Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dudermcbrohan
May 14, 2013
i’m glad that kazami just looks like a best friend character from devil survivor in real life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bondster
May 6, 2007

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2019-12-26/gundam-build-divers-re-rise-anime-2nd-season-premieres-in-april/.154778

Dang didn’t realize it was gonna take a break

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Yeah that's a weird cliffhanger. "The show has finally gotten good! Come back in three months to see if we can keep it up!"

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

I laughed at the fact that the only way they could have made the "Kill 500 Leos" quest super hard was by restricting you to only one weapon. :v:

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I just hope we have more Tiny May antics outside of GBN, it was fun seeing her lose her usual composure. I love her wee little house and bar counter :allears:.

There's a cute implication that the person who taught her how to hail a taxi also taught her you're supposed to pout if it passes you by.

Gripweed posted:

Yeah that's a weird cliffhanger. "The show has finally gotten good! Come back in three months to see if we can keep it up!"

Honestly, I'm fine with this hiatus since it gives them more time to plot out the rest of the story.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Gotta love Gundam. I'm back on a Gundam kick lately, watching the classic MSG series. When I got into it back in the day it was via the excellent movie trilogy, then the Zeta series when those DVDs hit etc. So now I'm taking in the full series, and that'll be cool. And I get to see that episode Tomino didn't release here and stuff, that's interesting. Also got the Char's Counterattack blu-ray, yessir. That's a classic.

For stuff I never got around to, I'm thinking I'll watch ZZ Gundam, since I only ever watched the first couple episodes, and it sounds interesting overall. Also I only watched a couple of Reconguista, sounds like a mixed bag, but it's cool to hear Tomino is directing a bunch of compilation movies for that. Just nice to see that guy keeping busy. I've also never watched G-Gundam, a bit different, but I love Giant Robo by that director, so I think I'll enjoy it. And still haven't tried Unicorn, Thunderbolt, etc. Lotta Gundam out there.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

amigolupus posted:

Honestly, I'm fine with this hiatus since it gives them more time to plot out the rest of the story.

Yeah if your going to have a break this is a good place as it has a very good hook to bring you back (Save the world, save the Diver stuck in the world and being used by the bad guy) but not to mean of a cliffhanger that it annoys you.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Its extremely inspired to build a tiny miniature house with a tiny bar next to it inside of a real bar

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

That was a cool house too, I'm wondering if there's some story there. Like if it's based off a famous real house or if it's something you could build with some Japanese architectural toy set or something.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Gripweed posted:

That was a cool house too, I'm wondering if there's some story there. Like if it's based off a famous real house or if it's something you could build with some Japanese architectural toy set or something.

Could be a scratch build too. It's a series about plastic model enthusiasts and a pretty wide proliferation of 3D Printers and small scale injection molders.

I honestly can't believe how invested I am in this show right now. I missed the original Build Fighters when it aired and watched it all retroactively, but I don't think I quite felt compelled to watch like I do with Re:Rise. I hope the back half pays off on the rather careful build up the first half made.

edit: I mean, poo poo. We 3D printed Groverhaus. With an interior. If someone can recreate that architectural monstrosity in real life, people in Re:Rise can build a functional and aesthetically pleasing dollhouse.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Nessus posted:

That commenter's soul confirmed weighed down by gravity

i unironically feel like 95% of Gundam's western fanbase are just AnimeNazi's at this point :v:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Its extremely inspired to build a tiny miniature house with a tiny bar next to it inside of a real bar

Thinking on it a little more, I reckon it needs a little garage for the WaDom Pod.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Race Realists posted:

i unironically feel like 95% of Gundam's western fanbase are just AnimeNazi's at this point :v:

I mean at least on the internet this is true of any sufficiently large nerd fandom it seems.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

I mean at least on the internet this is true of any sufficiently large nerd fandom it seems.

when theyre just a little too apologetic to the literal SpaceHitler characters and a little too into zeon iconography/mantra

i wish i could say it's limited to the internet buutt...

BornAPoorBlkChild fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Dec 27, 2019

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
like the Warhammer4K/Zeon Fanboy Venn Diagram is just a perfect circle :v:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Race Realists posted:

like the Warhammer4K/Zeon Fanboy Venn Diagram is just a perfect circle :v:

Also Star Wars Empire fans.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Race Realists posted:

I kind of doubt it, I know a lot of relatively left Gundam fans, or at the least "not Nazis." I do think the online discourse gets hogged up by people who want to Sieg Zeon, and I've noticed a kind of gross subtext to a lot of it which often elides and overshadows the actual messages of the work.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

zeon shmeon, stan zanscare

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Also Star Wars Empire fans.

