Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Also slightly confusing-getting lumber quoted as $/MBF which is thousand board feet not million board feet.

See also MBtu, which is 1000 BTUs, because apparently Roman numerals are cool. Oh, but don't get confused with MMBtu, which is a million BTUs.

Also fun is the freedom unit for BTUs with respect to time, Tons, which is the amount of BTUs required to freeze a ton (weight ton) of water into ice over a day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Jaded Burnout posted:

At least we all agree on what a billion is these days.

(1 week of the US military budget)

try less than 13 hours of the US military budget ($698.5B for 2019)*

*discretionary budget only, does not include supplemental and nondiscretionary spending

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Dec 27, 2019

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

Jaded Burnout posted:

Roughly 1/100th of the Mormon Church's (known) holdings?

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Jaded Burnout posted:

More like 1/10th of a week smdh

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
Its easy, execute the religious, the military and the politicians. :smug:

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I worked deli for 3 years. I would have given you 9-10 oz and if anyone bitched about less than an ounce, I just ate the slice or two I took out later.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

stealie72 posted:

Don't make me go off on a tangent about how the metric system makes tons of sense for educated people, but imperial measurement made more sense for an uneducated population to get close enough.

That's just not true. We're dumb as gently caress in Australia and we use metric just fine.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Leperflesh posted:

try less than 13 hours of the US military budget ($698.5B for 2019)*

*discretionary budget only, does not include supplemental and nondiscretionary spending

I apologise for underestimating your garbage country. If it helps the UK government spends 0.1% of GDP on web hosting.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

rndmnmbr posted:

I don't... i don't understand... fractions of a pound? Am I the only one who orders two pounds of deli meat and a pound of sliced cheese and then proceed to eat them rolled up, no bread, just dipped straight in the mustard jar, 2 AM, in my underwear, in front of the open fridge door, like an animal?

While I do generally buy the grab & go pre-packed cold cuts and make sandwiches or wraps for my work lunches, I'm only slightly ashamed to admit I also frequently buy the pre-packaged "slices of prosciutto and mozzarella wrapped together" pack and devour it in my car like some kind of monster on the way home from Kroger.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

B-Nasty posted:

See also MBtu, which is 1000 BTUs, because apparently Roman numerals are cool. Oh, but don't get confused with MMBtu, which is a million BTUs.

Also fun is the freedom unit for BTUs with respect to time, Tons, which is the amount of BTUs required to freeze a ton (weight ton) of water into ice over a day.

There’s also the use of BTU as a unit of power, with an unstated denominator of one hour.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Wasabi the J posted:

I worked deli for 3 years. I would have given you 9-10 oz and if anyone bitched about less than an ounce, I just ate the slice or two I took out later.

This entire conversation is why I just ask for "about 3cm of thinly sliced" and avoid weights altogether.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Megillah Gorilla posted:

This entire conversation is why I just ask for "about 3cm of thinly sliced" and avoid weights altogether.

Gimme two fingers of roast beef.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
Good evening sir I would like 11/32nds of a stone of roast ham please!

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Riddle me this, Butcherman!

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
Slice me off a hand of ham, sir.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Jaded Burnout posted:

I thought a mil was a thou D:

It's also 1/1000 radians of arc!

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Slice me off a hand of ham, sir.

And yet Americans would think nothing of asking for a foot :hmmyes:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Megillah Gorilla posted:

thinly sliced what

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Jaded Burnout posted:

I thought a mil was a thou D:

LOL years ago I had to learn to interpret the ramblings of my aging and post deaf machinist father in law. "This dial ain't perfect but it gets you within a couple thou and that's good enough for me. If I got 3 phase running I could finish the rest with my surface grinder."

B-Nasty posted:

Banking also uses M and MM. Mil meaning thousand and mil mil meaning a thousand thousands.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

stealie72 posted:

Don't make me go off on a tangent about how the metric system makes tons of sense for educated people, but imperial measurement made more sense for an uneducated population to get close enough.

