movie? It's explained over and over again that the person who gives his life and disappears is Ben Solo, not Kylo Ren. They are literally not the same character. They behave like completely different people. Kylo Ren wouldn't have shrugged like his dad. That was Ben Solo.

I just find it funny how some of the most vocal critics of the movie seem to have no grasp of the basic things that even my 9 year old had no trouble grasping.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I think ken ben will return, with bringing him back being the thin end of the wedge to save the franchise by bringing back all the Characters You Like. Note especially that of the sequel trilogy mains, driver is the only one who didn't sign the "never ever working on star wars again" pledge

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

Bioshuffle posted:

Did people just sleep through the movie? It's explained over and over again that the person who gives his life and disappears is Ben Solo, not Kylo Ren. They are literally not the same character. They behave like completely different people. Kylo Ren wouldn't have shrugged like his dad. That was Ben Solo.

I just find it funny how some of the most vocal critics of the movie seem to have no grasp of the basic things that even my 9 year old had no trouble grasping.

Oh poo poo I guess that means they can bring back Anakin!!!!

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Ben Solo is back but he's 1/3 the size now.

Baby Kylo Ren

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Has Rian ever said what he was up to when he had no one show up to answer the resistance call for help in TLJ?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Kylo should not have been redeemed for no reason.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Has Rian ever said what he was up to when he had no one show up to answer the resistance call for help in TLJ?

"We have everything we need right here."

Shortly before that a significant number of their friends, comrades, and allies, were killed in the dark void of space.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Nobody responded because they all thought it would be pointless, the First Order is just too powerful. As Leia says, "the galaxy has lost its hope". Episode 9 followed up on this, to its credit. I can't remember the exact dialogue but Poe talked about how nobody came to help them and if they want allies they need to give people hope

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I think it was just "please don't loving remake ROTJ for the last part of the trilogy."

Unbeknownst to him, JJ was perfectly content creating a clusterfuck just to avoid having an original idea

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

MonsterEnvy posted:

Kylo should not have been redeemed for no reason.

But in my fanfics, he

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

2house2fly posted:

Nobody responded because they all thought it would be pointless, the First Order is just too powerful. As Leia says, "the galaxy has lost its hope". Episode 9 followed up on this, to its credit. I can't remember the exact dialogue but Poe talked about how nobody came to help them and if they want allies they need to give people hope

But then this was followed up with literally nothing. No one was given hope, they just showed up anyways because Lando.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

At least the final fight scene being extremely anime is true to the original trilogy also ripping off Japanese cinema.