Bingo. they all seem to have a penchant for Fictional authoritarianism

BornAPoorBlkChild fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Dec 27, 2019

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

My favourite variant is the type who complains about the jokes in Starship Troopers detracting from the serious tone

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
It mostly comes down to Zeon's aesthetic overall being cooler than the Federation's traditionally*, not counting the Titans anyways

*they only really started getting any real headway when more recent productions like Unicorn started having Federation stuff have more in the way of a "tacti-cool" style to it

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ImpAtom posted:

I don't think it's the majority, it's just like most groups where the shitheads are a loud vocal minority that seems like it represents the majority.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Also what I said about aesthetics basically applies to most fictional universes with a group that are supposed to be Nazi standins, unfortunately the fact is that the Nazis had a good aesthetic going for them in terms of being villains, so using aspects of that aesthetic for villains in fiction is an easy way to make them standout(not to mention is very Toyetic), which unfortunately also attracts shitheads of various sorts(as well as people who aren't intentionally being shitheads but whose ignorance leads them to come off as it)

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I think the real keystone design for Gundam is the Zaku, weirdly enough, just because it contextualizes everything else. Stuff like the Zakrello or generic battleships would just be like "oh ok they're like Dr. Hell but it's a space army," but the Zaku (and its many descendants) put the Gundam in a relationship with the setting.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I don't think it's the majority, it's just like most groups where the shitheads are a loud vocal minority that seems like it represents the majority.

Especially when you go looking for them.

I mean, hell. Youtube comments are the absolute dregs of humanity to begin with, and if you're willing to dredge up ones from years ago, you'll be able to find any kind of absolute rear end in a top hat you could want.

Figure there's enough crap in the world without going out of your way to give assholes a platform just so you can crow about how much better you are than them.

Nessus posted:

I think the real keystone design for Gundam is the Zaku, weirdly enough, just because it contextualizes everything else. Stuff like the Zakrello or generic battleships would just be like "oh ok they're like Dr. Hell but it's a space army," but the Zaku (and its many descendants) put the Gundam in a relationship with the setting.

Yeah, that's part of why I like IBO. When you can look at a bunch of random Mobile Suits and go "Oh, this came from this, and inspired that" it makes the world feel more real.

Just having Zakus around every week lets you feel like Zeon is an army instead of a collection of colorful supervillains.

chiasaur11 fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Dec 27, 2019

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Heavy Metal posted:

Gotta love Gundam. I'm back on a Gundam kick lately, watching the classic MSG series. When I got into it back in the day it was via the excellent movie trilogy, then the Zeta series when those DVDs hit etc. So now I'm taking in the full series, and that'll be cool. And I get to see that episode Tomino didn't release here and stuff, that's interesting. Also got the Char's Counterattack blu-ray, yessir. That's a classic.

For stuff I never got around to, I'm thinking I'll watch ZZ Gundam, since I only ever watched the first couple episodes, and it sounds interesting overall. Also I only watched a couple of Reconguista, sounds like a mixed bag, but it's cool to hear Tomino is directing a bunch of compilation movies for that. Just nice to see that guy keeping busy. I've also never watched G-Gundam, a bit different, but I love Giant Robo by that director, so I think I'll enjoy it. And still haven't tried Unicorn, Thunderbolt, etc. Lotta Gundam out there.

Probably the best way to get into ZZ Gundam is by thinking of it more as a sitcom with the occasional serious/sad Gundam elements. Bright has to put up with so much wacky teenage hijinks in this show, it's great.

Warmachine posted:

edit: I mean, poo poo. We 3D printed Groverhaus. With an interior. If someone can recreate that architectural monstrosity in real life, people in Re:Rise can build a functional and aesthetically pleasing dollhouse.

Whoa whoa whoa, hold on. Goons 3D printed Groverhaus? Which thread was this in? I want to see that hilarious trainwreck.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Race Realists posted:

Bingo. they all seem to have a penchant for Fictional authoritarianism

They all seem to have a penchant for real life authoritarianism too. I want to say I just don't understand how they can't separate the appealing aesthetic and the fact that space fascists are the baddies, and then square enjoying the aesthetic without subscribing to the ideology, but then I remember for them the ideology is a feature not a bug.