I'd actually be interested in that tangent.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Pounds and ounces makes it easy to ask for 5/16ths of a pound.
I've never had to, but it's nice to know that's out there

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

canyoneer posted:

Pounds and ounces makes it easy to ask for 5/16ths of a pound.
I've never had to, but it's nice to know that's out there

That would confuse someone. But so would probably asking for 5 ounces.....

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Lord Zedd-Repulsa posted:

It’s easier to precisely divide things into halves by eye or with simple equipment, like by measuring length with a string and folding it over on itself, or halving mass by putting it on either side of a balance beam scale, or cutting a pizza (representing angular measure) repeatedly into halves.

Imperial units sometimes let you do this indefinitely, and other times it divides units into threes and sevens because gently caress you.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Lord Zedd-Repulsa posted:

I cant find the excellent article I read on this and will probably get it wrong. Basically, metric is great if you have a population that can do basic math in their head (like most modern populations). A math literate population is familiar with knowing things like half of 5 centimeters is 2.5 centimeters. There is also an infinite amount of sizes, weights, etc. that things can logically be (400 grams of deli meat), since the numbers arent fractional.

Imperial measurements are based on things that are easy to halve and quarter (16 ounces, 12 inches), which is easier for a less-educated population to deal with, since fractions are (initially) easier to understand, as they are literally unsolved math problems, unlike decimal math. Imperial also has naturally stepped sizes/divisions of things, like 1/2, 1/8, 1/16th, etc. This is bad for precision (as exemplified by this discussion starting over 2/5ths of deli meat), but great for simplicity when you're dealing with a 19th century population that didnt get a ton of school time.

Of course, it doesn't help that it took a long time to standardize things like a cup and a foot, and dumb poo poo like a tablespoon still exists instead of just calling it a half ounce.

Metric is clearly better and I wish the US would figure it the gently caress out, but imperial is not without its reasons.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Of course the supposed benefits of these traditional units are eroded by a whole bunch of legacy bullshit

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
That illustration hides some things under the rig.

There can’t be both two yards to the fathom and a thousand fathoms to the nautical mile. That would imply that there are six thousand feet in a nautical mile. The illustration itself confirms that there are not.

A fathom fits either of those definitions, depending on who’s talking.

Likewise, a league isn’t unambiguously three nautical miles. It’s three (shorter) statute miles on land.

Even survey miles and statue miles differ, though only minutely.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Dec 28, 2019

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Also, in Scandinavia a mile was 36,000 feet (and is now 10 km)

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Platystemon posted:

It’s easier to precisely divide things into halves by eye or with simple equipment, like by measuring length with a string and folding it over on itself, or halving mass by putting it on either side of a balance beam scale, or cutting a pizza (representing angular measure) repeatedly into halves.

Imperial units sometimes let you do this indefinitely, and other times it divides units into threes and sevens because gently caress you.

This is also why cloud cover is still measured in oktas, or eighths, because you can look up and mentally divide the sky in two a few times, vs trying to divide it into 10.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Tunicate posted:

thinly sliced what

Of whatever luncheonmeat I feel like cramming down my gullet at the time.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The only useful American unit is ESK.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
A twip of seranno ham my good meatsmith,

schmug
May 20, 2007

This really is an amazing derail. voted 4/10.

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

Tunicate posted:

thinly sliced what

Does it really matter?

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

GotLag posted:

Of course the supposed benefits of these traditional units are eroded by a whole bunch of legacy bullshit

This is pretty amazing, I think I'll get it tattooed on my body for quick reference.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

GotLag posted:

This chart shattered my psyche and now I am but a shade of my former self

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7x-RGfd0Yk

Space Kablooey fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Dec 29, 2019

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

schmug posted:

This really is an amazing derail. voted 4/10.

I'd give it no more than 13/32.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

cakesmith handyman posted:

I'd give it no more than 13/32.

Is that in degrees Celsius or Fahrenheit?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

wesleywillis posted:

Is that in degrees Celsius or Fahrenheit?

First one, then the other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiwWaIvIeao

ElectroBOOM: 'Let me do something so dangerous that you know it is deliberate because no-one could be that negligent'
Contractor: 'Hello!'

Shut up Meg fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Dec 28, 2019