Like, Norris Packard is one of the coolest motherfuckers in the OYW, and his Gouf Custom is iconic, but he still fights for Space Hitler. Same with Ramba Ral. They're sympathetic because they're human beings suffering in a war, and their views may not 100% align with Ghiren's vision of a superior spacenoid race, but they're still Space Wehrmacht standing in between me and sacking Space Berlin.

amigolupus posted:

Probably the best way to get into ZZ Gundam is by thinking of it more as a sitcom with the occasional serious/sad Gundam elements. Bright has to put up with so much wacky teenage hijinks in this show, it's great.

Whoa whoa whoa, hold on. Goons 3D printed Groverhaus? Which thread was this in? I want to see that hilarious trainwreck.

C-SPAM has you covered. If you read the rest of the thread, you may find the bonus Groverhaus episode of the "Well There's Your Problem" podcast that you normally gotta pay $2 on Patreon for.

Bulgakov posted:

:eyepop:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3924308

i don't think i'd seen that version

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

dogsicle posted:

zeon shmeon, stan zanscare

gently caress yeah, by reviving the biking traditions of the middle ages, I have become unstoppable!

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Just lol if you don’t support an empire based on sweet motorcycles and hot bikini babes.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
As long as you don't go full Katejina it'll be fun. Actually, minus her bad end, going full Katejina could be fun.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Ethiser posted:

Just lol if you don’t support an empire based on sweet motorcycles and hot bikini babes.

I cannot, in good conscience, support an empire that produces Char clones that lovely.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

Especially when you go looking for them.

I mean, hell. Youtube comments are the absolute dregs of humanity to begin with, and if you're willing to dredge up ones from years ago, you'll be able to find any kind of absolute rear end in a top hat you could want.

Figure there's enough crap in the world without going out of your way to give assholes a platform just so you can crow about how much better you are than them

sorry?... :(

Tulalip Tulips posted:

As long as you don't go full Katejina it'll be fun. Actually, minus her bad end, going full Katejina could be fun.

she got off extremely light considering other Tomino villians

BornAPoorBlkChild fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Dec 28, 2019

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.

Race Realists posted:

she got off extremely light considering other Tomino villians

True. You could argue she doesn't even have the worst end in Zanscare. Fuala getting completely mind warped first by that weird space stranding execution, then by Marbet's fetus, sticks out to me. Outside of Uso's mom's insans death and Chronicle's, it's one of the weirder ones.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
https://twitter.com/pKjd/status/1209009628668776448

just remake the loving show already, Bandai.

nobody under 35 is watching those goddamn compilation films (especially after the Origin OAVs stunning animation). you can't keep riding off the coattails of that trilogy forever.

this franchise will continue to lose money because of absolute incompetence on the part of the Execs

BornAPoorBlkChild fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Dec 28, 2019

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I'm under 35 and have gotten other under-35ers to watch the compilation films. :smith:

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Raxivace posted:

I'm under 35 and have gotten other under-35ers to watch the compilation films. :smith:

Exception to the rule

im talking about in terms of getting casuals into UC gundam.

Can someone explain to me the entire purpose of those Origin OAVs if they never intended to do a complete adaptation of the manga?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Race Realists posted:

Exception to the rule

im talking about in terms of getting casuals into UC gundam.

Can someone explain to me the entire purpose of those Origin OAVs if they never intended to do a complete adaptation of the manga?

It was adapting specifically the part of the manga that had never before been animated and also which was super focused around Popular Character Char.

A complete adaptation of the manga is not so easy a task. Origin is only a small part of it and making an entire show that looks that good would take $$$

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

It was adapting specifically the part of the manga that had never before been animated and also which was super focused around Popular Character Char.

A complete adaptation of the manga is not so easy a task. Origin is only a small part of it and making an entire show that looks that good would take $$$

Just do an OAV series ala LOGH/Berserkminus the lovely cgi

Make it a yearly thing with two or three 1-hour films set on a particular arc on the manga

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
I don't want The Origin with that shite rear end CGI. It looks loving ugly, choppy as gently caress like the framerate's dropped to the sub-10s and it makes Char look slow.

How the gently caress is it 2019, almost 2020 and Zoids is still the premier "CGI battles look cool"?

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

zeon could have won if they had shield ligers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

GulagDolls posted:

zeon could have won if they had shield Liger Zero Panzers

:v: